ImageImageImageImage

Around the NBA: 2018/2019 edition

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

NotACat
Veteran
And1: 1,299

Re: Around the NBA: 2018/2019 edition 

Post#1981 » by NotACat » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:54 am

pepe1991 wrote:
drsd wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:So what's the point of existence of smaller teams ? Farming system?

2014:

2016:

2019:

Spurs core was :
Duncan without any ego
2 foreign players
Leonard ( rookie contract, still left )

Cavs just happend to be team that Lebron grew up near by

Raptors are not small market team by any streach of imagination

Just look at this
According to the NBA, around half of the Canadian population, around 18.2 million viewers, tuned in for all or part of the 2019 NBA finals.

Their market is whole damn Canada

For the Spurs and Cavs, they focused on their own teams and their own players, they also had the #1 pick and got LeBron. As for Tornoto, they are absolutely considered a small market team in the NBA. If we only had one NBA team in the United States, half our country would root for them too if they were able to win their first championship.
Black Lives Matter
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,366

Post#1982 » by Bensational » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:57 am

pepe1991 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
Yet they all prefer big markets because,reasons? Why Lebron didn't sign with Memphis?

Why didnt he ask for DC? NY? Brooklyn? those are big markets

Why Irving is going to Brooklyn? Because he enjoys Joe Harris and company of Jared Dudley ? Or because they moved from Jersey to Brooklyn ?
Why is KD linked with Knicks, not Magic, Memphis , Sacramento ? From basketball perspective only, Knicks are the worst team in nba.

It's pretty obvious.
Teams like Spurs remain competitive by picking Europien and/or low profile players, yet even they are slipping last few years.

Why yesterday it was reported that Davis will exlore FA no matter who trades for him, yet when LAKERS traded for him, it was reported he will resign?

You get to Lakers/Knicks and you by default you are:
talking point of basketball world
make more money than anywhere else
you win title and since all media are located in LA, they make you 5 times bigger star than you are (Kobe- Duncan who is greater debate isn't really debate, people pick Kobe due media brainwash, in reality Duncan is far superior player and was best player on championship team 3 times. Kobe was only once, yet due his media created popularity he won Finals MVP in 2010 on name value only, where Pau literally lead league in everything that matters. But pss, don't tell enbody how " Mr clucth " was 6-24 in game 7, with 4 turnovers, 2 assists and bricked everything , where Pau had 19 points, 18 rebounds, 4 assists and +/- of +7 , team high.) Guy won finals mvp on 28 ppg while shooting 40% FG, 30% for 3. That's some Westbrook level , but heey it's Kobe.

I think the big/small market thing is really overblown. Lakers, Celtics, Knicks, GSW, Houston, Washington - just some of the biggest markets in the NBA. The names of FAs they've attracted in recent years?

Lakers - LeBron, but couldn't convince a 2nd star to join him. Had to trade all their rebuild youth away to get him a 2nd star.
Celtics - Hayward and Horford. They got paid max money, and they're only #3 options at best on a contender.
Knicks - Melo and Stoudemire in, what, 2010? Nobody for most of the last 9 years.
GSW - Igoudala, Durant and Cousins, but that's only been over the past 5 years. Before that, nobody wanted to go to San Fran.
Houston - Massive market. Chris Paul and Dwight Howard the only big name they've managed to recruit with Harden as a drawcard.
Washington - Nobody ever goes there.

Teams that have won championships? Toronto, Golden State, Cleveland, San Antonio, Miami, Dallas, LA, Boston. There are some pretty small market teams in the mix there. But good drafting and management can make any team look appealing enough.

There's absolutely advantages when trying to recruit from somewhere like NY or LA, but as history shows, that doesn't mean players are lining up to go play there. Markets are becoming globalised and players can make money wherever they are these days.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,223

Post#1983 » by pepe1991 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:09 pm

NotACat wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
drsd wrote:

2014:

2016:

2019:

Spurs core was :
Duncan without any ego
2 foreign players

Just look at this
According to the NBA, around half of the Canadian population, around 18.2 million viewers, tuned in for all or part of the 2019 NBA finals.

For the Spurs and Cavs, they focused on their own teams and their own players, they also had the #1 pick and got LeBron. As for Tornoto, they are absolutely considered a small market team in the NBA. If we only had one NBA team in the United States, half our country would root for them too if they were able to win their first championship.

By Forbes, before Leonard and Marc,they were ranked as 11 # most valuable team.
That alone puts them in upper class of nba teams.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,891

Post#1984 » by drsd » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:10 pm

Bensational wrote:Washington - Nobody ever goes there.

Conceptually DC should be a magnet for NBA players. That the Oladipo's of the world indeed "never go there" really shows how poorly managed the Wizards is.

NotACat
Veteran

Post#1985 » by NotACat » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:16 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
NotACat wrote:[spoiler]
pepe1991 wrote:

Spurs core was :
Duncan without any ego
2 foreign players

Just look at this

Maybe in terms of financial status, but not in the minds of NBA players. No big time player has ever wanted to sign with the Raptors.
Black Lives Matter
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#1986 » by pepe1991 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:33 pm

NotACat wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
NotACat wrote:[spoiler]For the Spurs and Cavs, they focused on their own teams and their own players, they also had the #1 pick and got LeBron. As for Tornoto, they are absolutely considered a small market team in the NBA. If we only had one NBA team in the United States, half our country would root for them too if they were able to win their first championship.

