ImageImageImageImage

What does this team NEED?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,959

Re: What does this team NEED? 

Post#21 » by Xatticus » Mon Nov 6, 2017 11:21 pm

Skin wrote:For the Magic, who do they turn to when things are hard? Who is their leader?

Fournier? Vuc? This is weak sauce. We have to admit that. The first step in correcting the error is identifying the error. That's not an easy first step to admit to.

These 2 guys are so hung up on this being "their" team that they have suffocating growth and flamed out anyone who threatened them in that role. Fournier and Oladipo were never really chummy as they battled for the same position. Ibaka and Biyombo came in with great excitement about wanting to be leaders and help our young guys. Vuc was a sulky petulant child and eventually the lockerrom went south as did our season. AG goes off for 41 and Evan says we need to share the ball. Any time these 2 guys face a threat to their status, they create a fuss. We can't realistically expect Isaac to grow into a star on this team. Evan and Vuc won't allow it.

This.

We need a David Robinson. I don't really care what position they play, but we need someone that leads by example and welcomes help and nurtures talent. We had that in Jameer, but we foolishly let him go.

People are beginning to criticize Gordon for the same things they criticized Oladipo and Harris for. Our young players are like starving puppies around one big bowl of food. They learn that they have to force their way in if they are going to get any food. We have an environment that fosters competition for offensive touches. Until we purge what has created this environment, the cycle will keep repeating. I was rather optimistic that our new front office was going to sort this given their language when they came in, but that remains to be seen. It really rubbed me the wrong way when Gordon had that fantastic game and the conversation was steered towards a lack of ball movement.

A huge factor in why I wanted to draft Isaac was how unselfish he was. Those that didn't want to draft him criticized him for what I consider to be one of his best traits. If you watched him in college, it was exceedingly apparent that this young man does what helps the team and doesn't gripe about his role in the offense. He played next to a guy that I would've found it incredibly frustrating to share a court with (Bacon), but he never showed a scrap of discontent. Still... I can't help but start to wonder how long it will take for our locker room hierarchy dynamic to start shaping his offensive development for the worse.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM
And1: 8,454

Post#22 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Tue Nov 7, 2017 12:03 am

Another player to keep an eye on is Harrison Barnes. He would fit like a glove on this current squad and might not take much to get him.
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
J the Drafter
Starter
And1: 298

Post#23 » by J the Drafter » Tue Nov 7, 2017 3:09 am

Depth. Our starters are capable of making the playoffs, but the team isn’t too well equipped to perform well if anyone is missing. Back in our contending days, our bench was full of quality players. Compare that to now, where the team has been leaning on past-their-prime players and journeymen to step up if anyone in the sl has to miss extended time. This is the first season we’ve seen where a key player misses a few weeks and the team hangs in there. (The exception being when Victor, Tobias or Evan got hurt; the combination of those players gave us quality depth on the wings.) Give credit to D.J. for holding down the fort, and give credit to Vogel for making things work without Payton.
Remember when Kobe elbowed Jameer in the chin so hard Jameer was knocked down and sent skidding across the floor?
Pepperidge Farm remembers.*

*Futurama
nicnac215
Sixth Man
And1: 536

Post#24 » by nicnac215 » Tue Nov 7, 2017 3:17 am

James Harden. He would be the perfect player to fit our team at PG.
Westbrook would be a close second.
NBAchamps2017
Pro Prospect
And1: 336

Post#25 » by NBAchamps2017 » Tue Nov 7, 2017 4:37 am

Nemesis21 wrote:Luka Doncic.

Payton/serviceable backup
Simmons/Iwundu
Doncic/Fournier
AG/Isaac
Vucevic/Speights

Also the Vuc/Fournier bromance needs to be broken up. That's why I moved Fournier to the bench.

Luka Doncic i thought he's a PG?
NBAchamps2017
Pro Prospect

Post#26 » by NBAchamps2017 » Tue Nov 7, 2017 4:43 am

nicnac215 wrote:James Harden. He would be the perfect player to fit our team at PG.
Westbrook would be a close second.

We need BOTH to have a chance for a playoff spot :D

I know somebody here will jump on my butt and say I'm 'clueless' :wink:
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,916

Post#27 » by drsd » Tue Nov 7, 2017 8:01 am

When is Payton back ????
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,288

Post#28 » by pepe1991 » Tue Nov 7, 2017 8:05 am

NBAchamps2017 wrote:

Simmons/Iwundu
Doncic/Fournier
AG/Isaac
Vucevic/Speights

Also the Vuc/Fournier bromance needs to be broken up. That's why I moved Fournier to the bench.

He is 6'7 ,plays PG, SG or SF
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,404

Post#29 » by Bensational » Tue Nov 7, 2017 9:05 am

We need a genuine go-to player who’s also unselfish and good at sharing the ball. Could come at any position, as most of our players are capable of playing at least 1 other position.

Then, we need good depth. Having the luxury of Simmons as a 6th man in a Manu style role really hasn’t had a chance to show its full effect with all the injuries we’ve had.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by Bensational » Tue Nov 7, 2017 9:08 am

Xatticus wrote:
Skin wrote:For the Magic, who do they turn to when things are hard? Who is their leader?

Fournier? Vuc? This is weak sauce. We have to admit that. The first step in correcting the error is identifying the error. That's not an easy first step to admit to.

