ImageImageImageImage

OT: Going to Orlando for vacation

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,790

OT: Going to Orlando for vacation 

Post#1 » by jc23 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:57 pm

Hi Magic Forum!

I am planning a trip to Orlando with my family and wanted to ask those of you from the area for any suggestions or tips on what to see/do.

Its still early but the plan is to go sometime early September. How is the weather there during this time? one park we are for sure going to check out is the wizarding world of harry potter. How is the crowd situation ?

There are so many theme parks there its a bit confusing, are there any must see places? we probably wont do Disneyworld as we went to disneyland a few years ago.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Be curious, Not judgmental
Audi
Analyst
And1: 2,774

Re: OT: Going to Orlando for vacation 

Post#2 » by Audi » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:17 pm

jc23 wrote:Hi Magic Forum!

I am planning a trip to Orlando with my family and wanted to ask those of you from the area for any suggestions or tips on what to see/do.

Its still early but the plan is to go sometime early September. How is the weather there during this time? one park we are for sure going to check out is the wizarding world of harry potter. How is the crowd situation ?

There are so many theme parks there its a bit confusing, are there any must see places? we probably wont do Disneyworld as we went to disneyland a few years ago.

I know you said you’ve done Disneyland...but Disney World is still a must do if you are Orlando bound and have never been. It’s nothing like Disneyland. There is some overlap between Disneyland and Magic Kingdom at Disneyworld as well as a few “duplicate” rides in name only (typically varying in execution), but that’s essentially where it ends. Disney World is a whole different beast. To avoid the perceived replication, simply make just a brief “park hop” visit to the Magic Kingdom and instead spend time at the other three parks (Hollywood Studios, EPCOT, and Animal Kingdom). Put it this way: Disneyland Resort rests on about 500 acres featuring 2 parks the largest on ~85 acres ....Disney World Resort is on around 25,000 acres with 4 major parks, the largest on 400+ acres alone.

And yes, I’m a huge Disney/theme park nerd, but still...it’s a must do.

Also, if it’s possible to make it over that way - Gatorland is neat....but if you don’t mind a little drive (maybe 30-40 mins from Orlando), book a gator tour/airboat ride on Lake Jessup.
Abra Cadabra, Razzmatazz, Slam-Dunk Sesame, Hocus Pocus, Alacazam, Gonna set the spirit free
Keeping The Original Orlando Magic Theme Song Alive
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#3 » by OrlandO » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:19 am

Early September is still really hot and good chance of brief rain in the afternoon. It's also peak Hurricane season, so if a storm comes by expect to alter your plans for the day.
darthcheech2000
Sixth Man
And1: 399

Post#4 » by darthcheech2000 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:24 am

My best advice would be to stay on property, no matter where you go... Universal or Disney.

September is a great time, most schools nationwide have started backup, crowds are much thinner.
let paid professionals do their job, don't you try and do it for them...
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,600

Post#5 » by Skybox » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:23 am

Universal is a great setup...the parks and resorts are all interconnected very conveniently. You can walk or hop on the water taxis to move around back and forth. The Potter stuff is really well done- best theme park stuff I’ve seen! Make sure you get a multi- park pass as the Hogwarts Express (which is great too-not just transport) goes between parks. I’ve stayed at each of the Universal resorts and most of the Disney ones. I’d suggest Hard Rock Hotel, Portofino Bay, or Their newest, Sapphire Falls (my daughter works there)...all good. Disney is, of course, amazing too but, if you’re into The Potter stuff- can’t beat Universal...better rides too, if your group likes coasters etc...brand new Water Park looks impressive too (September is summer- like most months ). We’ve had annual passes throughout two decades to all of the places, at different times. Disney still the king for littler kids, but Universal, IMO, superior in a lot of ways overall. Disney also much bigger overall if you’re trying to fill a week with nothing but theme parks. Universal is much closer to downtown and International drive area, if you need a break from the lines and crowds. Have fun!
Skybox
RealGM

Post#6 » by Skybox » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:30 am

That’s nice that somebody brought up hurricane season... in the extremely unlikely event a hurricane hits while you’re there - the new resorts are among the safest places to be. Many local residents, including employees, relocate to the resorts because their backup systems are like hospitals...my daughter tells of a-holes losing their minds at front desk because a local pizza place won’t deliver (meanwhile every business for miles is boarded up and shut down without electricity while the resorts serve meals as usual). Hurricanes don’t show up unannounced either, they track them for a week before/if they arrive
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#7 » by tiderulz » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:33 pm

Audi wrote:
jc23 wrote:Hi Magic Forum!

