ImageImageImageImage

Woj: Bamba potentially out for the season with leg stress fracture

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,830

Re: Woj: Bamba potentially out for the season with leg stress fracture 

Post#81 » by MagicMatic » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:34 am

Between this thread and the Fultz thread, everyone on this board just became a certified medical professional.
AddiFB
Veteran
And1: 2,505

Post#82 » by AddiFB » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:35 pm

MagicMatic wrote:Between this thread and the Fultz thread, everyone on this board just became a certified medical professional.

Lots of professionals on the internet who know better than real-world professionals because they know how to google.
- Orlando Magic fan since 1991 -
NBlue
Rookie
And1: 714

Post#83 » by NBlue » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:05 am

OrlandoDream wrote:Mo Bamba has played 47 professional NBA games and we already calling bust? Did we not learn this lesson with Isaac?!

We really should have learned the lesson with Dipo. That said, some high draft picks are busts (see Mario) others just take longer to develop. Bamba is still up in the air but, as many have pointed out, what is troubling with him is his motor and lack of awareness. He certainly has some potential in several different areas but the question will be can he apply the focus needed to realize the fruition of that potential. The jury remains out on that.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#84 » by drsd » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:43 pm

MagicMatic wrote:Between this thread and the Fultz thread, everyone on this board just became a certified medical professional.

And-1

Or how about this fix:
Between this thread and the Fultz thread, everyone on this board is certified.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,116

Post#85 » by Def Swami » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:23 pm

Denton with the update on Bamba

Because Bamba alerted the team upon first feeling pain and the Magic’s medical staff caught the injury early, the 7-footer was able to avoid surgery. A week ago, in New York, he underwent a procedure where he received an injection to strengthen the weakened spot in his left leg.

In a walking boot and on crutches for at least another week, Bamba said the Magic have crafted a plan to bring him along slowly and not rush him back to the floor until he’s fully healthy. He has not given up hope just yet of getting back into action again this season – if his health allows it.

``It’s not nearly as bad as people think (upon seeing the walking boot and crutches),’’ Bamba said with a laugh. ``Right now, it’s two weeks with no weight-bearing with the boot and crutches. Then, the liberty of playing for this organization, is not being rushed back to playing. So, we’re going to go as the bone heals.

``I don’t think (playing again this season) is necessarily off the board,’’ Bamba added. ``It’s definitely something that keeps you going. Who knows, hopefully I’ll be able to finish the season off. But I’m just kind of going as it is and going with the game plan that has been put in front of me.’’

Bamba, 20, has worked throughout this season to add weight and strength that should help him better compete defensively and in the post. Now, that he is out of action for the foreseeable future, Bamba said he can turn more of his focus to bettering his body so that he is more physically ready for the rigors of the NBA.

``You’re not happy that you’re not playing, but I’m happy that I’ll get the chance to really better myself in season,’’ he said. ``Right now, we have a whole game plan in the weight room. If you look on the (grease) board in (the weight room) it says, `Swole Bamba.’

``It’s just about getting my nutrition to where it needs to be, lifting consistently and hard and heavy about four or five days a week, doing core work in between, getting treatment and studying the game,’’ he added.

Magic coach Steve Clifford dealt with a similar scenario with a young player back in the 2015-16 season when he was coaching in Charlotte. That season, forward Michael Kidd-Gilchrist missed all but seven games because of a shoulder injury. Clifford had Kidd-Gilchrist chart defensive plays during games, watch film with the team and meet regularly with coaches to discuss what he had learned while watching.

Clifford has already shared that plan with Bamba.

``It’s about staying plugged in with our coaching staff,’’ Bamba said. ``Coach Cliff, (on Wednesday), I was leaving the facility and he said, `Listen, this is the game plan now.’ We’re going to sit down after All-Star break and we’re going to learn everybody’s tendencies.’’

The analytical type who likes to ask questions and observe situations from all angles, Bamba worked with Magic High Performance Director David Tenny, Athletic Trainer/Manual Therapist Aki Tajima, Physical Therapist Sameer Mehta, Business Manager Greer Love and the Magic front office to develop a case study of players who had suffered tibial stress fractures. He liked the results that were found.

``In our case study, we found that of the 25 guys (with tibial stress fractures), 24 of those guys never saw a reoccurrence of this injury. So, I like my chances with the protection from the injection,’’ Bamba said.

https://www.nba.com/magic/news/bamba-happy-see-isaac-making-major-strides-20190214
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#86 » by drsd » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:39 am

Vučević quote today about Bamba:
It is a minor setback for a major comeback.

NBA.com video link

//.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,116

Post#87 » by Def Swami » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:51 pm

Read on Twitter
BadHombre
Senior
And1: 481

Post#88 » by BadHombre » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:38 pm

I heard Mo has been riding bikes with Fultz... You can decipher it in their Instagram comments to each other.

On a serious note: JJJr goes down. Bamba ain’t the only young big who’s body isn’t ready for the rigours of an NBA season. Let’s hope he comes back fit and strong.

Return to Orlando Magic