ImageImageImageImage

Official Speculation Thread ‘17-18’: XVIII: The Long Wait Continues

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

PennytoShaq
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 5,218

Re: Official Speculation Thread ‘17-18’: XVIII: The Long Wait Continues 

Post#1961 » by PennytoShaq » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:28 am

pepe1991 wrote:
PennytoShaq wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:Prime Thyme is saying clear and obvious fact.
Instad of bottoming out and being simply -sorry a** tankers last year (and this one) Magic made conscious decision to be threadmill team. Not bad enough to be on bottom, not good enough to be good.

Everbody knows that 57 years old Clifford was bad decision.
Everybody knows that Vučević is complimentary player who will once again thrown as go to guy.
Everybody knows Magic will be out of playoff race by mid December.
Everybody knows that Vučević and Ross won't resign.

So why pretend that this team is one Anthony Davis/Durant/Lebron away from turning a corner when they constantly put themselfs in position to botch that type of lottery jackpots?
It's no brainer that superstar is instant game changer , instad of going for that guy Magic are perfeclly fine with drafting guys like Isaac who's celiing has been downgraded by fact that now he will never become C under Magic, and that might be best position for him anyway.

Magic always make that type of decisions. It's not just Isaac.
Magic drafted Oladipo than promoted Evan as SG.
Magic drafted Hezonja in same year they gave Harris contract.
Magic saw potential in Gordon than traded for Ibaka and kicked him off position.
Now with Isaac they are kicking Gordon back out of his natural position, in same time Isaac has zero perimeter skills on offense and would be probably better used as small ball C,but since Magic went big ,with Bamba he will never be able to play it.

Making an absolute statement does not make it a fact. The sooner you accept that, the easier time you will have.

Example - Not everyone knows that Clifford was a bad hire. We haven’t even played game 1 and you marry yourself to ridiculous statements like this. Clifford could very well be the coach who teaches these guys how to play effective NBA basketball and gets rid of the crappy freelance habits some of these guys have built. What would a “tank”coach have done? Looks like the plan is to have Clifford coach the team and then after him, develop a young assistant to take over like Nurse did for Toronto. Doesn’t seem like a bad decision, and it’s definitely not something that can be decided upon before the season even starts.

Suddenly you want to act like Isaac is only going to be good as a Center in the NBA? Man, that’s just embarrassing hate, but has been the norm with you and any player you don’t like. Of course, your track record has been spotty at best. I think many people here saw your endless rants on Mario on OPP. You are not exactly a future NBA GM, so let’s not try and play pretend here.

Last year around this time you stated that AG could never shoot the 3, and yet he ended up shooting over 33% - which was a huge league from sub 28 the year before. But now you want to double down and say Isaac has zero perimeter skills - because why not right? Let’s just say anything and hope it happens, and if not, scramble for stats that show a player who made you look foolish is still not good in your eyes? This summer when Isaac showed some signs of offense you immediately shouted everyone down and caused daily arguments because you were so upset to see that a Magic player actually went against your “projections”.

We really are going to complain about Isaac kicking AG out of his “natural position” after saying all year that AG did “not deserve max” and after many of us told you he would most likely get 17-18 a year (he did), and now suddenly the concern is for AG’s future here? That’s amazing.

The FO resigned AG on a fair deal to see how these guys will play together and then to trade one of it doesn’t work out. It’s pretty obvious. AG had 18 a game last year and will probably average 18-20 this year while being forced to play more efficiently by Cliffordwhich means that he is an actual trade asset for us, unlike Vuc and DJ. Keeping a young asset on a good deal is never a bad move by a FO. If the worse case is that AG and ISaac play next to each other - cry me a river. Honestly, it’s just reaching to find a reason to complain at this point.

Making an absolute statement does not make it a fact. The sooner you accept that, the easier time you will have.

Really? But you do it all the time with blind defense of every move ( or lack of moves) that Weltman and Hammond did. Litearlly findin excuse after excuse for everything,acting there is master plan in place , without single evidence of that.

Example - Not everyone knows that Clifford was a bad hire. We haven’t even played game 1 and you marry yourself to ridiculous statements like this. Clifford could very well be the coach who teaches these guys how to play effective NBA basketball and gets rid of the crappy freelance habits some of these guys have built

See this is why i hate posts like this. You post clear lie ,that you can't support yet you act like it's true. Clifford by all accounts CAN'T run effective offense and for career he is below .500 as coach. That makes him inferior to guys like Frank Vogel who won 58% of games. But heeey,who needs fact when he can post opinions as facts , right Penny?

