ImageImageImageImage

Trade ideas

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

ralphie9898
Analyst
And1: 390

Re: Trade ideas 

Post#241 » by ralphie9898 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:04 am

OrlandO wrote:
ralphie9898 wrote:
OrlandO wrote:Cavs didn't think they were trading for a mid to late lottery pick when they made that trade. It has lost value to them. Maybe by the end of the season or draft lottery it regains value, but as of now it's not what they had hoped for. Obviously if they can luck into trading the pick for a star they'd do it, but that's easier said than done and the deadline is fast approaching.

Cleveland has a major role player problem right now. Crowder and Smith are struggling starters while their bench is full of 36 year olds and players who have declined or can't be relied on for one reason or another. Fournier and Simmons are significant upgrades to that mess. We already know LeBron really likes Simmons and I'm pertty sure he'd rather play with Fournier than Smith/Shump combined at this point. When you've already got a superstar and a couple co-stars, sometimes all you need is to upgrade the 4th, 5th, 6th, etc options to make things click. I don't know if this trade would translate to the results they need to really compete in the finals and/or convince lebron to stick around another year, but it does improve those odds compared to holding onto the pick and using it on a rookie who will need to be developed.

Yeah the pick hasn't been what they have hoped for. But that doesn't mean it has less value. It is still a mid lottery pick(and with the lottery you never know where it could end up). This is a deep draft and a guy like Bamba or Porter or Sexton could fall there. And yes the deadline is fast approaching but that doesn't mean you just settle for any trade. The pick still holds its value and they can just keep it rather then trading it away for a deal that doesn't help them much if at all in keeping Lebron. They would have to trade it for a star in order to help sway Lebron from leaving. I hear what you guys are saying but I just don't think this helps them that much and that Fournier and Simmons give them that much more. Maybe a little but they still have to get through Boston and I doubt they beat Golden State. So I don't see them trading that pick for that. Plus it doesn't help their cap picture as they would be trading for longer contracts. I think this is just Magic fans wanting to get another lottery pick and are trying hard to get that. But you usually don't get high lottery picks unless you have a star(or a potential one) to trade. I don't think we want to trade Isaac or Gordon so I just don't think we have much if any chance of getting a high lottery pick. And the season isn't over and Brooklyn could still fall further down/. They can still wait and trade it after the season up until the draft and can even trade whoever they pick after the draft.

If it was so easy to get a star with a mid lottery pick we'd have a super team right now. There certainly is a difference in value right now between potential top 3 picks and 6-10 picks... deep draft doesn't mean picks 2 and 3 are valued the same as picks 6 and 7. It's now tied for 8th pick btw. Doesn't mean the Cavs can't hit the jackpot with it in a trade, but the pick losing some weight makes that harder. Of course they don't have to trade it, but they'd have to strongly consider it because they're currently still in their championship window and sitting on the pick doesn't improve their odds at all. JR Smith averages 30 mpg as a starter and has had 13 games of scoring 3 pts or less this season... he is not a good starter for them. Shumpert is a bum. I think Fournier/Simmons would give that team a bigger boost than you're thinking. If the contending Cavs prioritize upgrading their team and pleasing lebron more than drafting a player mid-lottery, which is certainly a possibility, then non-star trade packages like this have a chance. Whether such a trade actually produces for them and gets lebron to stay in town doesn't matter... there are no refunds.

And I don't think Cleveland has a current championship window. Sure they very well could make it to the Finals but I don't see them beating Golden State even with that trade. Role players are nice but when it comes to the Finals they simply can't match up with the Warriors.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#242 » by OrlandO » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:15 am