Maybe in terms of financial status, but not in the minds of NBA players. No big time player has ever wanted to sign with the Raptors.

your post broke my browser :lol:

whole page got currupted :lol:

Players don't want to play there because it's outside USA, obvious.
NotACat
Veteran

Post#1987 » by NotACat » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:13 pm

Mine too! I fixed my post by by removing the spoiler text from the post (did it to hide the pictures). I think you'll need to do the same for the post you quoted me from.
Black Lives Matter
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#1988 » by pepe1991 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:47 pm

NotACat wrote:Mine too! I fixed my post by by removing the spoiler text from the post (did it to hide the pictures). I think you'll need to do the same for the post you quoted me from.

fixed :lol: :lol:
dsg2021
Analyst
And1: 1,030

Post#1989 » by dsg2021 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:35 pm

I think the favorites next year, in no particular order, have to be TOR if they manage to keep Kawhi, GSW if they manage to keep KD, or Klay, or both (I just think that both will be ready to go next season, even if its not until as late as round 2 of the 2020 playoffs, they'll make it in time to make GSW as scary as ever), and LAL (sadly). I will throw MIL in there *if they pay up to keep/add-to their key players and key FO staff, (not gonna pretend Giannis won't improve from last year).

LAL, because AD is a top 4-ish transcendant star with no actual flaws, unlike their last catch of stars (Nash, Dwight, etc.), 'playoff LeBron' is still gonna be a real thing for the next 3-4 seasons (imo, especially if his shooting can stay okay or better), and I really love the third wheel in Kuzma. Kuzma is the exact kind of shooter and scorer you would love to put around LeBron and AD.. and the more I imagine those three on the floor together, the more I can see why LAL gave up the insane amount of 1st round picks value to keep Kuzma out of the deal. Kuzma is going to legitimately be a very real, 3rd star, imo. Maybe his defense gets picked on if he left LAL after a while, but it's not really an issue while he's got LeBron and AD backing him up on Defense. What LAL does with 23-28 mil in cap space left is going to be interesting. You may have to use it all up if Kemba takes the discount to go there, for four real All Star impact kind of players. And then I'd hunt for insane value pickups, starting with the backyard I know best, pitching Khem Birch like he's the damn savior of the LAL franchise, with LeBron and AD in the freakin room right there. We know here that Birch is a very legitimate 1st string and high level 2nd string C, and if they can get him to come on for cheap 1-2 years, *hopefully convincing him that they will eventually pay him fairly with bird right thresholds adding up *wink wink*. Then you hope to get lucky on some shooters and other 'loyalty plays' for the likes of Rondo, McGee, maybe 1 or 2 (or 3) out of Thabo, Seth, Ellington, Meeks, Rivers, J.R., Stauskas, Hezonja, Wesley, Ariza. Splitting the cap space out if Kemba is out, leads to some interesting possibilities too; one of the first ones comes again from the backyard I know the best, offering 18 per to Vooch and the rest (5-10 mil per) to T Ross.

What does this mean for ORL? Put up, or get out. Don't be naive and don't play the game if you don't like what big markets like LAL and NYK can pull off, and if it bothers you. It didn't bother title-winning teams like TOR, DAL, CLE, and SAS more recently. Want to play the game? Be willing to pay 10+ mil per and a small piece of your very own ownership equity just to get one single FO executive. Imho, that's clearly where it all starts.

My sleeper picks would then be LAC (FA pending), HOU (Harden & CP3), PHI (if Butler, Tobes & J.J. sign PHI), and ORL 8-)
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,090

Post#1990 » by yoyojw17 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:29 pm

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/254263/Mike-Miller-Expected-To-Join-Knicks-Coaching-Staff

Mike Miller is expected to replace Howard Eisley as an assistant on David Fizdale's New York Knicks coaching staff, according to Ian Begley of SNY.

Eisley left the Knicks coaching staff to join Juwan Howard's staff at Michigan.

Miller won the G League coach of the year in the 2017-18 with the Westchester Knicks and runs a similar offense as David Fizdale.

Miller would join a coaching staff that includes Keith Smart, Kaleb Canales, Jud Buechler, Pat Sullivan and Royal Ivey. SNY sources also note that several other teams have expressed interest in adding Ivey to their coaching staff.

Good for him!
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#1991 » by MoMM » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:33 pm

I didn't even know that Mike Miller was a G-League HC already, imagine COY...
magicman112
Head Coach
And1: 1,888

Post#1992 » by magicman112 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:17 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
NotACat wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

your post broke my browser :lol:

whole page got currupted :lol:

Players don't want to play there because it's outside USA, obvious.

Yes and they are taxed pretty heavily by the Canadian government as well from what I understand.
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#1993 » by MoMM » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:42 pm

The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,025

Post#1994 » by The Real Dalic » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:30 pm

Really annoyed at the fact that a dumpster fire organization (possibly the worst organization in all of sports) gets a sit down with both Durant and Leonard (according to wiretap) but a young team that just made the playoffs may not even get the chance to get a conversation with a borderline all-star like Russell. The life of a big market team.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,891

Post#1995 » by drsd » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:55 pm

spinedoc
RealGM
And1: 4,164

Post#1996 » by spinedoc » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:20 pm

I love the last line, "this team is light years ahead". I agree, and it leaves me feeling jealous.
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,533

Post#1997 » by Furinkazan » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:14 am

in case someone missed it :lol:
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#1998 » by pepe1991 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:45 am

Furinkazan wrote: