ImageImageImageImage

Do you think Aaron Gordon will emerge as a breakout star this year?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Do you think Aaron Gordon will emerge as a breakout star this year?

Yes
48%
No
52%

Total votes: 130

Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,643

Re: Do you think Aaron Gordon will emerge as a breakout star this year? 

Post#321 » by Rainwater » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:36 am

Bensational wrote:
Skin wrote:
JF5 wrote:
He took a Center off the dribble... is anyone supposed to be impressed or surprised by that?

There's a difference between beating a Center off the dribble and making a Center look absolutely SILLY off the dribble. Gordon HAS handles to do this consistently and you can scoff at him all you want, but that is exactly the kind of match ups he's now facing. He doesn't have to beat PGs, SGs and SFs off the dribble routinely.

Watching Gordon breakout this year is a beautiful thing. I'm not sure why any Magic fan would be so sour about this. He's becoming an all around basketball player and not just a dunker. A star is being born.

I feel like JF5 is hoping AG won't succeed. He's always been one of AG's biggest critics.

Last year a lot of people, like JF5, were saying "he shoots the 3 at 28% - he'll never be a scorer". Now he's leading the league in 3pt%, and the criticisms have shifted to "he's only beating a C off the dribble - he'll never be a scorer".

If he can take his jumpshot from where it was to where it is, why hang so much doubt on him evolving his handles in the next few seasons, too?

This is a completely unfair claim. Based on the poll results in the General Board, most people, with the exception of Magic Fans, share the same thoughts as JF5 on Aaron Gordon that he is an avg/role player. Are they all haters not wanting him to succeed or are they just sharing their unbiased opinions? I would beg to argue its the latter. Stating criticism does not equate hatred for a player. I would also argue if Wiggins was on this Magic team he would easily be the best player; he cannot be compared to Aaron Gordon.
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,332

Post#322 » by MagicMadness » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:29 am

Hasn't played like a breakout star the past two games.

He'll have his ups and downs. Definitely on the right path, though.
ChosenSavior
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 12,773

Post#323 » by ChosenSavior » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:43 am

He has struggled these last two games but the tools are there. Would like to see him get smarter offensively and use his ability to hit the 3 more on the harder closeouts and attack the basket more. Need to use him in the pick and roll more as well. The main thing for me though is he has got to rebound better if he is playing PF on this team.
swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,153

Post#324 » by swarlesbarkley » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:10 pm

AG needs to enroll in some yoga & pilates classes. He's got all the skills but just doesn't seem to have 100% control of his body/balance when he's got the ball in his hands.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,380

Post#325 » by PrimeThyme » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:27 pm

Tough road trip for AG. Hopefully him and the team can get back in track this Saturday.
Mr Magic Fan
Senior
And1: 433

Post#326 » by Mr Magic Fan » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:48 pm

He definitely should be getting more than 10 shots. Chemistry seemed a little off the past couple of games, hopefully it's just a blip and will get straightened out soon.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,151

Post#327 » by Def Swami » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:06 pm

I've really disliked Gordon's last 2 games. I'm happy that he's improved as a 3 point shooter, but he's falling way too in love with it. His struggle is also a byproduct of overall poor offense by the team. The team goes through stretches where the ball stops moving and players try to dig themselves out of a hole by themselves. It leads to poor looks for everyone and Gordon trying to do more work off the dribble than he should. He needs to find the right balance of 3 point shooting and attacking the rim. We need him putting pressure on the defense and drawing fouls. His perimeter shooting should mostly be off catch and shoots for now.
WeAreVenom
Head Coach
And1: 325

Post#328 » by WeAreVenom » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:12 pm

Def Swami wrote:I've really disliked Gordon's last 2 games. I'm happy that he's improved as a 3 point shooter, but he's falling way too in love with it. His struggle is also a byproduct of overall poor offense by the team. The team goes through stretches where the ball stops moving and players try to dig themselves out of a hole by themselves. It leads to poor looks for everyone and Gordon trying to do more work off the dribble than he should. He needs to find the right balance of 3 point shooting and attacking the rim. We need him putting pressure on the defense and drawing fouls. His perimeter shooting should mostly be off catch and shoots for now.

I agree, especially with how athletic he is.

But I guess that's a hard thing to balance.

As far as the topic, I believe AG will be our next superstar when it's all said and done. Looking back, we're really blessed to have all of the stars that we have had in the amount of time that we got them. But that's another topic lol.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,451

Post#329 » by Bensational » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:54 pm

Def Swami wrote:I've really disliked Gordon's last 2 games. I'm happy that he's improved as a 3 point shooter, but he's falling way too in love with it. His struggle is also a byproduct of overall poor offense by the team. The team goes through stretches where the ball stops moving and players try to dig themselves out of a hole by themselves. It leads to poor looks for everyone and Gordon trying to do more work off the dribble than he should. He needs to find the right balance of 3 point shooting and attacking the rim. We need him putting pressure on the defense and drawing fouls. His perimeter shooting should mostly be off catch and shoots for now.

