ImageImageImageImage

Regular Season Game 68: Orlando Magic (31-36) at Memphis Grizzlies (27-40)

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

ChosenSavior
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 12,773

Re: Regular Season Game 68: Orlando Magic (31-36) at Memphis Grizzlies (27-40) 

Post#261 » by ChosenSavior » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:30 am

Actually still have a chance to move up in the draft lottery a bit. A somewhat silver lining lol.

In any event, I'm watching this with an open mind. Would love to see this team in the postseason no doubt but if we have a chance to add talent to this roster with a lottery pick, then so be it. This roster still needs a lot of work. At least it seems we have finally found our head coach to lead us.
3ddman23
General Manager
And1: 2,615

Post#262 » by 3ddman23 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:30 am

FFBlitzace wrote:When we were up 7, no real team loses the game from that spot. They just don't. For us, it's not even a fluke. It's a matter of course. You're more surprised when we win from that spot than when we lose.

100% accurate
GO MAGIC
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#263 » by j-ragg » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:30 am

swarlesbarkley wrote:
Optimus_Steel wrote:
j-ragg wrote:Still can’t believe the wide open Conley jumper.
Why are you surprised that's our M.O.

Someone on this board pointed out that the worst shot in the NBA now is the long range 2 so Clifford tries to force guys into that shot. Still, Vooch sitting back giving no contest or close out seems ridiculously stupid - just low effort.

Not every long two is created equal. The other teams best player just hit two free throws and gets that wide open jumper. It might be on Cliff and not Vuc but we’ve seen Vuc’s defensive effort for years and it leaves something to be desired.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
Bonafide89
Junior
And1: 160

Post#264 » by Bonafide89 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:30 am

407Junkie wrote:
swarlesbarkley wrote:Now on the clock with the #14 pick in the 2019 NBA draft...
Thats where this team will be every year as soon as the center gets his extension and Ross. Can’t wait.
This one hurts. I'm glad Clifford got tossed. Enough is enough.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
FFBlitzace
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,777

Post#265 » by FFBlitzace » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:31 am

SOUL wrote:
FFBlitzace wrote:Officiating was heinous but we could have won if we were better. Don't get me wrong, I'm irate at a lot of things, officiating included, but they're lower on the list. I'm mostly angry about the fact that we're just a bunch of losers who can't win big games when they're there for the taking.

1. Vuc taking 24 shots for 26 points
2. Midget PG that did nothing resembling running an offense besides passing to Vuc
3. Balding French man with 0 points at half who decided that he didn't want to play the 2nd
4. AG's back acting up again
5. Isaac jumping up and down at the three point line to try and get his midget PG to see him
6. Ross making mental errors down the stretch
7. Refs with same weak ass calls all game

Boy, if this game isn't high blood pressure inducing, I don't know what is.

I want this season to be over. I'll be desperate for basketball again far before the offseason is over, but I'm really fed up with this. Every game is huge and these guys just don't have it. Every game is torture. They will disappoint us several more times before this season is over.
11/18/2017 - I have officially disowned Nikola Vucevic and branded him a loser.

- Skal Labissiere was my guy in 2016 pre-trade. Whoops, but I still believe.
- Malik Monk was my guy in 2017. Whoops(?)
- Mo Bamba was my guy in 2018. TBD.
ChosenSavior
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#266 » by ChosenSavior » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:33 am

The play of DJ Augustin was so bad, I actually wouldn't had mind at all if Jerian Grant finished out the game tonight. Actually thought he played better than DJ. I pray that DJ is not our starting point guard next season. Can't take much more of his inconsistent play.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,184

Post#267 » by Optimus_Steel » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:34 am

FFBlitzace wrote:When we were up 7, no real team loses the game from that spot. They just don't. For us, it's not even a fluke. It's a matter of course. You're more surprised when we win from that spot than when we lose.
You are always expecting a meltdown because most times that's what they do.
aka: prorl
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#268 » by j-ragg » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:34 am

If we somehow make the playoffs it won’t be because we deserve it. Other teams schedules just were way tougher.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
FFBlitzace
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#269 » by FFBlitzace » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:35 am

FFBlitzace wrote:With the Grizzlies 8-9 at the line, it's worth noting that teams have been red hot from the free throw line against us this year. Before tonight, teams were 78.1% against us, which is the 4th highest number in the league. Never lucky.

In the "salt, lemon juice, and alcohol cocktail in the gaping wound" category, the Grizz made 28-31(90.3%) free throws tonight. So that already-high number is going up. Why can't we defend the free throw line? We're not making the loud fart noises at the right time.

MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,978

Post#270 » by MagicMatic » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:37 am

SOUL wrote:
FFBlitzace wrote:Officiating was heinous but we could have won if we were better. Don't get me wrong, I'm irate at a lot of things, officiating included, but they're lower on the list. I'm mostly angry about the fact that we're just a bunch of losers who can't win big games when they're there for the taking.

1. Vuc taking 24 shots for 26 points
2. Midget PG that did nothing resembling running an offense besides passing to Vuc
3. Balding French man with 0 points at half who decided that he didn't want to play the 2nd
4. AG's back acting up again
5. Isaac jumping up and down at the three point line to try and get his midget PG to see him
6. Ross making mental errors down the stretch
7. Refs with same weak ass calls all game

Boy, if this game isn't high blood pressure inducing, I don't know what is.

