ImageImageImageImage

Your starting lineup

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

JAY DASH
Pro Prospect
And1: 455

Re: Your starting lineup 

Post#41 » by JAY DASH » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:28 pm

I don't like the prospect of playing Ross and Evan together (because neither one can defend SF's at all) but we probably will run that lineup out at the start of the season. Most likely the same lineup that we ended the season with last year. I'm more interested in rotations than who starts. Iggy doesn't start for GS, but he's still a part of the main lineup.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,766

Post#42 » by Cammo101 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:34 pm

JAY DASH wrote:I don't like the prospect of playing Ross and Evan together (because neither one can defend SF's at all) but we probably will run that lineup out at the start of the season. Most likely the same lineup that we ended the season with last year. I'm more interested in rotations than who starts. Iggy doesn't start for GS, but he's still a part of the main lineup.

This is where the addition of Simmons is valuable. Last year we didn't have anyone to go to in that situation. Now we do.
JAY DASH
Pro Prospect

Post#43 » by JAY DASH » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:50 pm

Cammo101 wrote:
JAY DASH wrote:I don't like the prospect of playing Ross and Evan together (because neither one can defend SF's at all) but we probably will run that lineup out at the start of the season. Most likely the same lineup that we ended the season with last year. I'm more interested in rotations than who starts. Iggy doesn't start for GS, but he's still a part of the main lineup.

This is where the addition of Simmons is valuable. Last year we didn't have anyone to go to in that situation. Now we do.

I agree. Like I said in another post, I cringed when we had Fournier guarding Kevin Love, because nobody on the team besides AG could even attempt to guard LeBron. Simmons is still on the smaller side, but he's definitely stronger than Evan or Ross and a much better one on one defender. Some nights against smaller wing combos we can get away with the Ross/Evan pairing at the 2/3 spots, but against elite SF's that's just not going to work very much.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#44 » by Skin » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:13 am

This needs to be put out more... Simmons has PG experience. Not saying he's a threat to Payton, but it's something that I hope we explore. I think his natural spot is the 2, but he has the ability to be played at PG and give us another potential mismatch against other lineups.

Neat Wiki quote:
During his time in Austin, Simmons considered giving up on his basketball career, moving back home and working a 9-to-5 job to take care of his four daughters. He pushed on, however, and during his second season vaulted his way back onto the NBA radar. A move to point guard forced Simmons to see the court from a different perspective, a move that unlocked the rest of his game. He helped carry Austin to the Western Conference Finals, and in 50 games on the season, he averaged 15.2 points, 4.3 rebounds, 3.7 assists and 1.0 steals per game, and was named to the NBA D-League All-Defensive third team.

Not sure how much Pop played him at PG, but if WeHam covets length, Simmons gives us that at the 1 and 2 moreso than the 3 where I see a bunch of people have him slated.

My preferred SL w/minutes.

PG Payton (35) / Mack (8) / Simmons (5)
SG Simmons (30) / Ross (18)
SF Isaac (20) / Hezonja (15) / Gordon (8) / Simmons (injury backup only)
PF Gordon (30) / Isaac (10) / Hezonja (8)
C Biyombo (25) / Birch (18) / Isaac (5)

This is the line up I like and the reason why I want Fournier, Vuc and DJ out of the picture. Are there limitations? Sure, but we are not playing for the present. We're developing for the future and trying to win and work through issues with a new core.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,292

Post#45 » by pepe1991 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:10 am

JAY DASH wrote:
Cammo101 wrote:

I agree. Like I said in another post, I cringed when we had Fournier guarding Kevin Love, because nobody on the team besides AG could even attempt to guard LeBron. Simmons is still on the smaller side, but he's definitely stronger than Evan or Ross and a much better one on one defender. Some nights against smaller wing combos we can get away with the Ross/Evan pairing at the 2/3 spots, but against elite SF's that's just not going to work very much.

Last season best Lebron defender on Magic was non other than... Hezonja :lol:
He got under his skin somehow and stole few balls from him
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Instincts
Pro Prospect
And1: 476

Post#46 » by Instincts » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:02 am

This pretty much sums it up. Length at sf and yes Simmons may get some burn at pg. And though I'm leaning Simmons, Ross may pair better with Payton in the starting lineup.

