ImageImageImageImage

Official Speculation Thread ‘19-'20 I: Big decisions on the horizon

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Should we resign Vuc/Ross

Yes
34%
Yes, but just Vuc
7%
Yes, but just Ross
40%
No
18%

Total votes: 126

SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,395

Re: Official Speculation Thread ‘19-'20 I: Big decisions on the horizon 

Post#81 » by SOUL » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:37 pm

MoMM wrote:
MaxFischer wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:This playoffs exposed complete lack of small,ballhanlding wing on this team.
Isaac had 1 assist in 5 games and he never put ball on the floor.
Gordon tried to play with a ball but Raptors didn't give a flying F about him doing it, so they were putting even Vleet to guard him.

There are things to complain about JI's offensive game (or lack there of), but assists is not one of them IMO. His only role in the offense is to camp out at the three point line and wait for a pass.

So, can't he pass to anyone else when he gets the ball at the corner? Oops, he did it one time in 5 games...

I think we need a real PF too, one that gets rebounds, we can't have our PF averaging 7 RPG and playing like a SF.

Your issue with the team is Gordon and Isaac, not Fournier and DJ?

Interesting..
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,224

Post#82 » by pepe1991 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:03 pm

SOUL wrote:
MoMM wrote:
MaxFischer wrote:
There are things to complain about JI's offensive game (or lack there of), but assists is not one of them IMO. His only role in the offense is to camp out at the three point line and wait for a pass.

So, can't he pass to anyone else when he gets the ball at the corner? Oops, he did it one time in 5 games...

I think we need a real PF too, one that gets rebounds, we can't have our PF averaging 7 RPG and playing like a SF.

Interesting..

They are 4 separated individuals. There is zero reason why you should box them into two groups.
As individuals we know:
Dj is career backup
Evan normally isn't this bad
Gordon is solid ( but that's about it).
isaac ,based on basketball he has shown past two years really doesn't look like anything more than just another role player - if he develops to be that, overhyped and overdrafted like most players are in lottery. Right now he should not be your starter. Period.

Can he develop ? Sure. Does being overhyped means he can't develop one day into solid player? No.
Did 6th overall pick sounded way more sexy than 23% FG ,6,5 ppg player in playoffs that can't hit open jumper despite allegedly being wing ? Hell yea . Just like former 2# pick sounds more sexy than Michael Kid Gilchrist.

Magic have guard problems , but they also have wing problems and talent problems in general. Just like people like to make " put Beal instad of Evan and this team is 50 wins team" anbody else can simply say " put Leonard insatd of Isaac and this is 50 wins team" or "put Harden instad of DJ and this team is contender" It's just playing dumb to feed agend and control narrative. Serves nothing but more endless debates.

Only thing that matters is fact that team could use upgrade on almost every single position, bench included.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,501

Post#83 » by thelead » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:07 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
SOUL wrote:
MoMM wrote:So, can't he pass to anyone else when he gets the ball at the corner? Oops, he did it one time in 5 games...

Interesting..

They are 4 separated individuals. There is zero reason why you should box them into two groups.
As individuals we know:
Dj is career backup
isaac ,based on basketball he has shown past two years really doesn't look like anything more than just another role player , overhyped and overdrafted like most players are in lottery.

Can he develop ? Sure. Does being overhyped means he can't be good? No.
Did 6th overall pick sounded way more sexy than 23% FG ,6,5 ppg player in playoffs that can't hit open jumper despite allegedly being wing ? Hell yea . Just like former 2# pick sounds more sexy than Michael Kid Gilchrist

If you’re going to cherry pick playoff numbers to discredit JI let’s be equal and use them against Vuc too. Stop being so damn biased.
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#84 » by pepe1991 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:11 pm

thelead wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
SOUL wrote:

Interesting..

As individuals we know:
Dj is career backup
isaac ,based on basketball he has shown past two years really doesn't look like anything more than just another role player , overhyped and overdrafted like most players are in lottery.

