ImageImageImageImage

What does this team NEED?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,298

Re: What does this team NEED? 

Post#41 » by pepe1991 » Tue Nov 7, 2017 1:17 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:

6'8 220 :wink:

By far most talented kid in Europe last.... ever ?

Well that title currently belongs to Drazen Petrovic(outside of Dirk), but some are saying Doncic is even better. We will see.

Sabonis was brutal as well, when he went to nba he had to go through medical examination, Before signing Sabonis, Portland's then-general manager Bob Whitsitt asked the Blazers team physician to look at Sabonis' X-rays. Illustrating the impact of Sabonis' numerous injuries, Whitsitt recalled in a 2011 interview that when the doctor reported the results, "He said that Arvydas could qualify for a handicapped parking spot based on the X-ray alone

Draz will forever be my favorite Euro, we are both from same city, before i ever picked up basketball i knew who he was and what he did. His offcourt contribution to Croatia in war years means way too much for each and every Croat, especially us who live in Šibenik , his city, where he started and played pro BB at age of 16.
In 1983 he won us only national title, making 2 free trows in front of 5000 people in arena that has 500 seats , later that day, under green table we lost title because of policy of comunist Yugoslavia.

And there is Hezonja... probably most hated Croatian basketball player in years here in Croatia :lol:
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#42 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Nov 7, 2017 1:46 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
By far most talented kid in Europe last.... ever ?

Well that title currently belongs to Drazen Petrovic(outside of Dirk), but some are saying Doncic is even better. We will see.

Sabonis was brutal as well, when he went to nba he had to go through medical examination, Before signing Sabonis, Portland's then-general manager Bob Whitsitt asked the Blazers team physician to look at Sabonis' X-rays. Illustrating the impact of Sabonis' numerous injuries, Whitsitt recalled in a 2011 interview that when the doctor reported the results, "He said that Arvydas could qualify for a handicapped parking spot based on the X-ray alone

Draz will forever be my favorite Euro, we are both from same city, before i ever picked up basketball i knew who he was and what he did. His offcourt contribution to Croatia in war years means way too much for each and every Croat, especially us who live in Šibenik , his city, where he started and played pro BB at age of 16.
In 1983 he won us only national title, making 2 free trows in front of 5000 people in arena that has 500 seats , later that day, under green table we lost title because of policy of comunist Yugoslavia.

And there is Hezonja... probably most hated Croatian basketball player in years here in Croatia :lol:

Agree! Arvydas too
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,190

Post#43 » by cedric76 » Tue Nov 7, 2017 2:37 pm

Needs better fans

Sent from my SM-A310F using RealGM mobile app
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#44 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Nov 7, 2017 3:00 pm

cedric76 wrote:Needs better fans

Sent from my SM-A310F using RealGM mobile app

Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,181

Post#45 » by Optimus_Steel » Tue Nov 7, 2017 3:20 pm

We need a star that can score easily.
aka: prorl
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#46 » by Max Power » Tue Nov 7, 2017 3:49 pm

Getting a star pg or sf is the easiest or quickest answer. Adding Paul George or Mike Conley in either spot turns this team into a conference contender. But in reality, a clear cut leader needs to be established. Fournier and Vucevic are flankers, not the lead guys. Right now Jonathan Simmons is probably the Magic’s leader, and he’s been here a couple months. Vuc and Fournier have been here several years with little to show outside stats.

Another thing the Magic need is a guy that takes real pride in manning the paint on defense. Bizmack could be that guy, but isn’t angry enough. Issac could be too but he’s a few years away. Sadly I don’t think players are bred like Dwight Howard, Ben Wallace and Charles Oakley these days.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
You look confused...let me fill you in.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#47 » by Skin » Tue Nov 7, 2017 5:42 pm

We needed to beat Greg Monroe and a bunch of lousy picks.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Tayswagzzz
Analyst
And1: 1,701

Post#48 » by Tayswagzzz » Tue Nov 7, 2017 5:47 pm

A primary ball handler, all-star level PG. It's the deepest position in the NBA and look what we're stuck with.
Orlando Magic | Atlanta Braves | Florida State
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,602

Post#49 » by BadMofoPimp » Tue Nov 7, 2017 6:26 pm

Skin wrote:We needed to beat Greg Monroe and a bunch of lousy picks.

