ImageImageImageImage

Official Speculation Thread ‘17-18’: XVI: The search for a coach.

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,107

Re: RE: Re: Official Speculation Thread ‘17-18’: XVI: The search for a coach. 

Post#761 » by tiderulz » Fri May 25, 2018 3:22 am

Nyce_1 wrote:
darthmerrick wrote:
NSB_Magic wrote:
Well they drafted Kuz, picked up Mario’s option and got an immediate contributor and playmaker in DSJ. They got great return on EP. And they also traded Vuc and his desirable contract before it was too late.

No the answer is no.

Is it too late to fire Weham and bring back Henny and let him run the organization without Martins interference this time? At least the dude brought us talent. If it wasn't for Skiles and Martins we'd probably be on our way to awesomeness right now.

Henny hightlights:
-Dwight for 3 first round picks, 2 Lakers 2nd rounders, a Sixers 2nd rounder Vucevic, Harkless, Afflalo and salary cap room. This was after Dwight killed any chance at us making a better deal by saying he'd only re-sign with Brooklyn.
-JJ for Tobias Harris
-Afflalo's corpse for Evan Fournier
Drafted Victor Oladipo, Aaron Gordon, Dario Saric, Mario Hezonja, Domtas Sabonis, Andrew Nicholson, Kyle O'Quinn signed Dwanye Dedmon.
Ibaka's corpse for Terrence Ross, 1st round pick after Ibaka killed his trade value by saying he wasn't signing an extension.
Traded Saric + what would eventually become unprotected lotto pick Ben Simmons for Elf Payton b/c we got Sam Hinkie'd on this one. (Henny was going to pick Porzingis at 12, but Porzingis dropped out of draft and went #3 to NY the next year)

Alex Martins forced trades:
Tobias Harris for Illyasova and Brandon Jennings (We did this for Skiles who was whining the team was too young)
Oladipo,Sabonis, Illyasova for Serge Ibaka (Did this for Vogel who said he wanted twin towers and to turn Gordon into a SF like Paul George)
-Signing Biyombo

So to highlight if Henny was allowed to build this team to his vision and we didn't make that stupid Elf trade b/c Porzingis stays in draft we'd have:
PG Ben Simmons, DJ Augustin
SG Victor Oladipo, Evan Fournier
SF Tobias Harris, Mario Hezonja
PF Aaron Gordon,Sabonis
C Kristaps Porzingis, Vucevic
You're reaching HARD with this one, man. I'm a big Henny fan but Simmons and Porzingis? Lol, nah.

yeah. the philly pick would not have conveyed until this year. And where does he get Porzingis from? And we didnt choose to draft Sabonis and then trade him, the agreement was in ahead of time.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,019

Post#762 » by fendilim » Fri May 25, 2018 3:48 am

tiderulz wrote:
Nyce_1 wrote:
darthmerrick wrote:
Is it too late to fire Weham and bring back Henny and let him run the organization without Martins interference this time? At least the dude brought us talent. If it wasn't for Skiles and Martins we'd probably be on our way to awesomeness right now.

Henny hightlights:
-Dwight for 3 first round picks, 2 Lakers 2nd rounders, a Sixers 2nd rounder Vucevic, Harkless, Afflalo and salary cap room. This was after Dwight killed any chance at us making a better deal by saying he'd only re-sign with Brooklyn.
-JJ for Tobias Harris
-Afflalo's corpse for Evan Fournier
Drafted Victor Oladipo, Aaron Gordon, Dario Saric, Mario Hezonja, Domtas Sabonis, Andrew Nicholson, Kyle O'Quinn signed Dwanye Dedmon.
Ibaka's corpse for Terrence Ross, 1st round pick after Ibaka killed his trade value by saying he wasn't signing an extension.
Traded Saric + what would eventually become unprotected lotto pick Ben Simmons for Elf Payton b/c we got Sam Hinkie'd on this one. (Henny was going to pick Porzingis at 12, but Porzingis dropped out of draft and went #3 to NY the next year)

Alex Martins forced trades:
Tobias Harris for Illyasova and Brandon Jennings (We did this for Skiles who was whining the team was too young)
Oladipo,Sabonis, Illyasova for Serge Ibaka (Did this for Vogel who said he wanted twin towers and to turn Gordon into a SF like Paul George)
-Signing Biyombo

