ImageImageImageImage

What's your breaking point (in $) for resigning Vucevic?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

I wouldn't pay Vuc anything more than $ ___ Million per year on his next 4 year contract.

$30M
4%
$29M
No votes
$28M
1%
$27M
6%
$26M
1%
$25M
25%
$24M
14%
$23M
7%
$22M
15%
$21M
26%

Total votes: 72

ezzzp
Head Coach
And1: 3,462

Re: What's your breaking point (in $) for resigning Vucevic? 

Post#21 » by ezzzp » Thu May 9, 2019 6:48 pm

What matters is how the contract is structured...not his annual salary.

You can increase or reduce annual salary by 8% maximum.

For example: $25m / $23m / $21m / $19m = $88m
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,077

Post#22 » by bigdogdylan5 » Thu May 9, 2019 7:48 pm

fklt wrote:I always feel like al horford is a relevant comparison for him. on his third contract, he signed for a salary starting at 26 per year and ending at 30, for the span of 4 years for celtics.

let's hope there's a little bit of loyalty discount out there somewhere from vuc, let's ignore the inflation and consider the fact that weltham likes decreasing contracts: a contract starting at 27 and ending at 23 spanning 4 years, with the average of 25 seems likely. personally I would 1-2 millions per year above that if need be, but I hope it won't be necessary.

That scares the **** out of me. Horford's defense and ability to shoot threes is pretty significantly better than Vuc and even with that i bet the celtics would get out of that contract if they could
Fine print disclaimer for Fultz:
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year… and I did and he sucks time to move on.
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach

Post#23 » by bigdogdylan5 » Thu May 9, 2019 7:52 pm

Idk this does feel like a binary decision so the point of exactly the salary is seems moot. Its either you feel he is worth sinking that much of the cap into him or not. The percentage of cap between 20-26 not a huge deal. I think there should be an option to not sign him at all or a lesser than that option.
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year… and I did and he sucks time to move on.
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach

Post#24 » by bigdogdylan5 » Thu May 9, 2019 7:56 pm

drsd wrote:Vučević is eligible for a max contract of five years and $189.7M with the Magic, which averages to about $38M a year.

There are rumors that teams are considering a max contract of four years and $140.6, which is about $35M a year.

Statistically he was a top-10 player last year and is unquestionably a top-20 player. The idea that "anything above $25M" is a breaking point, I think a lot of fans will be severely disappointed; he will command more than that. For me I am holding out that Vučević will take a "pay-cut" to an average of less than $30M by the Magic adding a fifth year. That is key leverage for Orlando. For example, the 140M another team can spend, averaged over 5 years, leaves Vučević at $28M a year to stay with the Magic. I will call something in that range "my breaking point." I clicked $30M, as it would be hard for me to accept him on a 5-year, 30M-a-year deal. But 5-year, 28M-a-year deal, I could accept that.

Good lord if that is the case i hope we just let him walk. I dont feel comfortable giving him 20M and putting a big cap burden on ourselves. He was very good this year but it was still one good year you would be paying him for and he is getting older and slower.
NavalAviator94
Analyst
And1: 1,456

Post#25 » by NavalAviator94 » Thu May 9, 2019 9:31 pm

For me $100m. Capela is my benchmark. $80-$90m + incentives.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,600

Post#26 » by BadMofoPimp » Thu May 9, 2019 10:18 pm

bigdogdylan5 wrote:
drsd wrote:Vučević is eligible for a max contract of five years and $189.7M with the Magic, which averages to about $38M a year.

There are rumors that teams are considering a max contract of four years and $140.6, which is about $35M a year.

Statistically he was a top-10 player last year and is unquestionably a top-20 player. The idea that "anything above $25M" is a breaking point, I think a lot of fans will be severely disappointed; he will command more than that. For me I am holding out that Vučević will take a "pay-cut" to an average of less than $30M by the Magic adding a fifth year. That is key leverage for Orlando. For example, the 140M another team can spend, averaged over 5 years, leaves Vučević at $28M a year to stay with the Magic. I will call something in that range "my breaking point." I clicked $30M, as it would be hard for me to accept him on a 5-year, 30M-a-year deal. But 5-year, 28M-a-year deal, I could accept that.

Good lord if that is the case i hope we just let him walk. I dont feel comfortable giving him 20M and putting a big cap burden on ourselves. He was very good this year but it was still one good year you would be paying him for and he is getting older and slower.

I don't think any team in the NBA could afford to pay $30 mil per for Vooch and still intend to be competitive long term. He will get $20-24. Book it.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
ezzzp
Head Coach

Post#27 » by ezzzp » Thu May 9, 2019 10:25 pm

drsd wrote:There are rumors that teams are considering a max contract of four years and $140.6, which is about $35M a year.

I haven't heard this, what teams are you speaking of?
ezzzp
Head Coach

Post#28 » by ezzzp » Thu May 9, 2019 10:58 pm

NavalAviator94 wrote:For me $100m. Capela is my benchmark. $80-$90m + incentives.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums

Cappella's is a 5 year deal so he gets smaller annual $...for Vucevic a 4yr / $100m dollar deal w/built in incentives can look something like this...

