ImageImageImageImage

Trade deadline predictions for the magic

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Re: Trade deadline predictions for the magic 

Post#161 » by Skin » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:59 pm

Howard Mass wrote:I think the point guard situation gets addressed this summer.

Terry Rozier probably doesn't get moved with the uncertainty around Kyrie Irving but I would not give assets to acquire him because some team could end up making an offer more than The Magic are willing to pay and they are out assets.

I do feel there is a solution in The Draft with Murray or Garland.

Hello Dr. Positivity. I always look to you for renewed hope!

So should I cheer for us to chase the playoffs or hope we win the lottery so we can get Murray?
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,654

Post#162 » by Howard Mass » Fri Feb 1, 2019 12:05 am

Skin wrote:

Terry Rozier probably doesn't get moved with the uncertainty around Kyrie Irving but I would not give assets to acquire him because some team could end up making an offer more than The Magic are willing to pay and they are out assets.

So should I cheer for us to chase the playoffs or hope we win the lottery so we can get Murray?

LOL!

This team is sadly not a playoff team.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#163 » by Skin » Fri Feb 1, 2019 12:32 am

Howard Mass wrote:
Skin wrote:

LOL!

Well, what can you make sense out of this madness? Our rebuild is the absolute worst in the entire NBA.

What do you make out of this front office? I can't stand their idleness and seeming lack of direction. What is their roadmap to success?
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#164 » by Howard Mass » Fri Feb 1, 2019 12:52 am

Skin wrote:
Howard Mass wrote:
Skin wrote:Hello Dr. Positivity. I always look to you for renewed hope!

LOL!

Well, what can you make sense out of this madness? Our rebuild is the absolute worst in the entire NBA.

What do you make out of this front office? I can't stand their idleness and seeming lack of direction. What is their roadmap to success?

This rebuild has sucked.

It started off ok minus the building of a losing culture but things went bad when Hennigan gave into Hinkie's extortion for Elfrid Payton. Before that, he did some really good moves.

Then, Hezonja was a bust, management forced their hand in giving away Tobias Harris for nothing and then a disaster of a trade. I thought it was bad when they threw in Sabonis but then they signed Biyombo without making a move at the swing and we saw the disaster that was.

I actually like what Weltman and Hammond have done.

The problem is this team has too many of their talent in the frontcourt including a question of whether Gordon and Issac can play together long-term.

They need to get stronger at the point guard and on the wing. Most importantly they need a player who can create and also one who can be a go-to scorer.

The last rebuild was screwed towards the end and has caused the delay.

It is extremely frustrating seeing all of these teams improve so much quicker than The Magic.

Big decisions coming this summer but if The Magic do anything outside of a small move at the deadline (I'd bet on Simmons moving), it will be very bold.

Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#165 » by Howard Mass » Fri Feb 1, 2019 12:54 am

Skin wrote:
Howard Mass wrote:
Skin wrote:Hello Dr. Positivity. I always look to you for renewed hope!

LOL!

They came in with a tough cap situation and drafted who they felt were best in each Draft.

They are not forcing anything and we will see a bigger vision of their direction this summer depending on what happens with Vucevic and T-Ross.

OrlandoMagic
Lead Assistant
And1: 435

Post#166 » by OrlandoMagic » Fri Feb 1, 2019 1:29 am

Magic Fans Expetctations = Porzingis who has been injured all year got a package including DSJ, So Vuc who is an All Star must get us Kemba Walker, Jayson Tatum and 2 1st Round picks in a three way deal

Versus

Magic Fans Realization = Vuc for a 1st round pick
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#167 » by SD2042 » Fri Feb 1, 2019 5:54 am

OrlandoMagic wrote:Magic Fans Expetctations = Porzingis who has been injured all year got a package including DSJ, So Vuc who is an All Star must get us Kemba Walker, Jayson Tatum and 2 1st Round picks in a three way deal

Versus

Magic Fans Realization = Vuc for a 1st round pick

For the Mavs, it's a bold move and a high risk move. KP has been banged up and will likely be playing next season for the Mavs. I hope for their sake it pays off for them. To he Knicks, getting DSJ makes Ntilikina a liability. Getting two expiring contracts helps their cap room. Although I doubt they will acquire key free agents. So God help the Knicks.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,150

Post#168 » by Def Swami » Fri Feb 1, 2019 11:38 pm

I initially thought that the Magic would make a play for Rozier. Maybe Simmons and the OKC pick for Rozier. But now with Irving's future in Boston seeming in flux, I don't think there's any chance that Boston moves Rozier.

I think Simmons gets moved for a 2nd round pick. That's about it. Nothing more. Nothing less. The wheels keep on spinning.
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,516

Post#169 » by DiplomaticMagic » Sat Feb 2, 2019 12:49 am

A Fultz trade for Ross seems likely to me.
STOP PLAYING FULTZ
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,150

Post#170 » by Def Swami » Sat Feb 2, 2019 1:35 am

DiplomaticMagic wrote:A Fultz trade for Ross seems likely to me.

I was really against a Fultz trade earlier, because I'm so doubtful on his ability to overcome his anxiety. But, this season is so far gone, the Magic really have nothing to lose here. Might as well take a shot.
BadHombre
Senior
And1: 481

Post#171 » by BadHombre » Sat Feb 2, 2019 2:56 am

I think we come away with one of Fultz or DSJr now. Will just depend on which one comes cheapest.
swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,153

Post#172 » by swarlesbarkley » Sat Feb 2, 2019 3:46 am

We could have a really great situation if we snag Fultz here. Cost would be relatively low for a 1st pick in the draft in year 2. If he doesn't improve, the Sixers still look like the fools for drafting him, not us. If he plays up to his expectations, we'd have a star for years and he may actually want to stay with us since we were the team to give him a chance to start over.

