ImageImageImageImage

Jeff Weltman: decisions are coming

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Re: Jeff Weltman: decisions are coming 

Post#41 » by EasternMagic » Fri Jan 5, 2018 9:46 pm

PennytoShaq wrote:
darthcheech2000 wrote:I drank Hennigan's koolaid, not gonna happen again.

Weltman blames our record on injuries, in no uncertain terms, and thats cheap.

Eh, I think he is just defending Frank since he wants to keep him around for another season.

He knows the team is not that well built. That's what he is here to fix. Give Vogel a well-built team and then see how he does with it.

Yes, I think that quote is more directed towards throwing Vogel a bone, and rightfully so. While I agree with you in part, injuries should not shoulder the full blame of the failure of this team because this just isn't that good of a team, they have played a HUGE role in the narrative thus far. We have had a lot of injuries this season. It's not wholly why we are so god-awful, but it does play a role and a decent one at that.
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#42 » by EasternMagic » Fri Jan 5, 2018 9:49 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
TreasureCoast wrote:Do you want your girlfriend/wife or boss saying you are a "neat"guy? I sure don't, Elf is as good as gone!

I'd like to keep him to backup Trae Young. :wink: He's better than DJ and Mack.

It would be great to hold onto Elf as a backup, especially if Elf could eventually consent to be a backup guard, but some team, will probably double down and sign him to an offer sheet that he's not worth.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#43 » by Skin » Fri Jan 5, 2018 11:32 pm

Skybox wrote:
Skin wrote:
Weltman: The goal coming into this season was to understand what we have: how our players play together, who we felt were more dominant personalities, dominant players, where people were on their different curves because every guy is at a different point in his career and understand the journey of each one of our players and understand how that all fits together.

These are the words that mean the most to me.

I've been harping down on the bad chemistry issues on this team and this statement does 2 things for me.

1) It confirms it.

2) It gives me a big sigh of relief to know that we have a FO that understands the importance player dynamics means in terms of rebuilding.

We have good players. They just don't fit together and as painfully obvious as that is, sometimes you don't know if the FO gets it. This time they do! It's refreshing.

Scary thing is they could make decisions on it in a variety of ways. If they charge for the playoffs again, maybe they do what Henny did in trading Dipo for a vet like Ibaka and build around Vuc and Fournier. That could mean the end for Gordon here. Or that could mean the end of Vuc or Fournier here. Or it could mean any combination of things. But it's obvious "decisions are coming". The only safe player is Jonathan Isaac.

Yep. Good analysis...The Magic are actually pretty good on paper, they just suck on hardwood...Easy to dump that on the coach but the new FO guys inspire a lot of confidence in their ability to analyze the team and make moves, even if they hurt to look at at first. Sometimes, addition by subtraction really works. In the workplace, one crappy attitude/presence can drag down a whole group or department. That's why guys look great in a new environment and everybody slams the guy that traded him when it wouldn't have happened if he stayed. Or how about Denver trading their all-star" to NY for a bunch of pieces and then they go on a tear. In my company, I've been pleasantly surprised to see someone who I thought was mediocre really blossom when a "cloud" was removed from her workday. In Bball it goes even farther, beyond personality to skill set, etc...complementary players who "click" are so pivotal and sometimes subtle. I'm excited to see the fireworks.

Magic are 8-26 since Evan complained about Aaron's 41 point performance. Were 3-1 up to that game.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,017

Post#44 » by fendilim » Fri Jan 5, 2018 11:50 pm

Skin wrote:
Skybox wrote:
Skin wrote:These are the words that mean the most to me.

I've been harping down on the bad chemistry issues on this team and this statement does 2 things for me.

1) It confirms it.

2) It gives me a big sigh of relief to know that we have a FO that understands the importance player dynamics means in terms of rebuilding.

We have good players. They just don't fit together and as painfully obvious as that is, sometimes you don't know if the FO gets it. This time they do! It's refreshing.

Scary thing is they could make decisions on it in a variety of ways. If they charge for the playoffs again, maybe they do what Henny did in trading Dipo for a vet like Ibaka and build around Vuc and Fournier. That could mean the end for Gordon here. Or that could mean the end of Vuc or Fournier here. Or it could mean any combination of things. But it's obvious "decisions are coming". The only safe player is Jonathan Isaac.

