ImageImageImageImage

Worst move by Hennigan - POLL

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Which of those f... ups is the biggest?

Trading Ryno for Gustavo Ayon
1%
Hiring Jacques Vaughn as a head coach
2%
Scott Skiles fiasco
4%
Giving up 1st round pick and Saric for Brickfrid
7%
Selecting Mario with 5th pick
4%
Trading Tobias Harris for Ilyasova and Jennings
8%
The Serge Ibaka trade (for Dipo, Sabonis and Ilyasova)
58%
Bismack Byiombo's contract (while letting Dedmon go for peanuts)
15%
Signing DJ Augustin to 4 years
No votes
The white board-gate
2%

Total votes: 114

The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,069

Re: Worst move by Hennigan - POLL 

Post#61 » by The Real Dalic » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:10 pm

Last Guardian wrote:The funny thing is that the Ibaka trade will dominate the poll but go back to the threads and only a few of us were against it at the time.

It's called accepting that we were wrong.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
The Real Dalic
RealGM

Post#62 » by The Real Dalic » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:13 pm

OrlandoNed wrote:
Last Guardian wrote:The funny thing is that the Ibaka trade will dominate the poll but go back to the threads and only a few of us were against it at the time.

Remember the ones on that "AG at SF" bandwagon? :roll: CoughSkinCough

I get that everyone loves a good "I told you so" but people can have a different opinion and then accept it when they're wrong. I was never a fan of AG at SF, but I don't care that there were many who wanted it.
The Real Dalic
RealGM

Post#63 » by The Real Dalic » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:18 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
Mauro Pedrosa wrote:I think drafting Elfrid Payton was the beginning of the end. Not necessarily the worst decision at the moment, but the most impactful. Sticking with Payton has led us to where we are right now

I don't think we'd be that much better with Saric than with Payton.

Career numbers:

Payton - 11ppg 7apg 4 rpg .44% FG .30% 3 pt FG .61% FT

Saric - 13ppg 6rpg 2apg .41% FG .32% 3pt FG .78% FT

It's not exactly like Saric is lighting it up every night and carrying Philly.

Yeah, not sure why people are still hating on that trade, Payton is the better player in my opinion, and that "1st round draft pick" was actually most likely going to be two second round picks.
DjPuffnStuff
Sophomore
And1: 114

Post#64 » by DjPuffnStuff » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:21 pm

WeAreVenom wrote:
Mauro Pedrosa wrote:Yep. Hennigan wasn't all bad. He DID draft Aaron Gordon, when no one expected him to go 4th. He DID draft Victor Oladipo. Even the Dwight trade was pretty ok considering the circumstances. Vucevic could've been a diamond in the rough, but his defense was just proven to be too toxic. You can't know that right away

Hennigan blew it when he mismanaged the assets that he worked so hard to get. Gave up on the wrong players and paid the price

Yeah, it's actually very bizarre.....In a way, he reminds me of Otis, but with a better eye for young talent.

I do wonder what part upper management played in all of this, I have a hard time believe he just decided to give up Dipo for Ibaka.

s/n: Ibaka is my least favorite Magic player of all time. I never got the sense that he was trying.

I always felt that the Dipo/Ibaka trade had more of a Vogel influence than the FO.
TreasureCoast
Analyst
And1: 2,745

Post#65 » by TreasureCoast » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:34 pm

His worst move was bending over and taking it from Alex Martins, as if he ever had a choice.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,111

Post#66 » by tiderulz » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:06 pm

The Real Dalic wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:
Mauro Pedrosa wrote:I think drafting Elfrid Payton was the beginning of the end. Not necessarily the worst decision at the moment, but the most impactful. Sticking with Payton has led us to where we are right now

I don't think we'd be that much better with Saric than with Payton.

Career numbers:

Payton - 11ppg 7apg 4 rpg .44% FG .30% 3 pt FG .61% FT

Saric - 13ppg 6rpg 2apg .41% FG .32% 3pt FG .78% FT

It's not exactly like Saric is lighting it up every night and carrying Philly.

Yeah, not sure why people are still hating on that trade, Payton is the better player in my opinion, and that "1st round draft pick" was actually most likely going to be two second round picks.

it would actually have likely been a 1st round pick this year, and we also paid a 2nd round pick in that trade also.

