ImageImageImageImage

Magic sign Jonathon Simmons

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

JAY DASH
Pro Prospect
And1: 455

Re: Magic sign Jonathon Simmons 

Post#261 » by JAY DASH » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:58 pm

fendilim wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:
Casey Keirnan‏: Source tells me Spurs never made Jonathon Simmons a single offer throughout free agency despite reports to the contrary.
4 hours ago – via Twitter

Well, to me it is becwuse he doesnt fit the Spurs character

FWIW there's rumors that he didn't really get along with Pop that much. Which isn't surprising. The Spurs like certain types of personalities (similar to Duke IMO). Horry alluded to it as well. People say Simmons may have felt restricted by the system.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,602

Post#262 » by BadMofoPimp » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:06 pm

JAY DASH wrote:
fendilim wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:

Well, to me it is becwuse he doesnt fit the Spurs character

FWIW there's rumors that he didn't really get along with Pop that much. Which isn't surprising. The Spurs like certain types of personalities (similar to Duke IMO). Horry alluded to it as well. People say Simmons may have felt restricted by the system.

When you are a D-Leaguer trying to make it in the NBA, I can't imagine any player in that position doubting what Pop can do for them. You listen and keep your mouth shut. But, I doubt it was that severe. Spurs run a system oriented team and he probably wanted more freedom. We will find out soon enough if he is capable of more with these Magic players.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
mr2good
Senior
And1: 355

Post#263 » by mr2good » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:07 pm

Xatticus wrote:
JF5 wrote:
j-ragg wrote:That makes no sense. He didn't get waived. They renounced his rights. Which doesn't mean he sucks, it means they couldn't afford him under their cap and needed to make other moves. Detroit renounced KCP and he is getting 18 million next year.

Obviously I mean they didn't pick up his QO... My point was that there wasn't much of a market for him when he was let go. Him signing to Orlando for what he signed for indicates that.

It suppressed his value that he was a restricted free agent when free agency opened. By the time the Spurs renounced his rights, there was significantly less money out there. That worked in our favor in getting him on such attractive terms.

I think this is a good signing. I'll refrain from using any superlatives to describe it as he isn't a great player, but it's a terrific contract for a player of his quality. He's been locked up to a 3-year deal that covers most of his prime years.

Our front office waited out free agency and jumped on a good opportunity when it presented itself. There just aren't many quality wings in the NBA right now. In a world of salary caps, you have to get value for your money. This is good business.

100%. The best part is, the contract is so team friendly even if he doesn't fit with our team he could end up being our most valuable trade asset in a year or two.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#264 » by BadMofoPimp » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:14 pm

mr2good wrote:
Xatticus wrote:
JF5 wrote:
Obviously I mean they didn't pick up his QO... My point was that there wasn't much of a market for him when he was let go. Him signing to Orlando for what he signed for indicates that.

It suppressed his value that he was a restricted free agent when free agency opened. By the time the Spurs renounced his rights, there was significantly less money out there. That worked in our favor in getting him on such attractive terms.

I think this is a good signing. I'll refrain from using any superlatives to describe it as he isn't a great player, but it's a terrific contract for a player of his quality. He's been locked up to a 3-year deal that covers most of his prime years.

Our front office waited out free agency and jumped on a good opportunity when it presented itself. There just aren't many quality wings in the NBA right now. In a world of salary caps, you have to get value for your money. This is good business.

100%. The best part is, the contract is so team friendly even if he doesn't fit with our team he could end up being our most valuable trade asset in a year or two.

True. Best part is last year has only $1mil guaranteed. Thus, if he underperforms, he will make good trade fodder.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#265 » by Skin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:44 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:
mr2good wrote:
Xatticus wrote:

True. Best part is last year has only $1mil guaranteed. Thus, if he underperforms, he will make good trade fodder.

Wow, I didn't know that!

Best contract in Magic history??? :roll:
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,358

Post#266 » by Knightro » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:43 pm

Shea Serrano of The Ringer (an admitted huge Spurs fan) with a glowing article on Simmons.

There are a bunch of Jonathon Simmons Moments from his tenure with my beloved Spurs that I enjoy thinking about. There was his performance in the 2015 summer league, which was the first time I got to see him flying through the atmosphere during games. There was a tiny play he had in a regular-season game in 2015 where Kawhi Leonard threw him an alley-oop on a fast break, and if you squinted hard enough you could see them doing that same thing in the Finals together a couple of years later. (Another great Kawhi-related thing was the time Simmons said that it was easy to make Kawhi laugh, all you had to do was “talk about music and women.”) There was the way he casually chewed his gum during games, which was something he did so mesmerizingly that it became a thing people talked about in San Antonio. There was that time in the first game of the 2016–17 season when he tried to dunk the rattail off the back of JaVale McGee’s head, and then there was that time later that season when he dunked Meyers Leonard into another time zone.

https://theringer.com/san-antonio-spurs-jonathon-simmons-farewell-orlando-magic-6d4d7cee38e3
Darth Magic
Veteran
And1: 707

Post#267 » by Darth Magic » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:32 pm