ralphie9898 wrote:
OrlandO wrote:
ralphie9898 wrote: Yeah the pick hasn't been what they have hoped for. But that doesn't mean it has less value. It is still a mid lottery pick(and with the lottery you never know where it could end up). This is a deep draft and a guy like Bamba or Porter or Sexton could fall there. And yes the deadline is fast approaching but that doesn't mean you just settle for any trade. The pick still holds its value and they can just keep it rather then trading it away for a deal that doesn't help them much if at all in keeping Lebron. They would have to trade it for a star in order to help sway Lebron from leaving. I hear what you guys are saying but I just don't think this helps them that much and that Fournier and Simmons give them that much more. Maybe a little but they still have to get through Boston and I doubt they beat Golden State. So I don't see them trading that pick for that. Plus it doesn't help their cap picture as they would be trading for longer contracts. I think this is just Magic fans wanting to get another lottery pick and are trying hard to get that. But you usually don't get high lottery picks unless you have a star(or a potential one) to trade. I don't think we want to trade Isaac or Gordon so I just don't think we have much if any chance of getting a high lottery pick. And the season isn't over and Brooklyn could still fall further down/. They can still wait and trade it after the season up until the draft and can even trade whoever they pick after the draft.

If it was so easy to get a star with a mid lottery pick we'd have a super team right now. There certainly is a difference in value right now between potential top 3 picks and 6-10 picks... deep draft doesn't mean picks 2 and 3 are valued the same as picks 6 and 7. It's now tied for 8th pick btw. Doesn't mean the Cavs can't hit the jackpot with it in a trade, but the pick losing some weight makes that harder. Of course they don't have to trade it, but they'd have to strongly consider it because they're currently still in their championship window and sitting on the pick doesn't improve their odds at all. JR Smith averages 30 mpg as a starter and has had 13 games of scoring 3 pts or less this season... he is not a good starter for them. Shumpert is a bum. I think Fournier/Simmons would give that team a bigger boost than you're thinking. If the contending Cavs prioritize upgrading their team and pleasing lebron more than drafting a player mid-lottery, which is certainly a possibility, then non-star trade packages like this have a chance. Whether such a trade actually produces for them and gets lebron to stay in town doesn't matter... there are no refunds.

How much of a boost has Simmons and Fournier given us? Not much. We have been worse since we added them. Yes there is a difference from the top three picks to those in the 4-10 area. But that doesn't mean they have that much less value. Right now they are at 7 which is still pretty good. Plus this is looking like a deeper draft. Also we don't know where the Brooklyn pick will land. It can still rise higher as many people thought Brooklyn would be the worst team in the league. Also you have the lottery. The 7th pick still has decent percentage of winning one of the top three picks. So even at the end of the year you don't truly know. But you can still find talent in the 4-10 range. Dennis Smith would be a lot better for them then the combo of Fournier and Simmons especially when you throw in the money involved.

Fournier doesn't have the luxury of playing on a contender alongside stars. Here he is asked to do too much and we're forced to play him to his weaknesses too much. Despite this he's been able to emerge as an efficient scorer every year. Right now Gordon's learning it's not so easy to be a first option on a bad team... does that mean he'd look this bad on the cavs? Look how much Simmons has dropped off after his promotion. Oladipo and Harris didn't win many games for us, but look at them now leading their teams to the playoffs. Go ask Cavs fans what they think of Jeff Green... you might be surprised. The Grizzlies have the 4th worst record... guess Marc Gasol wouldn't help the Cavs either, right? You can't box in every player just because they don't carry bad teams to wins.

Right now the BK pick is not 7... it's tied for 8 with the Bulls. The 4th pick is not a mid lotto pick either. Neither is the 5th pick. There's a reason you hear the phrase "top 5 pick" often. An 8th pick is not viewed the same as a top 3 pick or even a top 5 pick. You can draft a star late in the first round... that doesn't mean a 25th pick holds the same value as a lottery pick.

