ImageImageImageImage

Official Speculation Thread ‘19-'20 I: Big decisions on the horizon

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Should we resign Vuc/Ross

Yes
34%
Yes, but just Vuc
7%
Yes, but just Ross
40%
No
18%

Total votes: 126

J the Drafter
Starter
And1: 298

Re: Official Speculation Thread ‘19-'20 I: Big decisions on the horizon 

Post#401 » by J the Drafter » Mon May 6, 2019 6:44 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
zaymon wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
It's cherrypicking something to make a point.

Joel Embiid shoots 35% in this series. That's 35% overall. Had one good game, looked unplayable in two others.
They are winning because Raptors can't get anything from bench and because Jimmy Butler, in his own words is now "James Butler" .
But mostly because VanVleet and Powell have been disaster.

Raptors in this series are outscored by 35 points when Vleet and Powell are playing. It's almost impressive that Powell has net rating of -40,6. It's even more impressive that his offensive rating is 60. That's some next level of sucking.

When you look at Embiid highlights from his best game its obvious he didnt get half of the attention Vucevic was getting. On his buckets he was not once double, they dared him to shoot threes and he got lucky with 3/4 abnormal result, on pick and roll they all looked at Butler not Joel. Its so different from what Vucevic got its not even a disscusion. What we can take from this game though is centers are much easier to contain than guards and wings and you need to have very balanced team to leverage them, but the payoffs are great.
what it tells me is that you can’t win in this league without elite wing talent. Imagine if we had that WITH Vuc/Ag/Fournier/ji

Another point is Toronto’s cerebral approach to defending Embiid which plays into what I’ve read on the Sixers forum and watching him play, if you let Embiid hit a couple of shots, especially 3’s, he tends to become a bit of a black hole which disrupts phillys offense.

Howard in the pick and roll got Jameer plenty of open midrange jumpers back in the day. The defense would focus on Howard and leave Meer open. I would assume the same applied to whoever ran the pnr with Dwight. So it’s not just an elite wing thing.
Remember when Kobe elbowed Jameer in the chin so hard Jameer was knocked down and sent skidding across the floor?
Pepperidge Farm remembers.*

*Futurama
ezzzp
Head Coach
And1: 3,462

Post#402 » by ezzzp » Mon May 6, 2019 7:00 pm

MagicStarwipe wrote:
OrlandO wrote:
MagicStarwipe wrote:Not going to point out how Embiid wasn't even sure if he was going to play or not because of illness? Seeing as you are not biased.

Yeah, yeah, every game they act like he's not going to play and then he does. It's crying wolf at this point. I'm sure he'll also have another excuse ready if he has another bad game.

Well this happened before the game, coming off of his dominant game 3. I know we'd give Vuc the benefit of the doubt, so let's give it to him too.

The spirit of the discussion is to establish how Embiid compares to Vucevic against Marc Gasol. While injury is a legitimate reason for decline in production, staying healthy is a part of establishing value.

I seriously doubt Vucevic would get benefit of doubt from his detractors. It hasn't in the past. I saw a lot of Magic fans call him soft when he was injured in 17-18 and making comments like he's faking it so he doesn't get traded.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,828

Post#403 » by RookieStar » Mon May 6, 2019 9:31 pm

Soooo.. to those saying TOR was a bad match-up for us and it would have been better if it was against PHI or even MIL... are you still saying that after you seen them flip to the PO switch?
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,597

Post#404 » by SOUL » Tue May 7, 2019 1:02 am

Read on Twitter
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#405 » by OrlandO » Tue May 7, 2019 1:03 am

Read on Twitter
nymets1
Head Coach
And1: 1,353

Post#406 » by nymets1 » Tue May 7, 2019 1:26 am

There's issue with Ben Simmons and Joel Embiid, Could 76ERS lose either player or possibly both and could the Magic have a shot at either player?
"Bodysurfing and always drive with the windows down"

"UCF 2017 only undefeated national champions"
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#407 » by Blue_and_Whte » Tue May 7, 2019 1:45 am

J the Drafter wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:
zaymon wrote:
When you look at Embiid highlights from his best game its obvious he didnt get half of the attention Vucevic was getting. On his buckets he was not once double, they dared him to shoot threes and he got lucky with 3/4 abnormal result, on pick and roll they all looked at Butler not Joel. Its so different from what Vucevic got its not even a disscusion. What we can take from this game though is centers are much easier to contain than guards and wings and you need to have very balanced team to leverage them, but the payoffs are great.
what it tells me is that you can’t win in this league without elite wing talent. Imagine if we had that WITH Vuc/Ag/Fournier/ji

Another point is Toronto’s cerebral approach to defending Embiid which plays into what I’ve read on the Sixers forum and watching him play, if you let Embiid hit a couple of shots, especially 3’s, he tends to become a bit of a black hole which disrupts phillys offense.

Howard in the pick and roll got Jameer plenty of open midrange jumpers back in the day. The defense would focus on Howard and leave Meer open. I would assume the same applied to whoever ran the pnr with Dwight. So it’s not just an elite wing thing.
Back in the day being the key term here. Not to mention Dwight was considered an anomaly because bigs had started drifting to a more perimeter oriented game which is why his career didn’t last that long. I agree with you I just feel as though now, you need elite wing talent. Not that it’s bad to have an all star level center because it’s not.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#408 » by Blue_and_Whte » Tue May 7, 2019 1:48 am

RookieStar wrote:Soooo.. to those saying TOR was a bad match-up for us and it would have been better if it was against PHI or even MIL... are you still saying that after you seen them flip to the PO switch?