Did 6th overall pick sounded way more sexy than 23% FG ,6,5 ppg player in playoffs that can't hit open jumper despite allegedly being wing ? Hell yea . Just like former 2# pick sounds more sexy than Michael Kid Gilchrist

If you’re going to cherry pick playoff numbers to discredit JI let’s be equal and use them against Vuc too. Stop being so damn biased.

Let's not cherry pick and take 82 games or career numbers to compare them?

Stop famming over player that can easly have career projection of Tony Snell.
Long wing that has no ballhandling skills to do anything but stand in corner .

i swear, every few years this forum has awkward bonner for some mid lottery Magic prospect that by all accounts doesn't have skills to jusfty his draft stock.
First it was Payton, than Hezonja and now Isaac.
Just because somebody is young and palys for your favorite team, that doesn't make him new Shaq or Penny. Especially if that player after two years still looks like as limited as it gets.
Why is so damn hard for you to judge player based on what he is instad of what you want him to be ?

I mean , you got upset when i said that 37foot stepback 3 is bad shot ,why do i expect anything logical at this point from you?!
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,395

Post#85 » by SOUL » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:16 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
SOUL wrote:
MoMM wrote:So, can't he pass to anyone else when he gets the ball at the corner? Oops, he did it one time in 5 games...

Interesting..

As individuals we know:
Dj is career backup

Isaac clearly affects the game and isn't called upon for his offense though. He steadily improved throughout the season. It's like being mad at a quarterback for not being able to be a wide receiver. He's 21 and his offense will come, at least should come. It's not like he's Ben Simmons not attempting three point shots, he had 3 months where he shot 35% or better from three on decent amount of attempts.

Same with comparing him to MGK. His career 3pt attempt averages are 0.2 attempts... it shows that he is not comfortable stretching the floor whatsoever. Isaac may not hit open shots all the time right now, but first of all he's 21 and already does a lot defensively, and if he did that, we'd have something close to a star.. but obviously he's just an uber role player right now.

****. People thought Dedmon who had the worst hands after Biyombo would not ever become a shooter and suddenly becomes 35-38% shooter the last 2 years.

Isaac just finished what was basically his rookie year in terms of games played and finished 32% from three and 81% from the line.. that is something to be hopeful about. What he needs to work on besides his shot is now being comfortable with dribbling enough to drive and pick his spots on the floor rather than waiting for the ball or passes that don't come from PGs that can't see him.

It's too early to box him into some "can he improve" mantra that you always try to lay on these young guys as if there is no such offensive improvements these guys can make. He's never going like a naturally clean offensive player, but I don't see a reason why he can't be a very useful two way player which is super important to a team.

Feel like you would've railed on Siakam if we had him too.. 14% from three and 68 ft% his first year and then 22%/62% his next year.. he just played inside more which made his regular FG% near 50.
Audi
Analyst
And1: 2,768

Post#86 » by Audi » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:29 pm

A 21yo who has performed beyond defensive expectation and who was universally accepted as an offensive project at the draft still hasn’t put it together offensively after 102 career nba games and a playoff series against probably the best defensive team in the league?

I’m shocked, bruh.
Abra Cadabra, Razzmatazz, Slam-Dunk Sesame, Hocus Pocus, Alacazam, Gonna set the spirit free
Keeping The Original Orlando Magic Theme Song Alive
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#87 » by pepe1991 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:38 pm

SOUL wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
SOUL wrote:

Interesting..

As individuals we know:
Dj is career backup

Isaac clearly affects the game and isn't called upon for his offense though. He steadily improved throughout the season. It's like being mad at a quarterback for not being able to be a wide receiver. He's 21 and his offense will come, at least should come. It's not like he's Ben Simmons not attempting three point shots, he had 3 months where he shot 35% or better from three on decent amount of attempts.

