ImageImageImageImage

Official UCF Sports Thread - Basketball: NIT Bid? Football: Spring Practice Underway

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,151

Re: UCF Football #22: @ Pitt 

Post#841 » by Knightro » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:07 pm

Winning out and getting another NY6 bowl is very much still in play IMO.

Just gotta see how these guys respond to their first real taste of adversity.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Re: UCF Football #22: @ Pitt 

Post#842 » by MagicFan101 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:43 pm

craig01 wrote:
silent1900 wrote:Just read on ESPN that with Houston having started 1-3, their QB King (and one of their WRs) are going to now redshirt and come back next year (probably).

Man, a healthy senior starter using the four game redshirt option? Can’t imagine that was what the rule makers envisioned when they passed it...

It’s certainly a strategic move.

This looks to be a marginal year for Houston at best.

If he stays, then next year is a reload with the staff and roster having settled down somewhat.

If he leaves, then he can go where he sees himself as a good fit.

Don’t most expect that King will be moving on to somewhere else next season?

Absolutely the case.

If college truly is meant to be a place for people to go and build themselves for a successful post-academic career then I have no issue with this whatsoever.

Maybe being a Magic fan has desensitized me to players moving on but the entire concept of “players need to be loyal to the team” argument is ridiculous. It is great when you have a lifelong star or 4-year starter but programs cut, trade, bench and dismiss players at the drop of a hat if it serves them ... and they should! But that cuts both ways and so to should the players have a right to focus on their best interest.
MagicFan101
RealGM

Re: UCF Football #22: vs UCONN 

Post#843 » by MagicFan101 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:19 am

UCF adds home-and-home series with Boise State and BYU.

Oklahoma and Florida would have done more but at least they are trying.
nymets1
Head Coach
And1: 1,353

Post#844 » by nymets1 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:51 am

I wouldn't be surprised if Boise State went undefeated through the conference championship game. Even though they beat an overrated/bad FSU team and only beat Marshall by 7 points, Their Mountain West Conference isn't as good or tough as the AAC. UCF still has to play at Cincinnati which is going to be a concern and our toughest regular season game left.
"Bodysurfing and always drive with the windows down"

"UCF 2017 only undefeated national champions"
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#845 » by Knightro » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:05 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:UCF adds home-and-home series with Boise State and BYU.

If Oklahoma and Florida would agree to a home-and-home, those deals would have been signed a long time ago believe me.

Florida wants the UCF "home" game to be at Camping World Stadium where UCF wouldn't be in control of the ticket sales and that's just not happening.

The Gators simply will not agree to a road game against a G5 where they're only going to be allotted 5K tickets.

They're willing to play USF because Raymond James Stadium holds 66K and it's gonna be at 70/30 Gators fans.
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#846 » by MagicFan101 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:36 pm

Knightro wrote:

If Oklahoma and Florida would agree to a home-and-home, those deals would have been signed a long time ago believe me.

Florida wants the UCF "home" game to be at Camping World Stadium where UCF wouldn't be in control of the ticket sales and that's just not happening.

The Gators simply will not agree to a road game against a G5 where they're only going to be allotted 5K tickets.

They're willing to play USF because Raymond James Stadium holds 66K and it's gonna be at 70/30 Gators fans.

I fully understand the situation.

But IMO it is worth setting ego aside, swallowing a cash hit for a year and accepting a single road game with a legit powerhouse.

Prove we can be a financial win for these programs. Oklahoma, Florida and such are not short on suitors for filling out their schedule. If UCF wants a home-home or a neutral site game they need to separate themselves from the pack.

But it is what it is now. Boise and BYU are a big step up from most of the conference schedule. Not what I wanted but all in all this is very good news.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#847 » by Knightro » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:06 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:I fully understand the situation.

But IMO it is worth setting ego aside, swallowing a cash hit for a year and accepting a single road game with a legit powerhouse.

Prove we can be a financial win for these programs. Oklahoma, Florida and such are not short on suitors for filling out their schedule. If UCF wants a home-home or a neutral site game they need to separate themselves from the pack.

But it is what it is now. Boise and BYU are a big step up from most of the conference schedule. Not what I wanted but all in all this is very good news.

I'd argue that a single road game against a good P5, *especially* if the Knights win, doesn't actually do much beneficial for UCF outside of the fun factor of winning that individual game.

A loss to a G5 is more damaging to a P5 than the win is helpful to the G5 team.
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#848 » by MagicFan101 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:48 pm

Knightro wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:I fully understand the situation.

I'd argue that a single road game against a good P5, *especially* if the Knights win, doesn't actually do much beneficial for UCF outside of the fun factor of winning that individual game.

A loss to a G5 is more damaging to a P5 than the win is helpful to the G5 team.

“More Damaging” and “Less Helpful” is relative to your goals and expectations.

If winning a championship is your goal (it is mine) then you can’t be scared of a loss.

