ImageImageImageImage

Magic have waived Zimmerman

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

magicman112
Head Coach
And1: 1,888

Re: Magic have waived Zimmerman 

Post#41 » by magicman112 » Wed Jul 5, 2017 5:46 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
Howard Mass wrote:
drsd wrote:
With the Magic trading out of 25, and now this, these nickel and dime ways of creating cap space are a bit perplexing. Maybe the Magic simply did the math and calculated what is need to provide early extensions to Gordon and Payton; and that is that ????

Waiving Stephen Zimmerman was not about room to give Gordon and Payton extensions. It would have only guaranteed his deal for this season and that would not effect possible extensions.

They simply did not want to guarantee his deal at this time with all the potential bargains out there in free agency added to his poor performance.

I think Zimmerman would be a good addition for a team as a two-way player. He has potential but needs a lot of work.

On the 25th pick, they choose the future first and second or three future seconds option. We are going to see how that plays out over the years.

We'll probably forget by then, should have kept the pick and took someone. Very dumb trade.

People were wondering why Ainge took those picks from the Nets back when that trade was made saying "Oh you never know where those picks are going to end up why would you do that?" And look now, top three pick in this draft and very good chance they get the top pick again next season. Now we're not talking about multiple first rounders in our case but there's an example of what can play out.
mark_comix
Freshman
And1: 10

Post#42 » by mark_comix » Wed Jul 5, 2017 5:52 pm

People who is angry with Zimmerman departure it is the same that it was angry with Daniel Orton departure also. And now Orton is an all star in.....? Hi-Tech Bangkok City!!. Sorry people, but not all draft selections are key players. Sometimes we need to let it go
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,602

Post#43 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Jul 5, 2017 5:55 pm

Skin wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:Last season, a few people were saying Zim was better than Vooch, but needed more minutes to prove himself, lol

For me, the driving factor was that I'm in constant search for a replacement over Vuc. I think he needs to go at all costs. I think the longer we keep him, the worse his trade value gets. Zim was playing well at the D-League level, and he looked like he deserved some playing time.

I'm pretty sure there are some here justifying this move because of some bad SL play, and it's not a big deal that he's gone, but there are fans that applaud every move the Magic make too.

I'll be happy about this move in an instant if we find someone better to take his place.

For me, Bizmark needs to go at all costs. At least Vooch is a starting caliber center on a great deal whereas Biz is a horribly overpriced backup with too many holes in his game. You have a right to hate on players who don't live up to your expectations. I understand that but Vooch is better that haters decredit him for.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#44 » by Skin » Wed Jul 5, 2017 6:14 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:
Skin wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:Last season, a few people were saying Zim was better than Vooch, but needed more minutes to prove himself, lol

For me, the driving factor was that I'm in constant search for a replacement over Vuc. I think he needs to go at all costs. I think the longer we keep him, the worse his trade value gets. Zim was playing well at the D-League level, and he looked like he deserved some playing time.

I'm pretty sure there are some here justifying this move because of some bad SL play, and it's not a big deal that he's gone, but there are fans that applaud every move the Magic make too.

I'll be happy about this move in an instant if we find someone better to take his place.

For me, Bizmark needs to go at all costs. At least Vooch is a starting caliber center on a great deal whereas Biz is a horribly overpriced backup with too many holes in his game. You have a right to hate on players who don't live up to your expectations. I understand that but Vooch is better that haters decredit him for.

In a vacuum, Vuc can be good, but on our team, he is not good. He's a big part of the reason why our growth has been stunted.

Biz is damn expensive, but he is more of a team player.

AG would grow a hell of a lot more playing next to Biz than he would playing next to Vuc.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,924

Post#45 » by drsd » Wed Jul 5, 2017 6:16 pm

magicman112 wrote: People were wondering why Ainge took those picks from the Nets back when that trade was made saying "Oh you never know where those picks are going to end up why would you do that?" And look now, top three pick in this draft and very good chance they get the top pick again next season. Now we're not talking about multiple first rounders in our case but there's an example of what can play out.

And the Magic can also have traded a low 1st for two 2nds of unknown standing.

This is a play-it-forward gamble on GM Hammond's part, and it means that he did not see value at 25.

