ImageImageImageImage

What's your breaking point (in $) for resigning Vucevic?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, SOUL, Def Swami, UCF, UCFJayBird, ChosenSavior

I wouldn't pay Vuc anything more than $ ___ Million per year on his next 4 year contract.

$30M
3
4%
$29M
0
No votes
$28M
1
1%
$27M
4
6%
$26M
1
1%
$25M
18
25%
$24M
10
14%
$23M
5
7%
$22M
11
15%
$21M
19
26%
 
Total votes: 72

User avatar
Skin
RealGM
Posts: 14,862
And1: 6,822
Joined: Jul 03, 2009
   

What's your breaking point (in $) for resigning Vucevic? 

Post#1 » by Skin » Tue May 7, 2019 7:04 pm

I wouldn't pay Vuc anything more than $ ___ Million per year on his next contract. Time to get exact on where your feelings lie. I don't think at his age and position of leverage that he would ever sign a contract shorter than 4 years. So let's go with that.
OrlandoNed
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,564
And1: 4,015
Joined: Jul 31, 2013
 

Re: What's your breaking point (in $) for resigning Vucevic? 

Post#2 » by OrlandoNed » Tue May 7, 2019 7:29 pm

Went with 21 per, only because 20 wasn't an option.

We simply cannot afford to sign Vuc to an exorbitant contract and completely erase our cap flexibility for the next few years. I am NOT comfortable committing our team and cap for the next 3-5 years to a guy at the least valuable position in the game who completely disappeared in the playoffs. If we pay Vuc a dime more than what anybody else in the league would pay, I fear we will lock ourselves into NBA purgatory with a team with no financial flexibility with a ceiling of a 1st round exit until another inevitable rebuild.
p0peye
Analyst
Posts: 3,585
And1: 1,717
Joined: Feb 27, 2006
 

Re: What's your breaking point (in $) for resigning Vucevic? 

Post#3 » by p0peye » Tue May 7, 2019 7:33 pm

Skin wrote:I wouldn't pay Vuc anything more than $ ___ Million per year on his next contract. Time to get exact on where your feelings lie. I don't think at his age and position of leverage that he would ever sign a contract shorter than 4 years. So let's go with that.


IMO, this is not issue of average $$ per year, but more important is actual salary in year 3 and 4 as they affect his trade value at that point.

My breaking point in year 3 would be salary of $23M.

This means I could be OK with following contracts, depending on how we structure the deal:
- $96M / 4 years on decreasing contract (27/25/23/21)
- $92M / 4 years with equal $23M per year
- $80M / 4 years on increasing contract (17/19/21/23)

I strongly believe option 1 (decreasing contract) would be in best interest of both parties, but some team might offer better contract, though it shouldn't be by much (unless some GM loses his mind).
Badass of the week: Milunka Savic
Single most-decorated female soldier in world military history.
MagicFan101
General Manager
Posts: 8,349
And1: 4,661
Joined: Jul 04, 2012
 

Re: What's your breaking point (in $) for resigning Vucevic? 

Post#4 » by MagicFan101 » Tue May 7, 2019 7:56 pm

I want Vuc at $20M per. I can be comfortable with that number.

But the question asks for “breaking point” which implies we have gone past comfort and reach a hard limit.

So my answer is $25M for this poll.

I will roll my eyes and be a bit frustrated with that number (ultimately a $100M / 4 year deal) but life will go on.
pepe1991
General Manager
Posts: 9,885
And1: 7,934
Joined: Jan 10, 2016
   

Re: What's your breaking point (in $) for resigning Vucevic? 

Post#5 » by pepe1991 » Tue May 7, 2019 9:25 pm

To be fair, difference between $23M and $26M is Grant type player. It's not really THAT big of a deal. But like many others, $25M is max i would go
"A straight path never leads anywhere except to the objective."
Andre Gide
User avatar
fklt
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,399
And1: 1,466
Joined: Mar 09, 2011

Re: What's your breaking point (in $) for resigning Vucevic? 

Post#6 » by fklt » Tue May 7, 2019 11:50 pm

I always feel like al horford is a relevant comparison for him. on his third contract, he signed for a salary starting at 26 per year and ending at 30, for the span of 4 years for celtics.

let's hope there's a little bit of loyalty discount out there somewhere from vuc, let's ignore the inflation and consider the fact that weltham likes decreasing contracts: a contract starting at 27 and ending at 23 spanning 4 years, with the average of 25 seems likely. personally I would 1-2 millions per year above that if need be, but I hope it won't be necessary.
User avatar
Skin
RealGM
Posts: 14,862
And1: 6,822
Joined: Jul 03, 2009
   

Re: What's your breaking point (in $) for resigning Vucevic? 

