ImageImageImageImage

Sweater Vest Thread #7: Magic 112 - Knicks 99

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Vest goes to...

Poll ended at Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:30 am

Payton 11 pts 11 ast 6 reb 2 stl 2 blk
62%
Vuc 24 pts 5 reb 4 stl 1 blk
7%
Gordon 21 pts 4 reb 1 blk
10%
Fournier 23 pts 5 ast 5 stl 1 blk
18%
Simmons 16 pts 2 ast 1 stl
3%

Total votes: 60

DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,475

Re: Sweater Vest Thread #7: Magic 112 - Knicks 99 

Post#21 » by DiplomaticMagic » Thu Nov 9, 2017 11:02 am

Ducklett wrote:EZ my boy Elf. I wish we extended him so I could buy his Jersey.

I said same thing but I bought his jersey anyway. He really has been my favorite player past couple years, think he's very underrated, and gets a lot of undeserved criticism. I have to rep for my boy EP!

If we don't re-sign Elfrid, I really don't see where we going to find an upgrade unless thru trade. But I'm telling ya, EP is the PG for this team.
Stop playing Fultz
Play AB and Goga
Magic4champ
Junior
And1: 237

Post#22 » by Magic4champ » Thu Nov 9, 2017 11:28 am

Glue guy, point guard, table setter. Elf made everyone look good.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,233

Post#23 » by Blue_and_Whte » Thu Nov 9, 2017 12:12 pm

OrlDave wrote:Elf clearly was the engine tonight. Everyone in the SL played great offensively. Except Ross... always except Ross. Evan, AG and Nik all shot 50% or better from 3 combining to go 10 for 18. Evan turned the ball over a bit (4) but made up for it with 5 steals and a block. Nik had 4 steals and a block. Rebounding was weak across the board, except for Elf with 6. Our starting bigs combined for 9 so that's something to work on. All in all, great offensive game, glad to get the win, but our defense and rebounding still need a lot of work.

Seems like Niks rebounding has suffered from being out on the perimeter more. Less offensive rebounds. Should pick up though. I'm going with Elf tonight but it's really A 5 way tie between Evan Nik Ag elf and Simmons

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,970

Post#24 » by KillMonger » Thu Nov 9, 2017 12:22 pm

You can make a solid case for a few guys, i give elf the edge even if it looked like he wasn't all the way back. It's encouraging to me that he looked like he was going like 75% speed but still had arguably the biggest impact for this game. Hopefully he gets back to game speed soon but nice outing for the first game back, nice to get his feet wet before the road trip.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,151

Post#25 » by Knightro » Thu Nov 9, 2017 12:29 pm

Magic_Johnny12 wrote:I don't understand why Ross is still starting? Can someone fill me in the mystery advanced stat that indicates he's a positive when starting?

We literally have a better defender in Isaac that can fill in quite nicely or a better versatile player in Simmons...is this a don't fix it if it ain't broken situation?

It’s like y’all are making my life’s mission defending Ross’ place in the starting lineup. :lol:

The short answer? Isaac isn’t a good enough floor spacer (yet) and Simmons is a ball stopping isolation player. And I say that loving both guys.

The longer answer(s)...

-The starting lineup is producing very well with Ross in it.
-Ross is defending at a high level.
-Teams still very much respect Ross’ ability to make threes. Even though he’s struggling with them right now, teams don’t sag off him as much as they would Isaac or Simmons.
-Moving Simmons into the SL would mean gross Mack-Ross-Hezonja-Isaac-Biyombo second units that would make us all crazy.
-The Magic have two players capable of breaking defenders down off the dribble - Payton and Simmons. To me, it makes the most sense to always have one of those two on the floor and the easiest way to do that is to keep bringing Simmons off the bench.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#26 » by Nemesis21 » Thu Nov 9, 2017 12:46 pm

The Savior Elfrid " I'm not cutting my hair Orlando Magic RealGM" Payton. We play so much better with him. He flirted with a triple double again.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,090

Post#27 » by yoyojw17 » Thu Nov 9, 2017 12:48 pm

Knightro wrote:
Magic_Johnny12 wrote:I don't understand why Ross is still starting? Can someone fill me in the mystery advanced stat that indicates he's a positive when starting?

