ImageImageImageImage

Sign and Trade AG?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Re: Sign and Trade AG? 

Post#81 » by Skin » Tue May 15, 2018 6:21 am

bigpimpatl wrote:
Skin wrote:
The Effect wrote:If someone offers him an offer we wont match (say max), we wont get anything in return no matter how much we make it sound like we want him. Our only option would be to match, and then trade him later in the year.

Like if say Indy wants him, and offers max, our choices would be to match, or accept a s&t for like Alex Poythress and a 2nd rounder, or if we're lucky, TJ leaf (sadly even thats a pipe dream). We wont scare them with a "S&T for Sabonis and 1st or we'll match" kinda offer

True, we would be limited to dealing with the team he signs an offer sheet with. But if they don't give us a good enough return in a trade, then fortunately for us, Gordon isn't a guy we have to lie about liking. We can match and Indy won't get him. If they really do want him, then they have to pony up a trade offer that gets us to not match. WeHam won't be able to survive the criticism of losing AG for Poythress and a 2nd.

That’s not practical and it’s not what actually happens in RFA. A team like Indy under the cap has no incentive to offer anything more than a minimal pick or player. The best we can do is generate a trade exception and we’ll have to pay them to do it. Of course we can match an offer but if Indy really wants him like you say, they will offer a handsome deal. Also we can’t stop AG from soliciting offers from other teams.

You said it right...

Of course we can match an offer.

We have the leverage. It goes the same way against us if we wanted to snag a RFA from another team and they wanted to keep him really badly. It would take a lot to pry him away even if we had the cap space.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
bigpimpatl
Veteran
And1: 1,263

Post#82 » by bigpimpatl » Tue May 15, 2018 10:01 am

Skin wrote:
bigpimpatl wrote:
Skin wrote:True, we would be limited to dealing with the team he signs an offer sheet with. But if they don't give us a good enough return in a trade, then fortunately for us, Gordon isn't a guy we have to lie about liking. We can match and Indy won't get him. If they really do want him, then they have to pony up a trade offer that gets us to not match. WeHam won't be able to survive the criticism of losing AG for Poythress and a 2nd.

That’s not practical and it’s not what actually happens in RFA. A team like Indy under the cap has no incentive to offer anything more than a minimal pick or player. The best we can do is generate a trade exception and we’ll have to pay them to do it. Of course we can match an offer but if Indy really wants him like you say, they will offer a handsome deal. Also we can’t stop AG from soliciting offers from other teams.

You said it right...

We have the leverage. It goes the same way against us if we wanted to snag a RFA from another team and they wanted to keep him really badly. It would take a lot to pry him away even if we had the cap space.

no, we don't have leverage lol. We are at the mercy of every team with cap space that wants to sign him. AG can also choose who he signs with and request the team not match (obviously the team is under no obligation). But teams (like the Nets) can do a bunch of tricks like poison pill or no trade clause or weird payment timings or player options (see Otto Porter Jr max offer sheet from Brooklyn) to make it difficult to match. Lastly the BYC provision makes it hard to match incoming and outgoing salaries. I would say, AG has the most leverage.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,158

Post#83 » by zaymon » Tue May 15, 2018 11:24 am

bigpimpatl wrote:
Skin wrote:
bigpimpatl wrote:

You said it right...

no, we don't have leverage lol. We are at the mercy of every team with cap space that wants to sign him. AG can also choose who he signs with and request the team not match (obviously the team is under no obligation). But teams (like the Nets) can do a bunch of tricks like poison pill or no trade clause or weird payment timings or player options (see Otto Porter Jr max offer sheet from Brooklyn) to make it difficult to match. Lastly the BYC provision makes it hard to match incoming and outgoing salaries. I would say, AG has the most leverage.

He has leverage only if someone offers him max which is not obvious. There were many overpaid players last few years and almost every contract now is seen as a burden. Nba teams are slow to learn but they learn eventually.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
Skin
RealGM

Post#84 » by Skin » Tue May 15, 2018 6:29 pm

bigpimpatl wrote:
Skin wrote:
bigpimpatl wrote:

You said it right...

ORL can match. They have the leverage. AG can't just leave on his own wishing. lol

He has all the freedom to chase his best opportunity, but it's the Magic who decide on whether or not to let him go. Therefore, if the new team really wants the Magic to NOT MATCH, then they need to pony up a nice offer.

