ImageImageImageImage

Replacement thread for Head Coach: updated poll

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Whom do you want as head coach?

Monty Williams
2%
Jerry Stackhouse
38%
Nick Nurse
24%
David Fizdale
13%
Steve Clifford - if fired
2%
Becky Hammon
7%
Other
12%

Total votes: 82

Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Jerry Stackhouse rumored to replace Frank Vogel 

Post#81 » by Blue_and_Whte » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:56 pm

OrlandO wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:It’s not the coach, it’s the lack of the talent.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

It's both.

We’ve been through 4 coaching changes with this same group and the most current success we’ve had is our early season fluke. Like I said when everyone wanted Skiles fired... if we keep this same group we’ll be calling for the next coach to be fired within 3 years.
Of course blame falls everywhere and i wouldn’t feel any specific way if he were fired but you’d think someone killed their damn kitten the way people react to a player over 24 taking a shot. “But how will we know what we have if Isaac doesn’t play 48 minutes and take every shot”...
EDIT: Actually that has nothing to do with anything. It was just me venting.

I’m on board with keeping him and hopefully adding talent but we’ll see.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Re: Jerry Stackhouse rumored to replace Frank Vogel 

Post#82 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:09 pm

Two college coaches who's names I will throw out there, Eric Mussleman(former Magic assistant) at Nevada and Chris Mack at Xavier.
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#83 » by EasternMagic » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:00 am

Midway through the season, I heard a lot of buzz around Stackhouse's name. Supposedly, he's done a bang-up job coaching in the G League. I wouldn't be against this kind of hire. I think I have a little skepticism because of how Vaughn turned out and how guys like Kidd and Derrick Fisher turned out. But at least Stack is getting actual head coaching experience, even if it is in the G-League
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#84 » by OrlandO » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:38 am

Weltman declined to comment on Josh Robbins' recent article on vogel potentially being on the hot seat. A couple months ago he was quick to say vogel's job was safe and now he's silent. Is this anything?
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,013

Post#85 » by KillMonger » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:43 am

I remember when skiles left, I wanted d'antoni or messina to replace him. Frank at the time was a pleasant surprise, present day? I could take him or leave him.

Sent from my FS8010 using RealGM mobile app
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,918

Post#86 » by drsd » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:04 am

Vogel looks broken. I am not sure management can believe he will find the emotional energy to coach the coming rosters.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,296

Post#87 » by pepe1991 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:55 am

drsd wrote:Vogel looks broken. I am not sure management can believe he will find the emotional energy to coach the coming rosters.

offseason and months without doing anything helps
oh, and millions to spend ;)
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
drsd
RealGM

Post#88 » by drsd » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:57 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
drsd wrote:Vogel looks broken. I am not sure management can believe he will find the emotional energy to coach the coming rosters.

The O-Sen is running a story today stating "Vogel isn't a Hammond guy."

hmm

Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#89 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:57 pm

drsd wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

The O-Sen is running a story today stating "Vogel isn't a Hammond guy."

hmm

Again why do you even bother with the worst newspaper in America??
PennytoShaq
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 5,218

Post#90 » by PennytoShaq » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:04 pm

Josh Robbins is a good beat reporter though. He is a good writer, imo.

Yes it something that Weltman won't endorse Vogel. And he probably should not. Look at the offense that TOR is running now. They were demanding that type of change last year and it is now implemented. It's impossible to think that Weltman can work with a guy like Stackhouse, watch him implement modern X and O, and develop young G league guys that Weltman found and not want that type of guy on his team.

Vogel just has not used his players well. It makes it tough to see what a guy like AG is worth when you don't play him to his strengths.
RaptorsLife
RealGM
And1: 84,016

Post#91 » by RaptorsLife » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:15 pm

HI raptors fan here.

Stackhouse is fantastic as raptors 905 coach. last year won champion. this year number 1 in East again

he coaches the exact opposite of how he played. Ball movement and defense heavy emphasis. Last year I enjoyed watching raptors 905 more than the raptors lol.

with weltman there makes complete sense. Stackhouse holds players accountable. Thought he was gonna wait for UNC job but this makes sense too
Raptors til death
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#92 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:42 pm

RaptorsLife wrote:HI raptors fan here.

