ImageImageImageImage

Kyrie loving Boston = Rozier to Orlando?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,501

Re: Kyrie loving Boston = Rozier to Orlando? 

Post#21 » by MagicFan101 » Wed Oct 3, 2018 2:47 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
PrimeThyme wrote:I'm down to pounce on the right player, thats why I said Id throw a max contract offer at Kemba. Kemba would be very similar to the Rashard signing. I just don't want to throw money at the wrong guys. I really don't see the right guy point guard wise these next couple years though outside of Kemba who is a longshot at best to sign here, to begin with. These next two PG free agent classes are quite weak and most of the middle tier guys are going to get overpaid in a buyers market.

I still think that upgrade we are looking for will have to come through trade at some point.

Kemba is a bad example as he is going to get a max ... therefore you can’t overspend. He doesn’t apply to this scenario.

I’m talking about spending more than other teams are willing to for the sake of securing the player you want while we remain in that sweet spot of building around mostly rookie contracts. This same philosophy is becoming a trend in the NFL for teams with great young QBs yet to be paid.

... I also don’t believe for one single second that Kemba has any interest in leaving Charlotte for Orlando. So there is that.

Well, If you're asking if I'm willing to pay max to near max money for Rozier, Bledsoe, or Dragic... no I'm not.

... really? No, that is not what I’m saying.

Don’t be lazy. Put some thought into your comments.

If an unproven player wants a max then you wish them well in their search elsewhere.

If someone like Rozier is getting $15-18M per offers (just making up numbers for the sake of making a point) then am I will to offer $20M per? Yes.

Again, don’t get caught up in specific names. Fill in “Rozier” with some promising yet not fully proven player you fancy.

... Bledsoe and Dragic are not names I would include in my list for this strategy. If we are swapping contracts for the sake of fit then sure those are names to target. Overspending on them is not good.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,380

Post#22 » by PrimeThyme » Wed Oct 3, 2018 3:10 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
PrimeThyme wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
Kemba is a bad example as he is going to get a max ... therefore you can’t overspend. He doesn’t apply to this scenario.

I’m talking about spending more than other teams are willing to for the sake of securing the player you want while we remain in that sweet spot of building around mostly rookie contracts. This same philosophy is becoming a trend in the NFL for teams with great young QBs yet to be paid.

... I also don’t believe for one single second that Kemba has any interest in leaving Charlotte for Orlando. So there is that.

Well, If you're asking if I'm willing to pay max to near max money for Rozier, Bledsoe, or Dragic... no I'm not.

If an unproven player wants a max then you wish them well in their search elsewhere.

If someone like Rozier is getting $15-18M per offers (just making up numbers for the sake of making a point) then am I will to offer $20M per? Yes.

Again, don’t get caught up in specific names. Fill in “Rozier” with some promising yet not fully proven player you fancy.

... Bledsoe and Dragic are not names I would include in my list for this strategy. If we are swapping contracts for the sake of fit then sure those are names to target. Overspending on them is not good.

Yeah, result to your condescending pretentious ways as you always do. Quality poster. I'm not paying Rozier 20M, thats the whole point. You said it wasn't about Rozier and if we have no chance on signing Kemba, The next two big names on that list are Bledsoe and Dragic and no I would not overpay for them for the sake of upgrade or anyone else the next two years outside of Kemba. There are no other unproven players that interest me.
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#23 » by MagicFan101 » Wed Oct 3, 2018 3:48 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
PrimeThyme wrote:Well, If you're asking if I'm willing to pay max to near max money for Rozier, Bledsoe, or Dragic... no I'm not.

Yeah, result to your condescending pretentious ways as you always do. Quality poster. I'm not paying Rozier 20M, thats the whole point. You said it wasn't about Rozier and if we have no chance on signing Kemba, The next two big names on that list are Bledsoe and Dragic and no I would not overpay for them for the sake of upgrade or anyone else the next two years outside of Kemba. There are no other unproven players that interest me.

