ImageImageImageImage

Gamethread: Magic @ Spurs 03/13

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

NickAnderson
General Manager
And1: 2,922

Re: Gamethread: Magic @ Spurs 03/13 

Post#101 » by NickAnderson » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:45 am

This board is hilarious

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,554

Post#102 » by SOUL » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:55 am

NickAnderson wrote:This board is hilarious

Nah, the team is.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,288

Post#103 » by pepe1991 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:42 am

SOUL wrote:

Nah, the team is.

lol this
it's amazing for all the wrong reasons to see a team that somehow gets worst after being awful for full 5 years.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,050

Post#104 » by MagicStarwipe » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:22 pm

It's not really complaining. it's just therapeutic to rag on the team in times like this.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
ChosenSavior
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 12,740

Post#105 » by ChosenSavior » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:23 pm

SOUL wrote:

Nah, the team is.

Short and to the point. I agree.
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,551

Post#106 » by Bergmaniac » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:44 pm

Apparently my decision weeks ago to stop watching the Magic till the end of season was a smart one.
Jiwol
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,296

Post#107 » by Jiwol » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:15 pm

Bergmaniac wrote:Apparently my decision weeks ago to stop watching the Magic till the end of season was a smart one.

I've just cancelled my League Pass after not watching a single game for like two months. And to think 9 years ago I cried tears of joy after we beat the Cavs in eastern finals...
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,648

Post#108 » by Howard Mass » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:03 pm

GameOver25 wrote:
Howard Mass wrote:The Magic were ready for their long road trip to end. Best way to describe tonight.

I'd take it a step further and say they're ready for the season to end. Only Vogel seems to care about winning.

This does happen at the end of a long road trip.

It will be interesting to see how they come out tonight but many people including some on this Forum are ready for this final month to breeze by.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,150

Post#109 » by Optimus_Steel » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:30 pm

OrlChamps2030 wrote:Just checked the box score for this game, wow that might be the ugliest I’ve ever seen, props to the masochists out there who willingly spent their free time watching this game in its entirety

Had the game on in the background but was not watching. The little parts I paid attention to looked terrible, as usual.
aka: prorl
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,150

Post#110 » by Optimus_Steel » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:33 pm

BTW, SA only scored 12pts in the 4th quarter, still lost by 36 hahahaha
aka: prorl
PennytoShaq
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 5,218

Post#111 » by PennytoShaq » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:41 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
Ducklett wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:I actually thought we can compete with worst Spurs roster in 20 years... but naaah.

Vuc and Simmons are unwatchable as guys who run offense.

Isaac is mixed bag. Good,at times great defense, pretty usless offense. In 8 games since return he took 0 FT, 15 threes (made 5 ), and is 11-34 from the floor ( 32%). 3 assists , 5 TO, 9 blocks ,12 steals, 14 fouls. He ain't SF that's for sure.

His complete inability to contribute in any way on offense ( for whatever reason,coaching, his own limitation or something else ) in his rookie season makes it easier to make final decision that team has to keep Gordon.

This is officially rock bottom for Orlando Magic.

I didn't expect yall to turn on Isaac this year. Cool though, prediction nailed.

It's not "turnin heel " on him, after 22 games his career high are: 11 points and 4 assists and 10 FGA . In 16 games of 22 games he went to FT line zero times. It's clear that his offense has ways to go.

I didn't and i still don't expect him to be 18 ppg player in rookie year, but i did expect more polished offensive player than this. I think everybody did, just won't admit now.

I mean, sure ,he'll get better and everything but i hoped that he will be good enough where Magic could afford to have leverage in negotiations with Gordon about his contract. If he broke out as great they could tell Gordon "see, we have guy who can replace you but we are willing to give you xy money -but not max". Now Gordon can come and say "pay me, you can't replace me anyway".

I think most of us said he would be raw. Most didn't expect him to get hurt and miss half the season. If he played a full season, I think some of the lack of confidence on the dribble would be smaller. But he barely gets the ball still. Toughest part for some transitioning up a level in hoops is tightening the handle. When it happened to me at the AAU level I went from being able to cross up guys and blow by them to having to bring the ball up the court with my butt to the defender if they pressed. So I can kinda relate to that just a little.

Also don't think the Magic were going to leverage Isaac against AG in talks. I don't really think that makes much sense to be honest. AG's leverage will be the open market.
PennytoShaq

Post#112 » by PennytoShaq » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:49 pm

JF5 wrote:Why are people complaining about this... A no talent low IQ basketball team with a decent coach lost to a team with depth + high IQ roster who is coached by an all-time great. Being blown out by a team like this shouldn't be surprising.

Personally I am glad we got the L. I think most people are just upset at how the players are used. The lineups made no sense. If you are down 30, using a big, no offense lineup does not really make any sense, and it is brutal to watch.

I think most of us for the past 2 years have simply been wanting to see the Magic truly play smaller. They said they would but they abandoned that concept last night.

Isaac has been struggling with his offense, so why not let him play some 5 and get some paint looks and spread 3s? Yes, Aldridge is too physical for him now, but why not let him defend him most of the game and see how he adjusts to that style?

I think most of us here watch the games to see young guys develop. That's what the Magic need to be doing. Running big lineups just clogs all that up and makes it very tough for the players to get space.