Was listening to J.Simmons interview and he said Pop's system held him back. hmmm? Interesting.

http://od-cmg.streamguys1.com/orlando/orl580/livelocalloud/u2017071817485135293.mp3
"Real Gs move in silence; like lasagna" Jeff Weltman
NBAchamps2017
Pro Prospect
And1: 336

Post#268 » by NBAchamps2017 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:42 am

unleash the sims! could be the next Darrell Armstrong (but bigger) IMAGINE......
King Close
Pro Prospect
And1: 747

Post#269 » by King Close » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:28 am

This is starting to get interesting, hopefully he continues to be putting the work in now that he's getting paid (he seems like he'll continue working).
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,597

Post#270 » by SOUL » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:22 am

NickAndersonsBack25
Rookie
And1: 67

Post#271 » by NickAndersonsBack25 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:12 am

Uncommon wrote:
Read on Twitter

I like it. Our bench looks really good now after having one of the single worst units in the NBA last season. Isaac, Simmons, Mack, DJ, Hezonja, and Biz can at least keep us in games instead of squandering the few leads we had. I'm on board with us, depending on how much money we gave to Simmons. I'm hoping it's not more than $8M a season.

Good
Bobby Knight says:
"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."
"You don't play against opponents, you play against the game of basketball. "
NickAndersonsBack25
Rookie
And1: 67

Post#272 » by NickAndersonsBack25 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:17 am

Darth Magic wrote:Was listening to J.Simmons interview and he said Pop's system held him back. hmmm? Interesting.

http://od-cmg.streamguys1.com/orlando/orl580/livelocalloud/u2017071817485135293.mp3

Play defense
Bobby Knight says:

"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."

"You don't play against opponents, you play against the game of basketball. "
ChosenSavior
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 12,773

Post#273 » by ChosenSavior » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:06 am

Just listened to his two interviews that he did. The man is all business and exudes a ton of confidence. He had the same demeanor with the Spurs in his two years there. He will not flame out here because he never really fitted into the Spurs system to begin with (majority of the reason why he left and the Spurs not really offering him anything in free agency) and he plays with a massive chip on his shoulder. Yeah he will be 28 by the time the season starts but he has minimal NBA mileage on his body. I still see areas of his game where Juice can grow and he will certainly get his chance here with us.

Still can't believe we got him at such good value. Been wanting him with the Magic for the past two years and I finally got to see it happen. Major props to WeHam!
PennytoShaq
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 5,218

Post#274 » by PennytoShaq » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:19 pm

Preseason talk is always cheap, but Simmons has the ethic to potentially deliver. Let's say he does. Now we have him and Isaac. Simmons could be a minor star here and Isaac could be a big one. If we can land one more guy (a lead dog) over the next season or two, we could suddenly have a real strong core of guys that also play defense.
Patrick1978
Veteran
And1: 872

Post#275 » by Patrick1978 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:40 pm

PennytoShaq wrote:Preseason talk is always cheap, but Simmons has the ethic to potentially deliver. Let's say he does. Now we have him and Isaac. Simmons could be a minor star here and Isaac could be a big one. If we can land one more guy (a lead dog) over the next season or two, we could suddenly have a real strong core of guys that also play defense.

Agreed :nod:
Magic din romania

Ma numesc petre,sunt de la constanta

Fire Frank Vogel
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#276 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:12 pm

I just hope Simmons is not just another product of Popovich's system who left for the money. Not many backups who leave the Spurs have done much spectacular or better play elsewhere.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
JAY DASH
Pro Prospect
And1: 455

Post#277 » by JAY DASH » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:05 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:I just hope Simmons is not just another product of Popovich's system who left for the money. Not many backups who leave the Spurs have done much spectacular or better play elsewhere.

When it comes to wings, who does this list really consist of though? I know recently Marco's stayed steady outside of the system. I'm trying to think what other wings left the Spurs in the last 5 or so years since they've been running this offense. Gary Neal was just a spot up guy. Simmons is a completely different style of player from those two. I do feel where you're coming from though.
ReadyOrlando
Rookie
And1: 172

Post#278 » by ReadyOrlando » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:41 pm

The main thing I like is his attitude. He has that "nastiness" that our team needs. Some players like Elfrid,Mario,Biz, and DJ have it, but I feel like it has been suppressed by the culture of our organization. I think Simmons is going to bring it out of all of them.

Sent from my LG-H811 using RealGM mobile app
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#279 » by Skin » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:47 pm

Still a bit shocked by this singing. It feels weird to have a tough nosed player after all the fluffy guys we've collected over the years.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,092

Post#280 » by yoyojw17 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:06 pm

ReadyOrlando wrote:The main thing I like is his attitude. He has that "nastiness" that our team needs. Some players like Elfrid,Mario,Biz, and DJ have it, but I feel like it has been suppressed by the culture of our organization. I think Simmons is going to bring it out of all of them.

Sent from my LG-H811 using RealGM mobile app

"Controlled Nastiness" is allowed for sure. That's what makes his mean streak desirable!

Return to Orlando Magic