PennytoShaq
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 5,218

Post#46 » by PennytoShaq » Wed Jul 5, 2017 6:24 pm

Skin wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:
Skin wrote:For me, the driving factor was that I'm in constant search for a replacement over Vuc. I think he needs to go at all costs. I think the longer we keep him, the worse his trade value gets. Zim was playing well at the D-League level, and he looked like he deserved some playing time.

In a vacuum, Vuc can be good, but on our team, he is not good. He's a big part of the reason why our growth has been stunted.

AG would grow a hell of a lot more playing next to Biz than he would playing next to Vuc.

Yeah, the hate against Biz has reached epic proportions. Let's just be real about it. The TEAM did not live up to expectations. The coach was the one saying "Playoffs!!!" and that big ball was the secret,etc. Bizmack came from a team that had a modern lineup with athletes who played fast and let Biz play his game on defense.

Vogel had biz doing insane amounts of work on defense compared to Vuc. It was night and day out there. Plus he played with the bench unit many times, who was godawful. And then when he started, he was getting the ball at super odd angles under the rim half the time. You give a guy with no offense the ball in that situation, and it's always a bad look.

We signed the contract. It's over. Now it's time to let the guy play with guys around him that can actually defend the perimeter. If Biz still sucks then - fine. But a lot of guys were put in awful situations for their skillset last year. Biz was definitely in that category.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,602

Post#47 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Jul 5, 2017 8:01 pm

PennytoShaq wrote:
Skin wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:

Yeah, the hate against Biz has reached epic proportions. Let's just be real about it. The TEAM did not live up to expectations. The coach was the one saying "Playoffs!!!" and that big ball was the secret,etc. Bizmack came from a team that had a modern lineup with athletes who played fast and let Biz play his game on defense.

Vogel had biz doing insane amounts of work on defense compared to Vuc. It was night and day out there. Plus he played with the bench unit many times, who was godawful. And then when he started, he was getting the ball at super odd angles under the rim half the time. You give a guy with no offense the ball in that situation, and it's always a bad look.

We signed the contract. It's over. Now it's time to let the guy play with guys around him that can actually defend the perimeter. If Biz still sucks then - fine. But a lot of guys were put in awful situations for their skillset last year. Biz was definitely in that category.

Lets get real here. Biz played as bad as last year for the Raptors during the regular season. He had one good playoff series and all of a sudden people think he is good after six years of mediocrity. This is akin to saying that BBD had the right team around him, he would make those around him better. :o

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,960

Post#48 » by Xatticus » Wed Jul 5, 2017 8:03 pm

PennytoShaq wrote:
Skin wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:

Biyombo's contract is looking pretty ridiculous right now, but I'd be stunned if our front office found a way to move it. I'm not at all convinced that there is any urgency from our front office to move either of our centers, but if there is, I'd expect that Vucevic would be the one to go.

I wouldn't part with anything of value to get off of Biyombo's contract and the contract aside, I really don't think he's a problem. He isn't in any danger of regressing and he seems to have the character our new front office has stated a preference for.

I think it's a bit of a blessing in disguise that we don't have too much money to work with right now. I think the playoffs are a reasonable target this season if we can find a few cost-effective pieces to fix our bench. The east is looking incredibly weak right now and our starting lineup really wasn't that bad last year. If we did have that money available for this summer, there would be a really good chance that we'd be throwing a contract at a player that could do a lot more damage to our long-term outlook than Biyombo. I believe Biyombo is a quality piece to have on a roster of young guys you are trying to develop.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
PennytoShaq

Post#49 » by PennytoShaq » Wed Jul 5, 2017 8:09 pm

Xatticus wrote:
PennytoShaq wrote:
Skin wrote:In a vacuum, Vuc can be good, but on our team, he is not good. He's a big part of the reason why our growth has been stunted.

Biyombo's contract is looking pretty ridiculous right now, but I'd be stunned if our front office found a way to move it. I'm not at all convinced that there is any urgency from our front office to move either of our centers, but if there is, I'd expect that Vucevic would be the one to go.

I wouldn't part with anything of value to get off of Biyombo's contract and the contract aside, I really don't think he's a problem. He isn't in any danger of regressing and he seems to have the character our new front office has stated a preference for.

