ImageImageImageImage

Preseason Game 1: Orlando @ Memphis 10/2 7:00 PM CT

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

JAY DASH
Pro Prospect
And1: 455

Re: Preseason Game 1: Orlando @ Memphis 10/2 7:00 PM CT 

Post#561 » by JAY DASH » Tue Oct 3, 2017 3:27 am

A lot of overreactions to the first Preseason game...where the starters only played 15 minutes and we basically did platoon swaps. Simmons did exactly what you’d expect him to do if you watched him in San Antonio. High energy guy. Solid defender. Capable of knocking down a few jumpers.

Isaac was solid. More than anything I’m impressed by the fact that he never really looked winded. Had some issues with that in SL. I don’t have any questions about his talent.

Evan looked good to me. I like Elf, but it’s hard to get behind a PG that can’t shoot in today’s NBA. Just puts the scoring pressure on everyone else, but he’s the best we have at that spot.

It pains me that Ross is ok with being a chucker when he should be athletic enough to get to the paint sometimes. That’s pretty much who he’s been his whole career though, so it is what it is. You take the good with the bad. Looking forward to the next game for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
NEM
RealGM
And1: 2,122

Post#562 » by NEM » Tue Oct 3, 2017 3:36 am

Not a horrible showing. The offense looked better at times, particularly with the starters (when Ross wasn't chucking). Defense was spotty but hopefully that will come with time. I was happy to see them out there tbh, it's been too long.

Payton - ran the offense well. Didn't really look for his shot too much, but then again he only played 14 minutes. Defense was suspect.

Ross - looked horrendous on offense. Forced a couple of shots, while others simply didn't drop.

Fournier - looked really good. Moved he ball, picked his spots, solid outing in his short stint.

Gordon - played with great energy. Shot looked decent. Missed some FT's. Again, can't really judge anything in 14 minutes.

Vucevic - made a couple of defensive plays. Shot looks good. Offense runs much better when he's on the floor.

Augustin - he was himself. Some good, mostly bad. Can't guard a fire hydrant.

Simmons - this guy is gonna be the starter at 2 on opening night. Energy was off the charts. Makes winning basketball plays and everyone's intensity seems to increase exponentially when he's on the floor. Has a better handle than I thought.

Isaac - looked fluid for a 19 year old playing his first NBA game. Made a few jumpers, had a few dunks, disrupted a few plays on defense. Just a little bit of everything really. Definitely needs to add weight so guys like Wade Baldwin don't bully him, but that will come.

Biyombo - got dunked on, and also had a nice block. Still the same liability on offense. Really has no place on a team like this that's already struggling to score as it is. Offense looks horrible with him out there.

Hezonja - showed that he in fact does have a pair of balls. Took some shots, didn't fall but he looked better than last year. Seems like he actually had a pulse, which is all I'm asking for this year.

Mack - our back up PG will continue to be an issue. Neither guy creates anything for anyone. Highly unimpressed, and my expectations weren't high.

Iwundu - his shot wasn't dropping but much like Simmons, his energy runs off on people. Made some nice passes and defensive plays. Could have a future in the league. Also, he initiates the offense when he's out there. Not news as this was evident in his college highlites, but nice to see it carry over.

Speights - definitely has some attitude to him. Picked up a T five minutes into his stint lol. Had some blocks, took a charge, overall decent showing. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets the majority of the back up 5 minutes.

Birch - good energy, good defense. Blocked some shots, missed what would have been a nice dunk. Could potentially make the roster.

Lucas - can't really judge his game as I didn't see too much. He looks really little and he likely won't make the team.

Rudez - took a charge, hit a 3. Seeing as his Vogels favorite, is say he's the favorite to make the roster.

Afflalo, Payne, and the other scrub didn't play.
I live rent free in your head. You know who you are :D

Not changing this sig until Magic win a championship. Started 6/26/2015.
T-Cat
Sixth Man
And1: 428

Post#563 » by T-Cat » Tue Oct 3, 2017 3:48 am

GortatExpress wrote:Isaac/Simmons/Ag/Mario..... thats the core.... looking good fellas....

rest are dead weight... got to prod through this season to empty out the garbage but the future is looking bright!

Mario was solid tonight! I want Vogel to utilize him as a backup 1 because his passing and court vision could really help this team!

Does anyone know why Hezonja and Isaac both receive 20 plus minutes off the bench vs everyone else on the pine?
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#564 » by OrlandO » Tue Oct 3, 2017 3:59 am

Isaac highlights...

Simmons...

Read on Twitter
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,011

Post#565 » by KillMonger » Tue Oct 3, 2017 4:01 am

Can't take preseason too seriously, got to stay even keel. Honestly I expected a lot more sloppy but we're farther along than I thought. Simmons is that dude man and my heart is saying he should be starting opening tip. However my brain tells me that we need the shooting that Ross should provide.

AG, Mario, Isaac, looked pretty decent at this point. Elf........ Elf...... Man.....ill tell you elf seems to love coming out to these slow starts. He only played 14 minutes but, I'm sitting here thinking about the game and i can remember plays from everyone except elf.