Team was 16-50 outside of the “offense” (Ross and Vuc).
Vuc was 10-24 and 1-6 from 3(!?). Isaac obviously not being involved much in the offense. Weird game, but this highlights the need for playmakers.
NotACat
Veteran
And1: 1,301

Post#271 » by NotACat » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:38 am

We didn't execute down the stretch, but man, the refs KILLED us. Fournier didn't deserve to get tossed out and the officiating in the 4th was some of the worst I've ever seen.
Black Lives Matter
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#272 » by OrlandO » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:38 am

:lol:

Read on Twitter
OrlandoNed
Head Coach
And1: 4,776

Post#273 » by OrlandoNed » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:38 am

This is what happens when you commit to a mediocre coach, a mediocre front office and a mediocre roster. Mediocre results. The only thing that wins in this league is overwhelming talent, anything less is a waste of time.
Bonafide89
Junior

Post#274 » by Bonafide89 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:38 am

ChosenSavior wrote:The play of DJ Augustin was so bad, I actually wouldn't had mind at all if Jerian Grant finished out the game tonight. Actually thought he played better than DJ. I pray that DJ is not our starting point guard next season. Can't take much more of his inconsistent play.
He has been solid all season. He's not a starting PG but he's been our starting PG all season. He has overachieved and so has this team. He's not the long term answer so he will be gone soon.

But I'm not gonna knock him too hard because him and TRoss are the two guys on this team, who whenever the ball releases their hands, it always looks like it's going in.

swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,153

Post#275 » by swarlesbarkley » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:41 am

j-ragg wrote:
swarlesbarkley wrote:
Optimus_Steel wrote:Why are you surprised that's our M.O.

Someone on this board pointed out that the worst shot in the NBA now is the long range 2 so Clifford tries to force guys into that shot. Still, Vooch sitting back giving no contest or close out seems ridiculously stupid - just low effort.

Not every long two is created equal. The other teams best player just hit two free throws and gets that wide open jumper. It might be on Cliff and not Vuc but we’ve seen Vuc’s defensive effort for years and it leaves something to be desired.

Oh, I agree. Vooch needs to close out on that shot specifically. Now if it's Delon Wright coming off a screen, maybe hang back.
zuppafly
Assistant Coach
And1: 990

Post#276 » by zuppafly » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:42 am

OrlandO wrote:

Read on Twitter
Has more balls than 90% of the roster.
Bonafide89
Junior

Post#277 » by Bonafide89 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:46 am

OrlandoNed wrote:This is what happens when you commit to a mediocre coach, a mediocre front office and a mediocre roster. Mediocre results. The only thing that wins in this league is overwhelming talent, anything less is a waste of time.
Clifford is the best coach we've had since Stan. Weltham have done a fine job so far. Yes, the roster is mediocre, but a lot of decisions will be made this offseason. Did anyone really think this team would be in the playoff hunt with Augustin as our starting PG?

Nearly everyone on this board was clamoring for IT to be signed, but you can see that he's nowhere near his peak self. Right now, DJ is the better player.

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,360

Post#278 » by Knightro » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:48 am

I mean when you're leading by 7 with 3 minutes left, you really should win, but things happen sometimes.

There's a reason why this is going to end up being like a 37 win team. That's better than they were, but they're still not all that talented of a group.
ChosenSavior
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#279 » by ChosenSavior » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:48 am

Bonafide89 wrote:
ChosenSavior wrote:The play of DJ Augustin was so bad, I actually wouldn't had mind at all if Jerian Grant finished out the game tonight. Actually thought he played better than DJ. I pray that DJ is not our starting point guard next season. Can't take much more of his inconsistent play.
He has been solid all season. He's not a starting PG but he's been our starting PG all season. He has overachieved and so has this team. He's not the long term answer so he will be gone soon.

But I'm not gonna knock him too hard because him and TRoss are the two guys on this team, who whenever the ball releases their hands, it always looks like it's going in.

Has definitely been a solid shooter and scorer this season which has always been his forte since entering the league. I just don't want him as our starting PG anymore due to his disadvantages on defense and inconsistent play overall which he has always had a problem with. Definitely fine with him as a backup PG though. This was just a frustrating game to watch him play where he had a hard time finding open teammates all game except for Vuc.
FFBlitzace
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#280 » by FFBlitzace » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:49 am

DJ is what he is. He's basically been at his maximum possible effectiveness this season and he's still not good enough. So that tells you the obvious, which is that he isn't a starting player on a good team. But we knew that. Because of the fact that he's been at or near maximum possible effectiveness this year, it's hard to really hate on him, but it's still rage inducing when he doesn't make basic point guard plays.

For many years now I thought, I thought, that I had really mellowed out. But behind the scenes, in the darkest recesses of my white cis male heart (so you know those recesses are pretty deep and dark), anger had been quietly festering. And now that we could actually make the playoffs if we weren't soft pieces of ass, these past few weeks of terrible losses after the ASG have had me so irate. Maybe moreso than I've ever been. I don't know that for a fact, since there's been a lot of red hot moments throughout the years. But the frustration and anger with this lunacy is really boiling over for me. Huge games we have to win and we've got Vucevic 10-24 and Fournier with the 0-fer ejection.

Return to Orlando Magic