ImageImageImageImage

Take a Chance on Markelle Fultz

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,116

Re: Take a Chance on Markelle Fultz 

Post#181 » by Def Swami » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:16 pm

No one in the league wants Fultz. The Magic don't need to overpay for Fultz. Jerian Grant or Jonathan Simmons for Fultz straight up works. They can have the OKC pick if they want. Everything else has way more value than Fultz.
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Jrnyc1992
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#182 » by Jrnyc1992 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:37 pm

What are the chances we get Markelle ? Do you think we are actually interested?
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,223

Post#183 » by pepe1991 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:13 pm

so you trade for him today and later this week you hear from his camp that he needs surgery than what?
Or he doesn't need surgery and he is fine, yet still shoots like he has glitch ?

Biggest reason why lot of fans want him is because they think they are getting former 2017 first round pick that was college sensation.
You don't. You get nba version of him with conflicting reports what actually happend to his jumpshot and nba career.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
magicmouse
Sophomore
And1: 71

Post#184 » by magicmouse » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:24 pm

pepe1991 wrote:so you trade for him today and later this week you hear from his camp that he needs surgery than what?
Or he doesn't need surgery and he is fine, yet still shoots like he has glitch ?

Biggest reason why lot of fans want him is because they think they are getting former 2017 first round pick that was college sensation.
You don't. You get nba version of him with conflicting reports what actually happend to his jumpshot and nba career.

All are you giving away is Grant and Simmons. Maybe the OKC pick. The Risk; the potential of getting our franchise PG vs a Back up defensive PG. Which is what Grant currently is. Simmons can be easely replaced by increasing more playing minutes to Iwundu and Isaac. I will take that risk 10/10 times
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,223

Post#185 » by pepe1991 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:44 am

magicmouse wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:so you trade for him today and later this week you hear from his camp that he needs surgery than what?

All are you giving away is Grant and Simmons. Maybe the OKC pick. The Risk; the potential of getting our franchise PG vs a Back up defensive PG. Which is what Grant currently is. Simmons can be easely replaced by increasing more playing minutes to Iwundu and Isaac. I will take that risk 10/10 times

Philly won't accept this offer. Simmons does not help long or short term, Grant is scrub.
It's more valuable for Philly to wait and see what's going on with him or trade him for proven player than dump him for salary dump and scrub. That OKc pick is heavly protected anyway.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Tarheel
Sixth Man
And1: 765

Post#186 » by Tarheel » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:18 am

Our management aren't going to give up any of BIG, Vuc, Evan, Ross, DJ or FRPs for him because the price is too high for the risk. Weltman has shown to be fairly risk adverse so far so I don't think he gambles anything of value.

If Philly will bite on any combination of Simms, Grant, Iwundu, Martin (Philly are thin at the 4) or the OKC pick then colour me very interested. I think that this price would be low enough to mitigate the risk for Weltman and all of those players except Iwundu can come off of Philly's books next year when they need to pay Jimmy.

Still would involve a bit of a bullet bite for the Sixers, not sure if they sell that low. They need to get rid of him before the deadline though to avoid paying him through next year. I saw on Twitter that Fultz's camp would prefer a trade to us, the Suns or the Cavs (not sure why the Cavs given that they have Sexton) so we should at least be scoping Elton's price.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,232

Post#187 » by Blue_and_Whte » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:43 pm

Whats the expected return on,a player with the yips? Because thats what he has.

Sent from my VS501 using RealGM mobile app
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
trebone
Lead Assistant
And1: 329

Post#188 » by trebone » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:24 pm

Simmons Grant OKC pick is worth the gamble IMO, he is better than Grant and if he doesnt pan out let him walk
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,874

Post#189 » by Last Guardian » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:33 pm

Tough one. Considering our PG rotation its hard not to consider, but I certainly wouldn't give up that much for him
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#190 » by MoMM » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:54 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:Whats the expected return on,a player with the yips? Because thats what he has.

Sent from my VS501 using RealGM mobile app

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2016/01/11/10-athletes-who-got-yips-and-how-their-careers-worked-out

NICK ANDERSON
The Houston Rockets swept the Orlando Magic in the 1995 NBA Finals. But in the waning moments of Game 1, Nick Anderson had the chance to ice the game for the Magic, who were ahead by three points. Instead, he bricked four consecutive free throws (he was a career 70 percent free throw shooter), the Rockets hit a three-pointer and went on to win in overtime. (Start the video at 2:50)

What happened next: After that, his career never fully recovered. His free throw percentage fell to around 40 percent in 1996-97. He played through the 2002-03 season with the Magic, Kings and Grizzlies, but never came back from his 1995 meltdown.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#191 » by Cammo101 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:18 pm

I'm only willing to take a chance on Fultz if the price is way low. Too much uncertainty and too much nonsense surrounding him. I may be in the minority, but if I'm going to take a risk on a point guard, I'll trade for John Wall. Yes, his contract sucks, but it's not like we are ever going to use our cap space to bring in a name free agent anyway. At least with Wall we'd get a go to player and a very good point guard. I'll take that risk unless someone has an idea better than hoping Fultz becomes less of a headcase.
RickB-Orlando
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,336

Post#192 » by RickB-Orlando » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:53 am

Tarheel wrote:Our management aren't going to give up any of BIG, Vuc, Evan, Ross, DJ or FRPs for him because the price is too high for the risk. Weltman has shown to be fairly risk adverse so far ...