Suddenly you want to act like Isaac is only going to be good as a Center in the NBA? Man, that’s just embarrassing hate, but has been the norm with you and any player you don’t like. Of course, your track record has been spotty at best. I think many people here saw your endless rants on Mario on OPP. You are not exactly a future NBA GM, so let’s not try and play pretend here.

Funny, this summer i put up your old qoutes in one debate proving that you are wish-washy about everything and you switch sides in arguments fast. As usual, sneaky personal insults from poster who reported me for doing one few months ago, time to return favor ;)
Isaac thing, guy is 7 footer that can't really do much on perimeter, but has ability to defend well and block shots. Everything Cs need nowdays. Clear as a day. Skin made whole "Isaac is a C" thread year ago.

Last year around this time you stated that AG could never shoot the 3, and yet he ended up shooting over 33% - which was a huge league from sub 28 the year before.

Did you sleep through 2018 where Gordon shot 27% ofr 3 over 4 months,yet finished with 33% due smoking hot one month?
Did you sleep through season where Gordon was one of worst iso scorers mostly because he was settling for terrible step back 3s?

As Prime Thyme said, your snarky , "im better than everybody" type of posting is annoying as hell. Also you are picking fights with everybody last few weeks because you feel need to defend every single move that front office did in last year and half .Even defending moves that did not happen.

I didn't even going to reply but you really had to throw sneaky personal attack didn't you?

Amazing how you complain about personal attacks and lies when you do the exact same thing.

You pick fights and argue constantly here as well. World class hypocrisy. Constantly putting words in ppls mouths and then upset when it happens to you? Hilarious. Im wishy-washy? Try harder man. You just flat out make things up constantly. Its unreal.

I dont care what you think about me. You have lived on message boards arguing about stuff for years. I saw how you were on the opp. Funny now how you cant handle the same treatment. Thats your issue to deal with, don’t project it on me. Speaking of annoying as hell - Your raging, non stop pessimism and never ending need to be right and validate yourself at all costs is right up there in the same category.
Catledge
Starter
And1: 834

Post#1962 » by Catledge » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:32 am

OrlandoDream wrote:
Skybox wrote:Clippers just waived Jawun Evans....didn't a few people here think he was Chris Paul's JV version? All kidding aside, should we grab him for next to zip or is he just out of the NBA?

He prob wont get PT on this team. CLif loves DJ and his backup right now is Grant followed by Briscoe. Briscoe is the one I want to see. He needs to get his chance.

One unexpected positive from preseason was how well Grant played. I was expecting something a lot worse than how he has looked so far, so I'm not really that disappointed that we didn't get to see a lot of Briscoe.
MagicFan4Lyfe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,904

Post#1963 » by MagicFan4Lyfe » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:35 am

bigpimpatl wrote:
Knightro wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:As Prime Thyme said, your snarky , "im better than everybody" type of posting is annoying as hell. Also you are picking fights with everybody last few weeks because you feel need to defend every single move that front office did in last year and half .Even defending moves that did not happen.

I don't mean to speak for anyone else, but at the end of the day the extreme pessimism towards EVERYTHING on this board just gets tiresome.

I'm not suggesting everyone should support every single thing the Magic do no matter what, but there are ways to question what they're doing without being insufferable.

Some of us want to be optimistic about things and try and actually enjoy the 30th season of Magic basketball.

but facts are facts; I can't really disagree with anything pepe said.

I've lost count since how many years ago we've been mentioned in any relevant NBA conversation. Being a fan of this team has been really tough.

1. Dwightmare
2. How we cannot properly draft and develop our players
3. Sir Charles was going to be our PBO

What else has their been to talk about the Magic since 2012?
Orlando Magic are BACK!!!
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,151

Post#1964 » by Def Swami » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:43 am

Read on Twitter
PennytoShaq
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 5,218

Post#1965 » by PennytoShaq » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:48 am

Knightro wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:As Prime Thyme said, your snarky , "im better than everybody" type of posting is annoying as hell. Also you are picking fights with everybody last few weeks because you feel need to defend every single move that front office did in last year and half .Even defending moves that did not happen.

