ImageImageImageImage

Official UCF Sports Thread - Basketball: NIT Bid? Football: Spring Practice Underway

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Re: #7/8 UCF [12-0] AAC Champions 

Post#281 » by tiderulz » Thu Dec 6, 2018 2:08 am

nymets1 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
AdamTheGreek wrote:
Yeah, and he's not wrong (he's rarely wrong, which is why he's outstanding).

I really think we would get into a 'Power 5' before the playoff expansion kicks in. I do believe it's something we should start pushing. The AAC still doesn't fully have our back (Aresco is finally saying stuff but that man is lacking testicular fortitude).

Even though Florida beat LSU, I still consider LSU the better team of the two. Still, I really hate not being back in the Peach Bowl. LSU-Michigan have never met, and the Florida-UCF matchup would bring that state intrigue. I don't care what their AD says, UF ducked us. Michigan being ranked above us had no bearing. The Peach Bowl wanted us back again (and why wouldn't they, they made a ton of money off us, a lot more than from Auburn folks). Gator head coach also ranked UCF 11th in his final coaches poll. Come on guy. :crazy:

I hope we buy up our entire Fiesta Bowl allotment fairly quickly. I'll be curious to know how quickly LSU buys up theirs. If flights can drop down to about $500, I could talk myself into going if we don't sell our allotment out. January 1st instead of December 29th this year is a huge bummer. Last year was a 4-day weekend if I remember correctly (Atlanta trip was a blast, and that win against Auburn was the cherry on top). This time I have to work that Monday December 31st and then work Wednesday January 2nd unless I take days off or choose to work remotely. But right now flights are ridiculous, and that's not even having to factor in hotel etc.

you guys caught a break by Greedy Williams taking the bowl game off to prepare for the draft. not saying you guys need it, just that it helps

I thought Devin White wasn't going to play and than he announced that he is. But still LSU has more players than 1 guy.

yeah, but that 1 guy is probably one of if not the best DB in college football. Should be the first DB drafted
nymets1
Head Coach
And1: 1,353

Post#282 » by nymets1 » Thu Dec 6, 2018 6:50 am

Anyone saw this?

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/139-open-mike-26936807/episode/jalen-hurts-decision-and-ucf-uf-debate-30257007/

I've just learned about this radio station on twitter, went to my car and programmed the radio station than checked out their website. I haven't heard anything about Jalen Hurts transferring so how can they start this talk if he's staying at Alabama? He has to 1. be looking to transfer and 2. actually list UCF. If we don't have Mckenzie Milton next year, Darrell Mack shouldn't be losing the starting QB role to anyone else.
"Bodysurfing and always drive with the windows down"

"UCF 2017 only undefeated national champions"
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#283 » by tiderulz » Thu Dec 6, 2018 12:39 pm

nymets1 wrote:Anyone saw this?

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/139-open-mike-26936807/episode/jalen-hurts-decision-and-ucf-uf-debate-30257007/

I've just learned about this radio station on twitter, went to my car and programmed the radio station than checked out their website. I haven't heard anything about Jalen Hurts transferring so how can they start this talk if he's staying at Alabama? He has to 1. be looking to transfer and 2. actually list UCF. If we don't have Mckenzie Milton next year, Darrell Mack shouldn't be losing the starting QB role to anyone else.

He wont be staying at Alabama and we dont blame him. He has learned a lot with Enos coaching the QB's this year, but it still isnt his strength. No word of any school he is looking at yet, he is concentrating on getting ready for the next games.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,310

Post#284 » by Knightro » Thu Dec 6, 2018 1:12 pm

I don't think Hurts and UCF are a great fit. My expectation is that Hurts will look to go somewhere where he can be the no questions asked starting QB and he should have many options to choose from much like Kelly Bryant, who should step right into the starting gig at Mizzou with Lock going to the NFL.

At UCF, he certainly COULD win the starting job, but he'd definitely have to compete with Mack and he could potentially lose that competition.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,416

Post#285 » by UCFJayBird » Thu Dec 6, 2018 1:54 pm

tiderulz wrote:
nymets1 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:you guys caught a break by Greedy Williams taking the bowl game off to prepare for the draft. not saying you guys need it, just that it helps

I thought Devin White wasn't going to play and than he announced that he is. But still LSU has more players than 1 guy.

yeah, but that 1 guy is probably one of if not the best DB in college football. Should be the first DB drafted

you know we're missing our heisman candidate QB right?

edit: reread your post and it didn't sound nearly as aggressive. I'm already prepared for LSU fans using Greedy as an excuse, lol.
nymets1
Head Coach

Post#286 » by nymets1 » Thu Dec 6, 2018 2:00 pm

Exactly why I think 0% chance Jalen Hurts came here, Even with Mckenzie were not an option next year, Hurts would want to be the unquestioned starting QB. Hurts would have a huge competition with Darrell Mack but Mack would be the guy.

