ImageImageImageImage

Re-Rebuild Challenge: How would you have rebuilt the Magic post-Dwight?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

fklt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,643

Re: Re-Rebuild Challenge: How would you have rebuilt the Magic post-Dwight? 

Post#21 » by fklt » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:50 pm

always hate hindsight talk, it's meaningless. but let's play.
basically I'd rewind last off season. every little decision ended up being catastrophic, even the sensible ones like trying out AG at the 3.

drafting zimmerman, dumb.
drafting sabonis, dumb.
trading him and oladipo for ibaka, catastrophic. (even though I think both drafting and then trading oladipo made sense)
giving up dedmon, horrible.
signing up biyombo for 17 per year, HORRIBLE.
signing jeff green, horrible though not as crippling.
signing augustine, not as bad as currently advertised but bad.
AG at 3, another big big misfire with horrible consequences. (though he is a 4 crowd ended up being right, it was worth trying)
skiles quitting, a big set back.
hiring vogel? meh, I'm still not sure about this. but I'm pretty sure skiles' second season would have been much better than this.

this was really a BAD offseason.
I liked henny, I still think he was a good GM. his decisions before -more often than not- was the right ones even though not the most obvious ones. but after this, he kinda had to go. even if he had lots of pressure from upper management, this is indefensible.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,125

Post#22 » by pepe1991 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:03 am

I guess biggest mistakes were made around 2014-2016

Not using two lottery picks ( 4# and 12# ) to trade to top 3 picks. Trade with Philly to move two slots and still missing on Lavine because of Payton ( like it was such an rush to get starting level PG in second year of rebuild ). Harris ,Frye , Harkless fiasco trades. 2015 draft fiasco.

It's depressing to see how little they were able to get with non lottery picks . Lakers with second round picks drafted : Kuzma, Zubac, Clarkson, Nance. Now Magic: Zimmerman ( cut), Layman (cut? ), Harvey ( who da hell ?!), Osby ( another 23 years old rookie at times ) and now Iwundu.

And simply having no balls to gamble on anything just to end up gambling on garbage, and still losing big time.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,970

Post#23 » by Nyce_1 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:09 pm

I thought the point of this thread was to redo our rebuild with hindsight; not just bitch about what we already know.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,489

Post#24 » by Skybox » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:19 pm

Nyce_1 wrote:I thought the point of this thread was to redo our rebuild with hindsight; not just bitch about what we already know.

Can't "and 1" this enough....armchair history geniuses everywhere :banghead:
Melvinlocker
Bench Warmer
And1: 650

Post#25 » by Melvinlocker » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:36 pm

OrlDave wrote:
Melvinlocker wrote:Hindsight is always 20/20, but I'll try to give it a whirl. We could have tried a three team trade sending Dwight to Houston and assets to OKC. ORL nets James Harden in the deal. We can't drop Duhon or Clark, but we still manage to get rid of JRich. Then we sign Jordan Hill to a two year deal and re-sign Anderson and roll out the season with this lineup.

Hill/BBD
Anderson/Clark
Turk/Richardson
Harden/Redick
Nelson/Duhon

We would probably finish in the middle of the pack and would be in position to draft Rudy Gobert in the 2013 NBA draft and we'd have some contracts coming off the books.

Don't you think it we could have traded Dwight for Harden we would have done so? Brook Lopez was the only big named guy I ever heard in connection with Dwight and he's meh.

Houston acquired Harden for Kevin Martin, Jeremy Lamb, 2 1st rounders & a 2nd for Harden and some junk pieces. Considering the return we got for Dwight, we certainly had the assets necessary to complete a deal. Why we didn't do it is a mystery to me. I don't think it was off the table though.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,060

Re-Rebuild Challenge: How would you have rebuilt the Magic post-Dwight? 

Post#26 » by Optimus_Steel » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:49 pm

I think Robs inexperienced allowed him to get fleeced in the Elf draft. He should of stood his ground. We also played it safe too much. We overvalued niceness and work ethic over skill.

