ImageImageImageImage

The Insane Potential of Mo Bamba

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Instincts
Pro Prospect
And1: 476

Re: The Insane Potential of Mo Bamba 

Post#181 » by Instincts » Mon Jul 9, 2018 5:24 pm

PrimeShaq wrote:
zaymon wrote:
Bamba has a long way to go, Howard was such a freak. If he can be 70% of Dwight pure force + 3 point shoot he will be amazing.

That video just shows you how important Meer was for Dwight's development. Dwight wasn't featured in the offense early on in Orlando and Bamba obviously won't be either.

Read on Twitter

I just wish we had a playmaking guard that could find Bamba for easy looks like Meer did for Dwight. That's one of the reasons I wanted to sign IT. Maybe Grant can be that for us off the bench. He is known for too much dribbling just like Augustine is though. Hopefully, he is more pass first at least.

Good video.

Say what you will about Dwight, he was not afraid of contact even when he was young.
GelbeWand09
Rookie
And1: 1,387

Post#182 » by GelbeWand09 » Mon Jul 9, 2018 5:46 pm

OrlandoNed wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
NotACat wrote:He's going to be SO much better once he puts on some more weight as well

Oh my gosh yes. Just look what a year of NBA physical development has done for Isaac. Give both of these guys a couple years to focus on their game and their body and watch out.

Isaac and Bamba really need to keep putting on more muscle in their lower body. Those pairs of toothpicks coming out of their shoes aren't gonna cut it. They both use their arms to great effect to swat shots, but with some more meat on their legs they will be more complete defenders being able to hold their ground and bang around in the paint.

Bamba yes, but no to Isaac for me. His speed & agility for a 7 footer is one of the main factors, what makes him so special on the defensive end. I prefer he keeps the ability to switch & recover & stay in front of guards. Sure he still needs a bit more muscle but in the way Garnett & KD did it.
Jameerthefear
Starter
And1: 1,716

Re: RE: Re: The Insane Potential of Mo Bamba 

Post#183 » by Jameerthefear » Mon Jul 9, 2018 5:46 pm

Instincts wrote:
Knightro wrote:One thing I liked from Bamba yesterday that I really didn’t like from him at Texas was his force as a screener.

I thought he set weak screens at Texas, barely making contact a lot of the time.

He was stepping into some really good screens and creating a lot of space for Briscoe and Caupain yesterday.

Generally speaking the more forceful Bamba plays, with screens being a big part of that, the better off he’ll be.

Encouraging sign.

May have been better than Texas, but I didn't see many solid NBA screens from Bamba in the first two games. He seems to be dancing around, instead settling and setting a solid screen. Not sure why he avoids contact like that, plenty of time to change that mentality though. Clifford should straighten that out fairly quickly.
I disagree he definitely set some solid screens in the first game.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 23,903

Post#184 » by Knightro » Mon Jul 9, 2018 6:46 pm

Instincts wrote:May have been better than Texas, but I didn't see many solid NBA screens from Bamba in the first two games. He seems to be dancing around, instead settling and setting a solid screen. Not sure why he avoids contact like that, plenty of time to change that mentality though. Clifford should straighten that out fairly quickly.

His screening appeared to get much worse in the second game which is unfortunate.

Bamba is always going to be more effective if he plays with force and purpose. The more he floats, the worse he's going to look.
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,041

Post#185 » by MagicStarwipe » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:18 am

MagicStarwipe wrote:
zaymon wrote:
Bamba has a long way to go, Howard was such a freak. If he can be 70% of Dwight pure force + 3 point shoot he will be amazing.

All the NBA footage there is taken directly from my old Howard mix I made. That's actually all second year footage, not rookie. But yes, people forget just how good Dwight was.

Here is the original video btw

Dwight had it up on his MySpace page for a while. Yes... MySpace :lol:
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,119

Post#186 » by pepe1991 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:08 am

Howard is still good player but his ego overshined his talent long time ago, and that's a shame
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,816

Post#187 » by drsd » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:23 pm

pepe1991 wrote:Howard is still good player but his ego overshined his talent long time ago, and that's a shame

He is a lock for the Hall of Fame, but the last 7 years of his balling is weird, and perhaps sad.
(edit: Hoard already has more career rebounds than Shaq had over his career :o )

Audi
Analyst
And1: 2,742

Post#188 » by Audi » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:41 pm

MagicStarwipe wrote:
MagicStarwipe wrote:
zaymon wrote:

All the NBA footage there is taken directly from my old Howard mix I made. That's actually all second year footage, not rookie. But yes, people forget just how good Dwight was.

