ImageImageImageImage

Next pg

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,107

Re: Next pg 

Post#21 » by tiderulz » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:14 pm

SuperDario wrote:What are the odds Troy Caupain sees big minutes at point? He has looked pretty good in Summer League. I watched him quite a bit when he played for Cincy.

backup PG at best. zero possibility of seeing big minutes.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#22 » by tiderulz » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:16 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:I cant see Portland trading Lillard.

People said the same about Paul George and Kawhi Leonard. George was traded last year and Kawhi is nearly out the door in San Antonio. Nothing the team can do once a star player becomes disgruntled and publicly states that they want out. Lillard hasn't done that yet, but rumors continue to grow that he wants out. Even starting to see Lillard to the Lakers ideas being tossed around.

He very well could get traded, if things don't improve in Portland.

Lillard much more invested in the community than Kawhi or George.
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,049

Post#23 » by GeorgeMarcus » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:16 pm

JBSouthpaw wrote:
SuperDario wrote:
JBSouthpaw wrote:
There are 3 PGs on NBA contracts ahead of him, so I'd say the odds aren't good, unless you were taking about Lakeland.

Which 3 would that be? Augustine, Grant and Briscoe?

Yeah. Not saying that is ranking their talent, I thought Caupain played pretty good overall in SL.

I'd like to see Clifford give bigger minutes to guys like Briscoe/Caupain with higher upside, but you're probably right as long as Augustine/Grant are getting paid.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by GeorgeMarcus » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:19 pm

tiderulz wrote:
SuperDario wrote:What are the odds Troy Caupain sees big minutes at point? He has looked pretty good in Summer League. I watched him quite a bit when he played for Cincy.

Who is the big minute option then? I pray it's not Augustine

Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#25 » by Nemesis21 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:40 pm

tiderulz wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:I cant see Portland trading Lillard.

People said the same about Paul George and Kawhi Leonard. George was traded last year and Kawhi is nearly out the door in San Antonio. Nothing the team can do once a star player becomes disgruntled and publicly states that they want out. Lillard hasn't done that yet, but rumors continue to grow that he wants out. Even starting to see Lillard to the Lakers ideas being tossed around.

He very well could get traded, if things don't improve in Portland.

Lillard much more invested in the community than Kawhi or George.

:roll: That's your reasoning? :rofl:
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#26 » by tiderulz » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:54 pm

SuperDario wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

DJ will be the starter, Grant and Briscoe fighting for the #2 spot, with i would guess the edge right now to Grant.

as a starter last year, DJ was 12 ppg, 5 apg, 42% from 3. not world beating, but workable.
swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,153

Post#27 » by swarlesbarkley » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:58 pm

I'm interested to see how Grant and Briscoe perform. Less interested in DJ since he's a known commodity. If Grant or Briscoe don't blow up, I'd like to see a trade of Vuc and/or Fournier for a PG sometime this year if we're on track to win 12-17 more games this season.
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by GeorgeMarcus » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:04 pm

tiderulz wrote:
SuperDario wrote:
tiderulz wrote:backup PG at best. zero possibility of seeing big minutes.

DJ will be the starter, Grant and Briscoe fighting for the #2 spot, with i would guess the edge right now to Grant.

as a starter last year, DJ was 12 ppg, 5 apg, 42% from 3. not world beating, but workable.

It's not that Augustine is unplayable, it's that he's an aging score-first PG better suited for a spark off the bench. You guys are better off with a natural point to grow with/make the most out of Fournier, Isaac, Gordon and Bamba. I almost prefer Grant to Augustine as a younger and more seamless (albeit underwhelming) fit.

yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,092

Post#29 » by yoyojw17 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:06 pm

swarlesbarkley wrote:I'm interested to see how Grant and Briscoe perform. Less interested in DJ since he's a known commodity. If Grant or Briscoe don't blow up, I'd like to see a trade of Vuc and/or Fournier for a PG sometime this year if we're on track to win 12-17 more games this season.

fournier is our 1 reliable shooter.... he should be one of the last players to be moved along with the youngems. Vuc is definitely the carrot that will be dangled hoping for some biters
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#30 » by tiderulz » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:11 pm

SuperDario wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
SuperDario wrote:

It's not that Augustine is unplayable, it's that he's an aging score-first PG better suited for a spark off the bench. You guys are better off with a natural point to grow with/make the most out of Fournier, Isaac, Gordon and Bamba. I almost prefer Grant to Augustine as a younger and more seamless (albeit underwhelming) fit.

pass-first PG's dont work in the league very well anymore.

Here are PG's around DJ's assist mark - Jrue Holiday, Kemba, DSJ, Kyrie, Bledsoe, Dragic, Schroder.
Here are some less than 7 apg - Lowry, Lillard
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by GeorgeMarcus » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:22 pm

tiderulz wrote:
SuperDario wrote:
tiderulz wrote:DJ will be the starter, Grant and Briscoe fighting for the #2 spot, with i would guess the edge right now to Grant.

Here are PG's around DJ's assist mark - Jrue Holiday, Kemba, DSJ, Kyrie, Bledsoe, Dragic, Schroder.