Come on. Stop taking everything personally and pay attention if you want to jump into a conversation.

I’m not talking about Rozier or Kemba or Bledsoe or anyone specifically.

I’m talking about a philosophical approach to spending in free agency.

First, given that you have a young and promising yet unproven player ... (Kemba, Bledsoe and Dragic are all eliminated already) do you stick to your guns and only offer fair market value? Or do you offer more to make sure he picks us?

The option to “offer more” implies we are not talking about max contracts here. Max contracts are for obvious free agent targets who need no debate such as this.

I’m a realist and see no good reason why any free agent would choose Orlando over any other team all else being equal. So we have to make it unequal. That doesn’t mean we should be careless as we were with Biz but you take measured risks.

Everyone cries that we need an upgrade at PG but is unwilling to take any risk whatsoever to secure one outside of signing a super star. Silly.
PrimeThyme
RealGM

Post#24 » by PrimeThyme » Wed Oct 3, 2018 4:00 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
PrimeThyme wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:

Come on. Stop taking everything personally and pay attention if you want to jump into a conversation.

First, given that you have a young and promising yet unproven player ... (Kemba, Bledsoe and Dragic are all eliminated already) do you stick to your guns and only offer fair market value? Or do you offer more to make sure he picks us?

The option to “offer more” implies we are not talking about max contracts here. Max contracts are for obvious free agent targets who need no debate such as this.

I’m a realist and see no good reason why any free agent would choose Orlando over any other team all else being equal. So we have to make it unequal. That doesn’t mean we should be careless as we were with Biz but you take measured risks.

Everyone cries that we need an upgrade at PG but is unwilling to take any risk whatsoever to secure one outside of signing a super star. Silly.

I would suggest taking your own advice. You are the one that brought up the Rashard scenario. Rashard was not an unproven player when we signed, he was an established very good player and thats when the conversation flipped from an unproven player to established players. Thats why I brought up Kemba and Bledsoe because those are two players that potentially would fit that description and would be Rashard type signings that could elevate our team to the next level like you suggested. Nobody else is on that caliber.

I've already had this same convo with you this summer when I relayed to you how pointless imo it would be for us to target middle of the road point guards in next years buyers market. I'm just not interested. Not sure how many more ways you want me to phrase it/spell it out for you. Makes a lot more sense to go after a young unproven PG like Tyus Jones in the trade market.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#25 » by Andrew McCeltic » Wed Oct 3, 2018 4:12 pm

I don’t see Boston trading Rozier this year, but you never know.. Isaac or Bamba would be the piece in terms of raw value - Vucevic is nice but expiring and unrestricted - we could stack salaries with Rozier, Morris, Semi Ojeleye, and Jabari Bird (when he can be dealt), but then Boston is giving up three of last year’s rotation players, all plus defenders, for a center who’s going to get paid as much as Rozier.. Doesn’t quite work.
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#26 » by MagicFan101 » Wed Oct 3, 2018 4:22 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
PrimeThyme wrote:Yeah, result to your condescending pretentious ways as you always do. Quality poster. I'm not paying Rozier 20M, thats the whole point. You said it wasn't about Rozier and if we have no chance on signing Kemba, The next two big names on that list are Bledsoe and Dragic and no I would not overpay for them for the sake of upgrade or anyone else the next two years outside of Kemba. There are no other unproven players that interest me.

I would suggest taking your own advice. You are the one that brought up the Rashard scenario. Rashard was not an unproven player when we signed, he was an established very good player and thats when the conversation flipped from an unproven player to established players. Thats why I brought up Kemba and Bledsoe because those are two players that potentially would fit that description and would be Rashard type signings that could elevate our team to the next level like you suggested. Nobody else is on that caliber.

