ImageImageImageImage

Elf traded to Phoenix for second rounder

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,019

Re: Elf traded to Phoenix for second rounder 

Post#501 » by fendilim » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:51 pm

MagicMadness wrote:It isn't about only getting a 2nd round pick for Elfrid; it's about wasting a 1st round pick on him!

We spent a lottery pick and 4 years at the PG position on nothing. That's what aggravates me.

But with the Magic, lottery picks grow on trees! We've got another one coming in a few months. :roll:

Its always easy to say in retrospect. Im sure Henni some potential in elf. Just didnt expect him to plateau this way. No one knows. I dont blame him.

Theres a disconnect in philosophy now with henni’s vision and new management. So i dont want to blame because we lost a first or not. Would i have preferred to keep it? Sure. But we are beating a dead horse and cant do anything about it anymore.
Audi
Analyst
And1: 2,783

Post#502 » by Audi » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:45 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
MagicMadness wrote:It isn't about only getting a 2nd round pick for Elfrid; it's about wasting a 1st round pick on him!

We spent a lottery pick and 4 years at the PG position on nothing. That's what aggravates me.

But with the Magic, lottery picks grow on trees! We've got another one coming in a few months. :roll:

Should just kept Šarić . At least they could flip him for something more than second round pick.

The best reason we didn’t hold on to Saric wasn’t even Elfrid Payton - it was Fran Vasquez.

Also, Elf is still 23... y’all talkin like he’s Jared Dudley. Give him a few years to see what he becomes, most PGs don’t really hit their strides that early in this league.
Abra Cadabra, Razzmatazz, Slam-Dunk Sesame, Hocus Pocus, Alacazam, Gonna set the spirit free
Keeping The Original Orlando Magic Theme Song Alive
woosah
RealGM
And1: 5,275

Post#503 » by woosah » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:41 pm

Audi wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

Should just kept Šarić . At least they could flip him for something more than second round pick.

The best reason we didn’t hold on to Saric wasn’t even Elfrid Payton - it was Fran Vasquez.

Also, Elf is still 23... y’all talkin like he’s Jared Dudley. Give him a few years to see what he becomes, most PGs don’t really hit their strides that early in this league.

he's now 24 but yeah still cooking.
Woj is the new Bucher. Shams is the new Woj. Espn is the new TMZ. The NBA is the new WWE.
Boo.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,448

Post#504 » by Revived » Fri Mar 9, 2018 12:29 am

Hopefully Payton sees this

Read on Twitter
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,924

Post#505 » by drsd » Fri Mar 9, 2018 9:52 am

pepe1991 wrote:Best case for Payton, and probably only case where he will keep starting job is that Suns resign him and draft center.
If they take Young or Doncic he is gone or benched.
There is not a single upper tear team that needs starting PG but Spurs, and they probably have no interest in him.

Even lower tear teams don't really need starting PG.

I highly doubt he will get even DJ Augustin type of contract. Maybe 3 years $18M or something like that, at most.

There is indeed enormous depth at the PG slot this generation. Even the Magic's Augustin is not "horrible" as a starter.

Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#506 » by Blue_and_Whte » Fri Mar 9, 2018 12:46 pm

Revived wrote:Hopefully Payton sees this

Read on Twitter

His hair is in the way...

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,448

Post#507 » by Revived » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:33 pm

Read on Twitter
NBAchamps2017
Pro Prospect
And1: 336

Post#508 » by NBAchamps2017 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:50 am

I like the humour of WeHam!

Trade ‘The Awning’ to the ‘Suns’ :wink:

He will be useful there. - WeHam
OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,940

Post#509 » by OrlandoDream » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:28 am

Revived wrote:
Read on Twitter

I think the most surprising and disappointing aspect of Payton was that his rookie year was his best defensive year. We knew that offensively he would always be a liability but if he could develop into a defensive stud with elite playmaking ala Rondo, he would have still been here.

Unfortunate it went the complete opposite for him. His offensive slightly improved and defense got worse every year. There is no place in this days NBA for a player(especially a PG) that cant shoot or play a squat of defense. The fact that Payton is fighting for the last days of his NBA career and he isn't out there giving it his all or cutting that stupid hair, is all you need to know about him.
shadrock
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,521

Post#510 » by shadrock » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:57 am

OrlandoDream wrote:
Revived wrote:
Read on Twitter

I think the most surprising and disappointing aspect of Payton was that his rookie year was his best defensive year. We knew that offensively he would always be a liability but if he could develop into a defensive stud with elite playmaking ala Rondo, he would have still been here.

Unfortunate it went the complete opposite for him. His offensive slightly improved and defense got worse every year. There is no place in this days NBA for a player(especially a PG) that cant shoot or play a squat of defense. The fact that Payton is fighting for the last days of his NBA career and he isn't out there giving it his all or cutting that stupid hair, is all you need to know about him.