Post#7 » by Skin » Wed May 8, 2019 6:38 am

pepe1991 wrote:To be fair, difference between $23M and $26M is Grant type player. It's not really THAT big of a deal. But like many others, $25M is max i would go

If Vuc resigns with us for over $25M per year, I want you to be mad. :lol:
User avatar
paperboymafia
Veteran
Posts: 2,848
And1: 372
Joined: Jul 25, 2005
Location: Switzerland
Contact:
   

Re: What's your breaking point (in $) for resigning Vucevic? 

Post#8 » by paperboymafia » Wed May 8, 2019 7:40 am

25 tops
User avatar
MartinsIzAfraud
Veteran
Posts: 2,707
And1: 2,160
Joined: Mar 07, 2017
Location: Work
     

Re: What's your breaking point (in $) for resigning Vucevic? 

Post#9 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Wed May 8, 2019 1:31 pm

re signing him period....
LONG LENGTHY ATHLETIC... CAN’T SHOOT
User avatar
drsd
RealGM
Posts: 26,971
And1: 4,048
Joined: Mar 16, 2003
     

Re: What's your breaking point (in $) for resigning Vucevic? 

Post#10 » by drsd » Wed May 8, 2019 1:32 pm

Vučević is eligible for a max contract of five years and $189.7M with the Magic, which averages to about $38M a year.

There are rumors that teams are considering a max contract of four years and $140.6, which is about $35M a year.

Statistically he was a top-10 player last year and is unquestionably a top-20 player. The idea that "anything above $25M" is a breaking point, I think a lot of fans will be severely disappointed; he will command more than that. For me I am holding out that Vučević will take a "pay-cut" to an average of less than $30M by the Magic adding a fifth year. That is key leverage for Orlando. For example, the 140M another team can spend, averaged over 5 years, leaves Vučević at $28M a year to stay with the Magic. I will call something in that range "my breaking point." I clicked $30M, as it would be hard for me to accept him on a 5-year, 30M-a-year deal. But 5-year, 28M-a-year deal, I could accept that.

..
User avatar
MoMM
General Manager
Posts: 8,772
And1: 919
Joined: Jan 08, 2002
Location: Florianopolis, Brazil
Contact:
       

Re: What's your breaking point (in $) for resigning Vucevic? 

Post#11 » by MoMM » Wed May 8, 2019 3:21 pm

I haven't read drsd post before choosing my option, but I'd go with 28MM as well and my preference is to be a decreasing contract.

A decreasing contract is better for both parties, Vuc will get his money sooner and Orlando will have more flexibility in terms of salaries/trade for the upcoming seasons.
User avatar
drsd
RealGM
Posts: 26,971
And1: 4,048
Joined: Mar 16, 2003
     

Re: What's your breaking point (in $) for resigning Vucevic? 

Post#12 » by drsd » Wed May 8, 2019 6:30 pm

MoMM wrote:I haven't read drsd post before choosing my option, but I'd go with 28MM as well and my preference is to be a decreasing contract.

A decreasing contract is better for both parties, Vuc will get his money sooner and Orlando will have more flexibility in terms of salaries/trade for the upcoming seasons.


Did the sums: 34-year1, 29-year2 (FA splash year to follow), 27-year3, 26-year4, and 25-year5 equates to a 28.2M average. I think this is a great deal for Vučević and for Orlando. He "gets paid" and Orlando is in a huge advantage moving forward with a very, very tradeable contract if Bamba explodes and a cost-effective contact if Vučević continues as a top-20 player that is retained.


..
User avatar
Skin
RealGM
Posts: 14,862
And1: 6,822
Joined: Jul 03, 2009
   

Re: What's your breaking point (in $) for resigning Vucevic? 

Post#13 » by Skin » Wed May 8, 2019 6:38 pm

drsd wrote:
MoMM wrote:I haven't read drsd post before choosing my option, but I'd go with 28MM as well and my preference is to be a decreasing contract.

A decreasing contract is better for both parties, Vuc will get his money sooner and Orlando will have more flexibility in terms of salaries/trade for the upcoming seasons.


Did the sums: 34-year1, 29-year2 (FA splash year to follow), 27-year3, 26-year4, and 25-year5 equates to a 28.2M average. I think this is a great deal for Vučević and for Orlando. He "gets paid" and Orlando is in a huge advantage moving forward with a very, very tradeable contract if Bamba explodes and a cost-effective contact if Vučević continues as a top-20 player that is retained.


..

What an ugly contract. I'm bracing myself for it though. Not convinced this is a "very, very tradeable contract" though. It wasn't a tradeable contract when it was only $14M. Having the label of "All Star" but looking totally outmatched in the playoffs doesn't change that.
User avatar
MartinsIzAfraud
Veteran
Posts: 2,707
And1: 2,160
Joined: Mar 07, 2017
Location: Work
     

Re: What's your breaking point (in $) for resigning Vucevic? 

Post#14 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Wed May 8, 2019 6:57 pm

Skin wrote:
drsd wrote:
MoMM wrote:I haven't read drsd post before choosing my option, but I'd go with 28MM as well and my preference is to be a decreasing contract.

A decreasing contract is better for both parties, Vuc will get his money sooner and Orlando will have more flexibility in terms of salaries/trade for the upcoming seasons.