Same with comparing him to MGK. His career 3pt attempt averages are 0.2 attempts... it shows that he is not comfortable stretching the floor whatsoever. Isaac may not hit open shots all the time right now, but first of all he's 21 and already does a lot defensively, and if he did that, we'd have something close to a star.. but obviously he's just an uber role player right now.

****. People thought Dedmon who had the worst hands after Biyombo would not ever become a shooter and suddenly becomes 35-38% shooter the last 2 years.

Isaac just finished what was basically his rookie year in terms of games played and finished 32% from three and 81% from the line.. that is something to be hopeful about. What he needs to work on besides his shot is now being comfortable with dribbling enough to drive and pick his spots on the floor rather than waiting for the ball or passes that don't come from PGs that can't see him.

It's too early to box him into some "can he improve" mantra that you always try to lay on these young guys as if there is no such offensive improvements these guys can make. He's never going like a naturally clean offensive player, but I don't see a reason why he can't be a very useful two way player which is super important to a team.

Feel like you would've railed on Siakam if we had him too.. 14% from three and 68 ft% his first year and then 22%/62% his next year.. he just played inside more which made his regular FG% near 50.

I didn't compare him with MKG, just draft stock of players drafted with xy lottery pick. It doesn't matter where you were drafted once drafting is over . What matters is what you can or can't do. Does anybody care about former 2013 or 2015 first round picks ? :dontknow:

I'll never get that " rookie" argument . Guy had from March of 2017 until today , April 2019 nothing selse to do but his job- witch is now basketball. That's why i hate when injuried player gets ROY next year despite spending whole year with nba coaches, experts for food, mobility ,strenght.. It's such a unafir adventage over kid who just stepped on big stage. But that's personal opinion.

Most of time i don't talk about his defense but offense, as clear problem. His defense is fine. His offense does not exist.
As for shooting 35% for 3 on some nights, 75% of all 3s he took were open or wide open. Vast majority of them were wide open AND from corner, where you have guys shooting 45% for 3 for career , regardless open or not. Matter of fact league's average in corner 3s is 39%.

As for Siakam, i think i actually compared Isaac to Siakam last year ( and repeated it this year ) . Imo Siakam is less stiff with ball ( always has been) and is probably bit better athlete ( also shorter ).
I don't think Siakam is really THIS good , like how he looked vs Magic, but he isn't that far off.
Without Leonard he is averaging 19 ppg (however Ibaka is averaging 17 and Lowry 18 , so they share spotlight ).

it's kind a shame that with Magic Isaac will never be tried as small ball C because of Vuc and Bamba.
I'm still doubt Bamba and Isaac (especially with Gordon ) will be able to share floor in effective way.

When i think about, Magic frontcourt situation is almost identical as Jazz had when they had Favors, Millsap, Okur ( later Kanter) and Jefferson, Lot of "potential" and lot of "proven" players, in reality lot of ok players that really don't move needle.
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#88 » by pepe1991 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:53 pm

Audi wrote:A 21yo who has performed beyond defensive expectation and who was universally accepted as an offensive project at the draft still hasn’t put it together offensively after 102 career nba games and a playoff series against probably the best defensive team in the league?

I’m shocked, bruh.

Eeeh. Let's see what experts said around draft
Quote from draftexpress

His ability to pull up off the dribble is extremely intiguing ... He utilizes hesitations, crossovers and step backs with crisp footwork to blow by or separate into a jump shot ... These flashes of shot creation at his size fuel his scoring potential and drive his potential through the roof ... He does not have the most advanced feel for the game yet, but he also shows flashes as a facilitator ... As a shooter he is a bit streaky but shows good shot preparation and balance with a high release ... He has excellent slashing ability as well and does a great job attacking closeouts with long strides ... Isaac also has a quick first step and a strong rip through move that gives him good momentum when driving to the basket ... However, he is more than just a straight-line driver; he does a great job of changing speeds and directions with a variety of dribble moves, and he has excellent hip mobility