We literally have a better defender in Isaac that can fill in quite nicely or a better versatile player in Simmons...is this a don't fix it if it ain't broken situation?

It’s like y’all are making my life’s mission defending Ross’ place in the starting lineup. :lol:

The short answer? Isaac isn’t a good enough floor spacer (yet) and Simmons is a ball stopping isolation player. And I say that loving both guys.

The longer answer(s)...

-Teams still very much respect Ross’ ability to make threes. Even though he’s struggling with them right now, teams don’t sag off him as much as they would Isaac or Simmons.
-Moving Simmons into the SL would mean gross Mack-Ross-Hezonja-Isaac-Biyombo second units that would make us all crazy.
-The Magic have two players capable of breaking defenders down off the dribble - Payton and Simmons. To me, it makes the most sense to always have one of those two on the floor and the easiest way to do that is to keep bringing Simmons off the bench.

for a bit i was thinking of ross off the bench and giving more time to someone else that is producing. but with his defense.... he is doing great!....and at some point i'm sure his shot will fall again. When he does... that starting unit will be that more potent. Having NEW DJ and Simmons off the bench would give us the leadership and aggression we need to lead the bench unit. I definitely agree with you'll. Simmons.... shoot for 6th man award buddy and our team will be looking as good as possible over the last 5 years.
OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,940

Post#28 » by OrlandoDream » Thu Nov 9, 2017 1:29 pm

DiplomaticMagic wrote:

I said same thing but I bought his jersey anyway. He really has been my favorite player past couple years, think he's very underrated, and gets a lot of undeserved criticism. I have to rep for my boy EP!

If we don't re-sign Elfrid, I really don't see where we going to find an upgrade unless thru trade. But I'm telling ya, EP is the PG for this team.

I've been supporting EP from day 1 and still do but its gonna depend on how much he asks. The best asset he has on why he is so important to the team is the experience and chemistry of playing with the core guys (AG, Vuc, Ross, etc). He knows their tendencies, spots, and how to get them the ball and just make it easy to score for them.

With that said, any NBA level starting PG will develop that with time and experience. EP is important to us because he controls the pace and is also a great rebounding PG which is needed since we have one of the weakest rebounding frontcourts in the NBA.

I hope we sign him long term to something like 5 year 60-65mil but more than that we have to look elsewhere imo. Good news for us is that EP isnt highly regarded around the league and I dont see any team with cap offering stupid money.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,133

Post#29 » by Optimus_Steel » Thu Nov 9, 2017 2:15 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:
Knightro wrote:

The longer answer(s)...

for a bit i was thinking of ross off the bench and giving more time to someone else that is producing. but with his defense.... he is doing great!....and at some point i'm sure his shot will fall again. When he does... that starting unit will be that more potent. Having NEW DJ and Simmons off the bench would give us the leadership and aggression we need to lead the bench unit. I definitely agree with you'll. Simmons.... shoot for 6th man award buddy and our team will be looking as good as possible over the last 5 years.

It is odd that his 2pt shooting has completely fallen off a cliff, even the easy 10 footers. He was 2 for 3 on 3pts so atleast that was encouraging.
aka: prorl
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,041

Post#30 » by MagicStarwipe » Thu Nov 9, 2017 2:36 pm

OrlandoDream wrote:
DiplomaticMagic wrote:

I've been supporting EP from day 1 and still do but its gonna depend on how much he asks. The best asset he has on why he is so important to the team is the experience and chemistry of playing with the core guys (AG, Vuc, Ross, etc). He knows their tendencies, spots, and how to get them the ball and just make it easy to score for them.