Yes. I still think philly was a better matchup for us.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
bargnanimvp
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,362

Post#409 » by bargnanimvp » Tue May 7, 2019 2:38 am

RookieStar wrote:Soooo.. to those saying TOR was a bad match-up for us and it would have been better if it was against PHI or even MIL... are you still saying that after you seen them flip to the PO switch?

Still think Philly is a much better match up for us, don't want bucks but never did
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,292

Post#410 » by pepe1991 » Tue May 7, 2019 3:53 pm

If Lue gets Lakers job, Vogel will be his lead assistent

Clown team adding more clowns, love it.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
NavalAviator94
Analyst
And1: 1,456

Post#411 » by NavalAviator94 » Tue May 7, 2019 3:55 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:

Yes. I still think philly was a better matchup for us.

The reality is that if you substituted Embiid for Vuc the outcome would be the same. Can we finally let this argument die now and move on?
nymets1
Head Coach
And1: 1,353

Post#412 » by nymets1 » Tue May 7, 2019 6:07 pm

Do we have a player on our current roster that could emerge as a Tier 2 player? Our only chances are Gordon, Isaac and Bamba or what player could we eventually get through free agency/ trade/ draft that could be a Tier 2 player. I have 5 guys as Tier 1 players

Tier 1(in no particular order)

Kawhi
Durant
Lebron
Giannis
Jokic

Ben Simmons and Joel Embiid have an issue in Philly, is it possible we could get one of the 2 dudes? Those are Tier 2 guys. Or what about Kemba Walker who I have as Tier 3 player but could move up to Tier 2 guy. Or what if the Nets renounced De'angelo Russell? Who I have as a Tier 3 player with potential to reach Tier 2 status. None of those 4 guys can touch Tier 1 status but Tier 2 status are still really great players as #1 option/ franchise player.
"Bodysurfing and always drive with the windows down"

"UCF 2017 only undefeated national champions"
NotACat
Veteran
And1: 1,300

Post#413 » by NotACat » Tue May 7, 2019 8:28 pm

nymets1 wrote:Do we have a player on our current roster that could emerge as a Tier 2 player? Our only chances are Gordon, Isaac and Bamba or what player could we eventually get through free agency/ trade/ draft that could be a Tier 2 player. I have 5 guys as Tier 1 players

Tier 1(in no particular order)

Kawhi
Durant
Lebron
Giannis
Jokic

Ben Simmons and Joel Embiid have an issue in Philly, is it possible we could get one of the 2 dudes? Those are Tier 2 guys. Or what about Kemba Walker who I have as Tier 3 player but could move up to Tier 2 guy. Or what if the Nets renounced De'angelo Russell? Who I have as a Tier 3 player with potential to reach Tier 2 status. None of those 4 guys can touch Tier 1 status but Tier 2 status are still really great players as #1 option/ franchise player.

Don't forget Fultz
Black Lives Matter
NotACat
Veteran
And1: 1,300

Post#414 » by NotACat » Wed May 8, 2019 11:54 am

Was looking at some Bamba plays over the past week and I know his strength and conditioning is going to improve as well as other parts of his game, but I really hope his screens get more effective. He didn't really stop anyone when setting a screen this past season.

Also, there's at least 2 times per game that he's readily available for an alley-oop but just doesn't get the pass. Really hope that changes this year.
Black Lives Matter
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,960

Post#415 » by Xatticus » Wed May 8, 2019 4:35 pm

NotACat wrote:Was looking at some Bamba plays over the past week and I know his strength and conditioning is going to improve as well as other parts of his game, but I really hope his screens get more effective. He didn't really stop anyone when setting a screen this past season.

Also, there's at least 2 times per game that he's readily available for an alley-oop but just doesn't get the pass. Really hope that changes this year.

Our screening has sucked for a while, but it definitely showed some improvement this past season. Birch is a really good screen setter. We are pretty dreadful otherwise. Vucevic improved a lot this past season. Isaac and Bamba have a long way to go.

It's more about timing than technique though, and I believe we will improve in this area as long as we have Clifford around.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,149

Post#416 » by Def Swami » Thu May 9, 2019 1:02 am

SOUL wrote:
Read on Twitter

Vogel actually in conversations to be the head coach of the Lakers now. :o Lakers are turning into Knicks West.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,501

Post#417 » by MagicFan101 » Thu May 9, 2019 1:08 am

SOUL wrote:
Read on Twitter

Cute how, like us here, they just forget that Orlando stint ever happened.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,158

Post#418 » by zaymon » Thu May 9, 2019 11:04 am

Vogel as a players coach did well enough in Indiana. If he has Lebron not Gordon replacing PG i can see it working. He is nowhere near Clifford coaching wise, but there is not a lot of good options for them and they are a bigger mess than we were when we hired Vogel (debatable)
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,602

Post#419 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri May 10, 2019 12:26 am

Everyone knows that Lebron is the coach. That other guy is the puppet Coach.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
T-Cat
Sixth Man
And1: 428

Post#420 » by T-Cat » Fri May 10, 2019 11:38 am

Listen to this very inspiring interview with Jonathan Isaac:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/4-szns-nba-podcast/id1320998990?i=1000437593794

It's so refreshing to have a player like this in Orlando! :D

Return to Orlando Magic