ImageImageImageImage

Adreian Payne and Orlando Magic nearing deal

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,654

Re: Adreian Payne and Orlando Magic nearing deal 

Post#21 » by Howard Mass » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:43 am

I too liked Adreian Payne at Michigan State and am surprised he did not pan out better.

At worst, this is another body for The Magic and maybe he could progress playing most of the season in the G League.

The Magic are able to sign him to a two-way contract because he has three years of NBA experience. If he had one more year, he would not be eligible for a two-way contract.

That leaves one more two-way contract and hope it is a point guard so The Magic can have another option if two of the three point guards are out with injuries.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,450

Post#22 » by Bensational » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:14 am

j-ragg wrote:
Bensational wrote:Wasn't there two Adrian Paynes in one year or successive drafts? One was an intriguing potential 2-way player who could block shots and shoot the 3. Did we get that one? Or did I just imagine that one altogether?

I dunno what kinda strain of weed you're smoking tonight. I think there's only one, and he sucks. He's a 1 way player and that 1 way was only athleticism and he rarely shows that now.

Joking about the weed lol but are you thinking of Cam Payne? They're similarly talented and we're almost taken at the same pick in different years.

Maybe Cam Payne is who I'm thinking of? Hmmm. Either way, both have underwhelmed. They're no Bobby Portis.
RickB-Orlando
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,336

Post#23 » by RickB-Orlando » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:47 am

Howard Mass wrote:I too liked Adreian Payne at Michigan State and am surprised he did not pan out better.

At worst, this is another body for The Magic and maybe he could progress playing most of the season in the G League.

The Magic are able to sign him to a two-way contract because he has three years of NBA experience. If he had one more year, he would not be eligible for a two-way contract.

That leaves one more two-way contract and hope it is a point guard so The Magic can have another option if two of the three point guards are out with injuries.

Agreed, he seemed to have a lot more potential coming out of college.

I like this signing though - low risk, high potential reward.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,298

Post#24 » by pepe1991 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:12 am

He is as bad as it gets in nba. By some stats worst offensive big man in nba for years. Career -4,8 offensive box plus minus with career year of -2,2 ( yes, negative ). 44,4% TS for career.
In 2015-16 he menaged to have top 10 worst offensive and defensive RPM by Espn's data.
I know i was stupid enough to belive he can be good before his rookie year, but again, nothing pumps your stats better than playing at college against 4 years younger kids.

If there is type of player that nobody should say " i like him" it's him, because there is literally nothing that he does well.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
The Other Ankle
Junior
And1: 260

Post#25 » by The Other Ankle » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:45 am

pepe1991 wrote:He is as bad as it gets in nba. By some stats worst offensive big man in nba for years. Career -4,8 offensive box plus minus with career year of -2,2 ( yes, negative ). 44,4% TS for career.
In 2015-16 he menaged to have top 10 worst offensive and defensive RPM by Espn's data.
I know i was stupid enough to belive he can be good before his rookie year, but again, nothing pumps your stats better than playing at college against 4 years younger kids.

If there is type of player that nobody should say " i like him" it's him, because there is literally nothing that he does well.

So, Pep, tell us how you feel about Adreian Payne as a player and prospect for the Orlando Magic!
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#26 » by Max Power » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:01 pm

Know very little about Payne, but giving the guy a second chance to get a foothold in the league isn't a bad thing. Sometimes you grab a Darrell Armstrong that way. If he comes in and passes guys on the depth chart with his play we'll all be happy with him.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
You look confused...let me fill you in.
Zephyrballs
Rookie
And1: 58

Post#27 » by Zephyrballs » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:41 pm

what is a two way contract?
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,110

Post#28 » by tiderulz » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:02 pm

Max Power wrote:Know very little about Payne, but giving the guy a second chance to get a foothold in the league isn't a bad thing. Sometimes you grab a Darrell Armstrong that way. If he comes in and passes guys on the depth chart with his play we'll all be happy with him.

not sure the comparison. Payne drafted 15th and played 100+ games in the NBA and on a roster for 3 years. Armstrong wasnt drafted and went overseas came back and signed with Orlando.
AddiFB
Veteran
And1: 2,546

Post#29 » by AddiFB » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:49 pm

Zephyrballs wrote:what is a two way contract?

I'm not 100% sure, but in short, I think it means we can send him to the Lakeland Magic and call him back up anytime we want.
- Orlando Magic fan since 1991 -
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#30 » by Max Power » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:00 pm

tiderulz wrote:
Max Power wrote:Know very little about Payne, but giving the guy a second chance to get a foothold in the league isn't a bad thing. Sometimes you grab a Darrell Armstrong that way. If he comes in and passes guys on the depth chart with his play we'll all be happy with him.

not sure the comparison. Payne drafted 15th and played 100+ games in the NBA and on a roster for 3 years. Armstrong wasnt drafted and went overseas came back and signed with Orlando.