If the Magic don't want to match.... and that means they are exercising their right to refusal... at their choice... then yea... they'll probably take back a minimal offer if it helps them in any way.
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,359

Post#85 » by Knightro » Tue May 15, 2018 6:38 pm

I would let Gordon shop himself around.

No reason not to really.

There's no level of poison pill that anyone could give him that would be all that damaging to the Magic if they decided to match an offer for him.
T-Cat
Sixth Man
And1: 428

Post#86 » by T-Cat » Tue May 15, 2018 7:34 pm

Knightro wrote:I would let Gordon shop himself around.

No reason not to really.

There's no level of poison pill that anyone could give him that would be all that damaging to the Magic if they decided to match an offer for him.

The longer he waits the more likely he'll sign a QO and bet on himself next season and force himself out of Orlando!
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,293

Post#87 » by pepe1991 » Tue May 15, 2018 8:04 pm

T-Cat wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:I think they can't trade him on draft night ,that hurts flexibility . In general sign and trades are rare because teams , in most cases, don't have much to gain. It's move to help player.

Capela situation isn't really that interesting.Houston simply can't pay Harden, Cp3, Capela and Gordon $110m, they would become most expensive team in nba history easly. Being $20 M deep into luxury tax means what ? Payting extra $30 or more millions just for luxury tax this year, and 2,5 times more next year?
Doesn't sound like something that many owners will give green light to do, it's not like they have prime Jordan so titles and money from titles is basically done deal.

With that theory, how would LeBron to the Rockets work?

Doesn't he want max money?

It would not, ignore media bullcrap, they have no clue what they are talking about. In order to get Lebron Rockets would have to let Capela walk and trade Gordon and Anderson. It would be Harden, CP3, Lebron and bunch of nobodies.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,359

Post#88 » by Knightro » Tue May 15, 2018 8:17 pm

T-Cat wrote:The longer he waits the more likely he'll sign a QO and bet on himself next season and force himself out of Orlando!

So?

Why would that be a bad thing?

If Gordon wants to play the 18-19 season for 7.2M instead of 25M, that's perfectly fine with me. Gives the Magic another year to evaluate him/the team AND they can still offer him the most years and the most money in the summer of 2019 if he makes improvements to his game.

Now it would give him more leverage to leave, but he seems dead set on getting the most money he possibly can get. I'm hard pressed to think he'd turn away 5/150 from the Magic if they offered in the summer of 2019 even if he wasn't in love with the organization.

These guys that have never been paid, it's really tough to turn down that first contract offer from the team that drafted you.
T-Cat
Sixth Man
And1: 428

Post#89 » by T-Cat » Tue May 15, 2018 8:19 pm

bigpimpatl wrote:
Skin wrote:
bigpimpatl wrote:

You said it right...

It's really hard to not want AG on this team because he's a hard worker and improves every season! I just have faith we will do what's best for this franchise :D
Skin
RealGM

Post#90 » by Skin » Tue May 15, 2018 8:24 pm

T-Cat wrote:

No reason not to really.

The longer he waits the more likely he'll sign a QO and bet on himself next season and force himself out of Orlando!

The season hasn't even ended yet. The Magic should not be outbidding themselves when Aaron is asking for the max. Let's see what the market dictates. I doubt it will be the max, but if it is, then at least we can feel ok about giving it to him.
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,001

Post#91 » by p0peye » Tue May 15, 2018 9:33 pm

T-Cat wrote:

No reason not to really.

That happens when a player can't find any takers on a contract level he deems to be worth. Usually such player is not worth anywhere near the amount he was looking for, reference Noel, Nerlens and Monroe, Gregg.
bigpimpatl
Veteran
And1: 1,263

Post#92 » by bigpimpatl » Wed May 16, 2018 1:47 am

p0peye wrote:
T-Cat wrote:

No reason not to really.

That happens when a player can't find any takers on a contract level he deems to be worth. Usually such player is not worth anywhere near the amount he was looking for, reference Noel, Nerlens and Monroe, Gregg.

Gregg Monroe is a bad example since he got a 3 year max deal from the bucks anyway. It just doesn't happen enough to say one way or another.

as for a poison pill, a team can add a trade kicker in his contract which can make it more difficult to trade him later.
Airgordon00
Junior
And1: 173

Post#93 » by Airgordon00 » Wed May 16, 2018 2:45 am

Any way you guys could see us sign and trade Gordon + the draft rights to our 6th pick (whoever we agree to draft for the suns) for the draft rights to doncic or ayton?