Did the sums: 34-year1, 29-year2 (FA splash year to follow), 27-year3, 26-year4, and 25-year5 equates to a 28.2M average. I think this is a great deal for Vučević and for Orlando. He "gets paid" and Orlando is in a huge advantage moving forward with a very, very tradeable contract if Bamba explodes and a cost-effective contact if Vučević continues as a top-20 player that is retained.


..

What an ugly contract. I'm bracing myself for it though. Not convinced this is a "very, very tradeable contract" though. It wasn't a tradeable contract when it was only $14M. Having the label of "All Star" but looking totally outmatched in the playoffs doesn't change that.


Not to mention even a little dip in his production 19-20 and he’s going to be labeled as the next Overpaid/Untradeable player.
LONG LENGTHY ATHLETIC... CAN’T SHOOT
MagicFan101
General Manager
Posts: 8,349
And1: 4,661
Joined: Jul 04, 2012
 

Re: What's your breaking point (in $) for resigning Vucevic? 

Post#15 » by MagicFan101 » Thu May 9, 2019 1:04 am

drsd wrote:Statistically he was a top-10 player last year and is unquestionably a top-20 player.
..


Says only a person who knows nothing of basketball or statistics.
User avatar
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
Posts: 45,704
And1: 10,624
Joined: Oct 12, 2003
Location: In the Paint

Re: What's your breaking point (in $) for resigning Vucevic? 

Post#16 » by BadMofoPimp » Thu May 9, 2019 1:08 am

I just don't see any team paying over $22-24 mil per to lure any free agent to their team unless it is a superstar. Hence, if Magic pay more than that, they only bid against themselves.
Image

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
User avatar
J_Magic
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,996
And1: 126
Joined: Jan 11, 2003
Location: Orlando
Contact:

Re: What's your breaking point (in $) for resigning Vucevic? 

Post#17 » by J_Magic » Thu May 9, 2019 4:11 am

Make it incentive based contract. Lets not overpay and outbid ourselves.

Vuc is a very good player and an asset against most teams.

20 million sounds right.
User avatar
Message Boar
Junior
Posts: 317
And1: 341
Joined: Apr 07, 2019
Location: The Netherlands
       

Re: What's your breaking point (in $) for resigning Vucevic? 

Post#18 » by Message Boar » Thu May 9, 2019 10:04 am

Went with $22 million. That doesn't mean that I would be truly angry if he resigns for 25mil per year or something in that range, but if I was the GM, $22 million on average would be as high as I would go.

As to where my breaking point would lie in terms of 'get mad when I hear the contract details', I'm not sure. I guess we'll pass that bridge when we get to it. 30 per year back-loaded would be rough, though.
Skybox
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,814
And1: 1,131
Joined: Jan 21, 2017
 

Re: What's your breaking point (in $) for resigning Vucevic? 

Post#19 » by Skybox » Thu May 9, 2019 11:28 am

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
Skin wrote:
drsd wrote:
Did the sums: 34-year1, 29-year2 (FA splash year to follow), 27-year3, 26-year4, and 25-year5 equates to a 28.2M average. I think this is a great deal for Vučević and for Orlando. He "gets paid" and Orlando is in a huge advantage moving forward with a very, very tradeable contract if Bamba explodes and a cost-effective contact if Vučević continues as a top-20 player that is retained.


..

What an ugly contract. I'm bracing myself for it though. Not convinced this is a "very, very tradeable contract" though. It wasn't a tradeable contract when it was only $14M. Having the label of "All Star" but looking totally outmatched in the playoffs doesn't change that.


Not to mention even a little dip in his production 19-20 and he’s going to be labeled as the next Overpaid/Untradeable player.


If he DOESN'T have a dip in production next year...our FO isn't doing their job by building a better, more versatile team and developing the players around him. Vuc-centric bball works, but I'd say this was the ceiling. He's a great player but he'd probably agree that, in order for the team to progress - it can't be Vuc all day long.
User avatar
swarlesbarkley
Starter
Posts: 2,004
And1: 1,060
Joined: Jun 18, 2014
   

Re: What's your breaking point (in $) for resigning Vucevic? 

Post#20 » by swarlesbarkley » Thu May 9, 2019 2:39 pm

drsd wrote:Statistically he was a top-10 player last year and is unquestionably a top-20 player.


I'd like to question it. Off the top of my head, at least 20 players better than Vuc:

LeBron, Curry, KD, Giannis, Harden, Westbrook, George, Lillard, Kyrie, AD, Embiid, Jokic, Kawhi, Paul, Butler, Oladipo, Towns, Beal, Wall, Derozan, Kemba, Griffin... not to mention younger guys like Simmons, Murray, Luka, Mitchell, Tatum

"Unquestionably" Vuc had a top 10 PER last year. Subjectively, he's a top 50 player. Lots of guys in the 20-50 range I'd rather have on this team.

Return to Orlando Magic