I don't mean to speak for anyone else, but at the end of the day the extreme pessimism towards EVERYTHING on this board just gets tiresome.

I'm not suggesting everyone should support every single thing the Magic do no matter what, but there are ways to question what they're doing without being insufferable.

Some of us want to be optimistic about things and try and actually enjoy the 30th season of Magic basketball.

Exactly. Its not snarky or thinking you are better than anyone simply because you want to enjoy watching the magic play instead of trying to post how everything will happen before it even does.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,972

Post#1966 » by MagicMatic » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:54 am

Def Swami wrote:
Read on Twitter

Get it over with already.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,380

Post#1967 » by PrimeThyme » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:57 am

Knightro wrote:

Not addressing this to anyone in particular, but I think for a lot of us the constant defending of this front office gets tiring as well. Let's be honest, these last 5 years and especially these last 3 years have been the worst in the franchise's history. There really just is very little to be excited about (for me). This will be the 3rd straight year we are rolling out a starting lineup that has yet to eclipse 30 wins in a season, we hired a recently fired coach that runs a boring style of offense with a career less than .500 record, and pretty much all signs point to another abysmal 27-30 win season that puts us outside of the top 5 again.

This last month I think things have been particularly pessimistic because most of the talk has been centered around this upcoming season and for most of us there is very little if anything at all outside of Isaac (whos already been hurt) and Bamba (who will be brought along slowly) to get excited about. I have been very supportive and am excited about certain things this FO has done like the drafting of Isaac and Bamba (dedicated two threads to my excitement for them), the AG resigning, and some of the reshaping of the basketball operations that Weltman, in particular, has done but as whole, it has been very underwhelming. Combine their overall underwhelming start with these last 6 years and I think there is a reason for quite a bit of pessimism.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,628

Post#1968 » by SOUL » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:20 am

MagicMatic wrote:
Def Swami wrote:
Read on Twitter

Get it over with already.

There's no reason to move AG, especially before Vuc or anybody else. It would reek of a Harris trade move. No matter how good or not Harris is, he's certainly more valuable than Brandon Jennings and Ilyasova. Only if there's a deal that comes back where we will get a good, young player or in a package for a star or something.

Also for somebody that was never supposed to have a refined offense in the NBA, people sure do have crazy expectations for AG offensively in the league once he showed that he could do more than just be a garbageman sort of offensive player. I feel like there's a way to temper expectations while also hoping he improves in certain areas.
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,050

Post#1969 » by MagicStarwipe » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:25 am

Bigger sh*tshow... the Orlando Magic franchise or the Orlando Magic Real GM forum? :lol:
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
DjPuffnStuff
Sophomore
And1: 114

Post#1970 » by DjPuffnStuff » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:53 am

Optimists vs Pessimists: Orlando Magic Real GM version.

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,298

Post#1971 » by pepe1991 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:51 am

bigpimpatl wrote:
Knightro wrote:

I've lost count since how many years ago we've been mentioned in any relevant NBA conversation. Being a fan of this team has been really tough.

Last time anybody outside Magic fans even thought about a team was when Hennigan traded Howard at October 10th 2012. It was over 6 years ago.

On that night Hannigan said
“A primary goal for our basketball team is to achieve sustainability while maintaining a long-term vision. We feel this deal puts us in a position to begin building in that direction,” said Hennigan. “In addition to the six players joining our team, we will be in a position to maximize our salary cap flexibility in the near future, as well as utilize the multiple draft picks we have acquired going forward.”

So, Weltman isn't first Magic GM that sounds smarts when he talks.
I don't even know how i got myself into a debate here, i only posted Magic starting lineups in last 4 years, pointing that Evan, Vuc and Gordon were starters in all of them.

In general,from NBA perspective and 30 teams, Magic are simply irrelevant.

Sports illustrated made after 2017 season hopless ranking and Magic were 3rd , link here if anybody cares
https://www.si.com/nba/2017/03/22/nba-hopeless-rebuilding-teams-knicks-nets-lakers

Zach Lowe wrote huge article about playoff expetations for every team, Magic were ranked, ofc, in "BAD" and this is all he wrote about team
• There is a version of the Magic that wins 35 games. I'm not convinced we see it, or that the coaching staff lands upon it early enough. They are another obvious candidate for a tanky trade.