With that said, any NBA level starting PG will develop that with time and experience. EP is important to us because he controls the pace and is also a great rebounding PG which is needed since we have one of the weakest rebounding frontcourts in the NBA.

I hope we sign him long term to something like 5 year 60-65mil but more than that we have to look elsewhere imo. Good news for us is that EP isnt highly regarded around the league and I dont see any team with cap offering stupid money.

This might be true amongst people that don't really watch us that just assume he's like MCW, but NBA GM's may regard him a bit higher.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
OrlandoDream
General Manager

Post#31 » by OrlandoDream » Thu Nov 9, 2017 3:11 pm

MagicStarwipe wrote:
OrlandoDream wrote:
DiplomaticMagic wrote:

This might be true amongst people that don't really watch us that just assume he's like MCW, but NBA GM's may regard him a bit higher.

Perhaps but looking around the league, what team with cap space in 2018 will be in need of a PG that cant shoot and will most likely command 12-14mil+ per season?
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM
And1: 8,450

Post#32 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Thu Nov 9, 2017 3:54 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:
Knightro wrote:

The longer answer(s)...

The starters -ross + isaac went 128.6 ortg and 62.3 drtg.

Vooch - Isaac combo (9 minutes together) you ask lol?

You guys ready for this?

105.9 ORTG
48.8 DRTG
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#33 » by Knightro » Thu Nov 9, 2017 4:03 pm

Magic_Johnny12 wrote:The starters -ross + isaac went 128.6 ortg and 62.3 drtg.

You guys ready for this?

105.9 ORTG
48.8 DRTG

Could just be small sample size noise going against a team missing their best player, but these numbers are absolutely eye popping. It's something to monitor on this upcoming road trip.

The normal Payton-Ross-Fournier-Gordon-Vucevic starting lineup has been one of the Magic's most productive with a 27.3 NETRTG, so I'm not rushing to stop using it, but being able to slide Isaac in off the bench to replace Ross and not miss a beat would be great moving forward.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,153

Post#34 » by OrlChamps2030 » Thu Nov 9, 2017 4:16 pm

I voted for Elfrid. This team is night and day with Payton/DJ running it as opposed to Mack. Which is why I wasn’t ready to jump off the ledge after the bulls/celtics games
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,958

Post#35 » by Xatticus » Thu Nov 9, 2017 4:18 pm

Knightro wrote:
Magic_Johnny12 wrote:The starters -ross + isaac went 128.6 ortg and 62.3 drtg.

You guys ready for this?

105.9 ORTG
48.8 DRTG

Could just be small sample size noise going against a team missing their best player, but these numbers are absolutely eye popping. It's something to monitor on this upcoming road trip.

The normal Payton-Ross-Fournier-Gordon-Vucevic starting lineup has been one of the Magic's most productive with a 27.3 NETRTG, so I'm not rushing to stop using it, but being able to slide Isaac in off the bench to replace Ross and not miss a beat would be great moving forward.

It is a small sample and we obviously aren't going to outscore our opposition 2-to-1 by simply moving Isaac into the starting lineup for Ross, but Isaac brings a lot of what this starting unit needs. He is a better defender than Ross and much better rebounder. The move would also open up opportunities for Ross offensively by playing off of Simmons. His usage is microscopic in this first unit.

I'm not really bothered by this at the moment though, as I'm almost certain that it will happen eventually. My only concern about the move would regard Isaac keeping his foul rate down. Isaac isn't hitting his open threes yet, but he is making the right decisions and I'm content to let him continue taking those shots.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#36 » by Knightro » Thu Nov 9, 2017 4:23 pm

Xatticus wrote:It is a small sample and we obviously aren't going to outscore our opposition 2-to-1 by simply moving Isaac into the starting lineup for Ross, but Isaac brings a lot of what this starting unit needs. He is a better defender than Ross and much better rebounder. The move would also open up opportunities for Ross offensively by playing off of Simmons. His usage is microscopic in this first unit.