So it was #10 for #12, plus their 1st round pick this year (if they make playoffs) plus #35 in the 2015 draft (Willy Hernangomez).

Payton hasnt shown that much value in my opinion
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,019

Post#67 » by fendilim » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:37 pm

Skin wrote:
OrlandoNed wrote:

Remember the ones on that "AG at SF" bandwagon? :roll: CoughSkinCough

The experience Gordon got at SF last year, is a big reason why he's a much better player this year. He learned what he needed to work on to get better and you can tell he worked his ass off this summer. In fact, he's better equip to play SF now and he may get more minutes there once Isaac cements himself in the starting line up. Gordon is too good to "just be a PF". Vogel can use Gordon's versatility to the team's advantage. Nice try though.

If he stayed at PF the way Skiles was using him, we'd be looking at a role player.

lol. he can't even blow by defenders coming off pick and rolls. He's playing at the right position. That sf thing is over.
fendilim
RealGM

Post#68 » by fendilim » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:37 pm

Honestly, his worst move was he panicked. That's it.

I believe he had a 5-year plan and that was to competing for the 8th seed in the 3rd year. And we weren't anywhere close to that. So he may have forced himself to trade Tobias for Skiles' boys, and then traded for Ibaka thinking it would eventually seal a playoff spot. Thus, we ended up trading Dipo too, because it was probably the only way to get Ibaka.

He made good decisions acquiring Vuc, Afflalo, Fournier among others. But he panicked. It caused him then, but has a good eye for talent.
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#69 » by Max Power » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:36 pm

I can’t see the poll anywhere but I’ll assume the Tobias Harris and Victor Oladipo trades made the list. The resigning of Fournier and signing Bizmack to a galactic sized contract are there too. All of which could earn the worst move status. Let’s just hope Weltman and Hammond don’t make the same level mistake handing Elfrid Payton a huge contract.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
You look confused...let me fill you in.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#70 » by Blue_and_Whte » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:27 pm

Max Power wrote:I can’t see the poll anywhere but I’ll assume the Tobias Harris and Victor Oladipo trades made the list. The resigning of Fournier and signing Bizmack to a galactic sized contract are there too. All of which could earn the worst move status. Let’s just hope Weltman and Hammond don’t make the same level mistake handing Elfrid Payton a huge contract.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

What?! LOL No...resigning Fournier shouldn't make any list of bad moves. I didn't mind the Tobias tradeat first because I thought Hennigan would make smart moves with the available cap space. its what they did with that money that makes both the Tobias trade and Bismack signing bad moves.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
magicman112
Head Coach
And1: 1,888

Post#71 » by magicman112 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:38 pm

The Real Dalic wrote:

I thought it was an interesting deal but remember Dipo was not the Dipo he is today back then. And I thought if Ibaka can come in and be a consistent scoring option at the 4 then this could work. But he wasn't and it forced AG to play out of position which we found out he really couldn't do.
Audi
Analyst
And1: 2,783

Post#72 » by Audi » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:42 pm

OrlandoNed wrote:He gave up Oladipo for Ibaka because he didn't fit as well as Fournier next to Payton. The whole reason for doing that was to get Ibaka to make up for Vucevic's lack of shooting and defense, which lead to Gordon playing out of position at SF.

I keep hearing this as if it's fact, but there's really no foundation to it. I showed in another thread that the Payton/Oladipo duo was actually better offensively than the Payton/Fournier duo in +/-...by like +8! I really don't think 'fit' next to Payton had as much to do with it as people seem to think. What it came down to (and I have no idea why people keep failing to mention it) was that Dipo was looking to get paid and Fournier could be signed for less.

Second part is true though. Panic move by Henny to get some sort of defensive presence next to Vuc.
Abra Cadabra, Razzmatazz, Slam-Dunk Sesame, Hocus Pocus, Alacazam, Gonna set the spirit free
Keeping The Original Orlando Magic Theme Song Alive
fendilim
RealGM

Post#73 » by fendilim » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:53 pm

magicman112 wrote:
The Real Dalic wrote:

I thought it was an interesting deal but remember Dipo was not the Dipo he is today back then. And I thought if Ibaka can come in and be a consistent scoring option at the 4 then this could work. But he wasn't and it forced AG to play out of position which we found out he really couldn't do.

I wouldnt say he wasnt. Because he already was. He is just putting up more shot attempts.