Another

. Good ball handling ability, can create off the dribble ... Smooth shooting stroke with proper shot rotation, good from midrange and can extend to the three point line ... Shoots well off the catch as well as off the dribble. Can score off of step backs and fade aways ... Can put the ball on the floor and get to the rim ... Can score inside and out

He can grab and go, handle it well for his size, make a spot three, get to a mid-range pull up off the bounce, attack a closeout, and make a mid-post turnaround. He showed that in a vacuum, he's physically capable of doing each of these things, which gives you hope that with a bigger role, you'll be able to rely more on each area with consistency. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jonathan-Isaac-90052/ ©DraftExpress
- Mike Schmitz

To be fair, Schmitz also said that his offense feels like fool's gold as he fades through games and can be passive
, but Isaac has often lacked a degree of confidence you'd like to see from a potential top-five pick. He's a worker who will undoubtedly compete, but his sometimes-passive nature on the offensive end makes it hard to project him as more than a third or fourth option on a winning team. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jonathan-Isaac-90052/ ©DraftExpress

He wasn't projected to be a project on offense. He just turned out to be one.
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,128

Post#89 » by rcklsscognition » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:20 pm

I don't care how it happens, I want a legit triple threat guard or SF on the roster at the expense of anyone or anything. You bring back everyone and draft a stud at 16 who can do it? Fine. Gotta sign and trade Vuc in December? Let them all walk, fine by me. Fultz, Isaac, AG, Bamba, Fournier, don't care. Do whatever it takes to acquire a legit scorer.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#90 » by OrlandO » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:36 pm

rcklsscognition wrote:I don't care how it happens, I want a legit triple threat guard or SF on the roster at the expense of anyone or anything. You bring back everyone and draft a stud at 16 who can do it? Fine. Gotta sign and trade Vuc in December? Let them all walk, fine by me. Fultz, Isaac, AG, Bamba, Fournier, don't care. Do whatever it takes to acquire a legit scorer.

We'll end up signing Stanley Johnson :lol:
thelead
RealGM

Post#91 » by thelead » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:52 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
thelead wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
As individuals we know:
Dj is career backup

Let's not cherry pick and take 82 games or career numbers to compare them?

Stop famming over player that can easly have career projection of Tony Snell.
Long wing that has no ballhandling skills to do anything but stand in corner .

i swear, every few years this forum has awkward bonner for some mid lottery Magic prospect that by all accounts doesn't have skills to jusfty his draft stock.
First it was Payton, than Hezonja and now Isaac.
Just because somebody is young and palys for your favorite team, that doesn't make him new Shaq or Penny. Especially if that player after two years still looks like as limited as it gets.
Why is so damn hard for you to judge player based on what he is instad of what you want him to be ?

I mean , you got upset when i said that 37foot stepback 3 is bad shot ,why do i expect anything logical at this point from you?!

You get very agitated and personal... I was lobbying to trade Isaac for a PG just 2 months ago... I don’t have biases for anyone on this team currently. You used playoff data to pick on JI. I’m just saying don’t use one set of data if you’re not willing to use the same set of data for a player you love defending.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,366

Post#92 » by Bensational » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:57 pm

All this talk about Isaac or Gordon is just deflecting attention from the major weaknesses of the roster and that's Fournier and DJ. Our backcourt, who are supposed the be the strongest on ball players, struggle to get to the rim at will, and now in the playoffs Fournier forgot how to shoot.

There's no point criticising Gordon or Isaac for not being a strong enough ballhandler or playmaker when the two guys who SHOULD be doing it aren't.

Also, are we going to have to have another debate about whether or not a young Magic player has finished developing? Have we not already established that Pepe doesn't understand development. He lacks the ability to project and envision a future with improvement. All he knows is what has transpired already. And from that, he just cherry picks stats that fit his agenda. Don't bother taking up the discussion with him.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,830

Post#93 » by MagicMatic » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:43 am

Bensational wrote:All this talk about Isaac or Gordon is just deflecting attention from the major weaknesses of the roster and that's Fournier and DJ. Our backcourt, who are supposed the be the strongest on ball players, struggle to get to the rim at will, and now in the playoffs Fournier forgot how to shoot.

