ImageImageImageImage

Point guard

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Point guard 

Post#1 » by 12footrim » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:06 pm

I've read some of your thoughts on PG in other threads after you traded for Jerian Grant. My 20 team leagues keepers lock Sunday and I'm considering Grant just because not many players at my 9th spot that have a shot at a starting role. What are you guys assuming or hearing. I would think he could range anywhere from 22 to 30 minutes, I'd say 22 being the more likely but potentially could beat out Augustine. Clifford and the GM must have liked him some to trade for him and neither have coached or wanted Augustine. Still some upside with Grant as well at about 26 years old have to think with his size and age that is the way they would prefer to lean. I like Grant's high assist rate, really hard to get if you haven't got it in my league. Assist rate was 17th per minute in the NBA for players playing at least 40 games.

Thanks
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
Mario_Kasun
Sophomore
And1: 152

Re: Point guard 

Post#2 » by Mario_Kasun » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:33 pm

12footrim wrote:I've read some of your thoughts on PG in other threads after you traded for Jerian Grant. My 20 team leagues keepers lock Sunday and I'm considering Grant just because not many players at my 9th spot that have a shot at a starting role. What are you guys assuming or hearing. I would think he could range anywhere from 22 to 30 minutes, I'd say 22 being the more likely but potentially could beat out Augustine. Clifford and the GM must have liked him some to trade for him and neither have coached or wanted Augustine. Still some upside with Grant as well at about 26 years old have to think with his size and age that is the way they would prefer to lean. I like Grant's high assist rate, really hard to get if you haven't got it in my league. Assist rate was 17th per minute in the NBA for players playing at least 40 games.

Thanks

I def think Grant will earn some PT but DJ will be in the mix all season as I dont see him being moved until next season. Tough spot. I would avoid all Magic PG this season for fantasy. Just my 2 cents
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,148

Post#3 » by MagicMatic » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:20 pm

Grant is going to surprise people this season. I truly believe he will beat out DJ for the starting job as a better distributor and better defender. Orlando currently has no firepower off the bench, so this makes the most sense to me as a better rotation.

I’m glad we took a low risk move on an underrated 25 year old prospect with room to exceed low expectations and earn minutes.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,108

Post#4 » by yoyojw17 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:44 pm

MagicMatic wrote:Grant is going to surprise people this season. I truly believe he will beat out DJ for the starting job as a better distributor and better defender. Orlando currently has no firepower off the bench, so this makes the most sense to me as a better rotation.

I’m glad we took a low risk move on an underrated 25 year old prospect with room to exceed low expectations and earn minutes.

exactly. All of our moves this season either set up the future... or were low risk with some reward moves that won't jeopardize any future plans. Might not be the splash of an off season that people would have loved.... but WeHam is building my trust in their decisions. and once their ducks are in a row.... i think people will finally see what they are shooting for.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,695

Post#5 » by Skybox » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:12 am

I'm pulling for Grant but I find it hard to imagine that our current roster could work without significant floor-spacing from the PG spot. If AG, Isaac, etc step up their 3pt shooting...maybe. DJ is lacking but he can shoot.
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM
And1: 8,457

Post#6 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:47 am

I think people are really undervaluing the impact Briscoe could have on the team. I could EASILY see Briscoe getting more minutes than Grant and why are we so quick to assume Grant is guaranteed the backup PG position? Has that been stated somewhere?
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#7 » by OrlandO » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:00 am

Magic_Johnny12 wrote:why are we so quick to assume Grant is guaranteed the backup PG position? Has that been stated somewhere?

The answer is simple... Grant is a 1st round talent in his prime and has 213 games 4k minutes under his belt while Briscoe is a 22 yr old undrafted rookie. Briscoe could prove himself to be better and earn minutes, but the safe bet is Grant is our main backup early in the season.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#8 » by MagicMatic » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:54 am

OrlandO wrote:
Magic_Johnny12 wrote:why are we so quick to assume Grant is guaranteed the backup PG position? Has that been stated somewhere?

The answer is simple... Grant is a 1st round talent in his prime and has 213 games 4k minutes under his belt while Briscoe is a 22 yr old undrafted rookie. Briscoe could prove himself to be better and earn minutes, but the safe bet is Grant is our main backup early in the season.

Briscoe was lucky to be given the opportunity to land a spot on Orlando’s roster due to the lack of depth. Grant is the guaranteed backup / possible starter due to all the above information. It’s more likely that Grant gets significantly more minutes and will be in a much better situation than he was in Chicago.
Mauro Pedrosa
Analyst
And1: 4,390

Post#9 » by Mauro Pedrosa » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:39 am

12footrim wrote:I've read some of your thoughts on PG in other threads after you traded for Jerian Grant. My 20 team leagues keepers lock Sunday and I'm considering Grant just because not many players at my 9th spot that have a shot at a starting role. What are you guys assuming or hearing. I would think he could range anywhere from 22 to 30 minutes, I'd say 22 being the more likely but potentially could beat out Augustine. Clifford and the GM must have liked him some to trade for him and neither have coached or wanted Augustine. Still some upside with Grant as well at about 26 years old have to think with his size and age that is the way they would prefer to lean. I like Grant's high assist rate, really hard to get if you haven't got it in my league. Assist rate was 17th per minute in the NBA for players playing at least 40 games.