I'm sorry but... you mean "averse." One does not make this trade if they are risk averse. Also, it may have an adverse effect on our team.

I know, nit-picking, but this is one of those that has always bugged me.

If Philly will bite on any combination of Simms, Grant, Iwundu, Martin (Philly are thin at the 4) or the OKC pick then colour me very interested. I think that this price would be low enough to mitigate the risk for Weltman and all of those players except Iwundu can come off of Philly's books next year when they need to pay Jimmy.

Still would involve a bit of a bullet bite for the Sixers, not sure if they sell that low. They need to get rid of him before the deadline though to avoid paying him through next year. I saw on Twitter that Fultz's camp would prefer a trade to us, the Suns or the Cavs (not sure why the Cavs given that they have Sexton) so we should at least be scoping Elton's price.

I think Fultz's value is so low at the moment that there's really little risk involved. For example, if we were to trade one of the players you've listed, or even two of them (maybe for cap reasons?) for him, we're really giving up so little that there's hardly any risk to mitigate. Unless there are concerns about his attitude (and I haven't read that anywhere) it seems like the perfect low risk/high reward scenario.

Personally, I would love to see us trade for Fultz. The kid had so much potential coming out of college, it wouldn't surprise me if he just exploded as a scorer if given an opportunity to play significant minutes, and our situation would likely be a great one in which to find that opportunity. What are the risks?

1. We exercise his option, only to have him wash out completely and retire, and we waste a few million on the deal.
2. We trade any of the listed players and they make an unexpected leap into stardom.
3. The OKC pick somehow turns out to be just the player for whom we've been searching.

None of those three really strike me as particularly likely to happen, and there's very little real impact (other than regret) if they did. It's just the sort of deal we should be looking for.
Tarheel
Sixth Man
And1: 765

Post#193 » by Tarheel » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:00 am

RickB-Orlando wrote:I think Fultz's value is so low at the moment that there's really little risk involved. For example, if we were to trade one of the players you've listed, or even two of them (maybe for cap reasons?) for him, we're really giving up so little that there's hardly any risk to mitigate. Unless there are concerns about his attitude (and I haven't read that anywhere) it seems like the perfect low risk/high reward scenario.

Personally, I would love to see us trade for Fultz. The kid had so much potential coming out of college, it wouldn't surprise me if he just exploded as a scorer if given an opportunity to play significant minutes, and our situation would likely be a great one in which to find that opportunity. What are the risks?

1. We exercise his option, only to have him wash out completely and retire, and we waste a few million on the deal.
2. We trade any of the listed players and they make an unexpected leap into stardom.
3. The OKC pick somehow turns out to be just the player for whom we've been searching.

None of those three really strike me as particularly likely to happen, and there's very little real impact (other than regret) if they did. It's just the sort of deal we should be looking for.

Precisely my point. The potential reward outweighs the risk if we're losing any one (or combination) of Iwundu, Simmons, Martin, Grant or the OKC 1st. Frankly losing some of those players would be addition by subtraction.
dsg2021
Analyst
And1: 1,030

Post#194 » by dsg2021 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:15 am

The OKC pick looks like a good, solid 1st rounder right now. That's already too high of a price to me. I'm off the Fultz wagon, personally.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#195 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Dec 4, 2018 10:58 pm

Read on Twitter
NotACat
Veteran
And1: 1,299

Post#196 » by NotACat » Tue Dec 4, 2018 11:57 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Philly medical staff must be stupid
Black Lives Matter
OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,940

Post#197 » by OrlandoDream » Wed Dec 5, 2018 12:20 am

Your not getting more than an expiring and a 2nd for this damaged goods. The question is, how the hell did it happen?!?!?
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,151

Post#198 » by Knightro » Wed Dec 5, 2018 12:21 am

I am still skeptical about this diagnosis.

If Fultz *believes* he's hurt, he might as well have one arm because it's not going to matter.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#199 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Dec 5, 2018 12:26 am

Hey Doc Swami can you please give us some insight on TOS?
CZ Eddie
Starter
And1: 725

Post#200 » by CZ Eddie » Wed Dec 5, 2018 3:26 am

Sounds like some made-up Dr House crap to me.
They just kept going to one Doctor after another till they found one who could put a customer-facing "label" on whatever is going on.
Keep your politics out of my sports

Return to Orlando Magic