Yep. Good analysis...The Magic are actually pretty good on paper, they just suck on hardwood...Easy to dump that on the coach but the new FO guys inspire a lot of confidence in their ability to analyze the team and make moves, even if they hurt to look at at first. Sometimes, addition by subtraction really works. In the workplace, one crappy attitude/presence can drag down a whole group or department. That's why guys look great in a new environment and everybody slams the guy that traded him when it wouldn't have happened if he stayed. Or how about Denver trading their all-star" to NY for a bunch of pieces and then they go on a tear. In my company, I've been pleasantly surprised to see someone who I thought was mediocre really blossom when a "cloud" was removed from her workday. In Bball it goes even farther, beyond personality to skill set, etc...complementary players who "click" are so pivotal and sometimes subtle. I'm excited to see the fireworks.

Magic are 8-26 since Evan complained about Aaron's 41 point performance. Were 3-1 up to that game.

LOL
nymets1
Head Coach
And1: 1,353

Post#45 » by nymets1 » Fri Jan 5, 2018 11:58 pm

Skin wrote:
Weltman: The goal coming into this season was to understand what we have: how our players play together, who we felt were more dominant personalities, dominant players, where people were on their different curves because every guy is at a different point in his career and understand the journey of each one of our players and understand how that all fits together.

These are the words that mean the most to me.

1) It confirms it.

I would think VUC is safe as long as he's still injured. I don't see any team taking a player that's out due to being injured. Unless we want to get rid of VUC so bad and a team agrees to give up a 2nd round pick. I like the thought of the Magic if they were able to get Trae Young.
"Bodysurfing and always drive with the windows down"

"UCF 2017 only undefeated national champions"
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,050

Post#46 » by MagicStarwipe » Sat Jan 6, 2018 12:22 am

He could have mentioned anybody's name but he said Elfrid's. How is that a negative? Maybe Elfrid is a "neat" kid. He shuts down press reporters trying to big up his stats after games and says he only cares about wins. When he's benched for DJ he's the main guy standing up and clapping when DJ makes a good play. He seems to do the most work in the community.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
fendilim
RealGM

Post#47 » by fendilim » Sat Jan 6, 2018 12:30 am

MagicStarwipe wrote:He could have mentioned anybody's name but he said Elfrid's. How is that a negative? Maybe Elfrid is a "neat" kid. He shuts down press reporters trying to big up his stats after games and says he only cares about wins. When he's benched for DJ he's the main guy standing up and clapping when DJ makes a good play. He seems to do the most work in the community.

Fwiw. The way i saw it was he was able to interview only Elf. Because the other players were projected unavailable in their draft range.
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,884

Post#48 » by JF5 » Sat Jan 6, 2018 8:08 am

He pretty much said a whole lot of nothing...

Until something actually happens. There is no reason to care...
OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,940

Post#49 » by OrlandoDream » Sat Jan 6, 2018 3:16 pm

I dont think that quote means EP is safe. I have him, Vuc, Evan, and BIz as the first to go.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,713

Post#50 » by basketballRob » Sat Jan 6, 2018 3:36 pm

Skybox wrote:Right now, Weltman and Hammond are far and away my favorite guys on the team. I have come to realize that I am a bigger fan of front office team-building than actual games (weird). Why else would I spend such an insane amount of time here, arguing with other knuckleheads who know nothing more than I do (said with love) and second-guessing professionals' every move.

My dream is Weltman wins executive of the year for 2018...more so than what any individual player could do at this point. HOPE!

Yeah maybe if Weltman pulls a Tonya Harding on a few of the other exec's he may have a chance to win.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#51 » by Blue_and_Whte » Sat Jan 6, 2018 4:44 pm

TreasureCoast wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:
TreasureCoast wrote:Do you want your girlfriend/wife or boss saying you are a "neat"guy? I sure don't, Elf is as good as gone!

I'd like to keep him to backup Trae Young. :wink: He's better than DJ and Mack.