There's no point criticising Gordon or Isaac for not being a strong enough ballhandler or playmaker when the two guys who SHOULD be doing it aren't.

Also, are we going to have to have another debate about whether or not a young Magic player has finished developing? Have we not already established that Pepe doesn't understand development. He lacks the ability to project and envision a future with improvement. All he knows is what has transpired already. And from that, he just cherry picks stats that fit his agenda. Don't bother taking up the discussion with him.

The biggest takeaway from this season, and the playoffs, is that we must acquire guards or wings that can create offense either individually or systematically. The only reason at all that Isaac or AG should come into question as a pairing is if we cannot acquire that kind of player between either guard position. I’ve said it before, you can’t have 3 positions on the floor incapable of reliable perimeter shooting. Isaac can become that player, but it’s almost a necessity if we aren’t relying heavily on AG and Vuc is on the roster.

IF we resign Vuc, which I don’t think we should, this becomes a more heightened issue. Why? Because it takes Orlando out of draft position and limits the offense to a half court system that would require a more reliable perimeter offense. An offense predicated on the lesser ideal inside out style. That doesn’t even take into account the contract or cap space issues.

Isaac isn’t done developing, but there are a few huge questions that will be answered this offseason relating to his and AG’s roles moving forward.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,098

Post#94 » by tiderulz » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:50 am

Bensational wrote:All this talk about Isaac or Gordon is just deflecting attention from the major weaknesses of the roster and that's Fournier and DJ. Our backcourt, who are supposed the be the strongest on ball players, struggle to get to the rim at will, and now in the playoffs Fournier forgot how to shoot.

its not deflecting, we have problems all over the team.
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,864

Post#95 » by JF5 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:51 am

Two ways this off season goes... Vuc walks and this team essentially starts the rebuilding phase (which I wouldn't mind) or they resign Vuc and make multiple moves to get a star player and try to build a contender through good trades/good drafting.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,366

Post#96 » by Bensational » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:50 am

tiderulz wrote:

its not deflecting, we have problems all over the team.

It's deflecting the focus of the problem from the two weakest positions we have. We need to address those first, and give Isaac time to continue his development before we write them off. Successful teams are always built on great playmakers. Ideally it comes at the 2 or 3, where a player has the size to score inside and out over taller defenders. If Isaac can tighten his handles and continue improving his shot he will suffice as a positive on offense whilst being a major impact player on defense. Gordon already does both.

DJ and Fournier aren't making enough impact on either end to warrant pushing forwards with them. Vuc can't create, but he does everything else really well so he's a big plus. We've got 2 and a half solid positions, so we should add to that.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,235

Post#97 » by Blue_and_Whte » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:50 am

JF5 wrote:Two ways this off season goes... Vuc walks and this team essentially starts the rebuilding phase (which I wouldn't mind) or they resign Vuc and make multiple moves to get a star player and try to build a contender through good trades/good drafting.
I wouldn't mind either scenerio actually

Sent from my VS501 using RealGM mobile app
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
Whosurgaddy
Freshman
And1: 32

Post#98 » by Whosurgaddy » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:00 am

Goodbye Ross.... he unfollowed the magic :(
thelead
RealGM

Post#99 » by thelead » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:41 am

Whosurgaddy wrote:Goodbye Ross.... he unfollowed the magic :(

Really? Already?
FFBlitzace
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,777

Post#100 » by FFBlitzace » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:46 am

Have they even done exit interviews yet? I don't think so. Strange.
11/18/2017 - I have officially disowned Nikola Vucevic and branded him a loser.

- Skal Labissiere was my guy in 2016 pre-trade. Whoops, but I still believe.
- Malik Monk was my guy in 2017. Whoops(?)
- Mo Bamba was my guy in 2018. TBD.

Return to Orlando Magic