ImageImageImageImage

Would you still take Isaac or DSJ? (poll)

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Isaac or DSJ?

Isaac
80%
DSJ
20%

Total votes: 45

PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,371

Would you still take Isaac or DSJ? (poll) 

Post#1 » by PrimeThyme » Fri Dec 7, 2018 9:29 pm

The Isaac/DSJ debate has been a major one on this board since draft night in 2017. I've seen it brought up here many times early on this year as well by certain posters that post his stats saying that we could have taken him over Isaac. I'm interested to see the overall consensus so far on this debate though.

Isaac stats so far in 23 mpg:
Spoiler:
8 ppg on 6 FGA, 5 rpg, 1.1 bpg, 44 fg%, 28 3pt fg%, -1 net rtg, -.06 BPM.

DSJ's stats so far in 28 mpg:
Spoiler:
13 ppg on 11 FGA, 2.8 rpg, 4.2 apg, 44 fg%, 35 3pt fg%, -7.8 net rtg, -2.3 BPM.

Read on Twitter
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Re: Would you still take Isaac or DSJ? (poll) 

Post#2 » by OrlandO » Fri Dec 7, 2018 9:36 pm

Isaac is an impact defender... our best defender since Dwight. Just watching him on defense you can see he stands out from the rest of the team with his foot/hand speed, ability to recover, knowing how to use his length, and instincts. It is rare for young players to play defense like that out of the gates. That alone makes me prefer him. DSJ is alright, but he's going to have to up his scoring by a lot for me to feel regret anytime soon.

Isaac can get a little wild on offense, but he looks very fluid/smooth to me with the ball on drives from start to finish for such a long player (not robotic like AG) plus he has the length and hustle to do offball and garbage man stuff which is always a welcome, so I'd like to see what he looks like after a couple more years of development. He's got a chance to be a special two way player.

pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,269

Post#3 » by pepe1991 » Fri Dec 7, 2018 9:39 pm

Smith would still make more sense due Gordon/Isaac overlapping problems and struggles when they share floor and Vučević isn't around to keep thing smooth.

But , just like whole "should we tank" thing at some point it's just pointless to debate about things that won't and can't change.
Both players look better this than they did last year.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#4 » by Nemesis21 » Fri Dec 7, 2018 9:54 pm

Isaac all day. But I don't f**k up the following year, by not trading up for Doncic.
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,659

Post#5 » by orlando_joe » Fri Dec 7, 2018 10:08 pm

this should not be close said it before draft nothing changed isaac
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,371

Post#6 » by PrimeThyme » Fri Dec 7, 2018 10:10 pm

pepe1991 wrote:Smith would still make more sense due Gordon/Isaac overlapping problems and struggles when they share floor and Vučević isn't around to keep thing smooth.

But , just like whole "should we tank" thing at some point it's just pointless to debate about things that won't and can't change.
Both players look better this than they did last year.

I don't see it as pointless. 2017 was WeHams first draft and that was a huge pick for us. I think going back and debating whether we made the right choice or not especially when the board was so divided on us not picking DSJ is a good thing to track over the years.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#7 » by MagicFan101 » Fri Dec 7, 2018 10:23 pm

It was a coin flip decision for me on draft night and it remains one today.

Both have impressed me and both have had their struggles.

I’m happy with our choice and as a Dallas resident I can assure they are happy with their choice as well.
NotACat
Veteran
And1: 1,300

Post#8 » by NotACat » Fri Dec 7, 2018 10:59 pm

Preferred Isaac on draft night, still prefer him now
Black Lives Matter
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,917

Post#9 » by MagicMatic » Fri Dec 7, 2018 11:02 pm

Nearly nobody is going to say DSJr when answering this question because Isaac is part of the Magic.

If this question was in relation to building a better roster? DSJ would be starting over DJ and AG would be without question starting PF. Isaac comes off the bench for Simmons and Iwundu, so it’s safe to say Clifford doesn’t view the AG/Isaac switchability everyone was vying for and fawning over.

So the question becomes would you rather have a mildly inconsistent starting point guard or a defensive wing that is coming off the bench? I would probably still choose DSJr because I don’t think depth is something Orlando should be worried about if they lack a starting point guard and swingman. That isn’t to say I don’t view Isaac as special, but as long as AG is starting and Clifford is the coach it’s a choice that makes sense to me.

In a vacuum I still take Isaac if I’m not taking into account the current roster situation at all.
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,050

Post#10 » by MagicStarwipe » Sat Dec 8, 2018 12:11 am

Isaac seems to be the bigger impact player. Unless DSJ becomes a big time scorer I don't see that changing.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
King-
Rookie
And1: 676

Post#11 » by King- » Sat Dec 8, 2018 8:09 am

The real question is Issac over Markkanen... that's going to be one of the worst draft mistakes of the decade.

