Mauro Pedrosa wrote:
I really want to save up for one of these things
Maybe mid 2019 I'll get it
I bought the Xbox One version of that steering wheel. The steering wheel itself and pedals felt nice quality for the price, but I ended up unhappy when I started playing with it. I bought it for my Xbox One, but needed a better setup in my living room so I used it on my PC in my study room. Didn't get to try it on Xbox, but on a PC I had issues that I couldn't solve for some reason and made me regret the purchase.
I'll put a disclamer here that some of my issues might have been caused by a faulty steering wheel, but the issues I had with the pedalbox are legit. I bought it new, not second-hand.
Some points from top of my head:
* It's gear driven instead of belt driven. The gears feel grindy and loud. You get no real sense of steering in this thing, it's more like you're steering a dump truck through minefield in a lava rockbed.
* The force feedback either is too powerful or too weak and it does not feel natural. It feels very mechanical and kicks too much. Just driving over white lines on the road was like driving over an open manhole.
* There's a big force feedback dead spot in the top dead position, I'd say about 1/3 of an inch, it really bothered me because it kinda effed with the fine steering at higher speeds.
* Many times I had to close the game and restart the steering wheel, because it would take control out of my hand when turning at speeds or drifting and turn itself full-lock in one direction, then the other direction and the motors would stick in that position. You could hear the motors struggling with the lock.
* The settings, although plentiful, didn't really tell me what I was adjusting, really, so I had no idea what I was doing and it didn't really feel like lots of change between settings. I was getting really frustrated.
* The pedals are fine for accelerator and clutch. The brake pedal however, is absolutely useless out of the box. Not sure if it's just in the G920 (Xbox/PC) but Logitech added a rubber piece under the pedal to give it a different "braking feel". Only thing it did was making it almost impossible to brake to a stop. I literally was STANDING up straight, putting A LOT of body weight on the darn brakes but still my Ferrari was rolling at 4mph on flat surface in Forza Horizon 3. Trying to brake at 150mph was like sticking your foot out the door Flintstone-style and hoping you'd stop. I searched online and many were opening the pedal box to remove this rubber piece, so I did also, and what a difference it made. Now it was possible to stop in less than a mile.
* I bought the gear-shifter too, it was fine but a little too "light". Needs more weight to it. Only real issue I had, it was easy to hit fifth when going for third.
* I returned the G920 and shifter after trying to live with it for 3 weeks. If you can return it for full refund, go ahead and see if you have the same or similar issues. If not, it should be a decent entry level steering wheel/pedals. I recommend getting the shifter too. Is it maybe included in the G29 version?