ImageImageImageImage

Draft Thread 7.0: The Final Countdown

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

FFBlitzace
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,777

Re: Draft Thread 7.0: The Final Countdown 

Post#21 » by FFBlitzace » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:23 pm

gov1718 wrote:Trade 6 , Ross to Clippers for 12,13. Draft Alexander PG and Miles Bridges SF

I follow the Magic as closely as any fan possibly can, but honestly, I had forgotten Terrence Ross was on our team until I saw your post. I don't know if I've ever just flat out forgotten one of our players existed like that. Maybe I'm getting old, I don't know.
11/18/2017 - I have officially disowned Nikola Vucevic and branded him a loser.

- Skal Labissiere was my guy in 2016 pre-trade. Whoops, but I still believe.
- Malik Monk was my guy in 2017. Whoops(?)
- Mo Bamba was my guy in 2018. TBD.
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM
And1: 8,454

Post#22 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:23 pm

gov1718 wrote:Trade 6 , Ross to Clippers for 12,13. Draft Alexander PG and Miles Bridges SF

YUCK.

Literally one of the worst scenarios that could happen.
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,940

Post#23 » by OrlandoDream » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:35 pm

Def Swami wrote:
Nyce_1 wrote:Trae or Bamba and I'm happy.

Essentially where I'm at as well.

I think if Bamba is on the board, it'll be difficult for Weltman and Hammond to pass up on the potential of Bamba. One of the things I like about Young is his boom potential; it's arguable that no one has more boom potential than Bamba. He's my favorite big in the draft. He's the most freakish physical presence in the draft, will at the very least change a team's defense, has the potential to add a jumpshot (and if he does, then he's fighting for best player in this draft), and I really enjoy his personality and approach. The Magic desperately need a star player, a leader, and alpha that the team can rally around, and I think Bamba comes off as someone who wants that for himself as well. If Porter Jr. goes top 5, there's a real possibility that Bamba is there for them.

If they go with a big like Bamba at #6, I really hope they try to address their point guard situation elsewhere in the draft. Whether that involves hoping someone they like falls to #35 or trading up, they can't let this tweet air out ever again. :nonono:
Read on Twitter
?lang=en
Anfernee Simons, Elie Okobo, or Landry Shamet, etc. There are a lot of point guards outside the lottery. Not all of them are going to make it, but this is where you hope your scouting department can identify talent and help build your roster.

The other wild card for the Magic is Doncic. I find it incredible that there's a scenario where he falls to #6, let alone out of the top 3. But after listening to the Woj podcast and reading some of these tweets, it seems like that's a real possibility. Doncic also fits the profile for what we need; a playmaker on the wing who can also shoot off the bounce. He's also a guy who has been a leader for his team (at age 19!!). I imagine Orlando have and will continue to look at opportunities to trade up to take Doncic.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

But if it plays out how I think it will, I think both Bamba and Doncic (Dallas has to be his floor) will be gone. And it'll be Trae Young SZN in Orlando. This has been my guy all season long. From a fit and need perspective, no one is more perfect than Young. He's the high volume scorer and playmaker that will change an offense and make life easier for all the wings on our team. He'll inject a new life into this team that has been missing for 6 years. He had the best 3-4 weeks that I've ever seen from a college guard and then had a rough 2nd half of the season. But his skills are undeniable and have to be accounted for by defenses. The gravity and attention he commands can be a game-changer. He's a great shooter and passer. Sometimes I think we overthink the draft. He averaged 28 and 8 at age 19! He's going to get better. And again, I really appreciate that he doesn't shy away from the moment. He accepted and commanded the role as a leader on his team. Even in their NCAA tournament loss, I really admired how much Young clawed to keep his team in that game.

The doomsday scenario is if Doncic, Young, and Bamba are off the board when we pick. I'm not that high on Wendell Carter Jr. I'd be tempted to just take on swing on Michael Porter Jr. and pray for the best or consider trading down for those two 1st round Clippers picks. Guys like Lonnie Walker IV and Collin Sexton are interesting here.

The Magic desperately need a star. I'm sure Wendell Carter Jr and Mikal Bridges will be good NBA players. But the Magic need playmakers and scorers. I'd argue that they have several "good" players, but they'll be stuck in the lottery until they land that one star player. All it takes is one for a franchise's fortunes to change.

Its gonna be either Bamba or Young for us. Whoever of those doesnt go top 5, the other one will be our pick. If both are available, I understand if Weltman picks Bamba. Just like last year with Isaac, too much raw talent and potential to pass up. Yes young would be a better fit and we could really use his talents more but Bamba can be special.

Also as an organization that takes a players personality into their draft decision, Bamba and Young both have. Two humble kids with a strong worth ethic who seem above average in bball IQ at their age.

I would be very happy with either one.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Draft Thread 7.0: The Final Countdown 

Post#24 » by Blue_and_Whte » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:51 pm

No thanks. Quality over quantity. What is this infatuation with trading down 6 spots?

Anyway it’s young, bamba, wcj, or Mikal for me as I think they’re the most likely to be available at 6

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#25 » by Nemesis21 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:04 pm

tiderulz wrote:you want Trae and then two more PG in Carter and Thomas?

Thomas is a SG, and yes I would like to grab a defensive PG to back up Trae.
matticus90
Ballboy
And1: 34

Post#26 » by matticus90 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:06 pm

I’m Really excited for this draft, I’ll be happy with a lot of scenarios.