The Cavs have arguably the best player in the world and are title contenders this season... there is a lot to be gained from improving the team and trying to please the hometown star. Can't just ignore that and pretend they are losers with no stars.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#243 » by OrlandO » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:34 am

ralphie9898 wrote:
OrlandO wrote:
ralphie9898 wrote: Yeah the pick hasn't been what they have hoped for. But that doesn't mean it has less value. It is still a mid lottery pick(and with the lottery you never know where it could end up). This is a deep draft and a guy like Bamba or Porter or Sexton could fall there. And yes the deadline is fast approaching but that doesn't mean you just settle for any trade. The pick still holds its value and they can just keep it rather then trading it away for a deal that doesn't help them much if at all in keeping Lebron. They would have to trade it for a star in order to help sway Lebron from leaving. I hear what you guys are saying but I just don't think this helps them that much and that Fournier and Simmons give them that much more. Maybe a little but they still have to get through Boston and I doubt they beat Golden State. So I don't see them trading that pick for that. Plus it doesn't help their cap picture as they would be trading for longer contracts. I think this is just Magic fans wanting to get another lottery pick and are trying hard to get that. But you usually don't get high lottery picks unless you have a star(or a potential one) to trade. I don't think we want to trade Isaac or Gordon so I just don't think we have much if any chance of getting a high lottery pick. And the season isn't over and Brooklyn could still fall further down/. They can still wait and trade it after the season up until the draft and can even trade whoever they pick after the draft.

And I don't think Cleveland has a current championship window. Sure they very well could make it to the Finals but I don't see them beating Golden State even with that trade. Role players are nice but when it comes to the Finals they simply can't match up with the Warriors.

So let's recap... you think the 8th pick is basically the same as a 2nd pick... fournier/simmons basically suck like smith/shumpert who average 38% fg% and have a PER of 7... Cousins wouldn't help the Cavs much because the Cavs were losers his whole career (similarly M Gasol has been exposed as a bad player because he can't win w/o Conley)... having the rare opportunity to make a run at a championship is no big deal... and a contender with one of the best players in the league should just give up in January?
ralphie9898
Analyst
And1: 390

Post#244 » by ralphie9898 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:39 am

OrlandO wrote:
ralphie9898 wrote:
OrlandO wrote:If it was so easy to get a star with a mid lottery pick we'd have a super team right now. There certainly is a difference in value right now between potential top 3 picks and 6-10 picks... deep draft doesn't mean picks 2 and 3 are valued the same as picks 6 and 7. It's now tied for 8th pick btw. Doesn't mean the Cavs can't hit the jackpot with it in a trade, but the pick losing some weight makes that harder. Of course they don't have to trade it, but they'd have to strongly consider it because they're currently still in their championship window and sitting on the pick doesn't improve their odds at all. JR Smith averages 30 mpg as a starter and has had 13 games of scoring 3 pts or less this season... he is not a good starter for them. Shumpert is a bum. I think Fournier/Simmons would give that team a bigger boost than you're thinking. If the contending Cavs prioritize upgrading their team and pleasing lebron more than drafting a player mid-lottery, which is certainly a possibility, then non-star trade packages like this have a chance. Whether such a trade actually produces for them and gets lebron to stay in town doesn't matter... there are no refunds.

How much of a boost has Simmons and Fournier given us? Not much. We have been worse since we added them. Yes there is a difference from the top three picks to those in the 4-10 area. But that doesn't mean they have that much less value. Right now they are at 7 which is still pretty good. Plus this is looking like a deeper draft. Also we don't know where the Brooklyn pick will land. It can still rise higher as many people thought Brooklyn would be the worst team in the league. Also you have the lottery. The 7th pick still has decent percentage of winning one of the top three picks. So even at the end of the year you don't truly know. But you can still find talent in the 4-10 range. Dennis Smith would be a lot better for them then the combo of Fournier and Simmons especially when you throw in the money involved.

Fournier doesn't have the luxury of playing on a contender alongside stars. Here he is asked to do too much and we're forced to play him to his weaknesses too much. Despite this he's been able to emerge as an efficient scorer every year. Right now Gordon's learning it's not so easy to be a first option on a bad team... does that mean he'd look this bad on the cavs? Look how much Simmons has dropped off after his promotion. Oladipo and Harris didn't win many games for us, but look at them now leading their teams to the playoffs. Go ask Cavs fans what they think of Jeff Green... you might be surprised. The Grizzlies have the 4th worst record... guess Marc Gasol wouldn't help the Cavs either, right? You can't box in every player just because they don't carry bad teams to wins.

