ImageImageImageImage

Orlando Magic road to the playoffs (updated 4/8/2019 12:00 AM EST) CLINCHED!!

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Tarheel
Sixth Man
And1: 765

Re: Orlando Magic road to the playoffs (updated 11:57 PM EST) 

Post#61 » by Tarheel » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:22 pm

Def Swami wrote:Just eye-balling Detroit's remaining schedule, it's pretty favorable. They end the season facing Memphis and New York back to back. They get Oladipo-less Pacers 3 times, the Hawks 2 times, the Cavs 2 times, the Bulls 2 times, and the Suns 1 time. We really have a slim margin for error.

Based on the strength of schedule Charlotte is more likely to drop out of the playoffs than Detroit. They've still got a western conference road trip and still have to play the Rockets, Warriors and Raptors twice each.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,499

Post#62 » by thelead » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:29 pm

Tarheel wrote:
Def Swami wrote:Just eye-balling Detroit's remaining schedule, it's pretty favorable. They end the season facing Memphis and New York back to back. They get Oladipo-less Pacers 3 times, the Hawks 2 times, the Cavs 2 times, the Bulls 2 times, and the Suns 1 time. We really have a slim margin for error.

Based on the strength of schedule Charlotte is more likely to drop out of the playoffs than Detroit. They've still got a western conference road trip and still have to play the Rockets, Warriors and Raptors twice each.

Agreed. Charlotte, due to schedule, is the one we should be watching most.

Just going to through Brooklyn into the discussion though as they also have a tough schedule and we're only 3 games behind them.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#63 » by OrlandO » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:49 pm

thelead wrote:
Tarheel wrote:

Just going to through Brooklyn into the discussion though as they also have a tough schedule and we're only 3 games behind them.

Could go down to the wire with the hornets... our final game is in charlotte.
Tarheel
Sixth Man
And1: 765

Post#64 » by Tarheel » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:04 pm

OrlandO wrote:
thelead wrote:
Tarheel wrote:

That would be a crazy scenario to end the season with, like the Minnesota Denver game last year. That game was intense.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#65 » by basketballRob » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:31 pm

Tarheel wrote:
OrlandO wrote:
thelead wrote:Agreed. Charlotte, due to schedule, is the one we should be watching most.

That would be a crazy scenario to end the season with, like the Minnesota Denver game last year. That game was intense.
To add to the intensity would be Cliff trying to knock the team that fired him out of the playoffs.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,133

Post#66 » by Optimus_Steel » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:40 pm

basketballRob wrote:
Tarheel wrote:
OrlandO wrote:Could go down to the wire with the hornets... our final game is in charlotte.

To add to the intensity would be Cliff trying to knock the team that fired him out of the playoffs.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app

Also Borrego is our former head coach (albeit interim coach). That would be a super climactic last game of the regular season.
aka: prorl
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#67 » by Skin » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:57 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:If we beat Charlotte on Thursday I might have to pinch myself to see if I’m dreaming or not because everything that has happened since we traded for Fultz has seemed to good to be true. This team has a legitimate shot to make the playoffs, the vets are all playing at a very high level, and Simmons is gone and grant is out of the rotation while Isaac, Briscoe, and Khem are playing huge roles for this team and are flourishing in them.

My head still tells me not to buy all the way in, but with how hard and well our guys are playing it’s impossible for me not to.

Simmons is a case of addition by subtraction. People don't like admitting that things like this work.

That's not to say Simmons as an individual is neccessarily a bad player. I just think the make up and structure of the team was in a bad place. In fact, if it was Fournier or Ross who left instead of Simmons, I think we would've seen similar results. There is now a little more sense of playing time, freedom and ball movement. All 3 of those guys like taking shots. With one less person involved, things are different.

That playing time and freedom has also allowed Isaac to start making his mark. We could be witnessing one of his growth phases. I really hope he bulks up this summer because he could be a huge breakout candidate next season.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,393

Post#68 » by SOUL » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:02 pm

Skin wrote:That playing time and freedom has also allowed Isaac to start making his mark. We could be witnessing one of his growth phases. I really hope he bulks up this summer because he could be a huge breakout candidate next season.

He doesn't need to bulk a lot, just needs to get stronger and make his body type work. I don't want him getting injuries because of him weighing too much, but I think he could stand to obviously get his legs stronger and bulk up the tiniest bit with his arms.
magicman112
Head Coach
And1: 1,888

Post#69 » by magicman112 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:14 pm

Skin wrote:
PrimeThyme wrote:If we beat Charlotte on Thursday I might have to pinch myself to see if I’m dreaming or not because everything that has happened since we traded for Fultz has seemed to good to be true. This team has a legitimate shot to make the playoffs, the vets are all playing at a very high level, and Simmons is gone and grant is out of the rotation while Isaac, Briscoe, and Khem are playing huge roles for this team and are flourishing in them.

