ImageImageImageImage

How would you address our PG situation for next year?

Moderators: Def Swami, UCF, UCFJayBird, ChosenSavior, Howard Mass, Knightro, SOUL

How would you address our PG situation for next year?

Draft one at 16.
2%
Draft one at 46.
12%
Sign help in FA. Who?
22%
Trade for one. Who?
32%
Other
32%

Total votes: 41

Village Idiot
Head Coach
And1: 744

Re: How would you address our PG situation for next year? 

Post#61 » by Village Idiot » Wed May 29, 2019 1:54 pm

swarlesbarkley wrote:Not sure how much Portland likes Anfernee Simons, but I'd love to somehow trade for him. Then he and Fultz can battle it out for long-term starter while still keeping DJ around.
He really shined in the one game he started against Sacramento. Apparently Damian Lillard has taken him under his wing and he's learning and improving faster than the Blazers expected. Clearly the kid has a ton of potential with tier 1 athleticism, good court vision and timing and a quick release jumper. However he will be stuck behind Damian and CJ in the guard rotation. We fully expect Seth Curry to be let go and for Simons to get a consistent role off the bench. I imagine Portland will move it's pick and Turner to resign Hood.

Nevertheless the Blazers clearly are in win now mode and Simons can undoubtedly be had in the right deal. Looking at your roster Gordon, Issac and maybe Bamba would be of interest but of course the Blazers would have to add a lot more for the first two. Fournier is of no interest. I imagine we value Simons over your pick this year. I have a hard time seeing a mutually beneficial deal. Make us an offer.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Dan G.
NotACat
Sixth Man
And1: 758

Post#62 » by NotACat » Wed May 29, 2019 2:06 pm

Village Idiot wrote:
swarlesbarkley wrote:Not sure how much Portland likes Anfernee Simons, but I'd love to somehow trade for him. Then he and Fultz can battle it out for long-term starter while still keeping DJ around.
He really shined in the one game he started against Sacramento. Apparently Damian Lillard has taken him under his wing and he's learning and improving faster than the Blazers expected. Clearly the kid has a ton of potential with tier 1 athleticism, good court vision and timing and a quick release jumper. However he will be stuck behind Damian and CJ in the guard rotation. We fully expect Seth Curry to be let go and for Simons to get a consistent role off the bench. I imagine Portland will move it's pick and Turner to resign Hood.

Nevertheless the Blazers clearly are in win now mode and Simons can undoubtedly be had in the right deal. Looking at your roster Gordon, Issac and maybe Bamba would be of interest but of course the Blazers would have to add a lot more for the first two. Fournier is of no interest. I imagine we value Simons over your pick this year. I have a hard time seeing a mutually beneficial deal. Make us an offer.

I don't think a deal can be reached without a 3rd team. We're not trading any of Bamba, Isaac, or Gordon so Fournier is our only expendable asset, but he doesn't work with Dame and CJ. We also just acquired Fultz so Simons wouldn't be a big priority.
yoyojw17
Analyst
And1: 2,132

Post#63 » by yoyojw17 » Wed May 29, 2019 2:30 pm

Patrick1978 wrote:
Skin wrote:
Patrick1978 wrote:Absolutely.
There are a lot of interesting players in the second round.
Jaylen Nowell
Shamorie Ponds
Ky Bowman
Jalen Lecque
Jaylen Hands

Or may be weltman goes for Carsen Edwards in the first round.Who knows.....

Who are your draft favorites for Orlando?

In Round 2 I like:

Cody Martin - Big PG. Reminds me of a Brogdon-ish type of pick. Higher floor than most because he's a Senior, but could surprise people with how easily his game translates.

Jaylen Nowell - Not really a PG but could be developed into one. Kind of reminds me of T-Ross in his style of play. Smooth operator.

Jaylen Hands - Bad freshman year playing next to Aaron Holiday hurt his stock, but had a really nice bounce back season. Doesn't have an NBA body yet, but one he does he could be a late bloomer who ends up being a star. Love him.

Jalen Lecque - Raw athleticism is elite but needs work on his shooting. More boom than bust potential. Would support the pick.

Ky Bowman - 6'1, but 6'7 wingspan helps. Explosive player who can also shoot. Lots to like as he plays with tenacity.

-----‐--------

Shamorie Ponds - Don't bother.

Completely forgot about Cody Martin.
Yes,i like his game a lot,would be a great pick up.

For te first round pick i have a feeling that weltman and hammond will draft a player that nobody expects and nobody is talking about.