99.9% of the offensive highlights are dunks.

In that regard, Bamba is already the better player.
Abra Cadabra, Razzmatazz, Slam-Dunk Sesame, Hocus Pocus, Alacazam, Gonna set the spirit free
Keeping The Original Orlando Magic Theme Song Alive
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,110

Post#189 » by zaymon » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:51 pm

Audi wrote:
MagicStarwipe wrote:
MagicStarwipe wrote:All the NBA footage there is taken directly from my old Howard mix I made. That's actually all second year footage, not rookie. But yes, people forget just how good Dwight was.

He was going to the basket with force. Bamba tried to do something similar and he couldnt pass first defender. Howard could pass the first one and dunk on 4 others.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,326

Post#190 » by PrimeThyme » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:55 pm

pepe1991 wrote:Howard is still good player but his ego overshined his talent long time ago, and that's a shame

He just lost his way at some point. When Howard came into the league he was like Isaac in alot of ways. A well-spoken religious kid who seemed to be well liked by everybody. He just let his ego and the people in his ear change his way of thinking at some point. He obviously regrets it now (as he admitted in that SI article last season), but it's too late for him to change peoples perception at this point.

He is still a surefire hall of famer, but his career could have been so much different if he would have stayed in Orlando imo. It is a shame.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,119

Post#191 » by pepe1991 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:10 pm

PrimeShaq wrote:

He just lost his way at some point. When Howard came into the league he was like Isaac in alot of ways. A well-spoken religious kid who seemed to be well liked by everybody. He just let his ego and the people in his ear change his way of thinking at some point. He obviously regrets it now (as he admitted in that SI article last season), but it's too late for him to change peoples perception at this point.

He is still a surefire hall of famer, but his career could have been so much different if he would have stayed in Orlando imo. It is a shame.

From playing perspectve he is still good, guy averaged 16,6 ppg on 12,5 rpg and 1,6 bpg, 55,5% FG

but his ego and drama and his attitude ruined him. I'm interested to see what he can do with Wizards.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
PrimeThyme
RealGM

Post#192 » by PrimeThyme » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:17 pm

zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,110

Post#193 » by zaymon » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:56 pm

PrimeShaq wrote:;t=4s

Bamba akward in his movements in comparison to tatum and embiid
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,085

Post#194 » by yoyojw17 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:05 pm

PrimeShaq wrote:;t=4s

lol... mamba makes Tatum look jacked! haha

He will be fine after a couple of seasons as he feels out. It will do wonders for bother his defense and offense.
PrimeThyme
RealGM

Post#195 » by PrimeThyme » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:53 pm

Read on Twitter
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 23,903

Post#196 » by Knightro » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:32 pm

PrimeShaq wrote:
Read on Twitter

Interestingly enough, the Magic have decided to more or less take the post up out of Bamba's game entirely during this summer. He has pretty much exclusively worked in pick and roll, pick and pop and dribble handoffs in the half court.

He wasn't very good at posting up at Texas, but I'm not sure I would moth ball it completely yet.
PrimeThyme
RealGM

Post#197 » by PrimeThyme » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:17 pm

This is actually a great artcile by Denton. Has some really good quotes from Drew Hanlen:

https://www.nba.com/magic/news/prominent-skills-coach-helping-bamba-become-more-polished-20180710

Drew Hanlen, the most prominent skills coach among budding NBA stars and someone who has played a major role in the successes of Joel Embiid, Jayson Tatum, Bradley Beal, Andrew Wiggins and Zach LaVine, drilled tirelessly with Bamba for the three months between the end of his college career at the University of Texas and the June 21st NBA Draft. That work not only allowed the 20-year-old Bamba to be the No. 6 draft pick by the Magic, but it has given him the confidence that he can ultimately become the kind of transformational player who might redefine how centers play in the NBA.

Hanlen, CEO of the California-based Pure Sweat Basketball skills academy, is certainly willing to give his endorsement to Bamba and the 7-footer’s pursuit to be the best player from the draft class of 2018.