I know you said you’ve done Disneyland...but Disney World is still a must do if you are Orlando bound and have never been. It’s nothing like Disneyland. There is some overlap between Disneyland and Magic Kingdom at Disneyworld as well as a few “duplicate” rides in name only (typically varying in execution), but that’s essentially where it ends. Disney World is a whole different beast. To avoid the perceived replication, simply make just a brief “park hop” visit to the Magic Kingdom and instead spend time at the other three parks (Hollywood Studios, EPCOT, and Animal Kingdom). Put it this way: Disneyland Resort rests on about 500 acres featuring 2 parks the largest on ~85 acres ....Disney World Resort is on around 25,000 acres with 4 major parks, the largest on 400+ acres alone.

And yes, I’m a huge Disney/theme park nerd, but still...it’s a must do.

Also, if it’s possible to make it over that way - Gatorland is neat....but if you don’t mind a little drive (maybe 30-40 mins from Orlando), book a gator tour/airboat ride on Lake Jessup.

i vote Universal over Disney. Much more to do for the adults. I just prefer those parks over the Disney ones.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#8 » by Skybox » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:03 pm

I should add... at Universal City Walk (the "hub" area between the parks and hotels), go see Blue Man Group-good for all ages- and get dessert at Toothsomes. Get a shake or split a sundae, trust me it's plenty!
TreasureCoast
Analyst
And1: 2,745

Post#9 » by TreasureCoast » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:17 pm

First of all, are you renting a car? If so, can you drive a car? If not please stay out of Central Florida we are full.
Shady Franchise
Veteran
And1: 584

Post#10 » by Shady Franchise » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:29 pm

Do you have kids in school, and is that why you're looking at September? We went in mid January and it was great. I hear the summer time is hectic and packed.
Do not max Vuc!
jc23
RealGM

Post#11 » by jc23 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:45 pm

Shady Franchise wrote:Do you have kids in school, and is that why you're looking at September? We went in mid January and it was great. I hear the summer time is hectic and packed.

everyone is an adult now, picked early September since it works schedule wise. But if the crowds are still bad i guess early November would work as well.

And for the person that suggested Toothsomes i will make a note of it.

Thanks for all the feedback!
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#12 » by Nemesis21 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:56 pm

TreasureCoast wrote:First of all, are you renting a car? If so, can you drive a car? If not please stay out of Central Florida we are full.

:rofl2:
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,416

Post#13 » by UCFJayBird » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:43 pm

Wizarding World of Harry Potter is great, make sure to get the park hopper so you an go to both sections via the train, which acts as a small ride as well (the ride is slightly different going each direction, so if the line is short and you have time I'd recommend riding a 2nd time going the other way). Butter Beer is awesome (try both regular and frozen). Make sure to stop in Madam Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlor next to Gringott's bank. They've got amazing soft serve (if you enjoy the butter beer drink, the butter beer ice cream is top notch, but the other flavors are just as good). Like someone else said, Blue Man Group out in Universal Citywalk is awesome.

Disney World - like someone else said it's nothing like Disneyland. I would avoid Magic Kingdom unless you've got kids with you. Epcot, Animal Kingdom, and Hollywood Studios are much better options for adults. If you stay at one of the resorts you can also do a bar crawl on the Monorail going to the different resorts and getting drinks, :P

Epcot - Food & Wine Festival will be going on during your trip. It can get quite expensive if you're not careful but if you're not too concerned you'll have a blast. The SOARIN' ride is great, test track is cool, Mission to Mars is still good (and they just updated the video after like 20 years, lol). If your group enjoys those Short Films Pixar does, there's a "Short Films Festival" every 20 minutes or so over near Soarin'. It's a great way to spend a few minutes outside the heat, my wife and I do it every time we go (we have annual passes so that's quite a bit). There's also a soda shoppe near Spaceship Earth where you can taste free samples of soda from around the world (tip: DO NOT drink Italy's, but tell your friends to so you can laugh).