I've already had this same convo with you this summer when I relayed to you how pointless imo it would be for us to target middle of the road point guards in next years buyers market. I'm just not interested. Not sure how many more ways you want me to phrase it/spell it out for you. Makes a lot more sense to go after a young unproven PG like Tyus Jones in the trade market.

Yes, Kemba would elevate this team. So would Steph or Durant or Lebron. I’m not talking about them.

Rozier is in the title of this thread. That is the only reason his name pops up. As I said, insert the name of any young player you fancy.

Lewis is a good example of a player we overspent on in order to make sure he landed in Orlando. It paid off for us.

Don’t even get caught up in numbers. I keep saying I’m just using examples but you are taking them literally. So let’s switch to percentages.

If Player X is the guy you want, would you be willing to offer 10-15% more than the highest offer on the open market in order to get him in Orlando?

So many here cry about desperately wanting an upgrade at PG but draw a hard line in the sand on how much we spend on this guy or that guy. We either need to be patient and wait for the draft to fall our way or we need to pony up and go in on a targeted free agent / trade acquisition.
Magic#1
General Manager
And1: 1,108

Post#27 » by Magic#1 » Wed Oct 3, 2018 5:11 pm

Def Swami wrote:
Knightro wrote:Considering the Celtics have legitimate NBA title aspirations this year, my guess is that they'd rather *keep* Rozier this entire year and risk losing him in free agency for nothing than trade him away for a return that makes them weaker in this year's playoffs.

If the Magic really want him, they will probably have to sign him in free agency this summer.

Agree. I doubt the Celtics have any urgency to trade Rozier. He's a valuable cog in their title run and insurance for Kyrie Irving's knees. Rozier is also probably one of the better assets in the league to use in a big trade that may come available during the season. He represents some flexibility for the team during the season if they need it.

I could easily be wrong, but if teams really believe Rozier will be gone after this year, I'm not sure the Cs could get a better deal than trading for Vooch. I feel like if we can work it out cap wise, a deal between us is very possible. If they really don't think Kyrie is going to stay healthy, then it makes perfect sense to keep Rozier. But if they think he'll be healthy, I really don't see much of a reason to keep Rozier. It's the same thing with us and Vooch. Again, I could be wrong, but I would think Vooch would get more minutes in Boston than Rozier would if everyone is healthy. If we found a way to include Ross and/or DJ, I could see Boston being interested.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,160

Post#28 » by OrlChamps2030 » Wed Oct 3, 2018 5:49 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:I don’t see Boston trading Rozier this year, but you never know.. Isaac or Bamba would be the piece in terms of raw value - Vucevic is nice but expiring and unrestricted - we could stack salaries with Rozier, Morris, Semi Ojeleye, and Jabari Bird (when he can be dealt), but then Boston is giving up three of last year’s rotation players, all plus defenders, for a center who’s going to get paid as much as Rozier.. Doesn’t quite work.

Yeah I’m not sure there’s a deal to be made between Boston-Orlando based around Vucevic-Rozier. Ainge is too smart to trade assets for a limited center like Vucevic.

It is more likely that Vucevic gets dumped/cut rather than traded for a good young player. Basically Greg Monroe all over again

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,110

Post#29 » by tiderulz » Thu Oct 4, 2018 3:47 am

PrimeThyme wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:If that.. without a previous trade to see what he can do.... "Swift Pass" for me if that's want he expects.

"How bout 12" lol

Honest question:

Why does it matter? If we give him a 4 year $80M with a TEAM option on the 4th his contract would expire at the same time as Bamba and Gordon. Even if we can’t grab that team option we still have no players signed for that final year with all eyes on re-upping our youngsters.

Let the BIG + Rozier play its course for 3 years. You only need $$ for backups at that point. So I ask again ... why does it matter how much you pay him?

This doesn’t even really have to be about Rozier. If there is someone out there we believe is “our guy” at PG for the next few years then throw the sink of whoever that may be and make it happen.