Sent from my expensive phone using my hands
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,595

Post#566 » by SOUL » Tue Oct 3, 2017 4:03 am

Solid Snake wrote:Can't take preseason too seriously, got to stay even keel. Honestly I expected a lot more sloppy but we're farther along than I thought. Simmons is that dude man and my heart is saying he should be starting opening tip. However my brain tells me that we need the shooting that Ross should provide.

AG, Mario, Isaac, looked pretty decent at this point. Elf........ Elf...... Man.....ill tell you elf seems to love coming out to these slow starts. He only played 14 minutes but, I'm sitting here thinking about the game and i can remember plays from everyone except elf.

Sent from my expensive phone using my hands

He wasn't really looking for his shot, but the offense ran 100% better with him in and the ball moved between most of the players outside of Ross. That's all I'm looking at for the starters this preseason. Numbers aren't going to matter. Besides that, I just want to see Mario and Isaac do well and Simmons fitting in with the offense.
mr2good
Senior
And1: 355

Post#567 » by mr2good » Tue Oct 3, 2017 4:07 am

Snackawho wrote:

Those hot Isaac highlights!

ChosenSavior wrote:Waiting on YouTube to come through with them good Jonathan & Jonathon highlights...

I got you fam

Guys, we got a gem in Isaac!
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM
And1: 8,454

Post#568 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Tue Oct 3, 2017 4:14 am

I'm literally salivating at the potential of Issac/Hezonja/Gordon and possibly one of Ayton/Bamba
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
NBAchamps2017
Pro Prospect
And1: 336

Post#569 » by NBAchamps2017 » Tue Oct 3, 2017 4:22 am

I cant believe 'management' will sign overweight players like Speights and Mack?
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,332

Post#570 » by MagicMadness » Tue Oct 3, 2017 4:57 am

Well our updated uniforms look pretty good, so I'm happy.

And Simmons gets some nasty hang time. Gonna be fun watching him this season.
Patrick1978
Veteran
And1: 872

Post#571 » by Patrick1978 » Tue Oct 3, 2017 5:27 am

T-Cat wrote:
GortatExpress wrote:Isaac/Simmons/Ag/Mario..... thats the core.... looking good fellas....

rest are dead weight... got to prod through this season to empty out the garbage but the future is looking bright!

Mario was solid tonight! I want Vogel to utilize him as a backup 1 because his passing and court vision could really help this team!

Does anyone know why Hezonja and Isaac both receive 20 plus minutes off the bench vs everyone else on the pine?

iwundu also has good court vision and potential as a passer.he initiates the offense
Magic din romania

Ma numesc petre,sunt de la constanta

Fire Frank Vogel
rusoopE
Sixth Man
And1: 678

Post#572 » by rusoopE » Tue Oct 3, 2017 5:29 am

Began readding a report. And almost quitted when i read 5 for 32 on 3's!!
"It's like 60 minutes on acid" - David Byrne

Vuc and Isaac supporter
rusoopE
Sixth Man
And1: 678

Post#573 » by rusoopE » Tue Oct 3, 2017 7:50 am

Iwundu looked solid out there

Sent from my 5042A using RealGM mobile app
"It's like 60 minutes on acid" - David Byrne

Vuc and Isaac supporter
zuppafly
Assistant Coach
And1: 990

Post#574 » by zuppafly » Tue Oct 3, 2017 8:44 am

I have little to no doubt that Isaac will be our best player by December already. I question if he isn't that already.

Iwundu surprised me after the dismal summer league he had. He showed some good things today, mainly his vision. He has potential.

Although it was just the first pre-season game, we played like ****.
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,515

Post#575 » by DiplomaticMagic » Tue Oct 3, 2017 8:45 am

Well we didn't look like a complete disaster. Improvement?
STOP PLAYING FULTZ
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,019

Post#576 » by fendilim » Tue Oct 3, 2017 9:07 am

My gawd. Jonathan isaac makes me cringe when he sets a pick. Its like he might break a bone
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,917

Post#577 » by drsd » Tue Oct 3, 2017 11:05 am

Optimus_Steel wrote:Man our shooting numbers are sooooooo bad.

The players are coming off of 2-a-days for a week. No legs for anyone out there. Nothing to be worried about at all.

Some nice 3s were had. Promising there.

drsd
RealGM

Post#578 » by drsd » Tue Oct 3, 2017 11:08 am

NEM wrote:Vucevic - made a couple of defensive plays. Shot looks good. Offense runs much better when he's on the floor.

Are you the only Magic fan willing to praise Vučević?

For me he is a perfect Center in today's NBA. And he can rebound at an elite level, which is a great NBA skill.

drsd
RealGM

Post#579 » by drsd » Tue Oct 3, 2017 11:10 am

NEM wrote:Afflalo, ... scrub didn't play.

How the mighty have fallen.

NEM
RealGM
And1: 2,122

Post#580 » by NEM » Tue Oct 3, 2017 11:19 am

drsd wrote:
NEM wrote:Afflalo, ... scrub didn't play.

How the mighty have fallen.

Here we have a perfect example of how one thing can be turned into something completely different to fill ones own agenda lmao

I actually like the Afflalo signing :)
I live rent free in your head. You know who you are :D

Not changing this sig until Magic win a championship. Started 6/26/2015.

Return to Orlando Magic