UCFSportsInfo

@UCFSportsInfo

Heard @Brett_McMurphy on @969thegame this morning. He said if UCF is the highest Group of 5 team in 2019 we'll be headed to the Cotton Bowl aka Jerry's World in Dallas.

@UCFsportsinfo(Twitter)

tiderulz
RealGM

Post#287 » by tiderulz » Thu Dec 6, 2018 2:13 pm

UCFJayBird wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
nymets1 wrote:

you know we're missing our heisman candidate QB right?

edit: reread your post and it didn't sound nearly as aggressive. I'm already prepared for LSU fans using Greedy as an excuse, lol.

lol, i would never give LSU an excuse. Bama and LSU dont exactly get along :D

wasnt trying be aggressive at all
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#288 » by Knightro » Thu Dec 6, 2018 2:13 pm

nymets1 wrote:Heard @Brett_McMurphy on @969thegame this morning. He said if UCF is the highest Group of 5 team in 2019 we'll be headed to the Cotton Bowl aka Jerry's World in Dallas.

This is accurate.

The Peach and the Fiesta are in the Playoff rotation in 2019.

The Sugar, Rose and Orange have contracted agreements with specific conferences. The only other option for the G5 at large bid in 2019 is the Cotton.
nymets1
Head Coach

Post#289 » by nymets1 » Thu Dec 6, 2018 4:51 pm

Knightro wrote:
nymets1 wrote:Heard @Brett_McMurphy on @969thegame this morning. He said if UCF is the highest Group of 5 team in 2019 we'll be headed to the Cotton Bowl aka Jerry's World in Dallas.

This is accurate.

The Peach and the Fiesta are in the Playoff rotation in 2019.

The Sugar, Rose and Orange have contracted agreements with specific conferences. The only other option for the G5 at large bid in 2019 is the Cotton.

Than after next year assuming there's still no playoff expansion or we don't get into P5 conference, Than they sending us to either Sugar or Rose bowl? What a resume that would be for UCF if they were to have played in Peach, Fiesta, Cotton, Rose and Sugar bowl.

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#290 » by Knightro » Thu Dec 6, 2018 5:00 pm

nymets1 wrote:Than after next year assuming there's still no playoff expansion or we don't get into P5 conference, Than they sending us to either Sugar or Rose bowl? What a resume that would be for UCF if they were to have played in Peach, Fiesta, Cotton, Rose and Sugar bowl.

No.

The Rose Bowl and the Sugar Bowl have contracted agreements with the Pac-12/Big and Ten Big 12/SEC. The Orange Bowl has an agreement with the ACC

The Peach, Cotton and Fiesta have no such agreements. So UCF, if they do not get into a bigger conference, will almost certainly be sent to one of those three bowls if they are the top rated G5 team.
nymets1
Head Coach

Post#291 » by nymets1 » Thu Dec 6, 2018 5:36 pm

Knightro wrote:
nymets1 wrote:Than after next year assuming there's still no playoff expansion or we don't get into P5 conference, Than they sending us to either Sugar or Rose bowl? What a resume that would be for UCF if they were to have played in Peach, Fiesta, Cotton, Rose and Sugar bowl.

No.

The Rose Bowl and the Sugar Bowl have contracted agreements with the Pac-12/Big and Ten Big 12/SEC. The Orange Bowl has an agreement with the ACC

The Peach, Cotton and Fiesta have no such agreements. So UCF, if they do not get into a bigger conference, will almost certainly be sent to one of those three bowls if they are the top rated G5 team.

So if they sent us to Cotton bowl next year, year 2020 they put us back to the peach bowl?

If they had to send UCF to Fiesta bowl because UCF can't be in peach bowl back to back years? Why couldn't they send Gators with us for Fiesta bowl and have Michigan vs LSU in Peach bowl? Who would we play in Cotton bowl next year? Georgia?

AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,114

Post#292 » by AdamTheGreek » Fri Dec 7, 2018 3:31 am

SGA is doing a charter flight for 158 students for $250 round trip which is wonderful. Wish more pop up.

One thing that no one outside of Orlando gave UCF credit for last year - aside from Killins talking **** to the SEC leading into the bowl game and national folks conveniently forgetting that Auburn was fully aware of it and we still won - was how well we prepared for Auburn despite our coaching staff being have preoccupied with Nebraska duties.

This time we have our coaching staff fully focused. I'm curious to see how much of the playbook we haven't unleashed yet because I know we've held back for much of the season.