So to highlight if Henny was allowed to build this team to his vision and we didn't make that stupid Elf trade b/c Porzingis stays in draft we'd have:
PG Ben Simmons, DJ Augustin
SG Victor Oladipo, Evan Fournier
SF Tobias Harris, Mario Hezonja
PF Aaron Gordon,Sabonis
C Kristaps Porzingis, Vucevic
You're reaching HARD with this one, man. I'm a big Henny fan but Simmons and Porzingis? Lol, nah.

yeah. the philly pick would not have conveyed until this year. And where does he get Porzingis from? And we didnt choose to draft Sabonis and then trade him, the agreement was in ahead of time.

Henny promised to pick Porzingis at 12, had he stayed during the Wiggns draft.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,177

Post#763 » by Optimus_Steel » Fri May 25, 2018 4:24 am

MagicMatic wrote:
Darth Magic wrote:The Magic have now completely lost control of the narrative regarding their coaching search. This protracted coaching search by management has now empowered the idea that no one wants the Magic job. Now if we turned around and hired a guy we interviewed early or some no-name coach the narrative will be that we couldn't find anyone better and that the guy we choose is not our first choice. Great job :roll:

Add another strike against the new management. Have they handled anything properly yet aside from the Simmons contract?
These guys are longtime experienced execs and the 1st year returns are terribly underwhelming. Not all their fault because the situation we are in they did not create but they haven't inspired any confidence with the moves they did make or not make.
aka: prorl
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,958

Post#764 » by MagicMatic » Fri May 25, 2018 5:16 am

Optimus_Steel wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
Darth Magic wrote:The Magic have now completely lost control of the narrative regarding their coaching search. This protracted coaching search by management has now empowered the idea that no one wants the Magic job. Now if we turned around and hired a guy we interviewed early or some no-name coach the narrative will be that we couldn't find anyone better and that the guy we choose is not our first choice. Great job :roll:

Add another strike against the new management. Have they handled anything properly yet aside from the Simmons contract?
These guys are longtime experienced execs and the 1st year returns are terribly underwhelming. Not all their fault because the situation we are in they did not create but they haven't inspired any confidence with the moves they did make or not make.

I’m not going to make a list of all the questionable moves (or lack there of) they have made up to this point. Other than Simmons, who has been less than good, they haven’t given me any confidence in their ability to manage the team.

They have let staff go - great... more needs to be done and moves have to be made. The fact they have taken this long on a coach hire isn’t surprising considering it’s taken them forever to get anything done at the team’s detriment.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,292

Re: Official Speculation Thread ‘17-18’: XVI: The search for a coach. 

Post#765 » by pepe1991 » Fri May 25, 2018 6:22 am

next thing you know Vučević will become player-coach.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,625

Post#766 » by Skybox » Fri May 25, 2018 11:06 am

The Effect wrote:As for the rumor, i get the guy is a troll, but thats a pretty random name to pull out of your ass.....

I wouldn't even call him a troll...he's basically a comedian. He used to be funny as a 2 minute guest on the real local sports show. His whole shtick was to sound dead serious while delivery "buffoonery"...the fact that some people are considering his takes would please him. He's clever in his humor, dropping names that cause you a few minutes of "waitaminnit-this isn't real is it?". I guess he's been escalated to a full radio host which is way too much of a good thing for me. Kind of like when "Larry the Cable Guy" would call in for a 3 minute rant, he was great ...but, to make him a movie star, ugggh-what does this say about US ? :crazy:
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,917

Post#767 » by drsd » Fri May 25, 2018 11:50 am

magicfan4life88 wrote:[url]
Read on Twitter
?s=19[/url] FWIW

He fits the mood of Magician wants: former player, got in the long, hard way, etc.

Plus he knows what a championship effort looks like.

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,917

Post#768 » by drsd » Fri May 25, 2018 11:51 am

pepe1991 wrote:next thing you know Vučević will become player-coach.

The current CBA precludes a player/coach.
MagicFan4Lyfe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,904

Post#769 » by MagicFan4Lyfe » Fri May 25, 2018 2:26 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
GortatExpress wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:

You have absolutely no clue what the fk you are talking about.