The Fultz acquisition is our investment into filling the void at point guard. He was acquired and never expected from the get go to even come in and be our savior. Just because the FO decided to take their time with him... doesn't change the fact that his impact could come through and hit the pavement running. We can't let our wants and expectations with the reality of the situation and how it is being addressed. If things start going south and predictions are wrong... I'm sure they will shift gears. Until that point.. there is no need to sell other assets to fill a position that in their minds might already be filled.

needless to say... shoring up the position with returning magicians Briscoe and/or MCW.... or drafting a PG in the second round seems like great ideas to me. Any of the guys mentioned would be greatly welcomed. I like the Martin pick up for sure!
Bigmagicfan82
Starter
And1: 211

Post#64 » by Bigmagicfan82 » Fri May 31, 2019 12:15 am

Let's sit back and see what we have in Fultz. If he doesn't work out, then either trade for one at the deadline or focus on drafting one in next year's draft.
basketballRob
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,738

Post#65 » by basketballRob » Fri May 31, 2019 12:31 am

If we still had that second round pick we gave up for Fultz, Carson Edwards might have been available.

So I guess it Fultz or bust.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
pepe1991
General Manager
And1: 7,974

Post#66 » by pepe1991 » Fri May 31, 2019 7:53 am

CP3, CP3, CP3 :lol:
"A straight path never leads anywhere except to the objective."
Andre Gide
Skin
RealGM
And1: 6,822

Post#67 » by Skin » Fri May 31, 2019 6:11 pm

pepe1991 wrote:CP3, CP3, CP3 :lol:

If we had Cp3 and made it to round 2 of the playoffs, you would be here hoping we resign him. Don't even lie. That's your exact take on Vuc.
pepe1991
General Manager

Post#68 » by pepe1991 » Fri May 31, 2019 9:44 pm

Skin wrote:

If we had Cp3 and made it to round 2 of the playoffs, you would be here hoping we resign him. Don't even lie. That's your exact take on Vuc.

Maybe because one is 5 years younger than another ? :roll:
Oh by the way people fam over Morey as GM, guess who signed Paul on max contract despite being 33 years old and guy who never played in CF ?

I don't even get what's the point of your post. Orlando is actually interested in Chris Paul , per some sources, and he has long term contract. All that points into simple direction- Vučević will be resigned.
Andre Gide
Skybox
Sixth Man
And1: 1,132

Post#69 » by Skybox » Fri May 31, 2019 10:16 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
Skin wrote:

Oh by the way people fam over Morey as GM, guess who signed Paul on max contract despite being 33 years old and guy who never played in CF ?

I don't even get what's the point of your post. Orlando is actually interested in Chris Paul , per some sources, and he has long term contract. All that points into simple direction- Vučević will be resigned.

he went all in for NOW, I get it- rings are priceless. It didn't work and I salute his balls to shift immediately into blow it up. Like a great NBA reality show :D Will be interesting to see if he can be traded...that's a lot of dough!
pepe1991
General Manager

Post#70 » by pepe1991 » Fri May 31, 2019 10:39 pm

Skybox wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
Skin wrote:If we had Cp3 and made it to round 2 of the playoffs, you would be here hoping we resign him. Don't even lie. That's your exact take on Vuc.

he went all in for NOW, I get it- rings are priceless. It didn't work and I salute his balls to shift immediately into blow it up. Like a great NBA reality show :D Will be interesting to see if he can be traded...that's a lot of dough!

I'm claming for years that most of players don't really care about championships.
It's not like they won't wanna win it, but they care about winning as long as:
a) they get payed
b) they are one of key reasons why they won

It's almost comical that somebody like Chris, who never played in NBA finals, and given his size and age still demanded ( and got) max contract at age of 33 because his ego was too big to take paycut.
Andre Gide
Skin
RealGM
And1: 6,822

Post#71 » by Skin » Sat Jun 1, 2019 12:04 am

Skybox wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
Skin wrote:If we had Cp3 and made it to round 2 of the playoffs, you would be here hoping we resign him. Don't even lie. That's your exact take on Vuc.

We should be interested Chris Paul. He would speed up the development of our young guys and bring some legitimacy here.

Too bad HOU won't want anything other than Isaac, Bamba and Gordon. So he's not coming here.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,017

Post#72 » by Bensational » Sat Jun 1, 2019 2:41 am

I still think George Hill has good years left, and in my opinion he looked much better than Bledsoe did in the playoffs.

Hill will likely be an affordable veteran at MLE level, too. I'd bring him in as a stopgap PG to replace DJ whilst Fultz is returning.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#73 » by Bensational » Sat Jun 1, 2019 2:49 am

Skin wrote:
Skybox wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

We should be interested Chris Paul. He would speed up the development of our young guys and bring some legitimacy here.

Too bad HOU won't want anything other than Isaac, Bamba and Gordon. So he's not coming here.

I despise Chris Paul these days, and wouldn't trust him not to become a negative locker room presence if he ended up here. 37 year old Paul getting paid $40M will be crippling financially, especially since it overlaps with when our rookie contracts expire and would need extensions. That means once he's gone, we likely still won't have cap space potential to chase a big name.

BUT... Playing devil's advocate to my own opinion. Fournier + Mozgov + DJ might get Houston listening.