I'm not really bothered by this at the moment though, as I'm almost certain that it will happen eventually. My only concern about the move would regard Isaac keeping his foul rate down. Isaac isn't hitting his open threes yet, but he is making the right decisions and I'm content to let him continue taking those shots.

I agree. Either way it's great for Vogel to have quality options off his bench for once.

If Augustin's good start was real and he can maintain it when he comes back from his hamstring, then the Magic really only have glaring weakness in the 9-man rotation (Biyombo).

Isaac and Simmons have just been so much better than the trash the Magic had to trot out there off the bench last year.
OrlandoDream
General Manager

Post#37 » by OrlandoDream » Thu Nov 9, 2017 4:25 pm

Magic_Johnny12 wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:
Knightro wrote:

The longer answer(s)...

The starters -ross + isaac went 128.6 ortg and 62.3 drtg.

You guys ready for this?

105.9 ORTG
48.8 DRTG

The lineup of the future is
PG: EP
SG: Fournier(where he belongs)
SF: Isaac
PF: AG
C: Vuc

The centerfold of this team will be AG and Issac. Building that MIL 2.0 long and athletic wings that are can switch and guard multiple positions. If our roster was not as deep this year, Isaac would be starting. Its too early now and like it was discussed, vogel and Forcier are bringing him up slowly. This is the evaluation year so that starting SF spot will be on Ross, and even Simmons if we decide to switch it up. Isaac needs to bulk up a little more, work on putting the ball on the floor, and stop hesitating and be more confident. All will come in time. A lineup of AG and Isaac 2-3 years down the road is exciting!
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,333

Post#38 » by PrimeThyme » Thu Nov 9, 2017 5:11 pm

I had posted about this in the game thread but if you go back and watch the stretch from about 6 minutes till the end of the half, it was one of the best stretches of the game. The defense was incredibly stifling. This highlight dosent do it its full justice as a lot of the great defensive plays are left out but you can see (3:40 in the video) the starters check back in with Isaac around the 6-minute mark down by 6 and frank runs that lieneup the rest of the half and we end up being up 4 at the half.

Obviously, I think Frank has been experimenting with this lineup intentionally because that is the lineup of the future. Now how close that future is remains to be seen. I don't think he can put it off for too long though because the potential that we have defensively with it is too much to pass up on.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#39 » by Nemesis21 » Thu Nov 9, 2017 6:00 pm

PrimeShaq wrote:
I had posted about this in the game thread but if you go back and watch the stretch from about 6 minutes till the end of the half, it was one of the best stretches of the game. The defense was incredibly stifling. This highlight dosent do it its full justice as a lot of the great defensive plays are left out but you can see (3:40 in the video) the starters check back in with Isaac around the 6-minute mark down by 6 and frank runs that lieneup the rest of the half and we end up being up 4 at the half.

Obviously, I think Frank has been experimenting with this lineup intentionally because that is the lineup of the future. Now how close that future is remains to be seen. I don't think he can put it off for too long though because the potential that we have defensively with it is too much to pass up on.

Love that extra pass from Groot, in the corner to Vuc or Gordon(can't tell who it is, Davis Steele says Gordon, but it looks like Vuc) or the open 3, at the 4:30 mark in the video.
OrlDave
General Manager
And1: 3,017

Post#40 » by OrlDave » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:27 am

Nemesis21 wrote:
PrimeShaq wrote:

Love that extra pass from Groot, in the corner to Vuc or Gordon(can't tell who it is, Davis Steele says Gordon, but it looks like Vuc) or the open 3, at the 4:30 mark in the video.

It was definitely Gordon. You can see his number, but I'm looking on my pc monitor, probably hard to see on a phone. Looking in retrospect, Elf tossed that nice alley to Isaac who missed and then Elf put it back. Had it gone correctly Elf would have ended up with 9 and 12 so JI unwittingly helped Elf get a double double lol.

Return to Orlando Magic