ImageImageImageImage

Off-season trade ideas

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,528

Re: Off-season trade ideas 

Post#161 » by Furinkazan » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:40 pm

Hogified05
Rookie
And1: 498

Post#162 » by Hogified05 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:59 pm

MagicFrenchie wrote:BTW,for a non US born, I never got the thing with baseball.
3 hours minimum games with a little much entertainment.
Please explain haha.

If you go to a game at Fenway or Wrigley you'll get it more. It's a culture there. Plus the ball parks and atomosphere are amazing. Now if you go to the Trop in St. Pete...That will make you hate baseball lol

Plus growing up in America everyone plays little league. But I am 32, I think it started with our generation but I do think the internet age started to kill baseball. Our attention spans got shorter and baseball can be tedious to watch on tv.

I think another problem is I use to and everyone in America use to know the stars in baseball. For whatever reason they can't market their players for sh*t now. Josh Donaldson won MVP a couple years back, I had no clue he did or who he is, imagine not knowing that in the NFL or NBA. (also having 2 MVPs is dumb, one in each league, always thought that). Bonds, Griffey, Randy Johnson, Maddox, Sosa, McGuire, Jeter, Cal Ripken....you could go on and on knowing the stars back in the 90s. You have like Trout, Harper and Judge now then everyone else. Hell I don't know half the all-stars.

It's crazy how the game has sunk. World Series is on FS1 now not even Fox. But baseball and boxing are always going be linked with American history so I don't think they every really leave.

Oh yea. And Orlando trade for Beal ;-)
The hero Orlando deserves is out there somewhere, Dwight was not the one we needed. So we will hunt for him...
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,079

Post#163 » by tiderulz » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:02 pm

Please explain haha.

don fret. I'm American and dont like baseball. even living here in Atlanta with the division leader.'

too boring and slow pace for me
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,079

Post#164 » by tiderulz » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:04 pm

Hogified05 wrote:
Please explain haha.

If you go to a game at Fenway or Wrigley you'll get it more. It's a culture there. Plus the ball parks and atomosphere are amazing. Now if you go to the Trop in St. Pete...That will make you hate baseball lol

Plus growing up in America everyone plays little league. But I am 32, I think it started with our generation but I do think the internet age started to kill baseball. Our attention spans got shorter and baseball can be tedious to watch on tv.

I think another problem is I use to and everyone in America use to know the stars in baseball. For whatever reason they can't market their players for sh*t now. Josh Donaldson won MVP a couple years back, I had no clue he did or who he is, imagine not knowing that in the NFL or NBA. (also having 2 MVPs is dumb, one in each league, always thought that). Bonds, Griffey, Randy Johnson, Maddox, Sosa, McGuire, Jeter, Cal Ripken....you could go on and on knowing the stars back in the 90s. You have like Trout, Harper and Judge now then everyone else. Hell I don't know half the all-stars.

It's crazy how the game has sunk. World Series is on FS1 now not even Fox. But baseball and boxing are always going be linked with American history so I don't think they every really leave.

I think part of it is fatigue. 162 games, people tune out unless its their team or a team with a player they either love or hate.
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,936

Post#165 » by Xatticus » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:37 am

Hogified05 wrote:
Please explain haha.

I think a big part of it is how sports and media has changed. You didn't have to watch baseball to follow it and sports weren't as ubiquitous in culture due to a lack of availability. I'm not that old, but I grew up following baseball through baseball cards and newspapers. You could read box scores and follow the season through statistics. The actual entertainment value of watching games play out was rather inconsequential when very few sporting events were actually broadcast on television.

The tradition of statistics in baseball lets you trace the lineage of the sport back to its iconic figures. You couldn't really do this with the other major sports. Tennis starts with the Open Era. Football history starts with the Super Bowl. Basketball didn't really gain traction until the 1980s with Bird and Magic. Even English soccer has a line of demarcation with the founding of the EPL in 1992.

I grew up as a fan of the Cubs because we had WGN and they broadcast about half of the Cubs games each year. When Orlando got an NBA franchise, I finally got access to watch NBA games regularly because every Magic game was broadcast by a local station on our local cable provider. I scarcely even follow baseball anymore.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,936

Post#166 » by Xatticus » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:49 am

pepe1991 wrote:
MagicFrenchie wrote::sleep:
Man offseason is just so long and it ain't even started.

French's League 1 in football starts 2 weeks from now 8-)

Wait... Ligue 1? Is the relegation battle supposed to be good this year?

In the states, the EPL gets far more coverage than the other major European leagues. I get some Bundesliga matches, but I struggle to get into those due to the lack of parity in that league. Ligue 1 just seems to be PSG's stomping ground. I just can't find any reason to follow a league when the domestic title is a foregone conclusion every year and where that domestic champion is inevitably going to get bounced out of the UCL in the round of 16 or the quarterfinals every year.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,124

Post#167 » by pepe1991 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:17 am

Xatticus wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
MagicFrenchie wrote::sleep:
Man offseason is just so long and it ain't even started.

French's League 1 in football starts 2 weeks from now 8-)

Wait... Ligue 1? Is the relegation battle supposed to be good this year?

In the states, the EPL gets far more coverage than the other major European leagues. I get some Bundesliga matches, but I struggle to get into those due to the lack of parity in that league. Ligue 1 just seems to be PSG's stomping ground. I just can't find any reason to follow a league when the domestic title is a foregone conclusion every year and where that domestic champion is inevitably going to get bounced out of the UCL in the round of 16 or the quarterfinals every year.

Yes Ligue 1, i'm not biggest fan of, but it's something to watch and everybody likes to watch own national leagues.
Italian and Spanish leagues should be much better this year than last, Juventus didn't have competition in Italy and Real Madrid flopped hard so Barca had cakewalk through season.

PSG situation is interesting as they have so many unhappy stars , starting with Neymar.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Tarheel
Sixth Man
And1: 763

Post#168 » by Tarheel » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:53 am

Premier League starts on the 10th, Rugby World Cup, The Ashes and FIBA World Cup :D

Return to Orlando Magic