Yeah, the team desperately needs to get back to the kind of movement they had in the early games. Too much hero ball from everyone right now, including AG.

I'm happy he's in love with his 3, though. He's still getting a lot of open looks, so I think he's gonna have to keep putting it up there until defenses really start to treat him like a threat. Then it will open up paths for the rest of the team, and give him a better chance at working off the dribble.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,184

Post#330 » by Optimus_Steel » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:28 pm

As much as AG has improved his game, he is a finisher not a creator.
aka: prorl
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,298

Post#331 » by pepe1991 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:02 pm

He is not star, he is right now really good player that has potential to be a star. But if you compare him with guys like Giannis, Lebron, Durant , Davis and other top tear forwards, nop ,he is not there.
This pace will make lot of nba C level stars look like B or A level stars . That's why both Harris and Oladipo sit at 20 ppg right now.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#332 » by Blue_and_Whte » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:34 pm

Mr Magic Fan wrote:He definitely should be getting more than 10 shots. Chemistry seemed a little off the past couple of games, hopefully it's just a blip and will get straightened out soon.

He does. He gets 13.5 per game

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
Rainwater
General Manager

Post#333 » by Rainwater » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:37 am

At this point, I am really hoping Gordon gets maxed so in the long run the Magic realize how crippling this would be to the organization. He is not a difference maker. While not a bad player, he not worth big money.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#334 » by j-ragg » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:20 pm

Rainwater wrote:At this point, I am really hoping Gordon gets maxed so in the long run the Magic realize how crippling this would be to the organization. He is not a difference maker. While not a bad player, he not worth big money.

So no one on this team is worth big money in your opinion then right?

Your statement is kind of weird anyway. You hope the Magic max AG so that it cripples them? Fingers crossed I guess.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
Rainwater
General Manager

Post#335 » by Rainwater » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:20 pm

j-ragg wrote:
Rainwater wrote:At this point, I am really hoping Gordon gets maxed so in the long run the Magic realize how crippling this would be to the organization. He is not a difference maker. While not a bad player, he not worth big money.

Your statement is kind of weird anyway. You hope the Magic max AG so that it cripples them? Fingers crossed I guess.

Do i believe anybody on this Magic team should get max money? Hell no. Not one of these guys are difference makers, not one of their talents leads to wins, so why pay them like stars? It would make no sense. If the magic decide to sign AG to role player type money that is fine. But the lack of talent from AG (and some other guys as well) has crippled the magic in recent years and will continue to cripple the magic, not only on the basketball court, but now financially if he is signed to a max deal.
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,534

Post#336 » by Furinkazan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:23 pm

last 4 games his 3 point percentage is 22% :(
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#337 » by j-ragg » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:14 pm

Rainwater wrote:
j-ragg wrote:

Do i believe anybody on this Magic team should get max money? He no. Not one of these guys are difference makers, not one of their talents leads to wins so why pay them like stars, it makes no sense. If the magic decide to sign AG to role player type money that is fine. But the lack of talent from AG (and some other guys as well) has crippled the magic in recent years and will continue to cripple the magic, not only on the basketball court, but now financially if he is signed to a max deal.

I don’t think you’re really wrong but that’s fantasy land. Guys show much less than Gordon has shown and get lucrative contracts. It’s just the landscape of the league these days. I don’t think he’ll get a supermax like Wiggins (don’t think he’d even be eligible), but something like 20-25 million a year is appropriate given what others his age and production are getting.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
Rainwater
General Manager

Post#338 » by Rainwater » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:55 pm

j-ragg wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
j-ragg wrote:So no one on this team is worth big money in your opinion then right?

Do i believe anybody on this Magic team should get max money? He no. Not one of these guys are difference makers, not one of their talents leads to wins so why pay them like stars, it makes no sense. If the magic decide to sign AG to role player type money that is fine. But the lack of talent from AG (and some other guys as well) has crippled the magic in recent years and will continue to cripple the magic, not only on the basketball court, but now financially if he is signed to a max deal.

I don’t think you’re really wrong but that’s fantasy land. Guys show much less than Gordon has shown and get lucrative contracts. It’s just the landscape of the league these days. I don’t think he’ll get a supermax like Wiggins (don’t think he’d even be eligible), but something like 20-25 million a year is appropriate given what others his age and production are getting.

I don't think he will get that but if he does that would disgust me. I am expecting 10 to 15 million.
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,900

Post#339 » by JF5 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:54 am

Ironically, AG looks like he'll have a career trajectory similar to Tobias Harris but better defense. That didn't really hit me until today...
Mr Magic Fan
Senior
And1: 433

Re: RE: Re: Do you think Aaron Gordon will emerge as a breakout star this year? 

Post#340 » by Mr Magic Fan » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:05 am

JF5 wrote:Ironically, AG looks like he'll have a career trajectory similar to Tobias Harris but better defense. That didn't really hit me until today...

I think that's selling AGs physical tools short. He won't be a superstar but I see no reason why he can't end up a star a la Demar DeRozan or Jimmy Butler. Kid is still only 22 and I can see him contuously adding to his game.

Return to Orlando Magic