Animal Kingdom - The new Avatar section is amazing. The Banshee ride is one of the best rides I've ever been on, maybe even THE best. Wait times are insane so I've only ridden it once during a sneak peak for annual pass holders. They've also got some cool food and drinks over there. Mt Everest ride is very good, and if you can do the Safari at sun down you'll have a great shot at seeing the Lions roaming around (Safari is great either way).

Hollywood Studios - Outside of a few rides this place is still under heavy construction with the new Star Wars land. They do have like an Imperial March every like 30 minutes so if you're into Star Wars it's worth a few hours. You can knock this park out in the morning if you have the park hopper, but i'd rank it the bottom for now.

Other Attractions:

Volcano Bay - haven't been yet but heard it's fun for those who like water parks.

I-Drive - Home to the Orlando Eye (unless it's a super clear day i'd personally not recommend it), Madam Toussands, Ripley's Believe it Or Not, and I think there's a small Aquarium. A lot of good restaurants (and a lot of bad ones). Yelp is your friend. If you find yourself in this area on a Friday night the band at Tin Roof (right next to the Eye) is fantastic. Really good time. Be warned though, I-Drive is tourist central and it can be packed, so if you're looking for less crowds after the parks avoid at all costs.

Downtown Orlando - Honestly not much of a reason to go down here unless you're looking to bar crawl.

If you're looking for good food, Restaurants Row (Dr Phillips area) has some great stuff. If you have a car the Winter Park area has some great restaurants as well, but that's about 10-15 minutes north of Downtown, so 40 minutes from the Parks if you're staying there.

If you're wanting to drive out to the Beach, depending where you're staying Cocoa is probably the closest, but New Symrna is nicer in my opinion. If you're ok driving a bit farther and making a day of it the west coast has better beaches (Clearwater & Siesta Key), but they're twice as far of a drive.
Driguez
General Manager
And1: 2,021

Post#14 » by Driguez » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:04 pm

If you're doing the beach the gulf is a far better option.
"We all we got"- SVG
jc23
RealGM

Post#15 » by jc23 » Sun Apr 8, 2018 7:48 pm

Skybox wrote:Universal is a great setup...the parks and resorts are all interconnected very conveniently. You can walk or hop on the water taxis to move around back and forth. The Potter stuff is really well done- best theme park stuff I’ve seen! Make sure you get a multi- park pass as the Hogwarts Express (which is great too-not just transport) goes between parks. I’ve stayed at each of the Universal resorts and most of the Disney ones. I’d suggest Hard Rock Hotel, Portofino Bay, or Their newest, Sapphire Falls (my daughter works there)...all good. Disney is, of course, amazing too but, if you’re into The Potter stuff- can’t beat Universal...better rides too, if your group likes coasters etc...brand new Water Park looks impressive too (September is summer- like most months ).

Nice tip on the Hogwarts express, i was curious how that would work ticket wise.

How is Horror Nights? thats right around the time we are looking at and it seems they are having a Stranger Things attraction this year which we are all fans of.

Definitely want to stay on site, Cabana Bay and Sapphire Falls are the two spots im looking at. I know some of the more expensive resorts like Hard Rock also give you a free express pass which is nice. But im not looking to pay 350 a night per room when the majority of the time we will be out.
Audi
Analyst
And1: 2,774

Post#16 » by Audi » Sun Apr 8, 2018 8:08 pm

jc23 wrote:
Skybox wrote:Universal is a great setup...the parks and resorts are all interconnected very conveniently. You can walk or hop on the water taxis to move around back and forth. The Potter stuff is really well done- best theme park stuff I’ve seen! Make sure you get a multi- park pass as the Hogwarts Express (which is great too-not just transport) goes between parks. I’ve stayed at each of the Universal resorts and most of the Disney ones. I’d suggest Hard Rock Hotel, Portofino Bay, or Their newest, Sapphire Falls (my daughter works there)...all good. Disney is, of course, amazing too but, if you’re into The Potter stuff- can’t beat Universal...better rides too, if your group likes coasters etc...brand new Water Park looks impressive too (September is summer- like most months ).