Most importantly, we have 4 weeks to heal a lot of injured bodies (Jasinski being one of the most important).
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
nymets1
Head Coach

Post#293 » by nymets1 » Fri Dec 7, 2018 11:53 am

I have a feeling next year its UCF vs Georgia in the cotton bowl so i'm calling it right now. Assuming Alabama makes the top 4 which they probably will, They don't want 2 SEC teams in the top 4. Unless Georgia made it instead than we get Alabama. I see the pattern with us playing SEC teams in the bowl games these last 2 years Auburn and LSU. Georgia or Alabama is next up, Likely UCF vs Georgia.

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,905

Post#294 » by drsd » Fri Dec 7, 2018 7:19 pm

nymets1 wrote:I have a feeling next year its UCF vs Georgia in the cotton bowl so i'm calling it right now. Assuming Alabama makes the top 4 which they probably will, They don't want 2 SEC teams in the top 4. Unless Georgia made it instead than we get Alabama. I see the pattern with us playing SEC teams in the bowl games these last 2 years Auburn and LSU. Georgia or Alabama is next up, Likely UCF vs Georgia.

If UCF beats LSU and is undefeated going into the next Bowl season, there is a point were the media will not tolerate this fiasco.

UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#295 » by UCFJayBird » Fri Dec 7, 2018 7:50 pm

Read on Twitter

Details forthcoming

edit: worth noting Frost also got an extension after his first season. But also worth remembering Heupel's initial buy-out was like 10m. We'll see if his new contract keeps it that high.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#296 » by Knightro » Fri Dec 7, 2018 8:21 pm

Heupel's original contract was a 5-year deal running from 2018 through 2022 at a 1.7M base salary with 250K in yearly performance bonuses (which he hit in full this year) and 25% of yearly season ticket revenue over what the Knights season ticket revenue was in 2017.

In 2017, UCF sold approximately 15,000 season tickets. In 2018, they sold approximately 24,000 season tickets. Heupel gets 25% of that 9,000 additional season ticket revenue. I don't have access to that exact dollar amount, but it's conservatively another 200-300K bringing his total compensation for 2018 to roughly 2.25M.

His original contract also had a $10M buyout to UCF through the bowl game in 2020. So it locked him in for 3 full years or UCF would get $10M dollars.

His new contract gives him a 1 year extension through 2023 with new compensation terms.

I'll let you know as soon as I know those details.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#297 » by UCFJayBird » Fri Dec 7, 2018 8:32 pm

Knightro wrote:Heupel's original deal was a 5 year contract running from 2018 through 2022 at a 1.7M base salary with 250K in yearly performance bonuses (which he hit in full this year) and 25% of yearly season ticket revenue over what the Knights season ticket revenue was in 2017.

In 2017, UCF sold approximately 15,000 season tickets. In 2018, they sold approximately 24,000 season tickets. Heupel gets 25% of that 9,000 additional season ticket revenue. I don't have access to that exact dollar amount, but it's conservatively another 200-300K to Heupel bringing his compensation this year to roughly 2.25M.

His original contract also had a $10M buyout to UCF through the bowl game in 2020. So it locked him in for 3 full years or UCF would get $10M dollars.

His new contract gives him a 1 year extension through 2023 with new compensation terms.

I'll let you know as soon as I know those details.

Based on what UCF sent out it looks like the buyout remains, looks like they gave him more money for media appearances and things like that. Also kinda looks like they changed the baseline year for change in ticket sales to 2018 instead of 2017. Maybe had to give that up to get something else.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#298 » by tiderulz » Fri Dec 7, 2018 8:35 pm

UCFJayBird wrote:
Read on Twitter

Details forthcoming

edit: worth noting Frost also got an extension after his first season. But also worth remembering Heupel's initial buy-out was like 10m. We'll see if his new contract keeps it that high.

never been a fan of extensions this early. who's to say this just isnt an extension of what Frost did last year.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#299 » by Knightro » Fri Dec 7, 2018 8:41 pm

UCFJayBird wrote:Based on what UCF sent out it looks like the buyout remains, looks like they gave him more money for media appearances and things like that. Also kinda looks like they changed the baseline year for change in ticket sales to 2018 instead of 2017. Maybe had to give that up to get something else.

If my math is correct, it looks like Heupel is going to be making about 600K more per year on media appearances and sponsorships while making probably 1/5th of what he made on the season ticket thing from last year.

2018: 1.7M base, 250K performance bonuses, approximately 300K season tickets = roughly 2.25M
2019: 1.7M base, 600K media/sponsorships, 250K performance bonuses, approximately 50K season tickets = roughly 2.6M

So all total about a 350K bump per year. Nothing too crazy.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#300 » by craig01 » Fri Dec 7, 2018 10:24 pm

That's getting to be serious money
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability

Return to Orlando Magic