Anybody who'd take Isaac over Markkanen is kidding themselves. People always talk about Isaac's defense, but markkanen is already a good defender too and can be a great defender himself so Isaacs defense really doesn't mean much when he cant shoot and the other guy is literally just like KP on offense, and maybe even better because hes more mobile and can do things even KP/any other 7 footers can do... like drive and kick, etc.

We **** this one up. Gonna be painful having to decide how much to pay isaac in a couple years if he doesnt develop a consistent jumper and this kid is in the all star game for the Bulls. Smh. :banghead:
Viper1500
Head Coach
And1: 2,700

Post#12 » by Viper1500 » Sun Dec 9, 2018 11:16 pm

I was all for DSJ, but Issac is and was clearly the right pick.
EAS Law
Analyst
And1: 3,456

Post#13 » by EAS Law » Sun Dec 9, 2018 11:28 pm

We have big defensive Problems without JI. It makes a difference when he plays or doesn’t play. Add to that he looks competent on offense so far, and I think he still has a ton of room to become an amazing choice for us.

The biggest thing is that we find ourselves in desperate need of a solid starting PG right now, so DSJ seems like he’d have been the savior. The problem with that thought is that you have to consider context in all of these situations. We don’t know what was or wasn’t in the table in any trade situation and we don’t know what happens to the construction of our team going a different path.

So far, WeHam has done well for us. I will admit being wrong on them a lot so far. They have given us a watchable team and we are improving all the time under their direction. I’m happy with JI. He doesn’t do the glamorous stuff, but I assure you, you’ve forgotten how awful perimeter D killed us for years. I would argue that this was a big reason for Vuc looking so awful at the rim. He was always in a position that he had to switch and it allowed for easy dump offs at the rim which killed his stats and our win/loss results. Having a defender like JI that can also put it in the basket at a competent level is what we needed.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,143

Post#14 » by Def Swami » Sun Dec 9, 2018 11:35 pm

I wonder how Dallas fans would answer this poll. I'm really encouraged by Isaac's occasional assertiveness on offense, but the team desperately needs a point guard, scorer, and playmaker. I'd still go with Dennis Smith's potential, but I do really like Isaac's game. I've come around on him. Plays like the one OrlandO showed above give me some hope that he might be able to be more than what he's showed,
OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,940

Post#15 » by OrlandoDream » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:51 am

Isaac over DSJr yes. Bamba and 19 pick over Luka? NO!
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,017

Post#16 » by fendilim » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:24 am

King- wrote:The real question is Issac over Markkanen... that's going to be one of the worst draft mistakes of the decade.

Anybody who'd take Isaac over Markkanen is kidding themselves. People always talk about Isaac's defense, but markkanen is already a good defender too and can be a great defender himself so Isaacs defense really doesn't mean much when he cant shoot and the other guy is literally just like KP on offense, and maybe even better because hes more mobile and can do things even KP/any other 7 footers can do... like drive and kick, etc.

We **** this one up. Gonna be painful having to decide how much to pay isaac in a couple years if he doesnt develop a consistent jumper and this kid is in the all star game for the Bulls. Smh. :banghead:

This. Lauri has been beasting.
Audi
Analyst
And1: 2,774

Post#17 » by Audi » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:11 am

fendilim wrote:
King- wrote:The real question is Issac over Markkanen... that's going to be one of the worst draft mistakes of the decade.

This. Lauri has been beasting.

Has he though?
Abra Cadabra, Razzmatazz, Slam-Dunk Sesame, Hocus Pocus, Alacazam, Gonna set the spirit free
Keeping The Original Orlando Magic Theme Song Alive
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,269

Post#18 » by pepe1991 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:53 am

Lauri is really talented and his shooting is legit but Bulls team is not built to help him

So many trash guards who can't or won't defend.
He just returned from injury and he had strong rookie year.
I can see him being 18-22 ppg / 9-10 rpg player in soon future
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,905

Post#19 » by drsd » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:21 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:It was a coin flip decision for me on draft night and it remains one today.

Both have impressed me and both have had their struggles.

I still think Isaac will emerge as a 6th-level quality out of the draft. Yes the Magic need a guard. But if the team had drafted Smith, Orlando would need a forward and we would all be inverting this conversation about whether management should have drafted Isaac over Smith.

dsg2021
Analyst
And1: 1,033

Post#20 » by dsg2021 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:38 pm

A non-defensive PF instead of an elite, 2-way SF/PF with Isaac (in the soon future)?.. The riot I would have after all of the Vooch hate.. :lol: .. Maybe if Markkanen reaches Dirk-level offense? Not really possible though. Dirk is HOF, with a ring, for a reason.

Return to Orlando Magic