ImageImageImageImage

Magic Waive C.J. Watson

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Jiwol
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,296

Re: Magic Waive C.J. Watson 

Post#41 » by Jiwol » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:48 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:
DiplomaticMagic wrote:To me, I feel like our new management hasn't done anything different than Rob would have done

Hmmm coincidence or Alex Martins?

Please stop with the Alex Martins conspiracy. They're probably doing what they can to try and clean this mess up. Watson and Zimermman were dead weight and we waived both of them for guys that could be more impactful. Look, if Birch and Mack can get on the court and contribute even a little its an upgrade over what we had before. They're both short term contract, low risk players and Im fine with it. Now if they can dump bismacks contract, that would be amazing.

I'm not a fan of Mack's signing at all. It's gonna be hard for me to warm up to it. Why use cap space so early on non-factor player?
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#42 » by Blue_and_Whte » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:51 pm

Jiwol wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:

Please stop with the Alex Martins conspiracy. They're probably doing what they can to try and clean this mess up. Watson and Zimermman were dead weight and we waived both of them for guys that could be more impactful. Look, if Birch and Mack can get on the court and contribute even a little its an upgrade over what we had before. They're both short term contract, low risk players and Im fine with it. Now if they can dump bismacks contract, that would be amazing.

I'm not a fan of Mack's signing at all. It's gonna be hard for me to warm up to it. Why use cap space so early on non-factor player?
He's not a non factor. He's contributed to decent teams and fans seem to like his effort attacking the paint and on defense. I'm not selling him as a game changer. But he's been a nice back up for the duration of his career. Who else is going to come here?
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
Jiwol
Assistant Coach

Post#43 » by Jiwol » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:54 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
Jiwol wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:Please stop with the Alex Martins conspiracy. They're probably doing what they can to try and clean this mess up. Watson and Zimermman were dead weight and we waived both of them for guys that could be more impactful. Look, if Birch and Mack can get on the court and contribute even a little its an upgrade over what we had before. They're both short term contract, low risk players and Im fine with it. Now if they can dump bismacks contract, that would be amazing.

He's not a non factor. He's contributed to decent teams and fans seem to like his effort attacking the paint and on defense. I'm not selling him as a game changer. But he's been a nice back up for the duration of his career. Who else is going to come here?

He's redundant here and his contract is too high. Who is going to come? Let's wait and see. We haven't traded DJ so it's not like we desperately needed another PG. We'd be good just by waiting things out and see who's left to pick up with minimum vet salary.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,345

Post#44 » by Knightro » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:00 pm

Jiwol wrote:I'm not a fan of Mack's signing at all. It's gonna be hard for me to warm up to it. Why use cap space so early on non-factor player?

If Mack plays like he has the last two years for Utah, you will notice a difference. He's not a world-beater by any stretch, but the backup PG spot has been a black hole.

I just can't stress enough how *awful* Augustin and Watson both were last year (and CJ the year before that).
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,600

Post#45 » by BadMofoPimp » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:13 pm

Jiwol wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:

If Mack was here during the Dwight days, he would be trashed like Duhon.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#46 » by Skin » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:00 pm

How many teams are out there who's 3rd string backup gets paid $6M per year or more and is a crusty vet who shoots 30% from 3?
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,916

Post#47 » by drsd » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:02 pm

Knightro wrote:Addition by subtraction.

The following players are no longer on the Magic roster.

Wilcox: -8.6 BPM
Zimmerman: -7.3 BPM
Onuaku: -5.9 BPM
Rudez: -4.6 BPM
Green: -4.6 BPM
Watson: -3.6 BPM
Meeks: -1.8 BPM

These seven guys combined to play 3,842 of the 19,805 total minutes for the Magic -- that's 19.4% of the minutes that weren't just bad, were horrendously bad.

Figure out a way to replace DJ (or replace Watson/Meeks with a FA if Mack is DJ's replacement) and you're talking about 27% horrendous minutes being upgraded.

Combine that with increasing our best players (Payton and Gordon specifically, but also Fournier/Ross/Vucevic) from 28-29 MPG to 33-34 MPG and...

You get the picture.

Post of the year!

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#48 » by Knightro » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:24 pm

Skin wrote:How many teams are out there who's 3rd string backup gets paid $6M per year or more and is a crusty vet who shoots 30% from 3?

I think it's very unfair to assume Mack will be the third-string point guard. Until proven otherwise, I'm considering him the primary backup.

Last year's backup PG made 7.25M.

This year's will make somewhere around 6M.

What's the problem?
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,916

Post#49 » by drsd » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:36 pm

Knightro wrote:
Skin wrote:How many teams are out there who's 3rd string backup gets paid $6M per year or more and is a crusty vet who shoots 30% from 3?

I think it's very unfair to assume Mack will be the third-string point guard. Until proven otherwise, I'm considering him the primary backup.

What's the problem?

Augustin is still a Magician. The Magic looks to tie up 13.5M in their two back-ups. That's a lot of coin.

Skin
RealGM

Post#50 » by Skin » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:41 pm

Knightro wrote:

What's the problem?

Are you prematurely assuming DJ will be traded?

