ImageImageImageImage

What eight Magicians would you protect in a expansion draft?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,110

Re: What eight Magicians would you protect in a expansion draft? 

Post#21 » by tiderulz » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:51 pm

Magic#1 wrote:I had no idea expansion was even on the radar.

Musts:
Gordon
Isaac
Payton
Simmons
Ross
Vooch
Fournier

Last one: Either Hezonja or Biz. I go with Biz because the he will only have two years left after this year and he could be an expiring in a year. Plus, he has shown he can have a BIG impact when he is in the right situation for a team and provide great intangibles. As for Vooch, I get that he is imperfect. But his contract is CHEAP in today's market and there just aren't a lot of players that can get his numbers consistently. He is really undervalued here. If people would not keep him as one of our eight players in a draft, I just don't get that. Unless you want us to be the team that looks like an expansion roster, you keep Vooch.

interesting phrasing. As of right now, he has 3 years left. He will be an expiring in 2 years, but those dont really generate much trade value anymore, and its 2 years away. and the only time he has shown BIG impact is on a team with all-stars, that "right" situation.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#22 » by Skin » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:53 pm

1. Gordon
2. Isaac
3. Simmons
4. Iwundu
5. Payton
6. Hezonja
7. Biyombo
8. Afflalo

Let 'em take our softies... Evan or Vuc.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Shady Franchise
Veteran
And1: 584

Post#23 » by Shady Franchise » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:12 pm

Magic_Johnny12 wrote:1) Issac
2) Gordon
3) Fournier
4) Payton
5) Vucevic
6) Ross
7) Simmons
8) Hezonja

I'm with you, except I swap Simmons and Vuc, and swap Vuc for Iwundu.

Isaac
Gordon
Fournier
Payton
Simmons
Ross
Iwundu
Mario
Do not max Vuc!
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#24 » by Blue_and_Whte » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:15 pm

1 - ag
2 - Fourn
3 - Vuc
4 - Elf
5 - ji
6 - Ross
7 - Simmons
8 - Mario

Its hard for me to rank ji high because I haven't seen him play yet.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
MagicalPatience
Freshman
And1: 43

Post#25 » by MagicalPatience » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:01 pm

1. Isaac
2. Gordon
3. Payton
4. Simmons
5. Vucevic
6. Afflalo
7. Speights
8. Iwundu

Yes, we'd be a bottom feeder, but we'd have crazy cap space, no more terrible contracts (Biyombo), no more chuckers (Augustin, Fournier), and no more slackers (Hezonja).

I wish there's an expansion draft tomorrow.
Jameerthefear
Starter
And1: 1,716

Post#26 » by Jameerthefear » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:13 pm

Jesus Christ people really hate Fournier. If you would take a 2nd rounder or a 1 year contract guy over Evan you're a moron.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
OrlDave
General Manager
And1: 3,017

Post#27 » by OrlDave » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:01 pm

Jameerthefear wrote:Jesus Christ people really hate Fournier. If you would take a 2nd rounder or a 1 year contract guy over Evan you're a moron.

Yeah the hate on this site is greater than common sense. If you were the GM and actually had the call, then you trade Evan and Nik if you really hate them. Leaving players with value unprotected is absurd. And the funniest part is that if our GM actually did that, they'd be right in line yelling at them for not getting full return.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,092

Post#28 » by yoyojw17 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:50 pm

OrlDave wrote:
Jameerthefear wrote:Jesus Christ people really hate Fournier. If you would take a 2nd rounder or a 1 year contract guy over Evan you're a moron.

Yeah the hate on this site is greater than common sense. If you were the GM and actually had the call, then you trade Evan and Nik if you really hate them. Leaving players with value unprotected is absurd. And the funniest part is that if our GM actually did that, they'd be right in line yelling at them for not getting full return.

A lot of the players just love pointing the finger and condemning someone for the performance of a team as whole. It gets pretty darn unbearable sometimes. "He got a big contract.... i don't care if him and the entire team was used inappropriately.....he makes the biggest bucks... off with his head. And... while at it... I want biyombo's too" :lol: :roll:
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,960

Post#29 » by Xatticus » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:42 pm

OrlDave wrote:

You're assuming that Fournier's contract is a net positive, which I don't believe to be true. I would protect him in an expansion draft, but only because we don't have an abundance of talent. Portland had to take back Nicholson's contract to dump Crabbe's. I can understand the desire to get out from under Fournier's deal, though I'd hang onto him in the hope that he could net an asset in return.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
bargnanimvp
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,362

Post#30 » by bargnanimvp » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:30 pm

OrlDave wrote:
shadrock wrote:Not Vucevic. Let them take him. Id prefer the cap space.

You people are crazy. I get you hate him. Fine. But this is just moronic. Unlike BB who has a untradeable contract, Nik has actual trade value and just letting him walk makes no sense.

he'd look ok playing on a real team too imo, and like you said he has value he is pretty cheap.
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,002

Post#31 » by p0peye » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:47 pm

There's too much space, we don't have 8 keepers on the roster. I'm willing to bet that 3 years from now there will be no more than 3 current players still playing in Magic jersey.
shadrock
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,521

Post#32 » by shadrock » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:33 pm

OrlDave wrote:

You people are crazy. I get you hate him. Fine. But this is just moronic. Unlike BB who has a untradeable contract, Nik has actual trade value and just letting him walk makes no sense.

