ImageImageImageImage

Who will be our next starting point guard?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Re: Who will be our next starting point guard? 

Post#101 » by MoMM » Thu Mar 1, 2018 11:10 am

Perhaps we can sign and trade for Elfrid Payton?
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#102 » by Nemesis21 » Thu Mar 1, 2018 12:03 pm

Xatticus wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:

What about that WVU PG you were talking about earlier? I read up on him. I'd take him.

I like him. He is a grinder. I'd question his upside due to his age, size, and low FTr, but I liked him last year and he has improved quite a bit from where he was a year ago.

He declared for the draft last year, but the interest was low so he went back to school for his senior season. He was a really poor shooter in his first couple seasons before improving a lot in his junior season. He has backed that up this year on a higher volume and his free throw rate has spiked this year as well. He has really improved as a ball handler and facilitator this season as well. He is a really aggressive defender that racks up a bunch of steals, but WVU presses a lot.

The NCAA is where veteran guards shine and Carter has to be among the best veteran guards in the country this year. WVU got bounced out in the sweet 16 last year and Carter had a pretty dreadful sequence at the end of the game against Gonzaga that I'm sure he hasn't forgotten:

I expect WVU to make a run this year and Carter might be this year's Sindarius Thornwell.

He is listed at 6'2", but he doesn't look that big to me. His HC (Bob Huggins) raves about his work rate. That's a cliche in sports, but I actually believe it with regards to Carter. He has just improved so much. I certainly wouldn't bet against him having a long NBA career and I think he'd be great for our locker room as a third PG fighting for a bigger role. I'd be happy if we picked him up somewhere in the second round this year.

Yeah I'd be happy with him if we get Doncic/Porter, if we are looking for a scrappy good defender at PG. The last two seasons he's averaged just under 3 steals per game.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,973

Post#103 » by MagicMatic » Thu Mar 1, 2018 3:41 pm

Maybe we should draft Dennis Smith Jr.

Y’know in case Elfrid doesn’t work out and we decide not resign him in a contract year... oh.. wait..
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#104 » by Skin » Thu Mar 1, 2018 5:12 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
Skin wrote:
~Snoopy~ wrote:yeah thats the only logical conclusion but what if they arent able to get him...
thats what this thread is about ...potential alternatives...

There is no alternative. If we miss out on him, we're screwed at the PG position.

If we’re in the top 6 there are many alternatives... 6 better ones in fact.

:roll:
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,501

Post#105 » by MagicFan101 » Thu Mar 1, 2018 5:42 pm

Skin wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
Skin wrote:There is no alternative. If we miss out on him, we're screwed at the PG position.

I don’t care about position. I care about talent. Indeed, there will be better options than Trae Young if we are in the top 6.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,925

Post#106 » by drsd » Thu Mar 1, 2018 6:14 pm

If the Magic draft Young, this might be a great idea for next year:

Rose has interest in an opportunity that could be a longer term fit.

RealGM LINK

Rose running the point next year and next allows him to transition Young to the team the same way Steve Francis broke Jameer Nelson to the league. For me this is a no-brainer !

What if Orlando wins next year by accident? Then Rose' resurrected performance moves him towards being Hall of Fame eligible. That must grind on him as he is on pace to being the first ever NBA-MVP not in the basketball Hall of Fame.

Of course Augustin and Mack both must be moved. But a PG core of Rose/Young/Caupain has merit !!!!

Skin
RealGM

Post#107 » by Skin » Thu Mar 1, 2018 6:25 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
Skin wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:

I don’t care about position. I care about talent. Indeed, there will be better options than Trae Young if we are in the top 6.

OK, but...

There is no alternative. If we miss out on him, we're screwed at the PG position.
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
OrlandoNed
Head Coach
And1: 4,776

Post#108 » by OrlandoNed » Thu Mar 1, 2018 6:43 pm

Skin wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
Skin wrote: :roll:

OK, but...

We're going to be bad next year with or with out Trae. So what does it matter if we land him or not? Riding out DJ as a starter again for his 3rd year while we continue the rebuild isn't the worst thing in the world. We can have a prospect to develop behind him with one of our 2nd round picks or sign a young player like VanVleet.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#109 » by Nemesis21 » Thu Mar 1, 2018 6:44 pm

drsd wrote:If the Magic draft Young, this might be a great idea for next year:

Rose has interest in an opportunity that could be a longer term fit.

RealGM LINK

Rose running the point next year and next allows him to transition Young to the team the same way Steve Francis broke Jameer Nelson to the league. For me this is a no-brainer !

What if Orlando wins next year by accident? Then Rose' resurrected performance moves him towards being Hall of Fame eligible. That must grind on him as he is on pace to being the first ever NBA-MVP not in the basketball Hall of Fame.

