ImageImageImageImage

Game 58: Orlando Magic (25-32) @ New Orleans Pelicans (25-32) - 8:00 PM ET

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,546

Re: Game 58: Orlando Magic (25-32) @ New Orleans Pelicans (25-32) - 8:00 PM ET 

Post#321 » by Bergmaniac » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:52 am

OrlandoNed wrote:Championships are the only thing that matter in professional sports. It takes several steps and years to get there, and it's perfectly fine to enjoy the journey, but if titles are not the end goal you are no better than the beta parents at little league games handing out participation trophies and hoping everyone just has fun. Anybody with a shred of competitiveness, doesn't give a damn how many teams they have to climb over to be the last one standing and claim the title.

In professional sports the most important thing is money and always has been. It's right there in the name. It's very clear what 95% of the players in the league will pick if they had to choose between a ring and a 200 million contract. And the owners with a few exceptions like Cuban before he got his first title are even more clearly focused on money and that's only natural given the vast sums at stake in the NBA.

OrlandoNed wrote:The fact there are 29 other teams and 1 trophy is your problem is my issue. Yeah, and? What's your point? Your happiness does hang on whether or not we win a title. Guess what? The things that your team does that make you happy ARE the things that get the team closer to the title. There is nothing to be happy about the things that don't advance that goal.

Why the hell not? I watch sports for fun. If the team I support plays entertaining basketball and wins a respectable amount of games, I am reasonably happy even if the chances for a title remain very remote. Of course, it they win a title, I'd be happier, but this "championship or bust" attitude is something absolutely foreign to me.
fateis007
Rookie
And1: 820

Post#322 » by fateis007 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:49 am

This pepe guy is such a drama queen. Seriously. You made a complete breakdown of why winning is bittersweet because we will never win a championship? You do realize there is a team with 5 allstars ( 2 former MVPs ) in the league right? Pretty much anyone can say that because 29 teams likely dont stand a chance.

But jesus man, get out the house some.
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,063

Post#323 » by The Real Dalic » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:55 pm

Wow. What happened in here? Pretty entertaining to read all the comments though.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.

Return to Orlando Magic