ImageImageImageImage

Do you think Aaron Gordon will emerge as a breakout star this year?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Do you think Aaron Gordon will emerge as a breakout star this year?

Yes
48%
No
52%

Total votes: 130

Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,958

Re: RE: Re: Do you think Aaron Gordon will emerge as a breakout star this year? 

Post#421 » by Xatticus » Mon Dec 4, 2017 4:30 am

Rainwater wrote:
Xatticus wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
I think you are paying too much attention to advance numbers than watching the game, It's flawed. For example, AG has a lower usage but plays more efficiently than Paul George but does that mean he is better? Paul George and AG have similar VORP, BPM, WS, Per does that mean AG and Paul George are equal in talent? Of course not. The same concept holds true when comparing AG and Wiggins. You switch off Wiggins for AG that would be a loss for the Wolves.

And honsetly, I don't know what all these numbers mean, I am old school. But sometimes its better to watch the game.

Wiggins scores a bunch of points. That's all. He doesn't even do that efficiently. He's glorified because he was anointed as a star long before he had demonstrated as much (he still hasn't).

His one season at Kansas was disappointing. Still, he was the first player taken in the draft because of his incredible length and athleticism. He was supposed to be a great defender. He is a poor one instead. He was supposed to become a facilitator. His assist rate has been consistently low.

Paul George wasn't always Paul George. He was the 10th pick in the draft. At what point did he become a great player? At what point did he become better than Dirk Nowitzki or Carmelo Anthony? Gordon is better than Wiggins. You are going to be the last person to figure this out.

You missed the whole point in regards to the comparison to PG.

Seriously, that just wouldn't be me but most people who watch the NBA.

Did I miss the point? Enlighten me.

At some point in the past, people on the Indiana message boards were having this same debate about Paul George. There was no turning point at which the consensus changed and Paul George was anointed as a star. Some people figured it out before others. Some people are just really skeptical. That is fine.

We are quickly moving beyond the point of small sample noise. Gordon's game has evolved dramatically since his rookie season; since last year even. I believe it was your position that you wouldn't pay Gordon more than 10-14 million per year on his next contract? That's going to look like a really silly statement sooner rather than later.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,530

Re: RE: Re: Do you think Aaron Gordon will emerge as a breakout star this year? 

Post#422 » by Rainwater » Mon Dec 4, 2017 4:39 am

Xatticus wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
Xatticus wrote:
Wiggins scores a bunch of points. That's all. He doesn't even do that efficiently. He's glorified because he was anointed as a star long before he had demonstrated as much (he still hasn't).

His one season at Kansas was disappointing. Still, he was the first player taken in the draft because of his incredible length and athleticism. He was supposed to be a great defender. He is a poor one instead. He was supposed to become a facilitator. His assist rate has been consistently low.

Paul George wasn't always Paul George. He was the 10th pick in the draft. At what point did he become a great player? At what point did he become better than Dirk Nowitzki or Carmelo Anthony? Gordon is better than Wiggins. You are going to be the last person to figure this out.

You missed the whole point in regards to the comparison to PG.

Seriously, that just wouldn't be me but most people who watch the NBA.

Did I miss the point? Enlighten me.

At some point in the past, people on the Indiana message boards were having this same debate about Paul George. There was no turning point at which the consensus changed and Paul George was anointed as a star. Some people figured it out before others. Some people are just really skeptical. That is fine.

We are quickly moving beyond the point of small sample noise. Gordon's game has evolved dramatically since his rookie season; since last year even. I believe it was your position that you wouldn't pay Gordon more than 10-14 million per year on his next contract? That's going to look like a really silly statement sooner rather than later.

Yeah, you completely missed it. But you can reread my prior posts.

Btw, if you look back at page 20 in this thread I adjusted my projected salary to 16 to 20 a year for AG based off what Victor got.

Return to Orlando Magic