Of course Augustin and Mack both must be moved. But a PG core of Rose/Young/Caupain has merit !!!!

MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#110 » by MagicFan101 » Thu Mar 1, 2018 7:10 pm

Skin wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
Skin wrote: :roll:

OK, but...

This draft pick defines the final piece of what the Orlando Magic will be for all eternity!?
Skin
RealGM

Post#111 » by Skin » Thu Mar 1, 2018 7:22 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
Skin wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:

OK, but...

This draft pick defines the final piece of what the Orlando Magic will be for all eternity!?

:lol:

Q: Who will be our next starting point guard (if we don't get Young - See OP)?

A: There is no alternative. If we miss out on him, we're screwed at the PG position.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,925

Post#112 » by drsd » Thu Mar 1, 2018 7:33 pm

Skin wrote:A: There is no alternative. If we miss out on him, we're screwed at the PG position.

My dream is that Orlando drafts Dončić and trades any package of Fournier/Ross/Augustin/Iwundu/Mack for a late lottery pick and selects Gilgeous-Alexander.

Gilgeous-Alexander/Dončić/Isaac/Gordon/Vučević is for me an exciting starting five in the 2019/20 season.
[Gilgeous-Alexander's job will be to i) pass the ball and ii) play defense].

MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#113 » by MagicFan101 » Thu Mar 1, 2018 7:43 pm

Skin wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
Skin wrote:OK, but...

A: There is no alternative. If we miss out on him, we're screwed at the PG position.

We’re “screwed” next season no matter who we draft...

Isaac is the only player on this roster guaranteed to be with us beyond next season. AG is extenely likely to be resigned but we still have to see. Everyone else is here on a temporary basis.

With that FACT now understood, we need a lot... not just a PG.

Whoever we draft will be helpful but we will still be “screwed” in multiple spots.
Maikson
Sophomore
And1: 158

Post#114 » by Maikson » Thu Mar 1, 2018 8:20 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
Skin wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:

I agree with that, talent in first place, sort out the PG position later. Even if we draft the 2018/19 rookie of the year winner it's likely that we miss the playoffs, that's why I think the PG matter isn't urgent. As our roster and cap situation kinda sucks, wouldn't be bad to draft a great talent and miss the playoffs again, trying to land a decent pick again to then start thinking abount playoffs as a contender, with Isaac and the 2018 1st being more experienced. Assuming that we land a home run in the draft :pray:
Studying English, please correct my mistakes if possible :)
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#115 » by Max Power » Thu Mar 1, 2018 8:31 pm

I agree that this roster is very much in flux. I in fact see a major overhaul in the roster starting with the draft. I personally don’t have a real inkling of who’s best, but if we get number 1, at least we can be objective about Gordon a little bit, although I think we resign him. He’s a good young emerging talent.

As for point guard, this seems like a weak crop. Trae Young just looks like 2018’s Jonathan Issac, a rookie who’s got to get some meat on his bones or he’ll be injured a week into the season. The gawdy numbers he put up in college early I don’t think are indicative of the player he’ll be in the pro’s. I’d try to pry a young veteran from somewhere. Terry Rozier, I’d be ok with Isaiah Thomas, this team needs a star quality guy with Gordon. I have a bad feeling Augustine may be the guy though, especially if lottery land is the plan next summer also.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
You look confused...let me fill you in.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#116 » by MagicMatic » Thu Mar 1, 2018 8:33 pm

Skin wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
Skin wrote:OK, but...

While I’m one of the few people on this board that think “fit” matters in the big picture of draft picks and their success, I also don’t think Young is the best candidate for a starting caliber point guard as a rookie.

He has a lot of growth and development to go through IMO before being handed the keys. He’s going to struggle early.

Orlando isn’t making the playoffs next year, so picking a wing (Porter, Doncic) or a versatile big (JJJ, Bagley in hopes that we make a trade) isn’t bad either.

I’m not saying to keep the trash guard rotation we currently have, but someone can fill in.
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#117 » by MagicFan101 » Thu Mar 1, 2018 8:41 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
Skin wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:

While I’m one of the few people on this board that think “fit” matters in the big picture of draft picks and their success, I also don’t think Young is the best candidate for a starting caliber point guard as a rookie.

He has a lot of growth and development to go through IMO before being handed the keys. He’s going to struggle early.

Orlando isn’t making the playoffs next year, so picking a wing (Porter, Doncic) or a versatile big (JJJ, Bagley in hopes that we make a trade) isn’t bad either.

You have to keep perspective. Of course fit does matter in the draft... for certain teams. Teams established in the top half of the league have their roster more or less set up for the next few years. They need rotation players to fit around their playoff roster.