I think it's a bit of a blessing in disguise that we don't have too much money to work with right now. I think the playoffs are a reasonable target this season if we can find a few cost-effective pieces to fix our bench. The east is looking incredibly weak right now and our starting lineup really wasn't that bad last year. If we did have that money available for this summer, there would be a really good chance that we'd be throwing a contract at a player that could do a lot more damage to our long-term outlook than Biyombo. I believe Biyombo is a quality piece to have on a roster of young guys you are trying to develop.

Agree with all of this. Yes, his contract is not great, but he definitely is an asset as a guy who works hard, plays team basketball, and is a leader on the court. Could be much worse.
PennytoShaq

Post#50 » by PennytoShaq » Wed Jul 5, 2017 8:10 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:
PennytoShaq wrote:
Skin wrote:In a vacuum, Vuc can be good, but on our team, he is not good. He's a big part of the reason why our growth has been stunted.

Lets get real here. Biz played as bad as last year for the Raptors during the regular season. He had one good playoff series and all of a sudden people think he is good after six years of mediocrity. This is akin to saying that BBD had the right team around him, he would make those around him better.

Nothing you said has anything to do with that I said.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#51 » by Skin » Wed Jul 5, 2017 8:17 pm

Xatticus wrote:
PennytoShaq wrote:

That's a major point right there. Long, athletic and can switch all over.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,184

Re: RE: Re: Magic have waived Zimmerman 

Post#52 » by Optimus_Steel » Thu Jul 6, 2017 2:25 am

mark_comix wrote:People who is angry with Zimmerman departure it is the same that it was angry with Daniel Orton departure also. And now Orton is an all star in.....? Hi-Tech Bangkok City!!. Sorry people, but not all draft selections are key players. Sometimes we need to let it go

Who is angry?

Sent from my SM-N920V using RealGM mobile app
aka: prorl
OrlandoMagic
Lead Assistant
And1: 435

Post#53 » by OrlandoMagic » Thu Jul 6, 2017 2:47 am

drsd wrote:
magicman112 wrote: People were wondering why Ainge took those picks from the Nets back when that trade was made saying "Oh you never know where those picks are going to end up why would you do that?" And look now, top three pick in this draft and very good chance they get the top pick again next season. Now we're not talking about multiple first rounders in our case but there's an example of what can play out.

And the Magic can also have traded a low 1st for two 2nds of unknown standing.

This is a play-it-forward gamble on GM Hammond's part, and it means that he did not see value at 25.

I actually beg to differ. I think Hammond did find value at 25, but he knew Wesley Iwundu would be in the second round. Remember Hammond and Lloyd have pretty good eyes for talent that seem to slip by others. So why give a guarantee contract out if you don't need to. Getting a future pick is always a positive in my eyes!
Gomagic44
Head Coach
And1: 2,187

Post#54 » by Gomagic44 » Thu Jul 6, 2017 4:42 am

PennytoShaq wrote:
Skin wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,190

Re: RE: Re: Magic have waived Zimmerman 

Post#55 » by cedric76 » Thu Jul 6, 2017 6:40 am

PennytoShaq wrote:
Skin wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:

Amen
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#56 » by OrlandO » Thu Jul 6, 2017 11:43 am

Pretty obvious he was a stiff once we got to watch him play some nba games. He'll need years to even be a decent backup. Not worth the investment or roster spot.
drsd
RealGM

Post#57 » by drsd » Thu Jul 6, 2017 12:15 pm

Veyron
Senior
And1: 509

Post#58 » by Veyron » Thu Jul 6, 2017 1:55 pm

Was watching SL highlists and and then I was like who is this fking fat huge guy ? Then I heard its Zimmerman wtf, did he gained like 120lbs, he seems so much bigger.
drsd
RealGM

Post#59 » by drsd » Thu Jul 6, 2017 4:16 pm

OrlandoMagic wrote:Remember Hammond and Lloyd have pretty good eyes for talent that seem to slip by others.

Case in point ???

mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,884

Post#60 » by mojo13 » Wed Aug 9, 2017 4:21 pm

Signed a partial deal with the Lakers per Woj.

Return to Orlando Magic