Young, Porter, Bridges, Bamba...

Also first time in a while a trade feels likely which is exciting.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,980

Post#27 » by MagicMatic » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:10 pm

I’ll be ecstatic-
Doncic
Bagley

I’ll be ok with-
Young
M. Bridges
Porter (to a lesser extent)

There better be a plan in place and other moves made-
JJJ
Bamba
WCJr
bargnanimvp
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,362

Post#28 » by bargnanimvp » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:12 pm

I'm really not excited for this draft, again we will be picking after the top prospects go and taking what's left. None of the guys we are mocked for really hit me as stand out players. What happens happens and i'll wait until they play to judge but i'm expecting another guy who's not seen as a bad pick but isn't really moving the needle on a team like orlando at all.

now if we could have landed a higher pick and had a shot at doncic it would be a different story with me
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,501

Post#29 » by MagicFan101 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:17 pm

bargnanimvp wrote:I'm really not excited for this draft, again we will be picking after the top prospects go and taking what's left. None of the guys we are mocked for really hit me as stand out players. What happens happens and i'll wait until they play to judge but i'm expecting another guy who's not seen as a bad pick but isn't really moving the needle on a team like orlando at all.

now if we could have landed a higher pick and had a shot at doncic it would be a different story with me

The difference this year is that after Ayton and Doncic, what does “top prospect mean?”

We have had “top 3 and then the rest” drafts quite a few times recently. But this year you have Bamba, Bagley, JJ, Young, Porter and Carter all in the thick of things. You even have some debate over whether or not Doncic actually goes #2.

There will be a good player there at 6.

There is always a surprise player drafted outside the lottery who ends up being special. I’m not taking about that here. I’m talking about one of the hyped names mentioned here who has to be there by default.

Will we pick the correct one? That is the question. Some have already given up on WeHam. I hold judgement until we see how this draft plays out.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,111

Post#30 » by tiderulz » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:34 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:

i would use one on a SF, because we need a SF
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#31 » by Nyce_1 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:35 pm

thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,729

Post#32 » by thelead » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:49 pm

MagicMatic wrote:I’ll be ecstatic-
Doncic
Bagley

I’ll be ok with-
Young
M. Bridges

JJJ
Bamba
WCJr

Not sure for the hate with Bamba... he is semi-raw but he can hit the 3, block shots and do things like this:

NO ONE is blocking that shot.

That said, there needs to be a plan in place with any draft pick. We pick Doncic, cool, who's playing PG and C? We draft Bagley, cool, what's the plan for JI, AG and Vuc (where does Bagley fit in)? We draft Young, cool, who is defending the paint and improving our horrible defense?

We suck so much that one pick isn't going to change everything unless we luck into a LeBron type of player.
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM
And1: 8,454

Post#33 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:58 pm

thelead wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:I’ll be ecstatic-
Doncic
Bagley

I’ll be ok with-
Young
M. Bridges

JJJ
Bamba
WCJr

Not sure for the hate with Bamba... he is semi-raw but he can hit the 3, block shots and do things like this:

NO ONE is blocking that shot.

That said, there needs to be a plan in place with any draft pick. We pick Doncic, cool, who's playing PG and C? We draft Bagley, cool, what's the plan for JI, AG and Vuc (where does Bagley fit in)? We draft Young, cool, who is defending the paint and improving our horrible defense?

We suck so much that one pick isn't going to change everything unless we luck into a LeBron type of player.

Like I'm totally all in for Bamba and would be quite sad if we didn't draft him. Haven't been so invested in a draftee since a long time. People will quickly forget about Young the second we trade for a Kemba.
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
mbn23
Pro Prospect
And1: 76

Post#34 » by mbn23 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:03 pm

If we're gonna move down from 6 to 12, 13 I'd rather send Biyambo instead of Ross for better compensation from our end. Then we move those two 1st's and one or 2 2nds to move back up.
Just Sayin
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#35 » by Nemesis21 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:08 pm

tiderulz wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:

i would use one on a SF, because we need a SF

Grab one next year with top 5, RJ Barrett.

Young
Thomas
Barrett
Gordon
Isaac
mbn23
Pro Prospect
And1: 76

Post#36 » by mbn23 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:09 pm

Knowing Weltman's history of keeping picks, I believe they will pick the BPA. If that means a PG like Young, then so be it but if its one of the big guys or Porter Jr then so be it as well. The Magic could avoid the PG this year and go after some FA PG like Isiah Thomas, a player who is somewhat selfish at times, is hungry to prove he can still play. Shouln't be able to command a whole hell of a lot and have him be the PG until next years draft/FA.

At that point see how Gordon (if the Magic resign) Issac and this years picks (Porter/Bamba, etc) play and do a tango like the 76ers have done.
Just Sayin
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,729

Post#37 » by thelead » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:09 pm

For those that want to bring in Hasheem Thabeet to hate on Bamba... EVERYTHING Hasheem did was slow and he had very little lift in his jump. The difference in speed/athleticism between Thabeet and Bamba is massive:

Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#38 » by Nemesis21 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:11 pm

BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,602

Post#39 » by BadMofoPimp » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:15 pm

Anybody going to the arena to party on draft night?

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,602

Post#40 » by BadMofoPimp » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:16 pm

Sub Biz for Ross and you gotta deal.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!

Return to Orlando Magic