My head still tells me not to buy all the way in, but with how hard and well our guys are playing it’s impossible for me not to.

Simmons is a case of addition by subtraction. People don't like admitting that things like this work.

That's not to say Simmons as an individual is neccessarily a bad player. I just think the make up and structure of the team was in a bad place. In fact, if it was Fournier or Ross who left instead of Simmons, I think we would've seen similar results. There is now a little more sense of playing time, freedom and ball movement. All 3 of those guys like taking shots. With one less person involved, things are different.

That playing time and freedom has also allowed Isaac to start making his mark. We could be witnessing one of his growth phases. I really hope he bulks up this summer because he could be a huge breakout candidate next season.

Yeah Simmons is not a bad player at all he just didn't fit here and it created a logjam.
NavalAviator94
Analyst
And1: 1,456

Post#70 » by NavalAviator94 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:31 pm

magicman112 wrote:
Skin wrote:

Yeah Simmons is not a bad player at all he just didn't fit here and it created a logjam.

It's kind of ironic for Simmons unfortunately. It was an injury to Kawhi that led to is increased playing time and showcase during the playoffs. That led to his contract with us. Unfortunately, an injury this summer kept him out of shape and clearly impacted his play making and shooting. That could ultimately cost him the remainder of his contract. Hopefully he can redeem himself during the playoffs with Philly and earn a pick up of his team option.
rusoopE
Sixth Man
And1: 678

Post#71 » by rusoopE » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:47 pm

Skin wrote:

He was out of the rotation lately just stepped in when ross was out. Cliff already knew he was getting traded or/and he knew he had negative impact on the court, btw how is he playin in phili?
"It's like 60 minutes on acid" - David Byrne

Vuc and Isaac supporter
CraZyPraiZ
Starter
And1: 700

Post#72 » by CraZyPraiZ » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:18 pm

We play the Hornets tomorrow. Somehow I get the feeling that until we beat them we are not legit. We NEED to win tomorrow. Go Magic!!!
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,393

Post#73 » by SOUL » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:46 am

Three important games tonight.
BadHombre
Senior
And1: 481

Post#74 » by BadHombre » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:58 am

Tarheel wrote:
OrlandO wrote:
thelead wrote:Agreed. Charlotte, due to schedule, is the one we should be watching most.

Reminds me of the heart and hustle season coming down to the final game vs the Bucks. That loss hurt.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,333

Post#75 » by PrimeThyme » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:35 am

This Nets game is crazy. Cleveland has a chance to pull it out. Double OT

Edit: 3rd overtime :roll: Nets hit 3 to tie it at buzzer
Popsicle1228
Junior
And1: 326

Post#76 » by Popsicle1228 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:21 am

BadHombre wrote:
Tarheel wrote:
OrlandO wrote:Could go down to the wire with the hornets... our final game is in charlotte.

Reminds me of the heart and hustle season coming down to the final game vs the Bucks. That loss hurt.

I remember that. Even though we missed the playoffs, Chuck Daly led that team to more victories than they had any business having. Team was very limited in talent, but showed up every night.
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#77 » by Nyce_1 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:36 am

PrimeThyme wrote:This Nets game is crazy. Cleveland has a chance to pull it out. Double OT

Edit: 3rd overtime :roll: Nets hit 3 to tie it at buzzer
Cavs should've fouled. Up 3, give them the 2 pts. Oh well.
BadHombre
Senior
And1: 481

Post#78 » by BadHombre » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:38 am

Popsicle1228 wrote:
BadHombre wrote:
Tarheel wrote:

I remember that. Even though we missed the playoffs, Chuck Daly led that team to more victories than they had any business having. Team was very limited in talent, but showed up every night.

I’m pretty sure Doc Rivers was coach that year. That was his first year and he won COTY because of their overachievement. But that also helped us sell the team to marquee names like Hill, Tmac and almost Duncan.
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,128

Post#79 » by rcklsscognition » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:14 am

Seems doable to get ahead of Miami and get the division title. We may have a two year window with the Wall injury. It's something, you hang a banner, but is it anything?
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,008

Post#80 » by fendilim » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:33 am

rcklsscognition wrote:Seems doable to get ahead of Miami and get the division title. We may have a two year window with the Wall injury. It's something, you hang a banner, but is it anything?

You mean this year? I think we can. Imagine, we’re battling for 8th seed, and may make top 4 instead. LOL

Return to Orlando Magic