I mean if you want to throw a max contract at Kemba next offseason that is something I could get behind. But throwing 20 plus mill a year for a guy like Rozier is risky in my opinion. We've seen the success or rather lack of success that most of the players that have left Stevens system have had in other places. He's primarily been an inefficient guy for his entire career anyways even in that system. He shot under 40% last year and while he did shoot 38% from 3, during his big run in the playoffs that everyone points to he was already back down to 33%.

I think cap flexibility is important. Our last rebuild can give some credence to that. Throwing money at a player just because you might not have anything else to spend it on that summer isn't always a smart one. Cap space can always be used to take back a bigger contract in a trade. I fully believe that WeHams focus going forward will be to continue to maintain cap flexibility as well until this young core is closer to making that jump. I dont think next year will be that year.

might be overstated a bit. Crowder had more shots in Boston than in Cleveland. He looked back to normal in Utah except for his 3 pt %. Thomas was hurt when he was moved. Avery Bradley played about the same in Detroit as Boston. So who are these people that didnt play well after leaving Stevens?
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 5,009

Post#30 » by Ducklett » Thu Oct 4, 2018 7:14 am

We really need to just sit on our hands.

Trade Vuc/Ross for a bad 2 year deal and draft assets.
Trade Evan for a bad 2 year deal and draft assets.
Walk into 2020 FA with nearly 2 max spots. If the players aren't good, sign guys to 1 year deals and kick the can down the road to 2021.
2-3 years for top 3-5 picks to fill in holes (SG/PG) to sell all the Free Agents on with BIG.
Win 5-10 Championships.

Feel free to message me to run the ORG for you Martins.
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,516

Post#31 » by DiplomaticMagic » Thu Oct 4, 2018 10:16 am

I like Rozier a lot but not sure I'll like the price tag.

I do like paying Rozier more than Kemba. Yeah Kemba is an all,star but his age is not with our timeline. Rozier can grow with our core.

I'm also a little woried Rozier is just in a great situation and won't look as good here. But that's always hard to tell.

But if we were to get Rozier, it would have to be through free agency, and we will have to overpay. Boston doesn't do trades unless it's a home run and there are no power hitters on our team.
STOP PLAYING FULTZ
PrimeThyme
RealGM

Post#32 » by PrimeThyme » Thu Oct 4, 2018 3:09 pm

tiderulz wrote:
PrimeThyme wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
Honest question:

Why does it matter? If we give him a 4 year $80M with a TEAM option on the 4th his contract would expire at the same time as Bamba and Gordon. Even if we can’t grab that team option we still have no players signed for that final year with all eyes on re-upping our youngsters.

Let the BIG + Rozier play its course for 3 years. You only need $$ for backups at that point. So I ask again ... why does it matter how much you pay him?

This doesn’t even really have to be about Rozier. If there is someone out there we believe is “our guy” at PG for the next few years then throw the sink of whoever that may be and make it happen.

I mean if you want to throw a max contract at Kemba next offseason that is something I could get behind. But throwing 20 plus mill a year for a guy like Rozier is risky in my opinion. We've seen the success or rather lack of success that most of the players that have left Stevens system have had in other places. He's primarily been an inefficient guy for his entire career anyways even in that system. He shot under 40% last year and while he did shoot 38% from 3, during his big run in the playoffs that everyone points to he was already back down to 33%.

I think cap flexibility is important. Our last rebuild can give some credence to that. Throwing money at a player just because you might not have anything else to spend it on that summer isn't always a smart one. Cap space can always be used to take back a bigger contract in a trade. I fully believe that WeHams focus going forward will be to continue to maintain cap flexibility as well until this young core is closer to making that jump. I dont think next year will be that year.

might be overstated a bit. Crowder had more shots in Boston than in Cleveland. He looked back to normal in Utah except for his 3 pt %. Thomas was hurt when he was moved. Avery Bradley played about the same in Detroit as Boston. So who are these people that didnt play well after leaving Stevens?