Nice tip on the Hogwarts express, i was curious how that would work ticket wise.

How is Horror Nights? thats right around the time we are looking at and it seems they are having a Stranger Things attraction this year which we are all fans of.

Definitely want to stay on site, Cabana Bay and Sapphire Falls are the two spots im looking at. I know some of the more expensive resorts like Hard Rock also give you a free express pass which is nice. But im not looking to pay 350 a night per room when the majority of the time we will be out.

Oh if you and the fam are into anything horror, Halloween Horror Nights, make it a top priority. Been dozens of times and never been disappointed (sans nitpicking). Basically they transform the park(s) into multiple haunted houses and zones...with what seems to be an unlimited budget and access to (literally) a movie studio worth of costumes and props. Unlike anything you’ll find anywhere else.
Abra Cadabra, Razzmatazz, Slam-Dunk Sesame, Hocus Pocus, Alacazam, Gonna set the spirit free
Keeping The Original Orlando Magic Theme Song Alive
Skybox
RealGM

Post#17 » by Skybox » Sun Apr 8, 2018 10:58 pm

Halloween Horror Night is nuts! My daughter works it every year and all of the cast members take it very personally to win "House of the Year"....I'm an old fart and the loooong waits make me crazy, so I won't go without springing for the fast pass. It costs about twice the cost of the actual ticket but it's the only way to see all of the houses in one night. It's so well done, I'd definitely check it out if that's your kind of thing...Usually around that time, there are Coke(I think) cans for sale all over town that come with deep discounts for non-weekend days. The lines are much better those days anyway (but they are still crazy). Just accept the line situation, wear comfortable shoes, and enjoy.
jc23
RealGM

Post#18 » by jc23 » Thu May 31, 2018 11:23 pm

Hey thanks to everyone who offered their knowledge on Universal (even the car guy lol). Researching everything about the resorts, parks, tickets etc..really was information overload for me at the beginning. Turns out Orlando gives a great Military discount for their tickets so i got a great deal on those. Will be staying at Cabana Bay, i love the fact that you can visit all the other resorts and utilize their pools and restaurants as long as you are staying on site.

HHN is also on the menu and after reading more about the event im now more excited for it then seeing the parks. Only decision now is to Express Pass or not to express pass. My hope is the stay and scream option allows my family get enough of a jump start on the crowds.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,416

Post#19 » by UCFJayBird » Fri Jun 1, 2018 12:03 am

jc23 wrote:Hey thanks to everyone who offered their knowledge on Universal (even the car guy lol). Researching everything about the resorts, parks, tickets etc..really was information overload for me at the beginning. Turns out Orlando gives a great Military discount for their tickets so i got a great deal on those. Will be staying at Cabana Bay, i love the fact that you can visit all the other resorts and utilize their pools and restaurants as long as you are staying on site.

HHN is also on the menu and after reading more about the event im now more excited for it then seeing the parks. Only decision now is to Express Pass or not to express pass. My hope is the stay and scream option allows my family get enough of a jump start on the crowds.

not sure what the stay and scream is but I've heard express pass is a must if you can swing it because it's difficult to see all the houses in one night if you don't.
jc23
RealGM

Post#20 » by jc23 » Fri Jun 1, 2018 12:27 am

UCFJayBird wrote:
jc23 wrote:Hey thanks to everyone who offered their knowledge on Universal (even the car guy lol). Researching everything about the resorts, parks, tickets etc..really was information overload for me at the beginning. Turns out Orlando gives a great Military discount for their tickets so i got a great deal on those. Will be staying at Cabana Bay, i love the fact that you can visit all the other resorts and utilize their pools and restaurants as long as you are staying on site.

not sure what the stay and scream is but I've heard express pass is a must if you can swing it because it's difficult to see all the houses in one night if you don't.

Stay and scream is an option for those who have tickets during the day and HHN, basically they allow you to go thru the Houses 1 hour before the gates open. Were going on a weeknight so it might end up being a decision made that same day.

Return to Orlando Magic