Hard to beat a $17 mil expiring and a 1st rounder. Magic don't have enough expirings to pull that off.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
NavalAviator94
Analyst
And1: 1,456

Post#50 » by NavalAviator94 » Tue Nov 7, 2017 10:31 pm

Here's my Rx

Need: Small Forward. We go all in to woo Paul George to be the man with his old coach.

18/19 Elf, Evan, Paul George, Aaron Gordon, Vuc

Short Term

- Pray that Terrence Ross finds his shot AND some consistency. We'll need to trade him to get Paul George and need his value UP.

- Continue the ball movement/team ball with that first Unit. It's working.

- Realize that there are 2 units and the second Unit should PASS THE BALL. Stop playing hero/bail out ball with Simmons. The entire second Unit is suffering as a result. Pass the ball for the open shot!

- Build up Mario's value by getting him some minutes and RHYTHM! He's shooting the ball well! God knows how with his up and down minutes. Defense aside, let him run, shoot and pass! Take advantage of the good things he can do and just see what the hell happens because - what does it matter at this point? Who in that second unit can hit 3's and run the floor besides an injured DJ?

- Biyombo can't be effective if the previous 2 points aren't addressed. With him on the floor you have to have shooters out there. It's on the coaching staff to really work with this second unit to get them playing together as a team.

- Maybe, just maybe, you create enough value around Mario/Biyombo/Ross that we can move them.

At some point it's on the coaching staff to create schemes that take advantage of the strength's of certain players. At this point in time the jury is still out on the coaching staff but we'll see as the season goes on.
NavalAviator94
Analyst
And1: 1,456

Post#51 » by NavalAviator94 » Tue Nov 7, 2017 10:35 pm

I posted this in the Boston Game thread. Blue And White made the same connect. Very applicable here.

I'm going to add in that the second unit sucks because there is no ball movement. It's easy to have tunnel vision on the starting 5 considering we didn't have that Unit until late last year. However, we can walk and chew gum here COACHES.

Right now it's the Jonathan Simmons show - drive to the basket and rarely pass to an open team mate. Simmons is playing well individually, but when that second Unit is on the floor, he isn't making them a better unit.

Read this article on Steve Kerr revolutionizing the Warriors. It's a great article with some great nuggets like "300 passes a game" or an excerpt like this on sharing vs isolation.

On defense, the Warriors are stout, loaded with long-limbed forwards who can easily switch on any pick-and-roll. Kerr doesn't want to tinker with a squad that ranked third in defensive efficiency the season before. But offensively, they ranked 12th. Kerr knows that nine of the previous 10 NBA champs ranked in the top 10 in both categories. He'd told general manager Bob Myers that if they wanted to win a title, they'd need to do the same. Transitioning from heavy isolation to heavy passing and movement would be dramatic, but "there's a makeup in every player who's ever played," Kerr says, "that if you get to touch the ball and you get to be a part of the action -- whether it's as an assist man, ball mover, shooter, dribbler -- the more people who are involved in the offense, the more powerful it becomes."

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/enterpriseWarriors/how-steve-kerr-revolutionized-golden-state-warriors-offense-charcuterie-board
rusoopE
Sixth Man
And1: 678

Post#52 » by rusoopE » Tue Nov 7, 2017 11:45 pm

A haircut
"It's like 60 minutes on acid" - David Byrne

Vuc and Isaac supporter
NBAchamps2017
Pro Prospect
And1: 336

Post#53 » by NBAchamps2017 » Wed Nov 8, 2017 12:40 am

rusoopE wrote:A haircut

ralphie9898
Analyst
And1: 390

Post#54 » by ralphie9898 » Wed Nov 8, 2017 5:56 am

MagicFan101 wrote:I’m really interested in hearing what people here think of this.

