ImageImageImageImage

Could AG be our future Center in a few years?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,230

Re: Could AG be our future Center in a few years? 

Post#21 » by Blue_and_Whte » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:56 pm

pepe1991 wrote:Honestlly, Gordon might be most overhyped Orlando Magic player in team's history. People went from new Blake Griffin to "I'm thinking he could be a Anthony Davis/AK47 hybrid player for us! " and in mean time he is 11-12 ppg -6 rpg player without much offensive skills and ok but not elite defense. And when he played the best? When teams were tanking or resting for playoffs and magic were running like maniacs so he had chance to get lot of garbage putbacks and transition points. ( much like Kenneth Faried who in 2013-14, playing with highest pace team, averaged 20 ppg and 10 rpg in last two months just because fast pace allowed him to do so, not because he was that good )

I've been saying the same thing about payton and imo this applies to everyone on the team. Show me that effort during the regular season then I'll believe. That part of the season is essentially garbage time.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
rusoopE
Sixth Man
And1: 678

Post#22 » by rusoopE » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:35 pm

could vuc play SG and shoot 3's?
"It's like 60 minutes on acid" - David Byrne

Vuc and Isaac supporter
rusoopE
Sixth Man
And1: 678

Post#23 » by rusoopE » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:38 pm

drsd wrote:
OrlandoMagic wrote:People must forget physical and athletic don't mean the same thing

Indeed!

Physical:

Athletic:

Not the same !!!!!

Lol at shaq's photo, looks like he dumped a bball. And then MJ took the ball with a disgusting face
"It's like 60 minutes on acid" - David Byrne

Vuc and Isaac supporter
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,890

Post#24 » by drsd » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:19 pm

rusoopE wrote:could vuc play SG and shoot 3's?

SO there is a request to try Biyombo at PG and Vučević at SG. Well: that would be the tallest back-court in basketball history!!!

fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,008

Post#25 » by fendilim » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:48 pm

T-Cat wrote:He's our most physical player in the post with an emerging offense game and could be a nightmare offensively at the 5 spot!

Obviously Jonathan Isaac could help him defend post players with his length and shot blocking presence, once he gets stronger!

I'm thinking he could be a Anthony Davis/AK47 hybrid player for us!

Imagine if Vogel utilizes this lineup in the future, we could change the way a lot of teams guard us!

He won't. Just because he is our most physical player doesnt mean he would be our center of the future. I'd argue, biz is our most physical player. And with biz' salary, pretty sure he'd be with us in for years too. Hehe
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#26 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:50 pm

cedric76 wrote:Could biz be our pg?

Biz
Isaac
Ag
Mo
Vuc

However I'm not too sure about ag at sf but it might work

Sent from my SM-A310F using RealGM mobile app

:rofl:
T-Cat
Sixth Man
And1: 427

Post#27 » by T-Cat » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:52 pm

rusoopE wrote:
drsd wrote:
OrlandoMagic wrote:People must forget physical and athletic don't mean the same thing

Indeed!

Physical:

Athletic:

Not the same !!!!!

Lol at shaq's photo, looks like he dumped a bball. And then MJ took the ball with a disgusting face

Based on your theory Aaron Gordon is more like Jordan than Shaq! I'll take it :D
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,221

Post#28 » by pepe1991 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:23 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:Honestlly, Gordon might be most overhyped Orlando Magic player in team's history. People went from new Blake Griffin to "I'm thinking he could be a Anthony Davis/AK47 hybrid player for us! " and in mean time he is 11-12 ppg -6 rpg player without much offensive skills and ok but not elite defense. And when he played the best? When teams were tanking or resting for playoffs and magic were running like maniacs so he had chance to get lot of garbage putbacks and transition points. ( much like Kenneth Faried who in 2013-14, playing with highest pace team, averaged 20 ppg and 10 rpg in last two months just because fast pace allowed him to do so, not because he was that good )

I've been saying the same thing about payton and imo this applies to everyone on the team. Show me that effort during the regular season then I'll believe. That part of the season is essentially garbage time.

if you look post allstar period, Hawks were only team that Magic beat with record over .500.

I follow nba since 2002 , i can't remember worst part of regular season than last one after allstar break. Star players were pulled out of game 10 min before a start, it was laughably bad.
Heat -Cavs game in May was hyped as must watch game, i tuned it in to find out that Lebron, Irving, Love and Bogut are resting :banghead:
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,221

Post#29 » by pepe1991 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:28 pm

T-Cat wrote:
rusoopE wrote:
drsd wrote:
Indeed!