Right now the BK pick is not 7... it's tied for 8 with the Bulls. The 4th pick is not a mid lotto pick either. Neither is the 5th pick. There's a reason you hear the phrase "top 5 pick" often. An 8th pick is not viewed the same as a top 3 pick or even a top 5 pick. You can draft a star late in the first round... that doesn't mean a 25th pick holds the same value as a lottery pick.

The Cavs have arguably the best player in the world and are title contenders this season... there is a lot to be gained from improving the team and trying to please the hometown star. Can't just ignore that and pretend they are losers with no stars.

I didn't say the 7th or 8th pick is the same as a top 5 pick. It isn't but it is worth far more than the 25th pick. The 7th or 8th pick hold that value They hold the value of a pick in that range(aka not a top five pick nor do they hold the value of late lottery pick. And again as you have said we don't know where it will land. Even at the end of the year we won't know. It simply won't be nailed down till the lottery results are given and that adds some value to the discussion as there a chance it could land in the top three. Cleveland knows that all too well as they have won the lottery from the 9th slot if memory serves me right.Ask yourself why you want it so much and you will find why I say the Cavaliers aren't going to just give it up for role players. And this draft is about 7 deep(Doncic, Ayton, Young, Bagley, Porter, Sexton and Bamba) Some can be argued like Miles Bridges can even be added to that.

Oh and so Fournier and Simmons are asked to do too much here? So that means they can't be accounted to do to much. They don't help Cleveland that much. At most maybe a couple more wins but in the end they still lose to the Warriors. Sorry but you aren't getting another lottery pick for those two.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,095

Post#245 » by tiderulz » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:34 pm

ralphie9898 wrote:
Oh and so Fournier and Simmons are asked to do too much here? So that means they can't be accounted to do to much. They don't help Cleveland that much. At most maybe a couple more wins but in the end they still lose to the Warriors. Sorry but you aren't getting another lottery pick for those two.

no. but when you ask players to do more than they can, you shouldnt be disappointed when they dont do it or dont do it very well. That would be like asking Jameer to post up opposing PG's and getting mad because he cant abuse them in the post.

or asking AG to break down some of the better defenders with his dribble and being mad that he cant do it (yet?)
DjPuffnStuff
Sophomore
And1: 114

Post#246 » by DjPuffnStuff » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:44 pm

I think we could trade Vuc on draft day on net a pick around 14-20. One of those teams might value a solid/expiring player rather than having to wait a few years for promise/potential.
fklt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,643

Post#247 » by fklt » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:46 pm

I think one rarely talked aspect of trading for a lottery pick is; other than having another promising player for the next season; it also increases our chances for a top-3 pick in meaningful numbers combined with our pick.

I mean Brooklyn pick slotted at 8, gives additional 10% chance for a top-3 pick. it's not that good by itself but at our situation, we need every uptick we can get.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,830

Post#248 » by MagicMatic » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:53 pm

ORL -
Fournier
Speights
Our Second round pick

CLE -
Shumpert
Frye
Brooklyn’s 1st

We get Fryes expiring at 7m, to actually bottom out and rebuild, and a high draft pick.

Cleveland gets a lineup of
IT
Wade
Fournier
Lebron
Love

I still don’t think they do it, because the pick is insurance if Lebron leaves.
fklt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,643

Post#249 » by fklt » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:56 pm

MagicMatic wrote:ORL -
Fournier
Speights
Our Second round pick

CLE -
Shumpert
Frye
Brooklyn’s 1st

We get Fryes expiring at 7m, to actually bottom out and rebuild, and a high draft pick.

Cleveland gets a lineup of
IT
Wade
Fournier
Lebron
Love

I still don’t think they do it, because the pick is insurance if Lebron leaves.