• The rest of these teams are bad, and I've talked about them in other places. Let's get started already.

Bleacher report best- worst case scenario article for every team

Best Case

New head coach Steve Clifford proves a big-man whisperer and somehow strikes the right balance to maximize the impacts of Aaron Gordon, Jonathan Isaac and Mohamed Bamba. Gordon provides 20 points every night, while Isaac and Bamba spearhead a climb from a tie for 19th in defensive efficiency into the upper third.

The Magic find a defense-driven identity built around youth, length and athleticism. They rarely win games—Nikola Vucevic, Jonathon Simmons and/or D.J. Augustin are moved for assets—but should have a shot at a high-profile scoring prospect such as Duke's R.J. Barrett or Indiana's Romeo Langford.

Worst Case

The Gordon-Isaac-Bamba frontcourt proves as puzzling as it looks on paper. Clifford abandons hope of making it work, gives Vucevic the bulk of big-man minutes and runs the offense through Evan Fournier. Melvin Frazier, Wesley Iwundu and Jerian Grant get similarly buried behind older players, and Orlando's future forecast fails to brighten.

The Magic flirt with 30 victories, meaning they'll likely draft in the back half of the top 10 again.

So it's not just me or Magic Matic or J-ragg or Prime Thyme posting things like that. Whole nba world says same things about Magic. You look at bleacher report best case, and even in article it's pointed out that best case for Magic is to tank. :lol:
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,972

Post#1972 » by MagicMatic » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:00 am

pepe1991 wrote:
bigpimpatl wrote:
Knightro wrote:

Last time anybody outside Magic fans even thought about a team was when Hennigan traded Howard at October 10th 2012. It was over 6 years ago.

On that night Hannigan said
“A primary goal for our basketball team is to achieve sustainability while maintaining a long-term vision. We feel this deal puts us in a position to begin building in that direction,” said Hennigan. “In addition to the six players joining our team, we will be in a position to maximize our salary cap flexibility in the near future, as well as utilize the multiple draft picks we have acquired going forward.”

So, Weltman isn't first Magic GM that sounds smarts when he talks.
I don't even know how i got myself into a debate here, i only posted Magic starting lineups in last 4 years, pointing that Evan, Vuc and Gordon were starters in all of them.

In general,from NBA perspective and 30 teams, Magic are simply irrelevant.

Sports illustrated made after 2017 season hopless ranking and Magic were 3rd , link here if anybody cares
https://www.si.com/nba/2017/03/22/nba-hopeless-rebuilding-teams-knicks-nets-lakers

Zach Lowe wrote huge article about playoff expetations for every team, Magic were ranked, ofc, in "BAD" and this is all he wrote about team
• There is a version of the Magic that wins 35 games. I'm not convinced we see it, or that the coaching staff lands upon it early enough. They are another obvious candidate for a tanky trade.

• The rest of these teams are bad, and I've talked about them in other places. Let's get started already.

Bleacher report best- worst case scenario article for every team

Best Case

New head coach Steve Clifford proves a big-man whisperer and somehow strikes the right balance to maximize the impacts of Aaron Gordon, Jonathan Isaac and Mohamed Bamba. Gordon provides 20 points every night, while Isaac and Bamba spearhead a climb from a tie for 19th in defensive efficiency into the upper third.

The Magic find a defense-driven identity built around youth, length and athleticism. They rarely win games—Nikola Vucevic, Jonathon Simmons and/or D.J. Augustin are moved for assets—but should have a shot at a high-profile scoring prospect such as Duke's R.J. Barrett or Indiana's Romeo Langford.

Worst Case

The Gordon-Isaac-Bamba frontcourt proves as puzzling as it looks on paper. Clifford abandons hope of making it work, gives Vucevic the bulk of big-man minutes and runs the offense through Evan Fournier. Melvin Frazier, Wesley Iwundu and Jerian Grant get similarly buried behind older players, and Orlando's future forecast fails to brighten.

The Magic flirt with 30 victories, meaning they'll likely draft in the back half of the top 10 again.

So it's not just me or Magic Matic or J-ragg or Prime Thyme posting things like that. Whole nba world says same things about Magic.

The likelihood of the “worst case” in those scenarios is higher by far. Bamba isn’t starting as the #6 pick, JI has barely played minutes / been injured in year 2, Vuc is still starting, and AG looks just as inconsistent as he always has been.