Physical:

Athletic:

Not the same !!!!!

Based on your theory Aaron Gordon is more like Jordan than Shaq! I'll take it :D

Shaq was fast for his size tho.
Gordon is hard to compare. Best i can come up with is " Shawn Kemp just without Lance Stephenson attitude and balls " :rofl:

Jokes aside, i would love to see some edge with Gordon and passion that Kemp and Granett had.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#30 » by Skin » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:48 pm

Nope. Gordon doesn't have the length to play C. Hops won't cut it.

Isaac could end up being that though.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
drsd
RealGM

Post#31 » by drsd » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:18 pm

Skin wrote:Nope. Gordon doesn't have the length to play C. Hops won't cut it.

+1

Exemplar Why? Dwight Howard is probably shorter than Aaron Gordon. But they are not physically similar.

yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,088

Post#32 » by yoyojw17 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:56 pm

With the direction that everyone is thinking the league is going..... SF are becoming PF.... and PF are becoming C. Where gordon can make up in ideal size with his strength (he is wiry strong) and athleticism... i still don't think it's enough to close the gap between him and centers "Fulltime". Is it a small ball option for spurts... quite possibly. But i will never expect that to become our starting lineup. That's too much of a stretch. Isaac as mentioned in here is an ideal candidate for becoming an ideal center of the future (assuming the current trajectory continues). He has the length and the athleticism... just needs to pack on that muscle. If he can hit 235-240lb range .... with his solid base.... i can see it happening.
PennytoShaq
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 5,218

Post#33 » by PennytoShaq » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:02 pm

AG is either PF or traded by the end of the season. Makes no sense to play him at C full time. Put him next to Isaac though and it could be great - IF he shows that he can shoot the 3.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,094

Post#34 » by tiderulz » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:38 pm

drsd wrote:
Skin wrote:Nope. Gordon doesn't have the length to play C. Hops won't cut it.

+1

Exemplar Why? Dwight Howard is probably shorter than Aaron Gordon. But they are not physically similar.

Aaron came into the league 1.5" shorter than Howard. Why do you think Howard is shorter than Gordon?
drsd
RealGM

Post#35 » by drsd » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:48 pm

tiderulz wrote:Aaron came into the league 1.5" shorter than Howard. Why do you think Howard is shorter than Gordon?

Howard is a generous 6' 9". Gordon is 6' 9".

OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#36 » by OrlandO » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:57 pm

drsd wrote:
tiderulz wrote:Aaron came into the league 1.5" shorter than Howard. Why do you think Howard is shorter than Gordon?

I believe you're comparing without shoes vs with shoes. Dwight measured 6'9 without shoes. Gordon measured slightly over 6'7 without shoes. Both official pre-draft measurements.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,680

Post#37 » by basketballRob » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:26 pm

drsd wrote:

Howard only appears to be taller because of his huge wingspan and reach.

bargnanimvp
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,362

Post#38 » by bargnanimvp » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:49 pm

OrlandO wrote:
drsd wrote:

I believe you're comparing without shoes vs with shoes. Dwight measured 6'9 without shoes. Gordon measured slightly over 6'7 without shoes. Both official pre-draft measurements.

howards arm span is longer too i'd assume
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,588

Post#39 » by Skybox » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:13 am

I'm a big AG fan, but if he could shoot he'd be a 3. His body is a 3 but his game is a 4. Hezonja is bigger side by side. Howard is a whole different species. AG doesn't block shots or body up with strength. He's an exciting, crafty, explosive small 4 but nowhere near the strength or length required to play 5 (you need at least one, if not both).

I love the idea of an ultra-modern high speed pair of bigs with him and Isaac though. Hopefully, Isaac's length makes him a true rim protector - not just a weak side highlight reel shot blocker (like Bo Outlaw). (Nothing wrong with that, but it's a complement to a center, not a center). I'm very excited about Isaac's potential to redefine the spot. If Garnett was coming in now, he'd be that guy.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,094

Post#40 » by tiderulz » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:16 am

drsd wrote:

generous? the combine measured Howard at 6'9 barefoot, Gordon at 6'7.5.

Return to Orlando Magic