I wouldn't say they don't work anymore. Guys like Holiday/Kemba/Kyrie are essentially SG's and should be paired with play-makers to maximize their efficacy. Others like Dragic and Lowry and smooth facilitators whose assist numbers don't accurately reflect their ability to run the offense.

tiderulz
RealGM

Post#32 » by tiderulz » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:44 pm

SuperDario wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
SuperDario wrote:

I wouldn't say they don't work anymore. Guys like Holiday/Kemba/Kyrie are essentially SG's and should be paired with play-makers to maximize their efficacy. Others like Dragic and Lowry and smooth facilitators whose assist numbers don't accurately reflect their ability to run the offense.

the only real pass-first PG's i can think of are Rondo and CP3.
spinedoc
RealGM
And1: 4,164

Post#33 » by spinedoc » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:46 pm

tiderulz wrote:
SuperDario wrote:
tiderulz wrote:DJ will be the starter, Grant and Briscoe fighting for the #2 spot, with i would guess the edge right now to Grant.

No offense Tide, but statements like that make me very sad. Pretty soon the ball won't even be round. Its a statement on the further de-evolution of the game, like position-less basketball. When exactly would it be okay to accept the idea that a pg that dishes assists would not work in the sport of basketball. I think I know what you're talking about, and I'm not trying to single you out, but it still makes me very sad. Peace.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#34 » by tiderulz » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:13 pm

spinedoc wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
SuperDario wrote:

No offense Tide, but statements like that make me very sad. Pretty soon the ball won't even be round. Its a statement on the further de-evolution of the game, like position-less basketball. When exactly would it be okay to accept the idea that a pg that dishes assists would not work in the sport of basketball. I think I know what you're talking about, and I'm not trying to single you out, but it still makes me very sad. Peace.

PG's who's main or only role to pass the ball just dont work anymore. They need to be able to create space with some semblance of shooting and be able to score when ignored. the role of the pass-first PG just isnt a high value anymore
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,950

Post#35 » by Last Guardian » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:17 pm

I'm not sure how much the game has changed, or just what the current skillbase is. Give me a great passing PG and a dominant post C, I think you are immediately a contender even today. Heck Philly kind of has that formula and they are very good and I would love to have their team.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#36 » by Skin » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:34 pm

We got a new thread about PGs based on us getting Lillard? Hahahaha happy Friday everyone! :lol:
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
vip3r
Ballboy
And1: 36

Post#37 » by vip3r » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:08 pm

My theory is that they really wanted to trade for Rozier but couldn't. So they got Grant hoping he can become a similar player.
If Grant doesn't work out this season I suspect we will make Rozier a large offer in FA next year and hope Boston won't match.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,917

Post#38 » by drsd » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:45 pm

Knightro wrote:I do think the plan is pretty straightforward.

Whether they’re right or wrong remains to be seen, but I think Weltman and Hammond believe this team is going to improve by 10-12 maybe even 15 wins on health, Clifford > Vogel and continued development of Gordon and Isaac specifically.

So if/when the record improves, that will be a clear sign to players and agents that tanking is over and this is a team on the rise. Again, whether this is accurate or not is mostly irrelevant as long as people believe it is.

So armed with a perception that the team just needs “one more piece” to become a consistent playoff team, summer of 2019 is when they’ll look to acquire a PG in free agency or in a trade since they’ll pretty much be able to create a max contract slot assuming they stretch Mozgov.

If they need a max slot to chase a PG next summer, stretching Timo is the no brainer thing to do because it gives the 11.14M in immediate cap space for 2019 and only lowers their 2020 and 2021 cap space by 5.56M which will pretty much be mitigated by the cap increases anyway

Will that work? Is it even a smart plan? Both of those things are totally and legitimately debatable.

Articulate and well founded. With Gordon's declining cap numbers every year, stretching a bought-out Mozgov can be feasible.

All that said...

I would at least consider Mozgov for Schroder if the Hawks are just looking to straight dump out of his contract a year early.

I look back at Schroder’s numbers from a 16-17 when Atlanta was still a playoff team and wasn’t outright tanking/letting him do whatever he wanted because they wanted to lose anyway.

18 points 6 assists a night on a 451/.340/.855 split. Those are more than workable numbers for a playoff team. I’m throwing out his 17-18 season because he was ball hogging to an insane degree with the Hawks intentionally trying to lose.

I don’t *think* this front office would trade for Schroder *this* offseason without seeing how their current 2019 plan shakes out first, but maybe I’m wrong.

The Hawks must trade Schröder. Orlando is a fit for his style of game. Augustin is easily tradable to a bunch of teams. All together, why not take the chance? At some point management must always take the leap-of-faith jump on the roster they wish for.

All that said: I see extreme cautiousness to this season and thus see patience will win over taking chances.

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,359

Post#39 » by Knightro » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:58 pm

cedric76 wrote:Schroeder for mozdof?

You d get killed if u offer that on the atl board

Why on earth would they do that?

For ross or vuc maybe but Timmy? Come on

Mozgov for Shroeder would get them out of Schroder's contract a year early and (and this is why it's risky for Orlando) would allow them to immediately get rid of a malcontent that they probably don't want or need to be around their young players.

My guess is that the Magic would kick in a not that valuable draft pick to grease the skids.
MagicFanCincy
Freshman
And1: 14

Post#40 » by MagicFanCincy » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:48 pm

Question for all you guys pushing for a point guard?

Do you want to be mediocre through the next decade? Or lay back a little bit to see if we can develop a young PG in tandem with our front line and/or get one in the lottery 2019 or 2020 and then become highly competitive in about 4 years?

Return to Orlando Magic