Okc envisioned him in this role (primary scorer), as a 6th to a team of Durant-RW. But we all know how that ended up a few days later. Things changed quickly.
fendilim
RealGM

Post#74 » by fendilim » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:56 pm

How about the option of getting the heartbreak of not getting to draft KP for two straight years?
IllMagic04
Analyst
And1: 1,810

Post#75 » by IllMagic04 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:19 pm

Can anyone find the orriginal thread for the Oladipo trade? I remember everyone hating the trade but I could be wrong

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using RealGM mobile app
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#76 » by Skin » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:03 pm

fendilim wrote:
Skin wrote:
OrlandoNed wrote:Remember the ones on that "AG at SF" bandwagon? :roll: CoughSkinCough

The experience Gordon got at SF last year, is a big reason why he's a much better player this year. He learned what he needed to work on to get better and you can tell he worked his ass off this summer. In fact, he's better equip to play SF now and he may get more minutes there once Isaac cements himself in the starting line up. Gordon is too good to "just be a PF". Vogel can use Gordon's versatility to the team's advantage. Nice try though.

If he stayed at PF the way Skiles was using him, we'd be looking at a role player.

lol. he can't even blow by defenders coming off pick and rolls. He's playing at the right position. That sf thing is over.

I get the sarcasm, but that's not a great standing for ya. You're talking about him only on the offensive minded end too (and you're only thinking about him in last year's frame of mind). He's made huge improvements as a scorer and attacker. Plus, he's still a huge asset for us if we need him to defend SFs because of his lateral speed, size, & explosiveness. That sf thing is no where close to over. Especially with basketball becoming more and more position-less.

There are successful SFs that specialize in 3 and D (and not many can even do that). So I don't know why you would handicap us by not taking advantage of using Gordon in as many variety of ways that you can to create mismatches or counter what opponents are doing.

Let me ask you... if Isaac is playing PF, does that mean Gordon automatically sits on the bench?
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#77 » by Skin » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:04 pm

fendilim wrote:
Skin wrote:
OrlandoNed wrote:Remember the ones on that "AG at SF" bandwagon? :roll: CoughSkinCough

I get the sarcasm, but that's not a great standing for ya. You're talking about him only on the offensive minded end too (and you're only thinking about him in last year's frame of mind). He's made huge improvements as a scorer and attacker. Plus, he's still a huge asset for us if we need him to defend SFs because of his lateral speed, size, & explosiveness. That sf thing is no where close to over. Especially with basketball becoming more and more position-less.

There are successful SFs that specialize in 3 and D (and not many can even do that). So I don't know why you would handicap us by not taking advantage of using Gordon in as many variety of ways that you can to create mismatches or counter what opponents are doing.

Let me ask you... if Isaac is playing PF, does that mean Gordon automatically sits on the bench?
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,160

Post#78 » by OrlChamps2030 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:34 pm

fendilim wrote:How about the option of getting the heartbreak of not getting to draft KP for two straight years?

What about Hennigan wanting to draft Smart if he came out after his freshman year?

That would have been terrible
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,534

Post#79 » by Furinkazan » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:29 pm

IllMagic04 wrote:Can anyone find the orriginal thread for the Oladipo trade? I remember everyone hating the trade but I could be wrong

could only find these

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1445653&start=1240

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1456271&start=1220
IllMagic04
Analyst
And1: 1,810

Post#80 » by IllMagic04 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:58 pm

~Snoopy~ wrote:
IllMagic04 wrote:Can anyone find the orriginal thread for the Oladipo trade? I remember everyone hating the trade but I could be wrong

could only find these

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1445653&start=1240

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1456271&start=1220

I found this just now

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1457593&start=80#start_here

A lot of us were happy about the trade honestly. Heres what I said though. Its not always fun to be right. :(

IllMagic04 wrote:We are losers. This was a bad trade. I feel a little better about it now that some days have past but I still don't like it. Yes people have called us losers before but thats cause it was a trade of the unknown. Nobody really knew who Vuc was. Ditto for Harris. We know exactly who Ibaka is and I still hate the trade. Think about it. We traded a promising young talent because of the weakness of our center. Does that make sense? Cause that seems like Vuc is the problem. Not Dipo. Too much untapped potential that we are sending away. And for what? A regressing defensive player that can be an UFA next year? This does not get us in the playoffs.

Return to Orlando Magic