ImageImageImageImage

Point guard

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

Just Plain Mark
Assistant Coach
And1: 193

Re: Point guard 

Post#81 » by Just Plain Mark » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:24 pm

OrlChamps2030 wrote:Not sure I like the idea that the front office left the point guard position bad by design.

Bad point guard play can inhibit player development IMO. Especially when your best prospects can’t create for themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

I've been critical of the FO for its lack of proactive moves - specifically the apaprent lack of interest in going after Trae Young or Doncic, and the failure to get a PG later in the draft, but outside of the draft I don't think there was a good PG option for the Magic.

As for the impact on player development, I don't really think the lack of a PG impacts individual player development that much. Once/if Bamba, AG or others play with a more dynamic playmaker, I think they'll be fine whether that's this year or next year.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,119

Post#82 » by yoyojw17 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:21 pm

bargnanimvp wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:
407Junkie wrote:The trade to make is Lonzo Ball for Vucevic. It helps both teams because each one doesn’t fit their current teams and would help the other one better. We need a set em up 1 with a pass first mentality that plays defense and they need a scoring big that can stretch the court. Get it done Magic gm.

I was hoping that the talks of helping to facilitating a trade over the summer... as his skill would have been great for this team and i thought his shooting would come around soon as well. agewise he would have been ideal as well. if this was a possibilty now... i would definitely been all in. notice... we haven't even heard a peep out of the dad.... who so many were afraid of.

lonzo doesn't fit at all, why would we want another guy who can't score or run an offence? lonzo is fast flashy passes with elite defense he can't finish he can't penetrate he can't collapse a defense he hasn't been running plays yet he can't shoot. I'd trade trash for him but nothing of value

Wait.... so you think his one year is the tell tale sign of his future. He's 6'6"... and as you said.... already elite defense. now... he's also an excellent passer when you mix that with his size. His 3 point shot is seemingly improved.... and i think with the ball in his hands more (something that we're not going to see much of with lebron on the team)... he gets his teammates involved and active. So yes... i think he will be a great addition to or future... because he is not a finish product just like bamba and isaac.... and shoot even gordon. I'm basing this on what i project for him.
PennytoShaq
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 5,218

Post#83 » by PennytoShaq » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:21 pm

OrlChamps2030 wrote:Not sure I like the idea that the front office left the point guard position bad by design.

Bad point guard play can inhibit player development IMO. Especially when your best prospects can’t create for themselves.

A ton of things can inhibit player development. Rome was not built in a day. The reality is that we simply did not have many options this summer to fill the PG position, so it appears the FO punted. I don’t think a ball dominant scorer, who can’t play defense and may have a serious hip ailment in Isiah Thomas would have been the answer for us there anyway.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,153

Post#84 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:45 pm

PennytoShaq wrote:

A ton of things can inhibit player development. Rome was not built in a day. The reality is that we simply did not have many options this summer to fill the PG position, so it appears the FO punted. I don’t think a ball dominant scorer, who can’t play defense and may have a serious hip ailment in Isiah Thomas would have been the answer for us there anyway.

FO also punted on the 2nd round picks this year...again. instead of grabbing a Guard/shooter we took 2 G League guys and 1 of those dudes is injured. I could name 5-7 players that we should've taken over Frazier and Jackson.
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
PennytoShaq

Post#85 » by PennytoShaq » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:49 pm

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
PennytoShaq wrote:

FO also punted on the 2nd round picks this year...again. instead of grabbing a Guard/shooter we took 2 G League guys and 1 of those dudes is injured. I could name 5-7 players that we should've taken over Frazier and Jackson.

Please do. I spoke to this already but it is super easy to look back on 2nd rounders and state who we should have taken. I’d be more impressed to see the 2 guys you wanted us to take this spring and how well they are actually doing.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant

Post#86 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:03 pm

PennytoShaq wrote:
MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
PennytoShaq wrote:

Please do. I spoke to this already but it is super easy to look back on 2nd rounders and state who we should have taken. I’d be more impressed to see the 2 guys you wanted us to take this spring and how well they are actually doing.

Melton, Mykhailiuk, Diallo, Milton, Trent Jr or trade up to get either Okobo, Carter, Brunson or Graham.
PennytoShaq

Post#87 » by PennytoShaq » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:06 pm

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
PennytoShaq wrote:
MartinsIzAfraud wrote:

Melton, Mykhailiuk, Diallo, Milton, Trent Jr or trade up to get either Okobo, Carter, Brunson or Graham.

That’s a lot more than two. How well are they doing?
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant

Post#88 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:16 pm

PennytoShaq wrote:
MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
PennytoShaq wrote:

My 3 top guys were Melton, Milton & Mykhailiuk at draft time. 2 guards who could've come in day 1 and easily run with the 2's. Myk is a 3 but dude can shoot lights out and also had a killer SL.

Melton had an unreal SL with the Suns, not playing a ton 8,11 and 5 minutes. The Suns also have Booker, Okobo, and Cannan.
Milton & Mykh have not played but looking at the teams they went to it's not surprising.
PennytoShaq

Post#89 » by PennytoShaq » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:27 pm

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
PennytoShaq wrote:
MartinsIzAfraud wrote:

My 3 top guys were Melton, Milton & Mykhailiuk at draft time. 2 guards who could've come in day 1 and easily run with the 2's. Myk is a 3 but dude can shoot lights out and also had a killer SL.