Also, it's not just the money... even if I looked beyond his crustiness, he can't shoot. At least Augustin came here with a 40% career 3PT%. We need shooting, shooting and more shooting.... yet we signed a non-shooter. :crazy:
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#51 » by Knightro » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:55 pm

Skin wrote:Are you prematurely assuming DJ will be traded?

Also, it's not just the money... even if I looked beyond his crustiness, he can't shoot. At least Augustin came here with a 40% career 3PT%. We need shooting, shooting and more shooting.... yet we signed a non-shooter. :crazy:

Augustin shot .377/.347 last year. I really don't care much about what he did before he got here. I can only go off what he did when he was year and what he did was play horribly on both ends of the floor.

I will offer you a gentleman's bet right now that Shelvin Mack plays more minutes than DJ Augustin if you're interested.
Skin
RealGM

Post#52 » by Skin » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:09 pm

Knightro wrote:
Skin wrote:Are you prematurely assuming DJ will be traded?

Augustin shot .377/.347 last year. I really don't care much about what he did before he got here. I can only go off what he did when he was year and what he did was play horribly on both ends of the floor.

I will offer you a gentleman's bet right now that Shelvin Mack plays more minutes than DJ Augustin if you're interested.

I will make you a gentleman's bet that Augustin will have a better 3PT%.

But I'm not making that bet because I didn't like Augustin's hero ball last year and I'm not going to stand in his corner. It's like choosing the better of 2 ugly prostitutes. I'm just saying he's a better shooter than Mack.

And if people didn't like Augustin because of his hero ball, they won't like Mack either.
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,332

Post#53 » by MagicMadness » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:53 pm

Jiwol wrote:It started earlier. Ewing, Kemp, Dominique Wilkins - they all finished their careers in Orlando.

And those were players who at their respective peaks were superstars!

Now we get the semi-decent vets that only people who follow NBA basketball recognize. :-?

On that note, I wish we had brought Vince Carter back. Yeah, I said it. I'd rather him be here than on the dysfunctional Kings. He's more productive as a bench player NOW than he was as a starter for us 6 years ago.
PennytoShaq
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 5,218

Post#54 » by PennytoShaq » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:55 pm

Jiwol wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:

Because it is clear that the current FO does not view DJ as an acceptable backup PG. And I agree with that. Mack completely outplayed him when they faced off last season.
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,332

Post#55 » by MagicMadness » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:57 pm

PennytoShaq wrote:
Jiwol wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:Please stop with the Alex Martins conspiracy. They're probably doing what they can to try and clean this mess up. Watson and Zimermman were dead weight and we waived both of them for guys that could be more impactful. Look, if Birch and Mack can get on the court and contribute even a little its an upgrade over what we had before. They're both short term contract, low risk players and Im fine with it. Now if they can dump bismacks contract, that would be amazing.

Because it is clear that the current FO does not view DJ as an acceptable backup PG. And I agree with that. Mack completely outplayed him when they faced off last season.

DJ doesn't play defense, and Elf for some reason gave up on it as well last season.

Mack is at least efficient in that area.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,600

Post#56 » by BadMofoPimp » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:07 pm

MagicMadness wrote:
PennytoShaq wrote:
Jiwol wrote:

DJ doesn't play defense, and Elf for some reason gave up on it as well last season.

Mack is at least efficient in that area.

Duhon used to play defense but that wasn't enough for this crowd! :lol:

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Jiwol
Assistant Coach

Post#57 » by Jiwol » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:07 pm

Knightro wrote:

What's the problem?

The problem is this year's 3rd stringer will make 7,25M. Unless you resolve this, you shouldn't sign 2nd stringer. Mack's signing was unnecessarily rushed.
zuppafly
Assistant Coach
And1: 990

Post#58 » by zuppafly » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:18 pm

There's something I gotta say publicly now and I know I'm gonna get roasted because of it, but whatever:

I don't think DJ was bad last year. Yes, he had bad stretches, but he had his offensive bursts when Payton was unable to do anything at all until the all star break and he made some big shots for us in a few games. Whenever we were in trouble and everyone was scared to simply shoot the ball he took the burden, knowing that he was not meant for that role, and showed others how not to be afraid to miss. That's why he got the starting spot for 20 games. He acted like a vet.

I actually like him as a backup and that makes the Mack signing even worse for me.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#59 » by Knightro » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:23 pm

Jiwol wrote:The problem is this year's 3rd stringer will make 7,25M. Unless you resolve this, you shouldn't sign 2nd stringer. Mack's signing was unnecessarily rushed.

So the Magic shouldn't attempt to make upgrades until they can clear out other contracts first? Not even on 1-year deals?

That is illogical.

"Augustin is the backup and he's making 7.25M a year, so until the figure out a way to get rid of him, he has to be the backup regardless of how bad he is!"

^ that's terrible logic. If there was a center on the market that was unequivocally better than Biyombo and was willing to sign for 1-year, I'd absolutely be willing to bring him on too.

The goal should be to get as many of your awful players off the court as much as possible.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#60 » by Knightro » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:24 pm

zuppafly wrote:I don't think DJ was bad last year.

Return to Orlando Magic