We stilll need someone to build around. Until we have that, there is no shape to fit to... fit is completely meaningless to a temporary roster like ours.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#118 » by MagicMatic » Thu Mar 1, 2018 8:44 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
Skin wrote: :lol:

You have to keep perspective. Of course fit does matter in the draft... for certain teams. Teams established in the top half of the league have their roster more or less set up for the next few years. They need rotation players to fit around their playoff roster.

We stilll need someone to build around. Until we have that, there is no shape to fit to... fit is completely meaningless to a temporary roster like ours.

I halfway agree. Orlando doesn’t need to worry as much about fit. However, if a player highly regarded purely on potential is without an “nba ready” physicality, defensive questions, or other intangibles it could be a bad situation.
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#119 » by MagicFan101 » Thu Mar 1, 2018 8:52 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

I halfway agree. Orlando doesn’t need to worry as much about fit. However, if a player highly regarded purely on potential without an “nba ready” physicality or other intangibles it could be a bad situation.

We currently sit at #1. You have to keep some perspective as regards to that as well. This limits the pool of targets greatly.

We are really only speaking of:

Ayton, Doncic, Bagley, Porter, JJjr, Bamba and Young

The balance of potential vs. readiness varies among this group but I would argue each as some well defined NBA talent.

... I fully expect at least two disappointments from this list but I don’t see an Anthony Bennett or Darko level disaster. Porter may become a Greg Oden due to injury but that is a different kind of bust.
Skin
RealGM

Post#120 » by Skin » Thu Mar 1, 2018 9:05 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
Skin wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:

We’re “screwed” next season no matter who we draft...

Isaac is the only player on this roster guaranteed to be with us beyond next season. AG is extenely likely to be resigned but we still have to see. Everyone else is here on a temporary basis.

With that FACT now understood, we need a lot... not just a PG.

Whoever we draft will be helpful but we will still be “screwed” in multiple spots.

OK, but now you're talking about something else. If that's where you want to take the conversation (BPA vs Need) then, I can go there, but I still stand by what I said about the lack of options at the PG position.

This draft desperately needed the emergence of Young. The PG options are horrible. Is Young perfect? No, but he definitely presents a high upside and a high floor. But that's not what you want to talk about either.

I'm honestly not that impressed with this draft as a whole. Ayton would be great for us if we win the lottery. I'm not sold on Doncic yet. I could be sold if he plays PG though. I just see limitations in his athleticism as a 2 guard. The upside simply isn't as high for him at that position. The rest of the bigs are bunched up together and are natural PFs. Unless we trade Gordon, I don't really see the right fit next to him. Bamba is the exception. So I like him, but I don't really consider him an elite prospect.

You don't care about fit. You care about draft grades. I think GMs mess up all the time getting caught up in draft grades. I think it's a cop out by them as well. It's much easier to take the higher rated guy by the masses and if he busts, then there is some saving grace because you took him where people thought you should. It's much harder to piece together a team of players who's skills and personalities mesh well to build a successful model.

What good is collecting a bunch of assets if in doing so, you mismanage resources? Henny fell into this trap. He collected a bunch of players at the same positions and it didn't work. They didn't mesh well and when he tried to trade them, he got pennies on the dollar... then with the holes at other positions he overspent. I'm not in favor of letting history repeat itself here. Especially based on the talent of this draft and the way FA continues to baffle. This isn't the Lebron, Bosh, Wade, Melo kind of draft...

Let's say we get JJJ or Bagley and realize they are not 5s or Porter and he's not a 3. So we shop Gordon... are you really convinced that the trade return will equate his value? I'm not. In trading Gordon we also lose out on 4-5 years spent developing him. How long are we going to churn our wheels struggling to develop players at the same positions and overspending to fill the gaps in FA before we figure out that there is a better process?

WeHam have combined their powers to form a unique GM situation here. They should be operating at a higher level of expertise than the average GM. They should be able to analyze a draft class and look beyond raw draft grades and not feel pressure to succumb to outside criticism... They should be smart enough to figure out which player is the best player "for US" and start to put together a group of players that can be a cohesive unit that can work in harmony instead of trying to be a machine spinning it's wheels.

Team chemistry and fit can easily trump talent. The Spurs do this year after year. Kawhi out all year and they still win and it's not "just coaching". They have players that know their roles and know how they fit. They know where their strengths can pick up others and they know where others can pick up their weaknesses. They have a team goal and not an individual goal. Right now, we are ALL about individuals and that is our biggest problem that we have to root out. If we keep adding to that kind of culture, things will never change.

But oh... at least you can say you got the best player according to Chad Ford's rankings that year. smh

Return to Orlando Magic