I also really enjoyed -
“They rarely win games—Nikola Vucevic, Jonathon Simmons and/or D.J. Augustin are moved for assets—but should have a shot at a high-profile scoring prospect such as Duke's R.J. Barrett or Indiana's Romeo Langford.”

Yeah right. This is the Orlando Magic. They’ll do the exact opposite and a handful of fans will somehow justify their decisions while the rest of us think “WTF... again??? You can’t be serious.” When management allows the seasoned no-nonsense coach (Skiles, Vogel, Clifford) to ride Vuc, Evan, and co. into the sunset of a playoffless postseason one last time before the majority of the rosters contracts expire. Can’t wait for all that capspace...
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,924

Post#1973 » by drsd » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:21 am

pepe1991 wrote:In general,from NBA perspective and 30 teams, Magic are simply irrelevant.

Mathematically this has the Magic irrelevant to Orlando.

I would think that at least Orlando has its own team as relevant.

Catledge
Starter
And1: 834

Post#1974 » by Catledge » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:53 am

PrimeThyme wrote:This last month I think things have been particularly pessimistic because most of the talk has been centered around this upcoming season and for most of us there is very little if anything at all outside of Isaac (whos already been hurt) and Bamba (who will be brought along slowly) to get excited about. I have been very supportive and am excited about certain things this FO has done like the drafting of Isaac and Bamba (dedicated two threads to my excitement for them), the AG resigning, and some of the reshaping of the basketball operations that Weltman, in particular, has done but as whole, it has been very underwhelming. Combine their overall underwhelming start with these last 6 years and I think there is a reason for quite a bit of pessimism.

I think that most of us agree with you about most of this, but I also think most of us are ready to move onto the next conversation.

Yes, we have sucked for a while, and it looks pretty likely that we are going to suck again. But with the season about to start, I'm ready to focus on what we have and be a fan for at least a few weeks.

I'm not trying to tell you to shut up or anything. I'm just trying to explain why I (and I suspect others) don't find all the negative ranting very appealing at this time of the year even if we don't necessarily disagree with some of your primary conclusions.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,631

Post#1975 » by Skybox » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:44 am

Now that the season is here...I don't care. I'd rather follow trade talk and draft analysis...sad. :)
AddiFB
Veteran
And1: 2,546

Post#1976 » by AddiFB » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:26 am

I think there needs to be a new speculation thread... the new season is almost here...

Official Speculation Thread ‘18-19’: XIX: A faint hope of resurgence
Official Speculation Thread ‘18-19’: XIX: The treadmill keeps rollin' rollin' rollin'
Official Speculation Thread ‘18-19’: XIX: Buddyball feat. 13 other players
Official Speculation Thread ‘18-19’: XIX: Masochistic entertainment
- Orlando Magic fan since 1991 -
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,360

Post#1977 » by Knightro » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:56 am

Catledge wrote:I think that most of us agree with you about most of this, but I also think most of us are ready to move onto the next conversation.

Yes, we have sucked for a while, and it looks pretty likely that we are going to suck again. But with the season about to start, I'm ready to focus on what we have and be a fan for at least a few weeks.

I'm not trying to tell you to shut up or anything. I'm just trying to explain why I (and I suspect others) don't find all the negative ranting very appealing at this time of the year even if we don't necessarily disagree with some of your primary conclusions.

Pretty much this.

People are upset. People are frustrated. People don’t like the direction of organization.

I get it.

Unfortunately, this isn’t NBA2K. You can’t just simulate to the end because you’re upset at how things might go. This season is happening and I, for one, have decided to try and focus on positive things I think could develop.

I know this team isn’t going to win the NBA championship this year. I also know there’s a very good chance they don’t even make the playoffs this year. But it doesn’t mean there’s not things that I would like to see happen.

I want to see if Clifford can get through to these guys, specifically Gordon, in a way Vogel could not.

I want to see if Clifford can implement his system of dominating the defensive glass, defending without fouling and not turning the ball over.

I want to see if that system is even still viable for NBA success. Clifford already has two major improvement seasons under his belt (21 wins the year before he got there to 43 his first season and 33 wins in year 2 to 48 wins year 3). Can he do it a third time?

I want to see Isaac stay healthy and start to see some signs of his offensive game progressing. I am fully confident he'll be a very disruptive defensive talent.