This isn't a straight up comparison. Just saying sometimes giving a guy a chance can sometimes pay off unexpectedly.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
You look confused...let me fill you in.
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,068

Post#31 » by The Real Dalic » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:48 pm

Max Power wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

This isn't a straight up comparison. Just saying sometimes giving a guy a chance can sometimes pay off unexpectedly.

Just like Whiteside as well. I personally don't think Payne is any good. But I'm definitely willing to give him a chance.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,602

Post#32 » by BadMofoPimp » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:57 pm

The Real Dalic wrote:
Max Power wrote:
tiderulz wrote:not sure the comparison. Payne drafted 15th and played 100+ games in the NBA and on a roster for 3 years. Armstrong wasnt drafted and went overseas came back and signed with Orlando.

Just like Whiteside as well. I personally don't think Payne is any good. But I'm definitely willing to give him a chance.

As long as it is for the minimum, I am all for it.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Magic#1
General Manager
And1: 1,108

Post#33 » by Magic#1 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:09 am

Howard Mass wrote:I too liked Adreian Payne at Michigan State and am surprised he did not pan out better.

If I'm remebering correctly, Payne was considered a can't miss solid player. I'm surprised he has fallen down this hard. You would think he would fit the stretch four model, but he just hasn't worked out yet. A quality two-way contract.
magicman112
Head Coach
And1: 1,888

Post#34 » by magicman112 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:58 pm

AddiFB wrote:

I'm not 100% sure, but in short, I think it means we can send him to the Lakeland Magic and call him back up anytime we want.

Yes that's basically it. It's a new type of contract that makes it easier to send players back and forth between the team and the D-League affiliate.
bargnanimvp
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,362

Post#35 » by bargnanimvp » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:23 am

j-ragg wrote:Payne seems pretty old for a 2 way deal. Wouldn't you rather use them on more of an unknown higher ceiling type of talent?

Yeah this, i'd rather those 2-ways are guys with some potential
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,712

Post#36 » by thelead » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:21 am

eh-move. Don't mind it at all. Not sure why all the hate. Did we give him guaranteed money for next year or something? For those wanting more youth, when is that guy going to play? We already have a ton of young guys allotted to playing time (hopefully). I'll take the flier on Payne.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,924

Post#37 » by drsd » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:14 am

A player is allowed up to 45 NBA days and makes a prorated salary at the minimum level for those days. These 45 days I believe include the pre-season. Overall a player on a 2-way deal with all 45 days in the NBA would get a total salary over 200k. This is much, much higher than the G-league maxima salary of 75k.

For Payne to be called up beyond 45 NBA days, he would need an out-right NBA contract. On a two-way deal, only the Magic is authorised to call him up in such fashion. This is why many players and agents are cautious about these. (a G-leaguer on a "normal" deal can be called up by any NBA team).

For the Magic to 2-way Payne means they see development potential and can imagine him on the 2018-19 roster.

thelead wrote:Did we give him guaranteed money for next year or something?

Payne would be guaranteed a minimum of 75k. But as the Magic's preseason is at least 11 days, Payne would actually be guaranteed something more than 100k. Maybe about 120(ish)k.

j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#38 » by j-ragg » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:39 am

thelead wrote:eh-move. Don't mind it at all. Not sure why all the hate. Did we give him guaranteed money for next year or something? For those wanting more youth, when is that guy going to play? We already have a ton of young guys allotted to playing time (hopefully). I'll take the flier on Payne.

Wouldn't call it "hate" necessarily but what good is watching Payne in the G-League most of the year really gonna do? I'd much rather have signed Walton Jr or another rook.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,602

Post#39 » by BadMofoPimp » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:31 pm

j-ragg wrote:
thelead wrote:eh-move. Don't mind it at all. Not sure why all the hate. Did we give him guaranteed money for next year or something? For those wanting more youth, when is that guy going to play? We already have a ton of young guys allotted to playing time (hopefully). I'll take the flier on Payne.

Wouldn't call it "hate" necessarily but what good is watching Payne in the G-League most of the year really gonna do? I'd much rather have signed Walton Jr or another rook.

Walton Jr. lucked out by getting signed with Miami. They know how to develop talent like that. He will excel down there.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#40 » by Blue_and_Whte » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:52 pm

I had forgotten that he had some hops tbh. I was picturing a lumbering nonathletic player for some odd and inexplicable reason. I think overall we've had a decent offseason.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt

Return to Orlando Magic