With Elf we have a solid young PG.
With Fournier we have a strong scoring PG.
With Ross / Simmons we have a good SF rotation.
With AG we might have a star PF.
With Vuc we have a reliable scorer at C.

With Isaac we have a young piece who could be great at a number of places.

We have a lot of “solid” and “good” pieces which have offered us the depth needed for a nice start to the season. Still, clearly we need a star to reach the next level.

BUT!! where would we benefit MOST from adding a star?

I’m completely torn. Looking at the breakdown above I might quickly turn to SF. But what about Vuc at Center? Or Fournier at SG? Or Elf at PG? Aahhh!

Help me out here. Think of your favorite superstar at each position. Who helps THIS Orlando Magic team most?

Yeah it depends as always on what is actually available to us. You can say go after this guy or that guy but if he is a free agent we don't have the money as of right now to offer much. Also he may not want to sign here even if we offer a similar contract. If it is a center then it is a center. If you want to trade for someone you have to compensate that team enough to compel them to trade away that guy. Some situations are easier then others but still it can't be done just with a snap of your fingers as even in an easy to let go situation(like the one we have with Bledsoe) there will be other guys that could offer better then us and it depends on what that management team likes not what we would like or think is fair. So in thee end it simply about getting star talent who can do things better on both ends of the court. I am encouraged by our start but still think we aren't exactly the best team even in our division(even tho our current record says we are). But yeah I wouldn't peg one position over the other. simply need to get the best talent we can and that not one position really stands out that we need an upgrade but we could still upgrade each spot. Isaac is still more mystery but a mystery I like so maybe I say a PG, SG or a center. But still could see it being a forward as Isaac and Gordon and Simmons have some positional flexibility and there would still be plenty of minutes available for a star forward as well as Gordon or Isaac and Simmons.
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,253

Post#55 » by Statlanta » Wed Nov 8, 2017 6:15 am

I see the greatest players in franchise history either wear #1 or are a #1 draft pick so

SomeONE.
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
NBAchamps2017
Pro Prospect

Post#56 » by NBAchamps2017 » Wed Nov 8, 2017 6:46 am

OrlandoTill wrote:I see the greatest players in franchise history either wear #1 or are a #1 draft pick so

SomeONE.

I see the greatest players in franchise history either wear #32 or are a #32 draft pick. :wink:

FIXED for you.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,924

Post#57 » by drsd » Wed Nov 8, 2017 9:41 am

rusoopE wrote:A haircut

I can't wait!

NBAchamps2017
Pro Prospect

Post#58 » by NBAchamps2017 » Wed Nov 8, 2017 9:48 am

drsd wrote:I can't wait!

Me too.

oh wait... you're talking about the hair. I am thinking about his shooting skill! :wink:
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,950

Post#59 » by Last Guardian » Wed Nov 8, 2017 1:54 pm

- We need Payton back and getting triple doubles, or at least attacking the basket and getting 8+ assists a game. For the love of god get the ball out of Simmons and Fourniers hands.

- We need Ross to start shooting his career average and stop messing about. Good defender though.

- In conjunction with the first point, we need Fournier to focus on scoring and not being a playmaker because he is awful at it.

- Definitely need AG to keep shooting even when he settles down. And keep working on that offensive game. Ball movement is great but you need a dynamic scorer to win.

The idea that we need to upgrade PG because scoring PGs are in...I think scoring in general is in. We don't need a PG that can shoot if we have 4 shooters on the floor. In fact the way the team is built at the moment, a playmaking PG to get open shots for shooters is ideal.

To answer your question, the way the team is, a star SF makes the most sense. Hopefully Isaac turns into that, or even AG since he can shoot now.
BballIsLife11
Sophomore
And1: 85

Post#60 » by BballIsLife11 » Wed Nov 8, 2017 2:12 pm

Our needs:
- A go to alpha scorer
- A defensive center that can protect the rim and is capable on offense
- To trade one of Vooch or Fournier (preferably Vooch). I've said this many times... those two should not be on the court together all that much. The 2 man game is disgusting at times.

Return to Orlando Magic