I think they're gonna need much more than brooklyn's pick if Lebron leaves :lol: so why not trade it in an attempt to keep Lebron. I think this is a quite plausible trade in that sense.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#251 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:35 pm

MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,830

Post#252 » by MagicMatic » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:36 pm

Mauro Pedrosa
Analyst
And1: 4,387

Post#253 » by Mauro Pedrosa » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:37 pm

Exactly. I said Vuc is our cockroach in the speculation thread
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,100

Post#254 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:18 pm

Mauro Pedrosa wrote:

if not in Feb Vuc will most likely be traded draftnight... he'll be a solid expiring offensive C.
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
Mauro Pedrosa
Analyst
And1: 4,387

Post#255 » by Mauro Pedrosa » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:36 pm

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
Mauro Pedrosa wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:

Why not Vuc too?

if not in Feb Vuc will most likely be traded draftnight... he'll be a solid expiring offensive C.

hopefully
OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,940

Post#256 » by OrlandoDream » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:11 pm

Mauro Pedrosa wrote:

He is still our best player when healthy and we would suck alot more without him.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#257 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:12 pm

How about this tweek to the Cavs/Magic trade?

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y7xc8vdw + Brooklyn pick to Orlando

D Rose isn't coming back. Calderon not doing much in 16 mpg and is approaching 37. They get Payton to back up IT the rest of the season, and could resign him in case they lose IT.

We get $9 mill in expiring's from Frye and Calderon, plus Brooklyn pick.

IT/Payton
Smith/Wade
Fournier/Simmons/Korver
Lebron/Crowder
Love/Thompson
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,891

Post#258 » by drsd » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:57 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:How about this tweek to the Cavs/Magic trade?

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y7xc8vdw + Brooklyn pick to Orlando

D Rose isn't coming back. Calderon not doing much in 16 mpg and is approaching 37. They get Payton to back up IT the rest of the season, and could resign him in case they lose IT.

IT/Payton
Smith/Wade
Fournier/Simmons/Korver
Lebron/Crowder
Love/Thompson

Orlando becomes:
Augustin/Calderon/Mack
Afflalo/Shumpert/Iwundu
Ross/Hezonja/Osman
Gordon/Isaac/Frye/Speights
Vučević/Biyombo/Birch

Žižić to G-leauge.

Well: this is the worst roster Orlando has ever had, ever. Not only that, there is nothing to develop in the guard backcourt. Yes the team would hope for Young and maybe Bruce Brown late in the draft (he is not a starter).

The trade you proposed sets Orlando back another 2 years after this year.

Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#259 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:23 pm

drsd wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:How about this tweek to the Cavs/Magic trade?

IT/Payton
Smith/Wade
Fournier/Simmons/Korver
Lebron/Crowder
Love/Thompson

Orlando becomes:
Augustin/Calderon/Mack
Afflalo/Shumpert/Iwundu
Ross/Hezonja/Osman
Gordon/Isaac/Frye/Speights
Vučević/Biyombo/Birch

Žižić to G-leauge.

Well: this is the worst roster Orlando has ever had, ever. Not only that, there is nothing to develop in the guard backcourt. Yes the team would hope for Young and maybe Bruce Brown late in the draft (he is not a starter).

The trade you proposed sets Orlando back another 2 years after this year.

Not exactly. Yeah maybe for the rest of this season. Tank baby! Young with your top 3 pick. Jackson Jr/W Carter/McCoy with Brooklyn pick. Trade Vuc.

Young/Augustin
Ross/Hezonja
Isaac/Iwundu
AG/Zizic
*BRK pick/Biz
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,970

Post#260 » by p0peye » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:35 pm

Utah, Detroit (obviously) and San Antonio might be interested.

Favors/Exum/1st for Evan/Mario works.

Spurs could be interesting with a package of Parker/Lauvergne/future 1st (say 2020), but they never trade their picks.

Return to Orlando Magic