In retrospect we prob should have done the Nets deal before they foolishly sent the draft pick to Port for Gerald Wallace and held their draft picks for a decade for ransom.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
aka: prorl
OrlDave
General Manager
And1: 3,017

Post#27 » by OrlDave » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:26 pm

Melvinlocker wrote:
OrlDave wrote:
Melvinlocker wrote:Hindsight is always 20/20, but I'll try to give it a whirl. We could have tried a three team trade sending Dwight to Houston and assets to OKC. ORL nets James Harden in the deal. We can't drop Duhon or Clark, but we still manage to get rid of JRich. Then we sign Jordan Hill to a two year deal and re-sign Anderson and roll out the season with this lineup.

Hill/BBD
Anderson/Clark
Turk/Richardson
Harden/Redick
Nelson/Duhon

We would probably finish in the middle of the pack and would be in position to draft Rudy Gobert in the 2013 NBA draft and we'd have some contracts coming off the books.

Don't you think it we could have traded Dwight for Harden we would have done so? Brook Lopez was the only big named guy I ever heard in connection with Dwight and he's meh.

Houston acquired Harden for Kevin Martin, Jeremy Lamb, 2 1st rounders & a 2nd for Harden and some junk pieces. Considering the return we got for Dwight, we certainly had the assets necessary to complete a deal. Why we didn't do it is a mystery to me. I don't think it was off the table though.

Edit: Nvm my previous point. I suppose it came down to Houston being willing to do a 1 year rental. It's always a risk as LAL found out.
IllMagic04
Analyst
And1: 1,796

Post#28 » by IllMagic04 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:26 pm

If we had just tanked harder we would have been fine.
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,970

Re: RE: Re: Re-Rebuild Challenge: How would you have rebuilt the Magic post-Dwight? 

Post#29 » by Nyce_1 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:48 pm

IllMagic04 wrote:If we had just tanked harder we would have been fine.

#blameAlex
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,060

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Re-Rebuild Challenge: How would you have rebuilt the Magic post-Dwight? 

Post#30 » by Optimus_Steel » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:22 pm

Nyce_1 wrote:
IllMagic04 wrote:If we had just tanked harder we would have been fine.

#blameAlex

Looking back, it was very foolish to think that a team lead by inexperienced players that couldn't shoot could make the playoffs.

Sent from my SM-N920V using RealGM mobile app
aka: prorl
G-Heel
Head Coach
And1: 365

Post#31 » by G-Heel » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:33 am

Howard Mass wrote:
NickAndersonsBack25 wrote:i wouldn't have done the EP trade. Didn't we give PHI their own pick back for this year's draft, which would have been protected.
I would have drafted LaVine instead. I'm a dumbass and probably wouldn't have found the Fournier trade.
i didn't like the harris trade nor any of last season's moves.

Philadelphia is likely to be out of the top-8 this year so The Magic likely would have gotten that pick in 2018. They also gave up their 2015 2nd.

It was extortion and Hennigan should have held his ground. It still ticks me off but do not want to get to the point where I am derailing discussion.

That's when I started to lose faith in hennigan. Everyone knew he wanted Payton and Hinkie played him like a fool. We knew 6ers don't want Payton, they had the exact player in MCW, but Hinkie was smart and Hennigan was not.
Fire Otis!
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,608

Post#32 » by Howard Mass » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:11 am

G-Heel wrote:
Howard Mass wrote:
NickAndersonsBack25 wrote:i wouldn't have done the EP trade. Didn't we give PHI their own pick back for this year's draft, which would have been protected.
I would have drafted LaVine instead. I'm a dumbass and probably wouldn't have found the Fournier trade.
i didn't like the harris trade nor any of last season's moves.

Philadelphia is likely to be out of the top-8 this year so The Magic likely would have gotten that pick in 2018. They also gave up their 2015 2nd.

It was extortion and Hennigan should have held his ground. It still ticks me off but do not want to get to the point where I am derailing discussion.

That's when I started to lose faith in hennigan. Everyone knew he wanted Payton and Hinkie played him like a fool. We knew 6ers don't want Payton, they had the exact player in MCW, but Hinkie was smart and Hennigan was not.

I think that is when I started to sour on him too. I never was a fan of his Drafts anyway but I was just so pissed at how he let Hinkie extort him.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,273

Post#33 » by Bensational » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:25 am

Guys, let's try and keep it to talking about retrospective rebuilds. This was supposed to be a bit of fun, not another thread to whine about what Hennigan did wrong.

There were many forks in the road along the way, he went one direction, I'm interested in hearing about other roads we could've gone down.

Return to Orlando Magic