Trae Young is highly risky with his size in the NBA, definitely an elite shooter though. Elfrid as a backup would be great but at what cost? And isn't a player/organization relationship runied after being a starter for a few years and then get thrown to the bench? I would think he would rather be a benchie for another team.

im not on the Young bus anymore. Ive stepped off. I agree that while he's putting up impressive stats, I worry about him being able to get to the spots on the floor, or get into position to do the things that have made him a great college player, in the NBA. In a nut shell his lack of athleticism and length scare me considering where we may pick.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
Flannerz
Pro Prospect
And1: 499

Post#52 » by Flannerz » Sat Jan 6, 2018 6:42 pm

fendilim wrote:
MagicStarwipe wrote:He could have mentioned anybody's name but he said Elfrid's. How is that a negative? Maybe Elfrid is a "neat" kid. He shuts down press reporters trying to big up his stats after games and says he only cares about wins. When he's benched for DJ he's the main guy standing up and clapping when DJ makes a good play. He seems to do the most work in the community.

Fwiw. The way i saw it was he was able to interview only Elf. Because the other players were projected unavailable in their draft range.

I also read it as an example of him knowing one of our players when he was with another team. I think that's all it means and don't think it means he's safe or unsafe.
OrlandoMagic
Lead Assistant
And1: 435

Post#53 » by OrlandoMagic » Sat Jan 6, 2018 8:52 pm

I’m already committed to another rebuild and realize we won’t be good again until I hit atleast 40yrs old
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#54 » by Blue_and_Whte » Sat Jan 6, 2018 11:09 pm

Skin wrote:
Skybox wrote:
Skin wrote:These are the words that mean the most to me.

1) It confirms it.

I missed that. Where did he complain about ags 41 point performance?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
shadrock
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,521

Post#55 » by shadrock » Sun Jan 7, 2018 12:48 am

They whole interview made me cringe tbh. I felt sick to my stomach when he started out saying the injuries were largely the reason we had been losing. Im really hope he doesnt actually believe this because if he does, well fk...
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod
And1: 1,073

Post#56 » by UCF » Sun Jan 7, 2018 3:10 am

This year of evaluation should tell them the entire thing needs to be blown up and start over again. Just depressing at how poorly managed this team has been in years past.
fendilim
RealGM

Post#57 » by fendilim » Sun Jan 7, 2018 3:24 am

Part of me believes weltman is hust waiting for the season to end and decide on Vogel

Wasnt it part of the agreement that he cant fire Vogel when he took the job?
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#58 » by Max Power » Sun Jan 7, 2018 3:24 am

Here’s my take on the interview. Weltman is evaluating the 2-3 guys worth keeping, and the rest he’ll be looking to move at the trade deadline and Draft Night. Obviously Gordon has proven himself a keeper, Vuc and Fournier have proven themselves valuable trade chips. The Magic will only have Gordon, Biyombo, Augustine, Simmons and Issac next for sure. The rest are completely speculative. I don’t think Payton gets retained, and I’m sure Mario is gone as well as the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
You look confused...let me fill you in.
fendilim
RealGM

Post#59 » by fendilim » Sun Jan 7, 2018 3:27 am

shadrock wrote:They whole interview made me cringe tbh. I felt sick to my stomach when he started out saying the injuries were largely the reason we had been losing. Im really hope he doesnt actually believe this because if he does, well fk...

If you expect him to say something politically incorrect, like saying we have bad players or whatever to bash the previous management, that would be bad PR. Its recorded interviews like this that you take with a grain of salt.

You’re not supposed to say anything negative about the team because it lessens the value of our players.
shadrock
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,521

Post#60 » by shadrock » Sun Jan 7, 2018 4:03 am

fendilim wrote:
shadrock wrote:They whole interview made me cringe tbh. I felt sick to my stomach when he started out saying the injuries were largely the reason we had been losing. Im really hope he doesnt actually believe this because if he does, well fk...

If you expect him to say something politically incorrect, like saying we have bad players or whatever to bash the previous management, that would be bad PR. Its recorded interviews like this that you take with a grain of salt.

You’re not supposed to say anything negative about the team because it lessens the value of our players.

He can be politically correct without making weak excuses though. Just say we have been bad and it doesnt sit well with anyone. Id be happy with that.

Return to Orlando Magic