``A hundred percent, he would be up there with the most improved guys that I’ve ever worked with, for sure,’’ Hanlen said candidly. ``We kind of looked at (his offseason workouts) like this was his Day 1 and his first day of training, and he came such a long, long way.

``I’ve been quoted as saying that he came longer in three months than any pre-draft guy I have had,’’ Hanlen added. ``That wasn’t a marketing strategy; that the truth because he has come so far. He’s in a good place and he’s still got a long way to go in getting better.’’

The star-starved Magic certainly agree with Hanlen’s praise and they are eager to reap the benefits of the growth that the rookie seems certain to make in the seasons to come. Bamba already possesses the longest wingspan ever recorded in NBA history (7 feet, 10 inches), and when you combine that with his willingness to work, his smarts on and off the court and his desire to be special, the Magic feel that they could have nabbed the jewel of the 2018 NBA Draft.

``We have a great, great group of scouts and they saw Mo do things that he wasn’t always able to show in (University of Texas) games,’’ said Magic President of Basketball Operations Jeff Weltman, who was overjoyed when Bamba was available for Orlando in the NBA Draft at No. 6. ``They saw him in practice. We all kind of projected him out from where he is now and liked it. And, as we always say, `If the person is of high character, then the talent will be there.’ We always felt that he had both boxes checked.’’

Bamba, the well-spoken, well-travelled and well-read type rarely seen in the NBA, thinks it’s only a matter of time before his physical tools, raw talent and desire allow him to reach the league’s top tiers of big men. He’s shown glimpses of those abilities in this week’s MGM Resorts NBA Summer League, leading the Magic to a 2-1 mark so far with his scoring (26 points), rebounding (16 boards), 3-pointers made (two), blocked shots (seven) and countless defensive denials with that towering wingspan. This, he insists, is just a small sample of what’s to come in the years ahead.

``I’m focused on Summer League now, but I’ve definitely already set lofty goals for myself that are within reach,’’ Bamba said following his strong start in summer play with the Magic. ``I want to be the guy who comes in and has an impact immediately. One of my goals is to be Defensive Player of the Year. One of my goals is to be Rookie of the Year. And one of my long-term goals is to be walking across that stage with a jacket on and a nice, little patch on it that says `Hall of Fame.’

``There’s definitely some work to do between here and there and one thing that I learned from Coach (Shaka) Smart at Texas is that there is really never a finish line,’’ he added.
NavalAviator94
Analyst
And1: 1,456

Post#198 » by NavalAviator94 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:25 am

zaymon wrote:
Audi wrote:
MagicStarwipe wrote:

He was going to the basket with force. Bamba tried to do something similar and he couldnt pass first defender. Howard could pass the first one and dunk on 4 others.

People forget how big and strong of a presence he is. I had the opportunity one time as a season ticket holder to go out with the team when they announce the players. As they come up and high 5 I was part of that. It was way cool and you realize just how big these guys really are. Dwight was on another level than any of the players. When he came through with the high 5 he about took my arm off running by. I've met Shaq but Dwight was broader and really strong. He could push and dunk on anyone he was that good. Unfortunately we remember the nightmare.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,002

Post#199 » by fendilim » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:17 pm

Instincts wrote:
PrimeShaq wrote:
zaymon wrote:

That video just shows you how important Meer was for Dwight's development. Dwight wasn't featured in the offense early on in Orlando and Bamba obviously won't be either.

Read on Twitter

I just wish we had a playmaking guard that could find Bamba for easy looks like Meer did for Dwight. That's one of the reasons I wanted to sign IT. Maybe Grant can be that for us off the bench. He is known for too much dribbling just like Augustine is though. Hopefully, he is more pass first at least.

Good video.

Say what you will about Dwight, he was not afraid of contact even when he was young.

With the number of children he has, pretty sure he isnt afraid of contact off the court as well. ;)
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,113

Post#200 » by Def Swami » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:02 pm

That video reminded me of how much fun I had watching that '04-'05/'05-'06 teams. Howard started and played 30+ mins every night. Even though that team was bad, they were just fun to watch Howard's potential was exciting. He was surrounded by good passers (Francis, Nelson, even Arroyo and Dooling) to help him out.

Return to Orlando Magic