If you look deeper into the advanced stats it's pretty clear. Especially for those guys like Crowder and Bradley that you mentioned (Bradley had a .2 BPM in Boston and it plummeted to an awful -4.5 last year, Crowder had a 1.6 BPM in Boston, dropped below -1.5 once he left) whose BPM and Defensive and offensive ratings plummeted once they left Boston. Both players were impact players in Stevens system in Boston but didn't make near the impact once they left. Both Crowder and Bradley were also guys that were thought to have the potential to take on a much bigger role as people are saying with Rozier now when they still played in that system, neither of them have and neither look any close to doing so.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#33 » by tiderulz » Thu Oct 4, 2018 4:12 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
PrimeThyme wrote:I mean if you want to throw a max contract at Kemba next offseason that is something I could get behind. But throwing 20 plus mill a year for a guy like Rozier is risky in my opinion. We've seen the success or rather lack of success that most of the players that have left Stevens system have had in other places. He's primarily been an inefficient guy for his entire career anyways even in that system. He shot under 40% last year and while he did shoot 38% from 3, during his big run in the playoffs that everyone points to he was already back down to 33%.

If you look deeper into the advanced stats it's pretty clear. Especially for those guys like Crowder and Bradley that you mentioned (Bradley had a .2 BPM in Boston and it plummeted to an awful -4.5 last year, Crowder had a 1.6 BPM in Boston, dropped below -1.5 once he left) whose BPM and Defensive and offensive ratings plummeted once they left Boston. Both players were impact players in Stevens system in Boston but didn't make near the impact once they left. Both Crowder and Bradley were also guys that were thought to have the potential to take on a much bigger role as people are saying with Rozier now when they still played in that system, neither of them have and neither look any close to doing so.

i dont believe any of them were as young as Rozier either.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#34 » by Skin » Thu Oct 4, 2018 5:45 pm

RickB-Orlando wrote:
The Real Dalic wrote:"It's not about the money" but just last week he told Jackie Macmullan that he wants to stay in Boston as long as the financial situation matches up with what he wants. I hate that lie so much, no one cares that you want to get paid, get your money, you earned it. But don't lie to the people.

I don't know, I think that quote can actually be accurate. The theory is that, so long as your compensation is above a certain base level (which varies for everyone) then job satisfaction and enjoying what you do is more important than additional compensation. I could interpret his comments along these lines as much as to mean just pay me."

As for Rozier, I'd be alright with him, but 1. I doubt it happens. 2. He's still being a little bit overrated around here. I think he's decent, but some people think of him being a budding star waiting for the right situation. He may be, but I don't see it. He wouls be a clear upgrade to Augustine at least.

I think of Rozier the way I do many players that are discussed on this board - he's a "Greener Grass Guy." The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, until you actually get there.

Have you seen our grass? :crazy:
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#35 » by Skin » Thu Oct 4, 2018 6:54 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
PrimeThyme wrote:I mean if you want to throw a max contract at Kemba next offseason that is something I could get behind. But throwing 20 plus mill a year for a guy like Rozier is risky in my opinion. We've seen the success or rather lack of success that most of the players that have left Stevens system have had in other places. He's primarily been an inefficient guy for his entire career anyways even in that system. He shot under 40% last year and while he did shoot 38% from 3, during his big run in the playoffs that everyone points to he was already back down to 33%.

BMP shouldn't be the tell all metric. BPM relies on a player's box score information and the team's overall performance to estimate a player's performance. If you're on a good team, your BMP will be better. BPM does not take into account playing time – it is purely a rate stat. ...and again, it's based off box scores.

There are limitations on all box score stats – if the box score doesn't measure a particular contribution, a box-score-based metric can only approximate that contribution. This is not a great hindrance on the offensive side, as nearly everything of importance on offense is captured by the box score (only missing things like screen-setting), but on defense the box score is quite limited. Blocks, steals, and rebounds, along with minutes and what little information offensive numbers yield about defensive performance are all that is available. Such critical components of defense as positioning, communication, and the other factors that make Kevin Garnett and Tim Duncan elite on defense can't be captured.