Nah you are wrong. Hes a redundant player in todays game and we are treading water until we realise it. Hes has ZERO value.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,092

Post#33 » by yoyojw17 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:35 am

hahaha.... well here you go..... I guess some of you'll will rejoice! lol... smh
SB Nation Mock Expansion Draft: Orlando Magic lose Evan Fournier, Mario Hezonja to new teams

https://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2017/8/9/16121430/nba-expansion-2017-draft-seattle-virginia-evan-fournier-mario-hezonja-magic

and their predict Proctections

https://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2017/8/9/16073944/nba-expansion-2017-draft-orlando-magic-aaron-gordon-elfrid-payton
OrlDave
General Manager
And1: 3,017

Post#34 » by OrlDave » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:57 am

shadrock wrote:
OrlDave wrote:

Nah you are wrong. Hes a redundant player in todays game and we are treading water until we realise it. Hes has ZERO value.

Scoring big on a good contract? His contract alone has value. So no, I'm not. Nice try though :)
fklt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,643

Post#35 » by fklt » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:36 am

Skin wrote:1. Gordon
2. Isaac
3. Simmons
4. Iwundu
5. Payton
6. Hezonja
7. Biyombo
8. Afflalo

serious question. what did you ever see from fournier that made you think he is a softie? being white and european don't count.
shadrock
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,521

Post#36 » by shadrock » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:37 am

OrlDave wrote:
shadrock wrote:
OrlDave wrote:

Scoring big on a good contract? His contract alone has value. So no, I'm not. Nice try though :)

No. So much no.

Scoring is irrelevant. he is a dinosaur by todays nba standards. Big, slow, cant defend well enough. Nowadays you can really only afford to play one big man at a time. Do you really want your one big man to not be a good defender? No way. Id prefer to start Biz over Vuc, as he can defend all five positions, doesnt waste possessions, can set way better screens and is great in transition. How on earth do you protect the paint with Vuc on the court? How do you cover the 3 pt line when the opposing center can shoot threes? How does he rotate and cover the guard when defending the pick and roll? Thats right, he cant. So what do you do? Play a defensive big beside him at the 4? Well we tried that last year and got run out of the gym most nights because we were way to big and way to slow.

So yeah, as i said, hes redundant in todays nba. We need to get rid of him, or, he needs to commit to a 20 minute role off the bench. But we know he wont do this, so its time to move on. No team in the NBA will want him for anything more than a salary dump, if we are lucky, which i would be content with. Dont get me wrong, hes a good player, but the NBA in particular is a bad fit for him at the moment. His time in the NBA unfortunately came 5-10 years too late.
Xatticus
Head Coach

Post#37 » by Xatticus » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:52 am

fklt wrote:
Skin wrote:1. Gordon
2. Isaac
3. Simmons
4. Iwundu
5. Payton
6. Hezonja
7. Biyombo
8. Afflalo

serious question. what did you ever see from fournier that made you think he is a softie? being white and european don't count.

I don't know specifically what would qualify an individual as soft, but I feel like averaging 3 blocks per season would be a great starting point. Fournier is soft. I'd save the incredulity for a more worthy candidate.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
nicnac215
Sixth Man
And1: 536

Post#38 » by nicnac215 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:53 am

Do you have to protect 8 or could you protect only 5?
Xatticus
Head Coach

Post#39 » by Xatticus » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:28 am

It isn't mentioned in the article, but I thought you couldn't lose more than one player in the expansion draft. This would be a significant factor in any discussion about who to protect. I would leave Biyombo and Augustin unprotected. I like Biyombo, but his salary is absurd. I'd protect Fournier and Vucevic, if for no other reason than to increase the likelihood of shedding one of those two aforementioned dreadful contracts.
-pepe1991
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,110

Post#40 » by tiderulz » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:21 am

shadrock wrote:
OrlDave wrote:
shadrock wrote:

No. So much no.

Scoring is irrelevant. he is a dinosaur by todays nba standards. Big, slow, cant defend well enough. Nowadays you can really only afford to play one big man at a time. Do you really want your one big man to not be a good defender? No way. Id prefer to start Biz over Vuc, as he can defend all five positions, doesnt waste possessions, can set way better screens and is great in transition. How on earth do you protect the paint with Vuc on the court? How do you cover the 3 pt line when the opposing center can shoot threes? How does he rotate and cover the guard when defending the pick and roll? Thats right, he cant. So what do you do? Play a defensive big beside him at the 4? Well we tried that last year and got run out of the gym most nights because we were way to big and way to slow.

So yeah, as i said, hes redundant in todays nba. We need to get rid of him, or, he needs to commit to a 20 minute role off the bench. But we know he wont do this, so its time to move on. No team in the NBA will want him for anything more than a salary dump, if we are lucky, which i would be content with. Dont get me wrong, hes a good player, but the NBA in particular is a bad fit for him at the moment. His time in the NBA unfortunately came 5-10 years too late.

this needs to stop. Biyombo is not some mythical unicorn that can defend all positions. if he was, he would not have been without a contract when we got him. He can handle a short spurt switching on D, but if a good wing or guard backed out for a second and reset with Biyombo guarding him, he would blow past him.

Return to Orlando Magic