Melton had an unreal SL with the Suns, not playing a ton 8,11 and 5 minutes. The Suns also have Booker, Okobo, and Cannan.
Milton & Mykh have not played but looking at the teams they went to it's not surprising.

True but I don’t see any of these guys as a huge game changer for the Magic. Briscoe had a bad game Saturday but he can easily rebound from that. If the bar is backup PGs, I would rather take shots on length and athleticism. There is not a lot of skill available in round 2 of the NBA draft.
fklt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,643

Post#90 » by fklt » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:32 pm

SOUL wrote:
drsd wrote:I expect Vučević to be traded in season specifically because his fair market value is in the 100M/5y range. How can Orlando Management swallow that deal?

don't know about 20 per year. he is at least getting fournier level money this summer.
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,537

Post#91 » by Furinkazan » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:50 pm

fklt wrote:
SOUL wrote:
drsd wrote:I expect Vučević to be traded in season specifically because his fair market value is in the 100M/5y range. How can Orlando Management swallow that deal?

don't know about 20 per year. he is at least getting fournier level money this summer.

good
hopefully not from us
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,043

Post#92 » by drsd » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:44 pm

Furinkazan wrote:hopefully not from us

Orlando has its commitment to Center. The salary savings will probably be used to go at a Max PG.

Magic_Johnny12
RealGM
And1: 8,480

Post#93 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:21 pm

Kemba Walker is the answer.

I will try everything in my power to trade for Butler and try to shed as much salary as possible to pair the two.

Kemba Walker
Jimmy Butler
Jonathan Isaac
Aaron Gordon
Mo Bamba

Yikes.
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,156

Post#94 » by swarlesbarkley » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:41 pm

Realistically, what would it take to get Kemba?
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,250

Post#95 » by cedric76 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:49 pm

Magic_Johnny12 wrote:Kemba Walker is the answer.

I will try everything in my power to trade for Butler and try to shed as much salary as possible to pair the two.

Kemba Walker
Jimmy Butler
Jonathan Isaac
Aaron Gordon
Mo Bamba

Yikes.

Min would jump on an Evan for Butler trade
Then we d have enough money under the cap to sign Walker to the max

Then Resign butler to the max

BUT we d need to know that Butler want to stay (doesnt look like it)

and We d need to know that Walker want to come

So too many unknown to make that trade

I d rather stick with Evan (he wants to win here and is not a headcase like Butler) and go after Kemba with the max this summer

Kemba
Evan
JI
AG
Mo
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM

Post#96 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:00 pm

swarlesbarkley wrote:Realistically, what would it take to get Kemba?

Realistically, even if Kemba blatantly stated that he's not resigning they wouldn't trade him. So now you're competing with almost half the league to sign him out right. He's getting the max regardless so money wouldn't be the persuading factor.

Orlando would have to trade for another star for Kemba to even hear us out.

So now what stars are available for trade currently? Only one that comes to mind is Jimmy Butler, which in theory is feasible. Extremely risky, but not impossible.

Clifford's ties and recruiting skills would have to be top notch as well.

This is with the assumption we have already made the necessary moves to open enough cap to sign both Butler and Kemba to max deals.
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM

Post#97 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:05 pm

cedric76 wrote:
Magic_Johnny12 wrote:Kemba Walker is the answer.

Kemba Walker
Jimmy Butler
Jonathan Isaac
Aaron Gordon
Mo Bamba

Yikes.

Min would jump on an Evan for Butler trade
Then we d have enough money under the cap to sign Walker to the max

Then Resign butler to the max

BUT we d need to know that Butler want to stay (doesnt look like it)

and We d need to know that Walker want to come

So too many unknown to make that trade

I d rather stick with Evan (he wants to win here and is not a headcase like Butler) and go after Kemba with the max this summer

Kemba
Evan
JI
AG
Mo

This is a high risk high reward kinda league.

You got to give to get.

Even if the experiment completely failed I would stand behind it and commend the effort.

Max money in a tax free state around a great young core w/ all future picks and an ownership willing to do anything is a pretty good pitch.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#98 » by OrlandO » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:07 pm

Magic_Johnny12 wrote:

Realistically, even if Kemba blatantly stated that he's not resigning they wouldn't trade him. So now you're competing with almost half the league to sign him out right. He's getting the max regardless so money wouldn't be the persuading factor.

So now what stars are available for trade currently? Only one that comes to mind is Jimmy Butler, which in theory is feasible. Extremely risky, but not impossible.

This is with the assumption we have already made the necessary moves to open enough cap to sign both Butler and Kemba to max deals.

We'd have to do a trade like Fournier and Simmons for Butler and Patton (injured/waive) to clear space without giving up youth. At this point Thibs would probably jump all over that. Then Vuc and Ross expire over the summer. Stretch Mozgov. Sign Kemba. Re-sign Butler.
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM

Post#99 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:20 pm

OrlandO wrote:
Magic_Johnny12 wrote:

We'd have to do a trade like Fournier and Simmons for Butler and Patton (injured/waive) to clear space without giving up youth. At this point Thibs would probably jump all over that. Then Vuc and Ross expire over the summer. Stretch Mozgov. Sign Kemba. Re-sign Butler.

Then I buy season tickets and cry tears of joy.
PennytoShaq

Post#100 » by PennytoShaq » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:41 pm

I can’t imagine Minny doing a trade with us for Butler and not getting AG back in the deal.

Return to Orlando Magic