ImageImageImageImage

Magic signs Speights

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,374

Re: Magic about to sign Speights 

Post#41 » by PrimeThyme » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:52 am

OrlandO wrote:
PrimeShaq wrote:I cringe everytime I think about that Dj Augustine contract..

40 million for dj, green and biz last season. 9 fully guaranteed years between them.

15 million for mack, simmons and speights this season. 4 fully guaranteed years between them.

Makes me sick.. 34.1 mill in total for Mack, Simmons, and Speights and a combined 116 mill for Augustin, Biyombo, && Jeff green last season. Unbelievable.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,374

Magic about to sign Speights 

Post#42 » by PrimeThyme » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:55 am

SOUL wrote:

Yeah. I never got the Hennigan hate for his draft stuff, but the free agency moves always left me scratching my head.

Agreed. Henny did his best with the cards he got dealt with in the draft but his free agency signings especially last offseason were inexcusable. He had no chance of recovering from that. I think his handling of free agency is really where his inexperience showed.
ChosenSavior
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 12,740

Post#43 » by ChosenSavior » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:09 am

Deal is official now. His shooting will be of great benefit to us. Really like the value we got him at.
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,514

Post#44 » by DiplomaticMagic » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:12 am

I don't know how it's all going to workout but the quality of veterans we brought in this year is much better than any Hennigan season. And the money given out is perfect too. Very happy.

I find it weird though that Mo Speights cant get a better deal than that or get the same deal on a contender. Maybe he really wanted to be back in Florida.
STOP PLAYING FULTZ
orlando1214
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,296

Post#45 » by orlando1214 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:29 am

PrimeShaq wrote:
OrlandO wrote:

40 million for dj, green and biz last season. 9 fully guaranteed years between them.

15 million for mack, simmons and speights this season. 4 fully guaranteed years between them.

Makes me sick.. 34.1 mill in total for Mack, Simmons, and Speights and a combined 116 mill for Augustin, Biyombo, && Jeff green last season. Unbelievable.

That's an insane difference! I was fairly critical of Jeff and John early on for not doing anything, and while they didn't make any big moves, they at least managed to sign the players we got to good solid deals that have a lot of flexibility to them. This was a case where patients was the right move for this team's offseason, and I applaud Jeff and John for playing it smart. I'm still not 100 percent sure about them, because I am not going to get over that bad trade of our second 1st round pick, even if they didnt want that many rookies it was still a bad trade, but they at least did a solid job in free agency.
magicman112
Head Coach
And1: 1,888

Post#46 » by magicman112 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:50 am

orlando1214 wrote:
PrimeShaq wrote:
OrlandO wrote:40 million for dj, green and biz last season. 9 fully guaranteed years between them.

That's an insane difference! I was fairly critical of Jeff and John early on for not doing anything, and while they didn't make any big moves, they at least managed to sign the players we got to good solid deals that have a lot of flexibility to them. This was a case where patients was the right move for this team's offseason, and I applaud Jeff and John for playing it smart. I'm still not 100 percent sure about them, because I am not going to get over that bad trade of our second 1st round pick, even if they didnt want that many rookies it was still a bad trade, but they at least did a solid job in free agency.

All three of these guys that were signed (Mack, Simmons and Speights) were on playoff teams too.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#47 » by OrlandO » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:12 am

The Real Dalic wrote:He should be a good 3rd string Center that should be a decent backup if one of our bigs are either traded or injured. I really would like this signing if it goes through. Again, he's an actual Magic fan as well, so that's awesome.

Where did you hear he's a magic fan? Couldn't find anything about it...
rapcity10
Senior
And1: 437

Post#48 » by rapcity10 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:30 am

Raps fan here, I really like what your management team did this summer. No one is going to talk about your offseason in the national media, but you guys had a solid offseason. Firing your old management team and hiring your new one was much needed, drafting Issac, to signing Shelvin Mack, Jonathon Simmons, and Mo Buckets. Those 3 guys just mentioned, each have solid post season experience, Speights has a ring, Simmons was on a title contender for the last two seasons. While Shelvin Mack, has been on some good teams, that have made it far in the playoffs, going back to his hawks days when they won 60 games and made the ECF, and last year with the Jazz. These guys can all play too, there nothing special, all role players, but they each bring a unique dimension to your team. Your young guys have good veterans to look at it and learn from on how to be a true pro, and make it in this league.

Im a huge Shelvin Mack fan btw, I love how he's made it in this league, he really worked hard to be where he's at. Whenever his number is called, it seems you can always count on him on being ready, and being solid at the same time. Whether it is filling in for a starter, or being a more than capable backup, he's a pro's pro.

I can see you guys sneaking into the playoffs this year, as an eight seed, if everything clicks. You guys have some inconsistent young talent, and you don't have any real star talent yet, that can will you to wins, but your team is on the right track. A lot of talented young players on your team however. Going to be low key a really fun team to watch this year. One question tho, what's your point guard situation looking like for the future? Im not the biggest Elfrid Payton fan in the world, I personally want my point guards to be able to shoot, and at least make defences pay for leaving them wide open. If I'm not mistaken he's a restricted free agent next year as well, so whats the deal?
shadrock
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,521

Post#49 » by shadrock » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:31 am

orlando1214 wrote:
PrimeShaq wrote:
OrlandO wrote:40 million for dj, green and biz last season. 9 fully guaranteed years between them.

But we ended up with equivalent value in picks in future drafts, so whats it really matter?
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,146

Post#50 » by Def Swami » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:41 am

PrimeShaq wrote:Unfortunately he's a gator, but he should bring some good veteran presence to the team.

That's national champion Florida Gator to you. :wink:
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,186

Post#51 » by cedric76 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:16 am

one year and $2.1 million is a very good deal.

Sent from my SM-A310F using RealGM mobile app
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic
Big A All Day
Head Coach
And1: 678

Post#52 » by Big A All Day » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:42 am

Good signing at 2.1 for 1 yr.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,916

Post#53 » by drsd » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:05 am

cedric76 wrote:one year and $2.1 million is a very good deal.[/url]

And the Magic is only on the hook for 1.4M. The league pays the rest.

I wonder if this signing means that Birch's "offer" was rescinded.

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,916

Post#54 » by drsd » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:06 am

nymets1 wrote:I'm guessing Walton Jr and maybe Elgin Cook are the 2 way contract guys. Walton Jr seems definite but i'm guessing on the 2nd one.

I have assumed it would be Georges-Hunt, who played well in Summer ball and already has a partial contract.

SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,554

Post#55 » by SOUL » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:07 am

Speights was with the Cavaliers for half a season? Damn, I have no recollection of that at all.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,284

Post#56 » by pepe1991 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:46 am

Third string center? Khem Birch signed?
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,064

Post#57 » by The Real Dalic » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:23 am

OrlandO wrote:
The Real Dalic wrote:He should be a good 3rd string Center that should be a decent backup if one of our bigs are either traded or injured. I really would like this signing if it goes through. Again, he's an actual Magic fan as well, so that's awesome.

Where did you hear he's a magic fan? Couldn't find anything about it...

He said it during the draft if I remember correctly. He's from the area and has been a Magic fan since he was young. He said it would've been a dream come true to play with us someday. I'm pretty confident he's a fan.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
Bigmagicfan82
Starter
And1: 343

Post#58 » by Bigmagicfan82 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:23 am

I have a feeling we will be involved in a trade that will either get us Ryan Anderson or Nikola Mirotić. Most like this it would be for Vuc and DJ Augustine. It only makes sense. Either one will solve our shooting issues.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#59 » by tiderulz » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:08 am

DiplomaticMagic wrote:I don't know how it's all going to workout but the quality of veterans we brought in this year is much better than any Hennigan season. And the money given out is perfect too. Very happy.

I find it weird though that Mo Speights cant get a better deal than that or get the same deal on a contender. Maybe he really wanted to be back in Florida.

he had a better deal from Atlanta and screwed the pooch taking too long
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#60 » by tiderulz » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:11 am

rapcity10 wrote:Raps fan here, I really like what your management team did this summer. No one is going to talk about your offseason in the national media, but you guys had a solid offseason. Firing your old management team and hiring your new one was much needed, drafting Issac, to signing Shelvin Mack, Jonathon Simmons, and Mo Buckets. Those 3 guys just mentioned, each have solid post season experience, Speights has a ring, Simmons was on a title contender for the last two seasons. While Shelvin Mack, has been on some good teams, that have made it far in the playoffs, going back to his hawks days when they won 60 games and made the ECF, and last year with the Jazz. These guys can all play too, there nothing special, all role players, but they each bring a unique dimension to your team. Your young guys have good veterans to look at it and learn from on how to be a true pro, and make it in this league.

Im a huge Shelvin Mack fan btw, I love how he's made it in this league, he really worked hard to be where he's at. Whenever his number is called, it seems you can always count on him on being ready, and being solid at the same time. Whether it is filling in for a starter, or being a more than capable backup, he's a pro's pro.

I can see you guys sneaking into the playoffs this year, as an eight seed, if everything clicks. You guys have some inconsistent young talent, and you don't have any real star talent yet, that can will you to wins, but your team is on the right track. A lot of talented young players on your team however. Going to be low key a really fun team to watch this year. One question tho, what's your point guard situation looking like for the future? Im not the biggest Elfrid Payton fan in the world, I personally want my point guards to be able to shoot, and at least make defences pay for leaving them wide open. If I'm not mistaken he's a restricted free agent next year as well, so whats the deal?

looks like the FO, and rightfully so, want to see if he can continue the play he had at the end of last year (something like 14ppg, 9 apg, 6 rpg). If he can start the season off continuing that level of play along with improved shooting, he can earn himself a new contract. If not, it makes it easier to walk away from him. This will be his 1st time in 4 years that he has the same coach opening night that he ended the season with. that definitely helps with development too.

Return to Orlando Magic