It's an old tired myth that doubters like to use as fear factor tactics to defend their stance. I don't remember people saying Crowder and Bradley had uptapped potential when they were in Boston. Seems to me they were being maxed out. If any other teams wanted them, I think the most they could've been hoping for was steady contribution, not improved contribution.

------------

I agree with you that cap flexibility is important, but I don't agree with you that they (WeHam) are going to save up until they can spend big on an established super star after the young ones are ready to turn the corner down the line. Their clock is ticking to produce a winner. They've already had 2 summers of basically staying still in FA. If you think there is going to be a 3rd summer in a row where they stay still, I think that's a miscalculation on your part. Their biggest new FA acquisition has been a $6M per year, Jonathon Simmons.

Next summer is gonna be huge. Vucevic and Ross will be FAs. Mozgov will be an expiring contract. They just gave AG a new 4 year deal and next summer he'll have 3 years left. These will not be wasted years of rookie development and low spending... with the plan to "spend big" at the backend of AG's deal.

What they need to do is start aligning this team to win with AG. AG is 23 years old. Rozier is 24 years old. Fournier is 25 years old. Bringing in a 19 year old rookie PG and waiting 3 years for him to develop is a bad plan. Especially when it fails like Elf. Why do people want a 29 year old Kemba Walker? This would be like us adding Serge Ibaka all over again... trying to fast forward the process with ready to win vets in order to try to chase the playoffs... with "young guys who are ready to turn the corner" in Payton, Fournier, Gordon, Vuc... We've been there, failed that.

I'm all in favor of bringing in Rozier and building a model that has the potential to be sustainable for a long time. There are stud wings in the draft that we can bring up behind Fournier. PGs... that cupboard is looking pretty bare in next year's draft.

Rozier, Fournier, Gordon, Isaac, Bamba with a lottery SG is a lot more favorable to me than drafting a rookie PG who needs 3 years to develop or signing a 29 year old Walker who's already had injury riddled seasons. We were blessed that Gordon took less than the max to resign. We can now afford to build around him with young budding players in his age range, so let's do it.

I don't want to have to compete with PHX in FA. Trade for him now, get his Restricted status and put all the leverage on our side in the summer.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
NavalAviator94
Analyst
And1: 1,456

Post#36 » by NavalAviator94 » Thu Oct 4, 2018 9:43 pm

Skin wrote:
PrimeThyme wrote:
tiderulz wrote:might be overstated a bit. Crowder had more shots in Boston than in Cleveland. He looked back to normal in Utah except for his 3 pt %. Thomas was hurt when he was moved. Avery Bradley played about the same in Detroit as Boston. So who are these people that didnt play well after leaving Stevens?

BMP shouldn't be the tell all metric. BPM relies on a player's box score information and the team's overall performance to estimate a player's performance. If you're on a good team, your BMP will be better. BPM does not take into account playing time – it is purely a rate stat. ...and again, it's based off box scores.

There are limitations on all box score stats – if the box score doesn't measure a particular contribution, a box-score-based metric can only approximate that contribution. This is not a great hindrance on the offensive side, as nearly everything of importance on offense is captured by the box score (only missing things like screen-setting), but on defense the box score is quite limited. Blocks, steals, and rebounds, along with minutes and what little information offensive numbers yield about defensive performance are all that is available. Such critical components of defense as positioning, communication, and the other factors that make Kevin Garnett and Tim Duncan elite on defense can't be captured.

It's an old tired myth that doubters like to use as fear factor tactics to defend their stance. I don't remember people saying Crowder and Bradley had uptapped potential when they were in Boston. Seems to me they were being maxed out. If any other teams wanted them, I think the most they could've been hoping for was steady contribution, not improved contribution.