If going undefeated and patting yourself on the back for beating underwhelming opponents is your goal then I guess that is fine. But that isn’t what I want for any of my alma maters.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#849 » by Knightro » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:43 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:“More Damaging” and “Less Helpful” is relative to your goals and expectations.

If winning a championship is your goal (it is mine) then you can’t be scared of a loss.

If going undefeated and patting yourself on the back for beating underwhelming opponents is your goal then I guess that is fine. But that isn’t what I want for any of my alma maters.

UCF will not under *any* circumstances make the College Football Playoff as a Group of 5 team.

Flat out.

So this idea of UCF costing themselves "winning a championship" is not really something that crosses my mind because they're not getting any no matter what.
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#850 » by MagicFan101 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:48 pm

Knightro wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:“More Damaging” and “Less Helpful” is relative to your goals and expectations.

UCF will not under *any* circumstances make the College Football Playoff as a Group of 5 team.

Flat out.

So this idea of UCF costing themselves "winning a championship" is not really something that crosses my mind because they're not getting any no matter what.

False.

A change to the playoff system is surely a member of “*any* circumstance” and under that scenario UCF absolutely has a chance to earn a spot in say an 8 team playoff as a Group of 5 member.

These latest agreements extend through 2024. The next big schedule could take them through 2030.

It isn’t beyond the realm of possibility that a big change is made well before then. I might even call it likely.

... so I would pressure the UCF decision makers to adopt a forward looking approach to their scheduling strategy.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#851 » by Knightro » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:51 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:False.

A change to the playoff system is surely a member of “*any* circumstance” and under that scenario UCF absolutely has a chance to earn a spot in say an 8 team playoff as a Group of 5 member.

These latest agreements extend through 2024. The next big schedule could take them through 2030.

It isn’t beyond the realm of possibility that a big change is made well before then. I might even call it likely.

... so I would pressure the UCF decision makers to adopt a forward looking approach to their scheduling strategy.

So you do agree that UCF can't make the playoffs as it is presently constructed? Because that's what I said.
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#852 » by MagicFan101 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:56 pm

Knightro wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:False.

So you do agree that UCF can't make the playoffs as it is presently constructed? Because that's what I said.

They went undefeated and were laughed out of the room (as they should have been).

So I’m not sure why this had to be said, but yes I agree.

Does that mean UCF should pack their bags and give up on a future?

The call for expansion to the playoffs is heard across the country. Money will win out and that change will come ... relatively soon.

Will UCF have the foresight to build a schedule in advance allowing them to stumble into a good situation at the right time?
nymets1
Head Coach

Post#853 » by nymets1 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:40 am

Knightro wrote:

This is a problem with schools like USF/Miami/Houston/Pittsburgh, etc that don't have a football stadium on their campus to play their home games.

I've been on the USF campus before its kinda small and I don't think they have room for a football stadium on campus. Unless USF relocates their campus to have their campus bigger or build a secondary USF campus that build a football stadium, USF is never going to have a football stadium on their campus and probably play their home games at Raymond James stadium forever.

nymets1
Head Coach

Post#854 » by nymets1 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:52 am

With the news of UCF scheduling Boise State and BYU. I just thought what's UCF non conference schedule for next season.

North Carolina
At Georgia Tech
FIU

Than there's our 8 conference games. Than I noticed we are missing 1 more non conference game because college football teams have 13 weeks in a regular season with 12 games and a bye week. So what's the other missing game for next season?

UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod
And1: 1,073

Post#855 » by UCF » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:28 am

Likely a D2 game. Hasn’t been announced yet.
silent1900
Rookie
And1: 338

Post#856 » by silent1900 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:56 pm

Pitt currently trailing the Delaware Blue Hens in the 3rd. :nonono:
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#857 » by Knightro » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:25 pm

nymets1 wrote:With the news of UCF scheduling Boise State and BYU. I just thought what's UCF non conference schedule for next season.

North Carolina
At Georgia Tech
FIU

Than there's our 8 conference games. Than I noticed we are missing 1 more non conference game because college football teams have 13 weeks in a regular season with 12 games and a bye week. So what's the other missing game for next season?

It will be an FCS game at home similar to the FAMU game.

UCF's out of conference schedule under Danny White is going to look something like this every year.

P5 at home
P5 on the road
G5 at home or on the road
FCS at home
nymets1
Head Coach

Post#858 » by nymets1 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:20 pm

silent1900 wrote:Pitt currently trailing the Delaware Blue Hens in the 3rd. :nonono:

Big relief that Pitt hanged on. That would have been an embarrassing loss to Pitt as well as UCF. Better for UCF the more games that Pitt continues to win this year.

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#859 » by Knightro » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:45 pm

This is going to be a vicious blowout. UCONN doesn't have the athletes and they're committing turnovers. Good recipe for a 50 point rout.

Gabriel's inability/unwillingness to run is still supremely frustrating.
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod
And1: 1,073

Post#860 » by UCF » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:56 pm

It just doesn’t make sense why he won’t run.

Return to Orlando Magic