The only guy who has been playing multiple positions lately is Mario. And I'd be interested in seeing his splits at the 3 versus the 4. It seems as if he is struggling more on offense when defended by wings. But he also is developing his game and getting good minutes finally.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,107

Post#113 » by tiderulz » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:27 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
Ducklett wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:I actually thought we can compete with worst Spurs roster in 20 years... but naaah.

Isaac is mixed bag. Good,at times great defense, pretty usless offense. In 8 games since return he took 0 FT, 15 threes (made 5 ), and is 11-34 from the floor ( 32%). 3 assists , 5 TO, 9 blocks ,12 steals, 14 fouls. He ain't SF that's for sure.

His complete inability to contribute in any way on offense ( for whatever reason,coaching, his own limitation or something else ) in his rookie season makes it easier to make final decision that team has to keep Gordon.

I didn't expect yall to turn on Isaac this year. Cool though, prediction nailed.

It's not "turnin heel " on him, after 22 games his career high are: 11 points and 4 assists and 10 FGA . In 16 games of 22 games he went to FT line zero times. It's clear that his offense has ways to go.

I didn't and i still don't expect him to be 18 ppg player in rookie year, but i did expect more polished offensive player than this. I think everybody did, just won't admit now.

I mean, sure ,he'll get better and everything but i hoped that he will be good enough where Magic could afford to have leverage in negotiations with Gordon about his contract. If he broke out as great they could tell Gordon "see, we have guy who can replace you but we are willing to give you xy money -but not max". Now Gordon can come and say "pay me, you can't replace me anyway".

i do remember quite a few people saying his offense was better than we thought and that he could play SF without much problem. I am not seeing that with him right now. Early to make total judgements, but i just dont see him as a SF in the NBA and wont envision him as a possible 20 ppg player. more like 14-16 with good defense
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#114 » by OrlandO » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:34 pm

Should have let Isaac play in garbage time... perfect opportunity to let him put up shots without having to worry about holding him accountable.
NickAnderson
General Manager
And1: 2,922

Post#115 » by NickAnderson » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:54 pm

OrlandO wrote:Should have let Isaac play in garbage time... perfect opportunity to let him put up shots without having to worry about holding him accountable.

What if he would have re-injured his ankle? He’s on a minute restriction for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#116 » by OrlandO » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:10 pm

NickAnderson wrote:
OrlandO wrote:Should have let Isaac play in garbage time... perfect opportunity to let him put up shots without having to worry about holding him accountable.

What if he would have re-injured his ankle? He’s on a minute restriction for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

That's why I said garbage time... guys aren't going all out when there's a 35 pt differential late in the game... it's just bench players taking turns chucking shots. If they're still worried about his ankle then they did a great job risking it by letting him play 11 minutes in the 3rd quarter without a breather. Anyway, we've seen this for years... benching young developing players in blowouts like they're star vets instead of using the time to let them try things they normally wouldn't be able to do... never made sense to me.
PennytoShaq

Post#117 » by PennytoShaq » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:59 pm

tiderulz wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
Ducklett wrote:

i do remember quite a few people saying his offense was better than we thought and that he could play SF without much problem. I am not seeing that with him right now. Early to make total judgements, but i just dont see him as a SF in the NBA and wont envision him as a possible 20 ppg player. more like 14-16 with good defense

Most of us had him as a 3 and D SF. He has an offensive game that can be similar to Rashard Lewis, imo. I remember making that comparison. The main thing is that you can't block the guy's 3 ball. So if he can get his handle together, he can do a lot of damage. He grew so, so fast that it is going to take a little time for that to happen. I seriously wonder if he was fed HGH or something.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,924

Post#118 » by MagicMatic » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:13 pm

tiderulz wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
Ducklett wrote:

This is what happens when you draft projects and have no clear plan on how to utilize their strengths.

It’s almost as if WeHam didn’t watch a single Magic game to know that the offense was non-existent prior to selecting Isaac. This isn’t a knock on Isaac as much as us selecting him. I see no plan with them yet on what they are building here. Maybe they will draft JJJr and just embrace how comically transparent they are in the draft process.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,374

Post#119 » by PrimeThyme » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:24 pm

Ducklett wrote:

About as easy as a prediction as you could make. I'll admit I thought it would at least take a full season for this board to turn on him, but less than 30 games is truly impressive. I battled this board all last season when they tried to tell me AG was a finished product so I look forward to battling them the next 7 year of Isaacs career here as I fully expect them to do the same.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,160

Post#120 » by OrlChamps2030 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:31 pm

Jiwol wrote:
Bergmaniac wrote:Apparently my decision weeks ago to stop watching the Magic till the end of season was a smart one.

I've just cancelled my League Pass after not watching a single game for like two months. And to think 9 years ago I cried tears of joy after we beat the Cavs in eastern finals...

I cut my cable months ago, haven’t watched a Magic game since. Sometimes I watch highlights the next day. All the extra time to be productive feels good. It just doesn’t make sense to invest so much free time after work into something that makes you actively irritated while watching it, 5 years in a row. I’ll probably tune back in next season when we hopefully have a good rookie to make things interesting

It’s been much more interesting following the rest of the NBA

Return to Orlando Magic