------------

I agree with you that cap flexibility is important, but I don't agree with you that they (WeHam) are going to save up until they can spend big on an established super star after the young ones are ready to turn the corner down the line. Their clock is ticking to produce a winner. They've already had 2 summers of basically staying still in FA. If you think there is going to be a 3rd summer in a row where they stay still, I think that's a miscalculation on your part. Their biggest new FA acquisition has been a $6M per year, Jonathon Simmons.

Next summer is gonna be huge. Vucevic and Ross will be FAs. Mozgov will be an expiring contract. They just gave AG a new 4 year deal and next summer he'll have 3 years left. These will not be wasted years of rookie development and low spending... with the plan to "spend big" at the backend of AG's deal.

What they need to do is start aligning this team to win with AG. AG is 23 years old. Rozier is 24 years old. Fournier is 25 years old. Bringing in a 19 year old rookie PG and waiting 3 years for him to develop is a bad plan. Especially when it fails like Elf. Why do people want a 29 year old Kemba Walker? This would be like us adding Serge Ibaka all over again... trying to fast forward the process with ready to win vets in order to try to chase the playoffs... with "young guys who are ready to turn the corner" in Payton, Fournier, Gordon, Vuc... We've been there, failed that.

I'm all in favor of bringing in Rozier and building a model that has the potential to be sustainable for a long time. There are stud wings in the draft that we can bring up behind Fournier. PGs... that cupboard is looking pretty bare in next year's draft.

Rozier, Fournier, Gordon, Isaac, Bamba with a lottery SG is a lot more favorable to me than drafting a rookie PG who needs 3 years to develop or signing a 29 year old Walker who's already had injury riddled seasons. We were blessed that Gordon took less than the max to resign. We can now afford to build around him with young budding players in his age range, so let's do it.

I don't want to have to compete with PHX in FA. Trade for him now, get his Restricted status and put all the leverage on our side in the summer.

Solid argument Skin and you may be 100% right. If the Magic think he is their guy they should trade for him once we all see how health impacts our teams. I would think that whatever trade is put together, Boston is going to want to try and get a PG for insurance.

For me, I'm not sold on Rogier. I do like him and I believe it takes 5-6 years for a PG to be really good so I look at him through those eyes. What we can see is a lot of inconsistency. It's like a roller coaster with some really nice peaks but some major valley's and we need consistency. He does appear to have the right style and skills that would complement this team and if he makes another jump this year - I'm buying.

That leads me to Kemba, who I think would provide needed veteran leadership, elevating this team to another level. An Allstar floor general. Draft/Trade for a PG in the next couple of years. One that you can develop like a Dejounte Murray.

Still - if Rozier is the real deal, I would be excited too.
PrimeThyme
RealGM

Post#37 » by PrimeThyme » Fri Oct 5, 2018 4:07 am

Skin wrote:
PrimeThyme wrote:
tiderulz wrote:might be overstated a bit. Crowder had more shots in Boston than in Cleveland. He looked back to normal in Utah except for his 3 pt %. Thomas was hurt when he was moved. Avery Bradley played about the same in Detroit as Boston. So who are these people that didnt play well after leaving Stevens?

------------

There is a lot to unpack here and I'm not really interested in getting in the are all advanced stats credible/reliable debate (I do tend to agree with your general point about DBPM but that is irrelevant in this scenario as the significant drop that both Crowder and Bradley saw was in their OBPM, not their DBPM) so I'll start with this:

I don't remember people saying Crowder and Bradley had uptapped potential when they were in Boston. Seems to me they were being maxed out. If any other teams wanted them, I think the most they could've been hoping for was steady contribution, not improved contribution.

There 100% was, particularly with Bradley. Not necessarily that he would be a superstar but there was definitely potential all-star talk at the beginning of last season when they made the trade. Even assuming that they could sustain themselves as high-level role players outside of that system was a risk, as neither of them has made the same type of impact outside of it. We have seen certain systems, for instance in SAS or PHX, do the same thing for players. It's not a knock on the player per say as most players in this league outside of the top 20-30 need a system/situation that is going to maximize their skils to succeed, Its just the facts if it.