Vuc/Bamba
Gordon/X
Isaac/Iwundu
Ross/NAW/Frazier
Paul/Fultz

Who knows, maybe Paul gets that team into the 2nd round? But his days of carrying teams are long gone, so he would need more help, and I don't think we'd have enough of it.

I just have to think that $40M could be better spent elsewhere.
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 11,157

Post#74 » by Howard Mass » Sat Jun 1, 2019 11:10 am

Bensational wrote:I still think George Hill has good years left, and in my opinion he looked much better than Bledsoe did in the playoffs.

Hill will likely be an affordable veteran at MLE level, too. I'd bring him in as a stopgap PG to replace DJ whilst Fultz is returning.

George Hill is a possibility.

My feeling is with DJ Augustin coming back and The Magic wanting to be careful with Markelle Fultz, they will carry 4 point guards with either Michael Carter-Williams or Isaiah Briscoe returning.

I feel they could use a veteran like Hill for one year so they have depth there regardless of what happens with Fultz.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 10,640

Post#75 » by BadMofoPimp » Sat Jun 1, 2019 12:09 pm

Howard Mass wrote:
Bensational wrote:I still think George Hill has good years left, and in my opinion he looked much better than Bledsoe did in the playoffs.

My feeling is with DJ Augustin coming back and The Magic wanting to be careful with Markelle Fultz, they will carry 4 point guards with either Michael Carter-Williams or Isaiah Briscoe returning.

I feel they could use a veteran like Hill for one year so they have depth there regardless of what happens with Fultz.

Michael Carter-Williams AND Isaiah Briscoe returning would make 4!

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Skybox
Sixth Man
And1: 1,132

Post#76 » by Skybox » Sat Jun 1, 2019 12:29 pm

Anfernee Simons is interesting...but, is he really much more interesting than Jaylen Hands, etc?....it’s all a crapshoot. Take a swing. DJ gives us some nice certainty (hopefully as a backup). Fultz starts, #3 (and maybe 4 given Fultz’s situation) is a “take-shot” guy, like Bristol was, IMO...MCW was a good playoff bound pickup, but probably not back (unless Fultz is def out- we do need two that we know can play).
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 11,157

Post#77 » by Howard Mass » Sat Jun 1, 2019 12:38 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:
Howard Mass wrote:

Michael Carter-Williams AND Isaiah Briscoe returning would make 4!

True but they might want to upgrade for a year so they don't have to rush Fultz.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#78 » by Bensational » Sat Jun 1, 2019 2:22 pm

Skybox wrote:Anfernee Simons is interesting...but, is he really much more interesting than Jaylen Hands, etc?....it’s all a crapshoot. Take a swing. DJ gives us some nice certainty (hopefully as a backup). Fultz starts, #3 (and maybe 4 given Fultz’s situation) is a “take-shot” guy, like Bristol was, IMO...MCW was a good playoff bound pickup, but probably not back (unless Fultz is def out- we do need two that we know can play).

Simons is well worth the gamble in my opinion. He's a scorer with a good physical and athletic profile, can shoot, and has the potential to be really dynamic. As long as it didn't cost us any of BIG or Fultz, I'd pay the price. Fournier for Turner + Simons would be a long term win, I think.

If the Blazers would do Harkless + Leonard + Simons for Fournier + DJ, I'd do that too.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 9,929

Post#79 » by j-ragg » Sat Jun 1, 2019 2:25 pm

Bensational wrote:
Skybox wrote:Anfernee Simons is interesting...but, is he really much more interesting than Jaylen Hands, etc?....it’s all a crapshoot. Take a swing. DJ gives us some nice certainty (hopefully as a backup). Fultz starts, #3 (and maybe 4 given Fultz’s situation) is a “take-shot” guy, like Bristol was, IMO...MCW was a good playoff bound pickup, but probably not back (unless Fultz is def out- we do need two that we know can play).

Simons is well worth the gamble in my opinion. He's a scorer with a good physical and athletic profile, can shoot, and has the potential to be really dynamic. As long as it didn't cost us any of BIG or Fultz, I'd pay the price. Fournier for Turner + Simons would be a long term win, I think.

If the Blazers would do Harkless + Leonard + Simons for Fournier + DJ, I'd do that too.

I think we're pretty much at the stage everything outside of BIG is something other teams probably won't value. Fultz is a gigantic question mark. Ross and Vuc were our only other "valued" assets and they're both UFAs. I think we'd have to take on long term salary to get a team to give up an intriguing young guy. Harkless and Leonard are both expiring, no chance they'd do this deal imo.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
p0peye
Analyst
And1: 1,717

Post#80 » by p0peye » Sat Jun 1, 2019 2:50 pm

If we really want to add additional PG into the mix, Shamorie Ponds might be available in the draft. A lot of people on this board was all for signing Isaiah Thomas last offseason, well there's young and healthy doppelganger right there.
Badass of the week: Milunka Savic
Single most-decorated female soldier in world military history.

Return to Orlando Magic