I want to see if Isaac and Gordon can share the front court effectively as starters, both offensively and defensively.

I want to see if Bamba can pick things up quick enough to where the team is comfortable moving Vuc at the trade deadline or at the very least comfortable with making him they starting center for next season.

I want to see if there’s any untapped potential in Martin and Grant since, in theory, they’re coming into their prime age years.

I want to see if Iwundu or Frazier can continue to develop their offensive skill sets to the point where the team could potentially use one of both of them to replace Ross and/or Simmons next year.

I want to see if Evan can re-find the form he showed two years ago and be a more efficient and effective offensive threat while trying harder on D than he did last year.

I want to see if Simmons can pick up at least one assist the season on one of his hundreds of blind drives to the basket.

I know going in the odds are very unlikely they reach 40 wins. I’m not a homer. But that doesn’t mean I’m not going to watch every game for things that I would like to see for this year and future years.
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,141

Post#1978 » by rcklsscognition » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:02 pm

I was looking through this awesome NBA almanac for the upcoming season I found on reddit and noticed Dwight last year was top 10 in screen assists per game. Would be interesting to see if Clifford brings that play here to Orlando. There are some other cool stats and info here on the league in general and some on the Magic:

NBA Almanac 2018-2019 (From Reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/9omj43/oc_20182019_nba_almanac/?utm_content=title&utm_medium=hot&utm_source=reddit&utm_name=nba)

View and Download:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AVhepr4OjtgymXAneiula834g51YzJDc/view

Also possibly relevant, but personnel dictated:

Clifford produced the 6th best PPG from a bench player in the NBA. Top 10 in secondary assists (Walker). Top 5 in restricted FGs made. Had a top 5 post up player and a top 5 spot up shooter.

Also produced the 10th best 5 man lineup when ranked for net rating and that was based more heavily on their offense being good than the defense.

Damn, this is a 326 page document. There is so much stuff to go through.

JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,273

Post#1979 » by JBSouthpaw » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:04 pm

AddiFB wrote:I think there needs to be a new speculation thread... the new season is almost here...

Official Speculation Thread ‘18-19’: XIX: A faint hope of resurgence
Official Speculation Thread ‘18-19’: XIX: The treadmill keeps rollin' rollin' rollin'
Official Speculation Thread ‘18-19’: XIX: Buddyball feat. 13 other players
Official Speculation Thread ‘18-19’: XIX: Masochistic entertainment

Makes me think of Milestones in the season that interest me:

Record after Nov. (23 games in)
Record at half walf (Jan 9th)
Trade deadline moves (Feb. 7 now before the allstar game)
anyone participating in the ASG (feb 17)
after all star game - what do we do now?
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,360

Post#1980 » by Knightro » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:31 pm

Orlando trades Nikola Vucevic but keeps Aaron Gordon

And thus marks at least the third time I've predicted a Vucevic trade. I might be wrong again! Vooch is a good player. His ability to facilitate from the elbow -- something he improves every season -- compensates at least a bit for Orlando's point guard sinkhole. His jumper makes it feasible for Steve Clifford to play Gordon, Jonathan Isaac, and Vucevic at the same time. He can mentor Mo Bamba.

But Vucevic's contract is finally expiring. If you are going to lose a good player for nothing, you have to at least try to get something back for him. Orlando doesn't want long-term salary, so they might not be able to find a suitable return. Vucevic would be amazing with the Lakers, but it's hard to find a workable trade. (Vucevic also makes some sense as an extension candidate, but the Magic will likely choose cap flexibility over more Vooch.)

Insiders see a Gordon trade as inevitable. Isaac and Bamba are the frontcourt of the future; Gordon is not a wing. The Magic designed Gordon's declining contract to be a trade asset. Flip him for perimeter guys and be done with it.

But Gordon just turned 23. He has played much of his career out of position. Clifford is his fifth head coach in five seasons. Once Gordon figures out what he is, and what he isn't, he could be an All-Star. The Magic need good players, regardless of position. They are scarred from watching Victor Oladipo blossom elsewhere. If Gordon surges, he becomes both more tradable and more valuable to the Magic. Orlando wants to be competent. Isaac and Bamba are NBA babies.

These predictions cover only the next calendar year. The Magic don't have to rush.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24988629/zach-lowe-crazy-predictions-2018-19-nba-season

Return to Orlando Magic