FLAT:

(19-20) $25.00m / (20-21) $25.00m / (21-22) $25.00m / (22-23) $25.00m

8% ANNUAL DECLINE:

(19-20) $28.41m / (20-21) $26.14m / (21-22) $23.86m / (22-23) $21.59m

8% ANNUAL RAISES:

(19-20) $22.32m / (20-21) $24.11m / (21-22) $25.89m / (22-23) $27.68m
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#29 » by MoMM » Thu May 9, 2019 11:45 pm

Would you rather have Vuc or Klay? Because Klay wants 190MM/5years. That's way more than we are talking about. I'd place both, at least, in the same tier. Also Klay is 6 months older.
NotACat
Veteran
And1: 1,300

Post#30 » by NotACat » Fri May 10, 2019 12:01 am

MoMM wrote:Would you rather have Vuc or Klay? Because Klay wants 190MM/5years. That's way more than we are talking about. I'd place both, at least, in the same tier. Also Klay is 6 months older.

Klay easily. Give MLE to DeAndre Jordan, Kanter, or Brook Lopez.
Black Lives Matter
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach

Post#31 » by bigdogdylan5 » Fri May 10, 2019 12:13 am

BadMofoPimp wrote:
bigdogdylan5 wrote:

I don't think any team in the NBA could afford to pay $30 mil per for Vooch and still intend to be competitive long term. He will get $20-24. Book it.

Idk man I hope it isn’t from us then. This team needs a scoring guard desperately that is my number one goal. You have to keep the cap flexibility to be able to pounce on one.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,600

Post#32 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri May 10, 2019 12:13 am

bigdogdylan5 wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:
bigdogdylan5 wrote:Good lord if that is the case i hope we just let him walk. I dont feel comfortable giving him 20M and putting a big cap burden on ourselves. He was very good this year but it was still one good year you would be paying him for and he is getting older and slower.

Idk man I hope it isn’t from us then. This team needs a scoring guard desperately that is my number one goal. You have to keep the cap flexibility to be able to pounce on one.

Ross is a scoring Guard.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Mauro Pedrosa
Analyst
And1: 4,387

Post#33 » by Mauro Pedrosa » Fri May 10, 2019 11:42 am

Wouldn't pay him anything more than the minimum wage
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#34 » by drsd » Fri May 10, 2019 2:00 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
drsd wrote:Statistically he was a top-10 player last year and is unquestionably a top-20 player.

Says only a person who knows nothing of basketball or statistics.

I might know nothing on basketball, but I have published a number of peer-review statistical papers in research journals. So maybe I know a little about that.

drsd
RealGM

Post#35 » by drsd » Fri May 10, 2019 2:01 pm

J_Magic wrote:Make it incentive based contract. Lets not overpay and outbid ourselves.

Vuc is a very good player and an asset against most teams.

20 million sounds right.

20M-base per year with incentive kickers from 0-10M a year; that is a great idea.

MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#36 » by MagicFan101 » Fri May 10, 2019 2:19 pm

drsd wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
drsd wrote:Statistically he was a top-10 player last year and is unquestionably a top-20 player.

I might know nothing on basketball, but I have published a number of peer-review statistical papers in research journals. So maybe I know a little about that.

“Best” is extremely subjective yet you declare him “unquestionably top 20” in that rank without defining the rules of your target variable.

You are lucky your papers did not cross my desk for peer review if this is your standard of validation.
drsd
RealGM

Post#37 » by drsd » Fri May 10, 2019 5:34 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
drsd wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:

“Best” is extremely subjective yet you declare him “unquestionably top 20” in that rank without defining the rules of your target variable.

You are lucky your papers did not cross my desk for peer review if this is your standard of validation.

Again: I never qualified myself as basketball competent :wink:

Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,534

Post#38 » by Furinkazan » Fri May 10, 2019 7:25 pm

anything more than 15 is my breaking point
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#39 » by MoMM » Fri May 10, 2019 8:06 pm

drsd wrote:
J_Magic wrote:Make it incentive based contract. Lets not overpay and outbid ourselves.

Vuc is a very good player and an asset against most teams.

20 million sounds right.

20M-base per year with incentive kickers from 0-10M a year; that is a great idea.

How incentive kickers impact the cap space? I have no idea about it.
drsd
RealGM

Post#40 » by drsd » Sun May 12, 2019 7:51 am

MoMM wrote:How incentive kickers impact the cap space? I have no idea about it.

Salary Cap FAQ

More info, but two key points.

Performance incentives are classified as either "likely to be achieved" or "not likely to be achieved," with only the likely incentives included in the player's salary and team salary amounts. The determination of whether an incentive is likely or not likely is based on whether the criterion was achieved in the previous season. For example, if a player had seven assists per game the previous season, then an incentive based on seven assists per game would be classified as likely to be achieved, but one based on eight assists per game would be classified as not likely.

All performance incentives are re-evaluated at the start of each season to determine whether they should be classified as likely or not likely to be achieved.

Return to Orlando Magic