They want depth? Give them Ross and Birch or Simmons. Just get Fultz.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,924

Post#173 » by drsd » Sat Feb 2, 2019 9:44 am

If the Magic plans on writing off the season, this makes good sense to me. Any chance to get a starting-capable prospect must be worth the gamble. Fultz' contract would not cripple the team if he fails to heal / develop a competent jumper.

At worst, Fultz would simply be Orlando's backup PG at 10M a year. And then when Mozgov come off the books, then Orlando could make a PG splash.

At best, Orlando traded an expiring contract for a Multi-year Allstar.

The reward is worth the risk.

p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,001

Post#174 » by p0peye » Sat Feb 2, 2019 10:03 am

drsd wrote:

If the Magic plans on writing off the season, this makes good sense to me. Any chance to get a starting-capable prospect must be worth the gamble. Fultz' contract would not cripple the team if he fails to heal / develop a competent jumper.

At worst, Fultz would simply be Orlando's backup PG at 10M a year. And then when Mozgov come off the books, then Orlando could make a PG splash.

At best, Orlando traded an expiring contract for a Multi-year Allstar.

The reward is worth the risk.

Low risk, high reward. I'd think Weltham would take that if opportunity presents itself. But considering how much play-safe (or do-nothing) they are, who knows?
Mrrags009
Junior
And1: 34

Post#175 » by Mrrags009 » Sat Feb 2, 2019 1:08 pm

NotACat wrote:
Village Idiot wrote:
rcklsscognition wrote:I think we move AG at the deadline. Have no idea who for.
CJ McCollum like Lowe suggested?

FYI Lillard took the game off yesterday vs. Atlanta so CJ got his first start at PG this season. He responded with his first career triple double. It seems he happy to facilitate for his teammates when that is his role.

Getting CJ for AG creates a different void in our roster. Plus CJ is paid much more and is significantly older which doesn't fit our timeline. Significant by NBA age
Serious question : do we believe all young players will be good at the same time . The timeline thing puzzles me because eventually you'll see some players aren't that good and by then they have no value . Who cares if a guy is a little older he can play bring him in and school these younger guys a bit .

Sent from my SM-N950U using RealGM mobile app
NotACat
Veteran
And1: 1,300

Post#176 » by NotACat » Sat Feb 2, 2019 1:17 pm

Mrrags009 wrote:
NotACat wrote:
Village Idiot wrote:CJ McCollum like Lowe suggested?

FYI Lillard took the game off yesterday vs. Atlanta so CJ got his first start at PG this season. He responded with his first career triple double. It seems he happy to facilitate for his teammates when that is his role.

Getting CJ for AG creates a different void in our roster. Plus CJ is paid much more and is significantly older which doesn't fit our timeline. Significant by NBA age
Serious question : do we believe all young players will be good at the same time . The timeline thing puzzles me because eventually you'll see some players aren't that good and by then they have no value . Who cares if a guy is a little older he can play bring him in and school these younger guys a bit .

That's not worth losing AG for, especially with McCollum's contract and how it'll impact our FA options
Black Lives Matter
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,960

Post#177 » by Xatticus » Sat Feb 2, 2019 1:51 pm

Mrrags009 wrote:
NotACat wrote:
Village Idiot wrote:CJ McCollum like Lowe suggested?

It's about expected value. EV is basically the sum of all possible outcomes multiplied by their probabilities. You don't acquire any individual talent with the expectation that they will reach a particular level of play at a particular time. The outcomes are very much unknown. By acquiring enough EV, however, you substantially increase the potential value of your roster in the long-term. This is what Boston has done.

We have consistently lost over the duration of the last seven years because our actual roster value has been low. That is to say, the quality of the players that we have been putting on the floor isn't as good as our opposition on a night to night basis.

To be clear, losing more isn't a bad thing when losing is a foregone conclusion. There are no certainties in the draft, but the team with the worst record has the highest EV in the draft lottery and the top slot in the draft has the highest potential EV. It is far from a certainty that the actual value of the lottery outcome or the draft selection will correspond to the EV, but this is all about calculating uncertainty.

There was a point in time during the rebuild where our EV was actually rather high, but we got impatient and tried to address our shortcomings by tinkering with the fit of the roster instead of exercising patience. This was to our own detriment as we shuffled off some valuable assets for little to nothing in return. Our efforts right now should be focused on acquiring young talent and picks.

Trading Gordon for McCollum doesn't address our bigger issues. It would change the flavor of the team, but the team would still lose because you are trading value for value.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
CZ Eddie
Starter
And1: 768

Post#178 » by CZ Eddie » Sun Feb 3, 2019 12:33 am

Has it been discussed/determined yet if our team has any "untouchables"?
Like, the one player nobody is expecting to see traded?
Keep your politics out of my sports
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,118

Post#179 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Sun Feb 3, 2019 1:17 am

CZ Eddie wrote:Has it been discussed/determined yet if our team has any "untouchables"?
Like, the one player nobody is expecting to see traded?

Shouldn’t be anyone untouchable on our roster. If we get a heck of a trade offer for Bamba AG Vuc or Isaac they’re gone. I don’t expect any great offers for any of those players.
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,001

Post#180 » by p0peye » Sun Feb 3, 2019 1:19 am

Only untouchable I see here is Martins.

Return to Orlando Magic