ImageImageImageImage

Listen Everyone... draft GUARDS THAT CAN SHOOT/SCORE

Moderators: SOUL, Def Swami, UCF, UCFJayBird, ChosenSavior, Howard Mass, Knightro

Magic4champ
Junior
And1: 122

Re: Listen Everyone... draft GUARDS THAT CAN SHOOT/SCORE 

Post#41 » by Magic4champ » Mon May 27, 2019 2:57 am

If we will give up on Vooch as our Center, hopefully we get a playmaking Center who plays tough defense and initiates our offense like Draymond does to the Warriors. Bamba to me is just a stretch Center with no playmaking skills.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 4,056

Post#42 » by drsd » Mon May 27, 2019 8:17 am

thelead wrote:Even if Fultz pans out, and I really hope that he does, it would be nice to have more than just one consistent scorer from the wing.

This year the Magic proved that having a consistent jump shooter as the 6th man was effective. In this draft, that might project to be either KZ Okpala or Tyler Herro. I think the Magic can trade down for either.

For example the Magic could draft Bol Bol and trade his right to the Pacers for KZ Okpala and the Pacers 2020 second.

taj2133
General Manager
And1: 2,971

Post#43 » by taj2133 » Mon May 27, 2019 8:36 am

drsd wrote:
thelead wrote:Even if Fultz pans out, and I really hope that he does, it would be nice to have more than just one consistent scorer from the wing.

This year the Magic proved that having a consistent jump shooter as the 6th man was effective. In this draft, that might project to be either KZ Okpala or Tyler Herro. I think the Magic can trade down for either.

For example the Magic could draft Bol Bol and trade his right to the Pacers for KZ Okpala and the Pacers 2020 second.

The problem with kz okpala he didn't have a good workout with the jazz yesterday and was scared to shot in his workout. It was also talked about kz okpala not so good workout with the jazz by there director of scouting walt perrin, the one thing about clifford is he doesn't like guys who are scared too shot the ball. I think tyler herro is going to boston at 14 danny ainge loves that guy and wants to pick him. I think best person for you guys to take a chance on his keldon johnson that guy looks like he can be an all star he is sleeper pick.
Read on Twitter
Xatticus
Analyst
And1: 3,410

Post#44 » by Xatticus » Mon May 27, 2019 9:56 am

drsd wrote:

Okpala isn't a shooter at present. He is very much going to be a project. He wasn't that highly regarded coming out of HS and he had a really rough freshman season. What he has going for him is impressive measurements, solid athleticism, and demonstrable improvement in his sophomore season.

It's important to note that that doesn't mean he was particularly good in his sophomore season. His BPM was underwhelming and Stanford wasn't very good this year. His TRB% was quite low for his size. He has the physical tools to disrupt at the defensive end, but his steal and block rates were pedestrian. His turnover rate was improved, but still high.

Okpala's improvement in shooting this season was encouraging, but his 3-point attempt rate wasn't that high and his FT% was below 70% again. He uses his physical tools to work his way to the basket and he forced the issue regularly. He had high usage and free throw rates, but his overall efficiency wasn't all that good and his finishing at the rim was quite poor for someone with his size.

The upside is there because of his physical tools, but he doesn't use those tools to impact the game in a variety of ways. He is someone I would take a chance on if he checks the work rate and character boxes, though there will almost certainly be a number of players available at 16 that I would prefer. I wouldn't expect much from him next year. The low rebound rate and poor finishing at the rim are really concerning to me.
npiper17
General Manager
And1: 2,309

Post#45 » by npiper17 » Mon May 27, 2019 7:52 pm

Leaning towards Alexander-Walker but I doubt he’s there when we pick. Think he might go the Heat or Celtics.
MagicMatic
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,468

Post#46 » by MagicMatic » Mon May 27, 2019 9:17 pm

Xatticus wrote:
drsd wrote:

Okpala isn't a shooter at present. He is very much going to be a project. He wasn't that highly regarded coming out of HS and he had a really rough freshman season. What he has going for him is impressive measurements, solid athleticism, and demonstrable improvement in his sophomore season.

It's important to note that that doesn't mean he was particularly good in his sophomore season. His BPM was underwhelming and Stanford wasn't very good this year. His TRB% was quite low for his size. He has the physical tools to disrupt at the defensive end, but his steal and block rates were pedestrian. His turnover rate was improved, but still high.

Okpala's improvement in shooting this season was encouraging, but his 3-point attempt rate wasn't that high and his FT% was below 70% again. He uses his physical tools to work his way to the basket and he forced the issue regularly. He had high usage and free throw rates, but his overall efficiency wasn't all that good and his finishing at the rim was quite poor for someone with his size.

The upside is there because of his physical tools, but he doesn't use those tools to impact the game in a variety of ways. He is someone I would take a chance on if he checks the work rate and character boxes, though there will almost certainly be a number of players available at 16 that I would prefer. I wouldn't expect much from him next year. The low rebound rate and poor finishing at the rim are really concerning to me.

I could totally see this FO selecting a player like Okpala. Out of the obvious players like NAW, Herro, and Langford I could also see them reaching for KZ or trading up for Sekou or Culver somehow.

Return to Orlando Magic