Yep, totally agree. I said this a few months ago, but i think Elfrid was given a golden opportunity to start here for the best part of four seasons and really just took it for granted and threw it back in our face a bit. The sad reality is he is likely now headed for 12 mpg as a backup at best, and i dont think he sees this coming. My guess is he will realise it all too late and regret not doing more while he had the chance. Needless to say im very disappointed in how things turned out.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,602

Post#511 » by BadMofoPimp » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:09 am

shadrock wrote:
OrlandoDream wrote:
Revived wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yep, totally agree. I said this a few months ago, but i think Elfrid was given a golden opportunity to start here for the best part of four seasons and really just took it for granted and threw it back in our face a bit. The sad reality is he is likely now headed for 12 mpg as a backup at best, and i dont think he sees this coming. My guess is he will realise it all too late and regret not doing more while he had the chance. Needless to say im very disappointed in how things turned out.

Then, he cuts his hair???

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
GameOver25
RealGM
And1: 5,719

Post#512 » by GameOver25 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:44 am

Hopefully he can figure it out this off-season. Lock himself in a gym, work on his shot all summer, and buy him some Wahl clippers and come back next year hungry and trimmed up.
OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,940

Post#513 » by OrlandoDream » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:03 am

BadMofoPimp wrote:
shadrock wrote:
OrlandoDream wrote:I think the most surprising and disappointing aspect of Payton was that his rookie year was his best defensive year. We knew that offensively he would always be a liability but if he could develop into a defensive stud with elite playmaking ala Rondo, he would have still been here.

It goes beyond that dead thing on his head. I think he has off court mental problems. Thre are games where he looked checked out like he doesn't want to play anymore. He should have been traded after his second season. It all went downhill after that. Waste of a 10th pick.
DjPuffnStuff
Sophomore
And1: 114

Post#514 » by DjPuffnStuff » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:16 am

Read on Twitter

I always thought Ben Wallace played better when he sported the fro.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,297

Post#515 » by pepe1991 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:08 am

DjPuffnStuff wrote:

Read on Twitter

I always thought Ben Wallace played better when he sported the fro.

he always had headban .He also had no jumpshot :lol:
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,110

Post#516 » by tiderulz » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:57 am

OrlandoDream wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:
shadrock wrote:

It goes beyond that dead thing on his head. I think he has off court mental problems. Thre are games where he looked checked out like he doesn't want to play anymore. He should have been traded after his second season. It all went downhill after that. Waste of a 10th pick.

not just the 10th pick. the pick and the extra 1st rounder to move 2 spots to get him
GameOver25
RealGM
And1: 5,719

Post#517 » by GameOver25 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:13 pm

tiderulz wrote:
OrlandoDream wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:

not just the 10th pick. the pick and the extra 1st rounder to move 2 spots to get him

PennytoShaq
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 5,218

Post#518 » by PennytoShaq » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:57 pm

Elf issue to me is complacency, and just not being strong mentally. One example that always stuck out to me was the rookie skills challenge. Meaningless, yes. But he just mailed it in big time. Put zero effort in. It looked like nothing at the time, but when I look back on it now, it looks more like a legit red flag of his effort. He just did not bring it every night. Plain and simple. I think the pressure would get to him and he would mail it in and coast instead of taking it up a notch.

Another example I remember was when he blew a game winning layup last year. He has an easy look and just choked on it.

small % that he could pull off an Oladipo and turn it around. He has the body and athleticism to be a legit PG in the league. But I don't think it will happen, and the Magic did not need to be on the hook any longer to gamble on that coming to fruition.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,019

Post#519 » by fendilim » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:40 pm

PennytoShaq wrote:Elf issue to me is complacency, and just not being strong mentally. One example that always stuck out to me was the rookie skills challenge. Meaningless, yes. But he just mailed it in big time. Put zero effort in. It looked like nothing at the time, but when I look back on it now, it looks more like a legit red flag of his effort. He just did not bring it every night. Plain and simple. I think the pressure would get to him and he would mail it in and coast instead of taking it up a notch.

Another example I remember was when he blew a game winning layup last year. He has an easy look and just choked on it.

small % that he could pull off an Oladipo and turn it around. He has the body and athleticism to be a legit PG in the league. But I don't think it will happen, and the Magic did not need to be on the hook any longer to gamble on that coming to fruition.

The problem has always been his complacency. That's why Skiles and Vogel benched him to get him fired up. And still...
PennytoShaq
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 5,218

Post#520 » by PennytoShaq » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:48 pm

fendilim wrote:
PennytoShaq wrote:Elf issue to me is complacency, and just not being strong mentally. One example that always stuck out to me was the rookie skills challenge. Meaningless, yes. But he just mailed it in big time. Put zero effort in. It looked like nothing at the time, but when I look back on it now, it looks more like a legit red flag of his effort. He just did not bring it every night. Plain and simple. I think the pressure would get to him and he would mail it in and coast instead of taking it up a notch.

The problem has always been his complacency. That's why Skiles and Vogel benched him to get him fired up. And still...

Yep. It's a shame really.

Return to Orlando Magic