Obviously Gordon would have to agree to go to Phoenix but he did go to college in Arizona so I could see the appeal for him to do so.

Would we prefer a lineup of DJ, Doncic, Fournier or Ross, Isaac and biz or vooch( if he is still here) or DJ, Fournier, Ross, Isaac and Ayton or Young, Fournier, Isaac, Gordon and biz or vooch.

Would you prefer to stand pat or would you consider a trade like this?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,178

Re: RE: Re: Sign and Trade AG? 

Post#94 » by Optimus_Steel » Wed May 16, 2018 3:08 am

darthmerrick wrote:So you guys want to trade a 22 year old Stretch four who has shown potential of being a superstar for Dwight Howard? AG was the best PF in NBA for first 12 games this year before Vogel done f'd up the spacing...and you want to trade him because he said he wants the rookie scale max? Dude Otto Porter got $26 million a year. That's the price these days for keeping your players. Or are we just going to turn into a permanent farm team...build these guys up and let them walk or trade them after four years and watch them turn into superstars elewhere. Lets suck it up and Match Gordon at the max, keep him with John Issac and our forward position is locked down for years. And the only guy worth trading for Dwight is Bismack Biyombo. You don't take a bad contract without giving one up.
Doesn't a player need to be good at shooting to be considered a stretch 4?
aka: prorl
Airgordon00
Junior
And1: 173

Post#95 » by Airgordon00 » Wed May 16, 2018 3:22 am

Airgordon00 wrote:Any way you guys could see us sign and trade Gordon + the draft rights to our 6th pick (whoever we agree to draft for the suns) for the draft rights to doncic or ayton?

Obviously Gordon would have to agree to go to Phoenix but he did go to college in Arizona so I could see the appeal for him to do so.

Would we prefer a lineup of DJ, Doncic, Fournier or Ross, Isaac and biz or vooch( if he is still here) or DJ, Fournier, Ross, Isaac and Ayton or Young, Fournier, Isaac, Gordon and biz or vooch.

If we didn’t end up liking this deal maybe we could offer the Kings vooch, Fournier and our #6 rights for whoever is left of ayton or doncic. I personally would prefer this package over the first one because it allows us to keep Gordon but I’m not sure if the kings would except. I know vlade loves himself vooch and Fournier so you never know.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,958

Post#96 » by MagicMatic » Wed May 16, 2018 6:22 am

Airgordon00 wrote:
Airgordon00 wrote:Any way you guys could see us sign and trade Gordon + the draft rights to our 6th pick (whoever we agree to draft for the suns) for the draft rights to doncic or ayton?

If we didn’t end up liking this deal maybe we could offer the Kings vooch, Fournier and our #6 rights for whoever is left of ayton or doncic. I personally would prefer this package over the first one because it allows us to keep Gordon but I’m not sure if the kings would except. I know vlade loves himself vooch and Fournier so you never know.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

The best asset out of any of those players is their pick (Ayton/Doncic). AG could maybe net a 7-10 pick if it made sense. Highly unlikely to happen though.
OrlandoMagic
Lead Assistant
And1: 435

Post#97 » by OrlandoMagic » Wed May 16, 2018 1:26 pm

I wonder if ATL would do a Gordon and future first for there 3rd pick.
swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,153

Post#98 » by swarlesbarkley » Wed May 16, 2018 1:31 pm

OrlandoMagic wrote:I wonder if ATL would do a Gordon and future first for there 3rd pick.

Then snag Bagley and Young? I'm on board.
NavalAviator94
Analyst
And1: 1,456

Post#99 » by NavalAviator94 » Wed May 16, 2018 10:01 pm

p0peye wrote:
T-Cat wrote:

No reason not to really.

For every Jimmy Butler there's the above. And with Gordon's athleticism being such a big part of his value, he's one WWE wrestling match(with his brother) away from getting zip.

What I have no sense of is how the recent Supreme Court ruling on gambling will factor into offers this Summer.
NBAchamps2017
Pro Prospect
And1: 336

Post#100 » by NBAchamps2017 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:48 am

Aaron Gordon + Ross for Jeff Teague + Justin Patton.

Trade with Suns: Vuc + Four for Ty Chandler + Bender+ Mitchell + Dudley

Teague, Augustin, Iwundu - PG
Simmons, Hezonja - SG
Isaac, Dudley - SF
Mitchell, Bender - PF
Bamba, Ty Chandler, Patton - C

Return to Orlando Magic