This is something that has been debated quite a bit this summer, and I still firmly land on the side of this FO has a lot more time than I think a lot of people may think/want, even Zack lowe alluded to it earlier this summer. It's not necessarily about saving that cap space for a big free agent, Its more about not spending it on role players this next year in a buyers market when this core isn't going to be ready to make that jump yet. I think that cap space will be spent just not yet. I admit I could be wrong though. The Clifford hiring is as questionable as it is peculiar to me. It is defiantly more of a win now hire in my opinion that I did not expect.

I do see where you are coming from with this, && I don't think that it necessarily would be a bad idea. As I've said all along, my argument is not against Rozier as a player bc if we could get him at a reasonable price I'd be for it, my argument against Rozier is the price tag and what it's going to cost for us to re-sign him. Even if you trade for Rozier now, you are competing with PHX in free agency, either way, it makes no difference to them they are still going to offer him a big contract regardless. Rozier in the 14-17 mill range is something that peaks my interest but anything over 20 and above (which is what I feel he will get) just doesn't interest me.

When I start to get into the stats debate with Rozier its only because I'm posting under the assumption that he is going to get a contract somewhere in the 20 mill plus range && with that type of money you are expected to become a potential All-star and at the very least a fringe all-star player && I do have questions that he can become that.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,298

Post#38 » by pepe1991 » Fri Oct 5, 2018 7:38 am

Not going into all this but indeed, when Bradley played for Cs i thought he is great defender and perfect role player.
Nowdays he bearly looks like rotation player ,sucks on defense and is big negative on offense.

Last year was beyond miserable for him.

Jae Crowder never looked like future star, but much like Bradley, looked like graet role player. 14 ppg player on decent percentages.
Nowdays he looks like Iwundu on offense, shooting 38% overall for Utah on 31% for 3. having ugly 49,9% TS with miserable off rating.
His gig with Cavs was even worst.

Over last few years Cs menaged to squeeze solid sesons from Brandon Bass , Jeff Green, Sullinger, Greg Monroe ,hell even Baynes.

How good is Rozier?
Well, 3 years into a league and he is yet to have 40% FG season.

In his "great " playoffs he shot 40% FG and 35% for 3 , didn't draw that much fouls but averaged 16 ppg on average 53% TS.

I would take him on normal contract, below $14M a year, however there are teams like Suns who might dump much more on him.
I have zero interest for him at $19-20M per year.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,632

Post#39 » by Skybox » Fri Oct 5, 2018 10:43 am

I really like Rozier, particularly in a trade-so we have his restricted rights. I don't see Ainge trading him for picks and parts though...The Celts are too good right now to take a step back for the future. They'll want a NOW piece like Gordon or even Isaac, IMO - which Orl shouldn't do. Maybe Fournier + would do it IF Ainge has been told that Rozier wants to lead his own team next year. Backing up Kyrie is probably not Rozier's dream, but having that stacked lineup is Ainge's.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#40 » by tiderulz » Fri Oct 5, 2018 1:03 pm

Skybox wrote:I really like Rozier, particularly in a trade-so we have his restricted rights. I don't see Ainge trading him for picks and parts though...The Celts are too good right now to take a step back for the future. They'll want a NOW piece like Gordon or even Isaac, IMO - which Orl shouldn't do. Maybe Fournier + would do it IF Ainge has been told that Rozier wants to lead his own team next year. Backing up Kyrie is probably not Rozier's dream, but having that stacked lineup is Ainge's.

see, i think Ainge will want pick(s). They already have players that they will have to pay soon (Tatum, Brown). to go along with Hayward, Smart, Horford, and Kyrie. they will need more cost controlled players/assets.

Return to Orlando Magic