Thanks

That would be a bold move sir.

I'm a fantasy addict as well and would like to know how many keepers do you need and who are the other options
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,013

Post#10 » by drsd » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:41 pm

If either Grant or Briscoe emerges as "competent NBA starter" the Magic might be a playoff team this year.

Here is going that is true!

Mauro Pedrosa
Analyst
And1: 4,390

Post#11 » by Mauro Pedrosa » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:02 pm

drsd wrote:If either Grant or Briscoe emerges as "competent NBA starter" the Magic might be a playoff team this year.

I have more faith in Briscoe
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,108

Post#12 » by yoyojw17 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:28 pm

Mauro Pedrosa wrote:
drsd wrote:If either Grant or Briscoe emerges as "competent NBA starter" the Magic might be a playoff team this year.

I have more faith in Briscoe

I like them both.... will be if one of them pushes augustin to the bench. But at least they will both be bringing "the D"... lol We've been sorely missing that for the last 4 years.
NBlue
Rookie
And1: 714

Post#13 » by NBlue » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:53 pm

Magic_Johnny12 wrote:I think people are really undervaluing the impact Briscoe could have on the team. I could EASILY see Briscoe getting more minutes than Grant and why are we so quick to assume Grant is guaranteed the backup PG position? Has that been stated somewhere?

I've seen this a lot. I haven't seen any evidence whatsoever to suggest that Briscoe has the capacity to run an offense in the NBA. From the brief stint we saw of him in the summer league he looked like he could get to the rim against lesser competition and his reputation is that he struggles to shoot from distance but he did a decent job of that in the summer league as well. What I didn't see from him to get his teammates involved or to run an offense. Now, admittedly, he has only been with the team a very brief time and has yet to play an NBA game so maybe he will blossom into CP3 -- however, speculating that he is going to have such an impact is akin to wishing on an evening star at this juncture.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for it if he turns out to be awesome - I just doubt it.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#14 » by MagicMatic » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:40 pm

Even if they are “competent”, this group isn’t close to a playoff team.
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,275

Post#15 » by JBSouthpaw » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:40 pm

Thanks

As a starter last year, DJ averaged 27.5 minutes a game. His back up was Mack, who is at the very least equal to Jerian, probably a bit more steady than him.
I see DJ still getting around 27 min a game, so that leaves only 20 min per game for backups. As you see from posts above, it isn't in stone who is getting what share of those 20 minutes. It could work out if your favor though in a 20 team league.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,013

Post#16 » by drsd » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:26 pm

NBlue wrote:I haven't seen any evidence whatsoever to suggest that Briscoe has the capacity to run an offense in the NBA.

Coming out of high school Briscoe was an A-1 NBA prospect. But his time at Kentucky revealed a horrible perimeter shot. I think what many and encouraging is his FG% and FT% numbers last year in Estonia. It suggests he can correct his most serious flaw. And then if one looks back at his high school ball handling, rebounding, and defense, then a predictable J makes him an NBA-level talent.

But will an Estonian FG% hold up to taller, faster NBA guards?

pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,357

Post#17 » by pepe1991 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:02 pm

https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Isaiah-Briscoe/Summary/41489

Briscoe's stats through whole career, ncaa, Europe , SL included

Imo he was replacment second round PG pick and will be viewed as one on a team,third string PG with chance to getting himself into a rotation.

I'm more interested to see what will Frazier , Iwundu and Jackson do through a season and will any of them do anything on main roster before hitting G league.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Raider_MXD
Senior
And1: 75

Post#18 » by Raider_MXD » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:11 pm

Unless one of them makes it to the allstar team I don't see that happening

pepe1991 wrote:I'm more interested to see what will Frazier , Iwundu and Jackson do through a season and will any of them do anything on main roster before hitting G league.

Well, one thing is fore sure, after that showing in summer league my expecations for Iwundu are extremely low
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,357

Post#19 » by pepe1991 » Sat Sep 1, 2018 5:27 am

Raider_MXD wrote:

Unless one of them makes it to the allstar team I don't see that happening

pepe1991 wrote:I'm more interested to see what will Frazier , Iwundu and Jackson do through a season and will any of them do anything on main roster before hitting G league.

Well, one thing is fore sure, after that showing in summer league my expecations for Iwundu are extremely low

And Fraizer looked like his carbon copy.
Iwundu at least has graceful moves, not wery effective, but he looks like he has control of his body, Frazier on other hand looks like player who made transition from handball or american soccer when he goes at rim. Rackless jumping into people with no control.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Raider_MXD
Senior
And1: 75

Post#20 » by Raider_MXD » Sat Sep 1, 2018 10:22 am

pepe1991 wrote:And Fraizer looked like his carbon copy.

Agreed

Return to Orlando Magic