Stackhouse is fantastic as raptors 905 coach. last year won champion. this year number 1 in East again

he coaches the exact opposite of how he played. Ball movement and defense heavy emphasis. Last year I enjoyed watching raptors 905 more than the raptors lol.

with weltman there makes complete sense. Stackhouse holds players accountable. Thought he was gonna wait for UNC job but this makes sense too

Coach Roy is only 67, if his health stays good, I don't see him leaving UNC in the next few years.
magicman112
Head Coach
And1: 1,888

Post#93 » by magicman112 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:53 pm

PennytoShaq wrote:Josh Robbins is a good beat reporter though. He is a good writer, imo.

Yes it something that Weltman won't endorse Vogel. And he probably should not. Look at the offense that TOR is running now. They were demanding that type of change last year and it is now implemented. It's impossible to think that Weltman can work with a guy like Stackhouse, watch him implement modern X and O, and develop young G league guys that Weltman found and not want that type of guy on his team.

Vogel just has not used his players well. It makes it tough to see what a guy like AG is worth when you don't play him to his strengths.

I wasn't for Vogel going initially because this roster is such a mess even a coach like Pop would have issues with it. But as this season has worn on I think for the sake of starting fresh he's got to go.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#94 » by OrlandO » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:23 pm

Marc Stein on Vogel's hot seat...

Orlando

Frank Vogel was only one year into a four-year contract when the Magic hired an all-new tandem to run basketball operations in Jeff Weltman and John Hammond. That contract ensured Vogel would be brought back for this season, but Orlando’s ongoing malaise, especially after the promise of an unexpected 8-4 start, make it a widely held assumption in coaching circles that Vogel will be dismissed after the franchise’s sixth successive season out of the playoffs.

Vogel is by no means responsible for Orlando’s unbalanced roster or its numerous injuries this season. But hiring his own coach is one of the next logical steps for Weltman — especially when the fourth year on Vogel’s deal is a team option that essentially makes it a three-year deal.

The names of three Toronto-based coaches, in a nod to Weltman's ties to the Raptors and Toronto's rise to the top of the Eastern Conference, are already being mentioned in connection with this job: Nick Nurse and Rex Kalamian from Dwane Casey's staff with the Raptors and the former All-Star guard Jerry Stackhouse, who is in his second season as head coach of Toronto's N.B.A. G-League franchise.

I didn't know Vogel's 4th year is a team option... I think that significantly increases the chance of him being fired this summer.
drsd
RealGM

Post#95 » by drsd » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:27 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:Coach Roy is only 67, if his health stays good, I don't see him leaving UNC in the next few years.

I am two bills younger and feel broken (physically) most days.

The NBA of today is emotionally damaging. Look at all the coaches injury reports. Leading an NBA team is a young-man's job these days.
dalton749
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,433

Post#96 » by dalton749 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:11 am

Need consistency up top before the team ever figures it out so I wouldn’t be surprised to see weltman bring in a Toronto guy who needs an opportunity. I doubt Vogel is enjoy his time in Orlando.

I wouldn’t be surprised if nick nurse were considered instead though
FFBlitzace
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,777

Post#97 » by FFBlitzace » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:23 am

"Assistant coach on a top team" has always been one of the lazier categories of coaching candidates. And how often does it work? Almost never. I hope we don't just grab a Toronto assistant for that reason, in addition to Weltman's ties there. Chad Forcier is an assistant on a garbage team and I think he's the more intriguing coaching candidate.
11/18/2017 - I have officially disowned Nikola Vucevic and branded him a loser.

- Skal Labissiere was my guy in 2016 pre-trade. Whoops, but I still believe.
- Malik Monk was my guy in 2017. Whoops(?)
- Mo Bamba was my guy in 2018. TBD.
drsd
RealGM

Post#98 » by drsd » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:38 am

dalton749 wrote:I doubt Vogel is enjoy his time in Orlando.

Remember when he looked like this?

Now it is this:

darthmerrick
Starter
And1: 329

Post#99 » by darthmerrick » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:07 pm

I don't think ownership is going to sign off on Jerry. They'll want a proven coach or a name their more familiar with
James Borrego, Adrian Griffin.

I speculate we'd get one of the re-tred coaches: Monty Williams, Dave Fizdale, George Karl, David Blatt, Mike Brown.

or could they bring back DOC Rivers!!!
dalton749
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,433

Post#100 » by dalton749 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:30 pm

drsd wrote:
dalton749 wrote:I doubt Vogel is enjoy his time in Orlando.

Remember when he looked like this?

Now it is this:

Lmao. Every time we play you guys I think, ‘man he’s let himself go’. :lol:

Return to Orlando Magic