A clueless prick? Hmmm I'd like to respond to that, but I would get banned. Instead how about you quit spewing garbage out of your mouth.

I swear you’ve got to be either Rob Hennigan or someone from the Hennigan family. I don’t anyone who supports Hennigan more than you. Sure Martins takes the blame for this disaster but you’ve almost given Hennigan a free pass. The dudes incompetence was the reason Martins had to get his grubby hands involved in the first place.

See this is the garbage you spew out that I'm talking about. First of all no I'm not Rob or related to him. Second if you actually read my posts, you would see that I don't absolve him from blame. I give him some. But stupid comments by you like worst GM ever, clueless prick, etc, lead me to believe you only blame him.
I even point out evidence of RDV and Martins interfering and you'll and 1 my post and quote and agree, yet you continue to bash Rob with this nonsense. And lastly to your last sentence, lmao that's not true at all. They got in the way because they rushed the rebuild, talking about playoffs pretty much every offseason. Hell they we talking about it once we drafted Dipo. We weren't anywhere close to the playoffs and there was no need to rush things, sign a bunch of crappy vets, trading Tobias for peanuts to make Skiles happy.

What you fail to continue to know or acknowledge, is that Rob had a plan to build through the draft and not sign a ton of crappy vets. He was forced to, forced to hire Skiles, pressured to early to make the playoffs.

Sure Rob had some mistakes. But maybe after WeHam gets fired in a year or two, and we are still stuck where we have been for 6 years and counting, maybe then you'll finally realize that it's not the going on 5 coaches since SVG and it's not the people in the GM role, it's not the players. It's RDV and Martins, they two constants in this whole mess post Dwight era.

If you see my posts I do place the blame also on RDV and Martins. We differ in the perspective of who takes the most blame and what caused the downfall of the Magic. You see RDV/ Martins as the reason for Hennigan not being able to do his job and I see the incompetence of Hennigan as the reason Martins and RDV got involved. Prior to Hennigan, we never heard about Martins and RDV getting involved as much as they did with the Henny years. Otis, Weisbrod, Gabe.... did we ever hear a peep about their hands being forced? If anything RDV always opened their wallets and tried to bring the best product to Orlando.
Orlando Magic are BACK!!!
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,160

Post#770 » by OrlChamps2030 » Fri May 25, 2018 2:31 pm

At this point if you’re still placing 100% of the blame on Hennigan or 100% of the blame on Devos/Martins you just don’t understand how professional sports work.

Martins/RDV pushed for win now and Hennigan failed to deliver and went down in flames. Case closed. Nothing more needs to be said
MagicFan4Lyfe
Assistant Coach

Post#771 » by MagicFan4Lyfe » Fri May 25, 2018 2:37 pm

GANGSTERDOG wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:
GortatExpress wrote:
I swear you’ve got to be either Rob Hennigan or someone from the Hennigan family. I don’t anyone who supports Hennigan more than you. Sure Martins takes the blame for this disaster but you’ve almost given Hennigan a free pass. The dudes incompetence was the reason Martins had to get his grubby hands involved in the first place.

See this is the garbage you spew out that I'm talking about. First of all no I'm not Rob or related to him. Second if you actually read my posts, you would see that I don't absolve him from blame. I give him some. But stupid comments by you like worst GM ever, clueless prick, etc, lead me to believe you only blame him.
I even point out evidence of RDV and Martins interfering and you'll and 1 my post and quote and agree, yet you continue to bash Rob with this nonsense. And lastly to your last sentence, lmao that's not true at all. They got in the way because they rushed the rebuild, talking about playoffs pretty much every offseason. Hell they we talking about it once we drafted Dipo. We weren't anywhere close to the playoffs and there was no need to rush things, sign a bunch of crappy vets, trading Tobias for peanuts to make Skiles happy.

What you fail to continue to know or acknowledge, is that Rob had a plan to build through the draft and not sign a ton of crappy vets. He was forced to, forced to hire Skiles, pressured to early to make the playoffs.

Sure Rob had some mistakes. But maybe after WeHam gets fired in a year or two, and we are still stuck where we have been for 6 years and counting, maybe then you'll finally realize that it's not the going on 5 coaches since SVG and it's not the people in the GM role, it's not the players. It's RDV and Martins, they two constants in this whole mess post Dwight era.