We will see if the front offices moves vouch / Fournier for assets. I agree in the long term it is better for the team. It will be interesting to see if the front office commits to playing the short game, the long game, or somewhere in between.

Skin wrote:This needs to be put out more... Simmons has PG experience. Not saying he's a threat to Payton, but it's something that I hope we explore. I think his natural spot is the 2, but he has the ability to be played at PG and give us another potential mismatch against other lineups.

Neat Wiki quote:
During his time in Austin, Simmons considered giving up on his basketball career, moving back home and working a 9-to-5 job to take care of his four daughters. He pushed on, however, and during his second season vaulted his way back onto the NBA radar. A move to point guard forced Simmons to see the court from a different perspective, a move that unlocked the rest of his game. He helped carry Austin to the Western Conference Finals, and in 50 games on the season, he averaged 15.2 points, 4.3 rebounds, 3.7 assists and 1.0 steals per game, and was named to the NBA D-League All-Defensive third team.

Not sure how much Pop played him at PG, but if WeHam covets length, Simmons gives us that at the 1 and 2 moreso than the 3 where I see a bunch of people have him slated.

This is the line up I like and the reason why I want Fournier, Vuc and DJ out of the picture. Are there limitations? Sure, but we are not playing for the present. We're developing for the future and trying to win and work through issues with a new core.
MagicalPatience
Freshman
And1: 43

Post#47 » by MagicalPatience » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:45 pm

Payton
Simmons
Isaac
Gordon
Vucevic

That is a tall and long line up to hopefully provide defense and scoring.

The bench line up can be more scoring focused.

Mack
Fournier
Ross
Hezonja
Biyombo
Shady Franchise
Veteran
And1: 584

Post#48 » by Shady Franchise » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:39 pm

Skin wrote:This needs to be put out more... Simmons has PG experience. Not saying he's a threat to Payton, but it's something that I hope we explore. I think his natural spot is the 2, but he has the ability to be played at PG and give us another potential mismatch against other lineups.

Neat Wiki quote:

Cool. I like the look of that lineup, though I don't mind Fournier as the 6th man. Only issue I have with people wanting to get rid of Vuc, Fournier and DJ is the return expectations. Every trade I do with Fournier on the trade board, it never seems to be enough return, yet a lot of Magic fans want him gone. I guess that's the way of the Magic Board community though. You can't get praise without backlash.
Do not max Vuc!
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,958

Post#49 » by MagicMatic » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:55 pm

Fournier, Simmons, and Ross will see minutes at SG/SF.

Those slating Isaac for starters minutes off the bat will be disappointed.

Maybe he ends up starting next to Gordon at the 3 halfway through the season. Maybe we drafted a PF/C.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#50 » by Skin » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:29 pm

Shady Franchise wrote:

Neat Wiki quote:

Cool. I like the look of that lineup, though I don't mind Fournier as the 6th man. Only issue I have with people wanting to get rid of Vuc, Fournier and DJ is the return expectations. Every trade I do with Fournier on the trade board, it never seems to be enough return, yet a lot of Magic fans want him gone. I guess that's the way of the Magic Board community though. You can't get praise without backlash.

There's a reason why the return for those players are not high. This has been a consistent trend for years now. It's better to move on. Addition by subtraction. With Fournier making $17M, he's even harder to trade. Even trading him for expiring contracts is good enough for me.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,149

Post#51 » by Def Swami » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:44 pm

What I think will happen....

Payton
Fournier
Ross
Gordon
Vucevic

No surprises. The Magic seem to feel good about how their SL played to finish they year. I can't say I disagree strongly with this. However, I wouldn't mind seeing Isaac start at 3, while playing a majority of his minutes at 4. I believe Isaac is far more suited to play 4, but I could see how Isaac at 3 ends up being more productive than a lineup of Ross at 3. It's worth experimenting with in second units in preseason and training camp just to test it out. If it fails, so be it. Roll with the SL above.

What I can't see happening is Simmons starting with Payton and Gordon. There just won't be enough space on the floor to do anything productive on offense. He's better suited as a bench guy. Bring him with Mario Hezonja; they should play off each other well.
JAY DASH
Pro Prospect

Post#52 » by JAY DASH » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:51 pm

Juice says he's ready to be a starter. :nod:

Return to Orlando Magic