These 2 guys are so hung up on this being "their" team that they have suffocating growth and flamed out anyone who threatened them in that role. Fournier and Oladipo were never really chummy as they battled for the same position. Ibaka and Biyombo came in with great excitement about wanting to be leaders and help our young guys. Vuc was a sulky petulant child and eventually the lockerrom went south as did our season. AG goes off for 41 and Evan says we need to share the ball. Any time these 2 guys face a threat to their status, they create a fuss. We can't realistically expect Isaac to grow into a star on this team. Evan and Vuc won't allow it.

This.

We need a David Robinson. I don't really care what position they play, but we need someone that leads by example and welcomes help and nurtures talent. We had that in Jameer, but we foolishly let him go.

People are beginning to criticize Gordon for the same things they criticized Oladipo and Harris for. Our young players are like starving puppies around one big bowl of food. They learn that they have to force their way in if they are going to get any food. We have an environment that fosters competition for offensive touches. Until we purge what has created this environment, the cycle will keep repeating. I was rather optimistic that our new front office was going to sort this given their language when they came in, but that remains to be seen. It really rubbed me the wrong way when Gordon had that fantastic game and the conversation was steered towards a lack of ball movement.

We must have the only fan base that could find a fault in their 22 year old stud PF putting up 41 points and securing a win. And then a lot of them are likely to turn around and say we need a go-to scorer who can go out and get us 40 points on any given night.
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#31 » by pepe1991 » Tue Nov 7, 2017 9:35 am

Bensational wrote:
Xatticus wrote:

This.

We must have the only fan base that could find a fault in their 22 year old stud PF putting up 41 points and securing a win. And then a lot of them are likely to turn around and say we need a go-to scorer who can go out and get us 40 points on any given night.

Yes, we do need go to scorer. Vučević scored 41 as well, so he should be go to scorer by your logic as well ?
Gordon had amazing 41 points game, so did Vučević, so did TJ Warren and Kriss Middleton. In 3 weeks we had 10 individual performances of players scoring 40 or more.
Because of increased paced all over the league , in 3 weeks of basketball we have 60 individual performances by players that lead to 30 or more points in single game. Between them 3 ex Magic players ( JJ, Harris, Oladipo )
Literally everybody can score, but only selective few can do it on night to night bases .
NBAchamps2017
Pro Prospect

Post#32 » by NBAchamps2017 » Tue Nov 7, 2017 10:55 am

pepe1991 wrote:
NBAchamps2017 wrote:

Simmons/Iwundu
Doncic/Fournier
AG/Isaac
Vucevic/Speights

:droop:

Now, what's the logical way of acquiring him?
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#33 » by pepe1991 » Tue Nov 7, 2017 11:50 am

NBAchamps2017 wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
NBAchamps2017 wrote:

:droop:

Now, what's the logical way of acquiring him?

Insert Iwunduw, Biyombo and Payne in SL for rest of a season :lol:
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by Bensational » Tue Nov 7, 2017 12:13 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
Bensational wrote:
Xatticus wrote:
This.

Yes, we do need go to scorer. Vučević scored 41 as well, so he should be go to scorer by your logic as well ?
Gordon had amazing 41 points game, so did Vučević, so did TJ Warren and Kriss Middleton. In 3 weeks we had 10 individual performances of players scoring 40 or more.
Because of increased paced all over the league , in 3 weeks of basketball we have 60 individual performances by players that lead to 30 or more points in single game. Between them 3 ex Magic players ( JJ, Harris, Oladipo )
Literally everybody can score, but only selective few can do it on night to night bases .

I was making the point that Gordon more or less got called out by some posters for 'forcing' shots and not passing the ball. But, any player who's a legit go to scorer will force a lot of shots and look off a lot of passes.
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#35 » by pepe1991 » Tue Nov 7, 2017 12:26 pm

Bensational wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
Bensational wrote:

I was making the point that Gordon more or less got called out by some posters for 'forcing' shots and not passing the ball. But, any player who's a legit go to scorer will force a lot of shots and look off a lot of passes.

It's a given, you can't score without shooting :lol:
IMO for Magic to take a next step, getting allstar level SF or PG is a key. That would also reduce volumen from Gordon, Vučević and Evan a bit ,but their overall efficiency would climb. That being said , i'm not sure who can Magic target. Maybe Paul George ?
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 4,986

Post#36 » by Ducklett » Tue Nov 7, 2017 12:36 pm

A RealGM board that isn't so toxic and has more funny memes.

A special operations team that can locate and retrieve the nudes Terrance Ross has of our coaching staff and management and destroy them.

Signing this chihuahua (who has more skill than T. Ross) to a contract Image
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#37 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Nov 7, 2017 12:38 pm

NBAchamps2017 wrote:

Simmons/Iwundu
Doncic/Fournier
AG/Isaac
Vucevic/Speights

SG/SF, who could play some PG. Has good handles, good vision, play making ability.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#38 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Nov 7, 2017 12:40 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
NBAchamps2017 wrote:

Simmons/Iwundu
Doncic/Fournier
AG/Isaac
Vucevic/Speights

6'8 220 :wink:
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#39 » by pepe1991 » Tue Nov 7, 2017 1:00 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
NBAchamps2017 wrote:

By far most talented kid in Europe last.... ever ?
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#40 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Nov 7, 2017 1:06 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

By far most talented kid in Europe last.... ever ?

Well that title currently belongs to Drazen Petrovic(outside of Dirk), but some are saying Doncic is even better. We will see.

Return to Orlando Magic