I agree with Nemesis. I'd take Hennigan 9 times out of 10 over any Magic GM in history.

If it wasn't for Martin's and owners Rushing everything we would still have DIPO and 2016 pick

WTF?? You obviously forget the GREATEST GM in Magic history- JOHN GABRIEL. He was a master at the salary cap and he almost pulled off the original Big 3. If Grant Hill’s ankle were sound we would be looking at Gabe as a pioneer. Sure his drafting was suspect but no GM is perfect.

Hennigan? What did he do? Create 6 years of darkness and misery and put the current management team in such an abyss that it will take another 3-4 years for us to climb out
MagicFan4Lyfe
Assistant Coach

Post#772 » by MagicFan4Lyfe » Fri May 25, 2018 2:38 pm

OrlChamps2030 wrote:At this point if you’re still placing 100% of the blame on Hennigan or 100% of the blame on Devos/Martins you just don’t understand how professional sports work.

Martins/RDV pushed for win now and Hennigan failed to deliver and went down in flames. Case closed. Nothing more needs to be said

Well said and you are 100% correct!
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,118

Post#773 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Fri May 25, 2018 2:46 pm

Still have a feeling if Toronto doesn't hire Nurse than it will be him and Stack will be lead assistant....
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
trebone
Lead Assistant
And1: 333

Post#774 » by trebone » Fri May 25, 2018 3:38 pm

I think Id rather have Stackhouse than Clifford at this point, we know what Clifford is but what the hell, why not at this point roll the dice :(
PennytoShaq
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 5,218

Post#775 » by PennytoShaq » Fri May 25, 2018 3:51 pm

I agree. I hope the Magic hire Stackhouse. It almost seems like a pipe dream now. But with Nurse most likely getting the Toronto job, we may still have a shot.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,160

Post#776 » by OrlChamps2030 » Fri May 25, 2018 4:12 pm

PennytoShaq wrote:I agree. I hope the Magic hire Stackhouse. It almost seems like a pipe dream now. But with Nurse most likely getting the Toronto job, we may still have a shot.

With Nurse in the lead for the Toronto job and the magic seemingly approaching a rebuild redux, I think Stackhouse is the likely outcome. I don’t see it as a pipe dream at all
GameOver25
RealGM
And1: 5,717

Post#777 » by GameOver25 » Fri May 25, 2018 5:41 pm

Weltman lied to us. I bet what's taking so long is Martins really hasn't given autonomous control of the decision making to Weltman and they're arguing right now about who's our next coach.

Martins: Now listen here Weltman it's going to be between Steve Clifford or Luke Ridnour. I enjoyed talking to him during his time here. Such a dapper.

Weltman: Wait a sec Martins, when was I brought here you promised me total autonomy of all basketball related decisions!?

Martins:

MagicFan4Lyfe
Assistant Coach

Post#778 » by MagicFan4Lyfe » Fri May 25, 2018 5:48 pm

GameOver25 wrote:Weltman lied to us. I bet what's taking so long is Martins really hasn't given autonomous control of the decision making to Weltman and they're arguing right now about who's our next coach.

Martins: Now listen here Weltman it's going to be between Steve Clifford or Luke Ridnour. I enjoyed talking to him during his time here. Such a dapper.

Weltman: Wait a sec Martins, when was I brought here you promised me total autonomy of all basketball related decisions!?

Martins:

I highly doubt Martins going to get involved at all. He knows the public perception of him and WeHam are highly respected in the league so it would be stupid of him to meddle in their affairs
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,719

Post#779 » by basketballRob » Fri May 25, 2018 10:31 pm

Wonder if the Magic take a run at VanVleet? He's unrestricted and the Raptors are already spending a lot of money.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/v/vanvlfr01.html
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#780 » by Nyce_1 » Sat May 26, 2018 1:30 am

basketballRob wrote:Wonder if the Magic take a run at VanVleet? He unrestricted and the Raptors are already spending a lot of money.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/v/vanvlfr01.html
He's restricted.

If we hire a Tor assistant, I expect us to make a run at him. Also depends on who we draft and if we do anything with DJ.

Return to Orlando Magic